Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1200 LC Akro headers ??  (Read 3250 times)

Offline M0dder Tekkies

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
1200 LC Akro headers ??
« on: March 14, 2016, 03:22:49 pm »
Good day

Is there anyone that maybe fitted the Akropovic headers to their 1200LC with the slip on?

See they advertise a 2.6Kw and 4.2 Nm gain with the shaving of 1kg.

Would mainly like to know if there is a big sound difference

:thumleft:

Offline Famous Fanus

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
Re: 1200 LC Akro headers ??
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 11:36:49 pm »
Bel vir Pauli by GPS 4 Africa. Hy het die complete system op sy LC

Offline Famous Fanus

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 11:38:08 pm »
+27 (12) 6652830

Offline M0dder Tekkies

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 07:04:22 am »
Dankie Fanus

Ek sal by hom luister. :thumleft:

Offline Famous Fanus

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 11:56:13 pm »
Groot plesier! Jys welkom om na myne ok te kom luister, alhoewel ek net die slip on op het. Is die 3de terug in Gauteng

Offline Edd

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 09:39:10 pm »
Ek het die kompleet systeem by Pauli laat opsit.

Hy is n bietjie harder, en die quick shifter klap nou eers lekker hard.  :thumleft:
Face your Fears, Live your Dreams

Offline Hinksding

• is beslaan met ligte hoefysters
  • Bike: Honda XR125L
  • Die aai van Loeriesbaai
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 01:27:39 pm »
Ek dink nie jy gaan daai minUte performance gain voel nie, maar met die sound increase gaan dit definitief vol of daar meer pre is!
Eet vleis! 'n 1 000 000 jakkalse kan nie verkeerd wees nie.

Offline DavidMorrisXp

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 05:47:00 pm »
If your bike is out of warranty, how about CAT removal?
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline Edd

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 06:05:56 pm »

CAT removal also works well, and makes a big difference.

Call Jaco @ Stealth 0eight2 308 four 049.  :thumleft:

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 01:40:36 pm »

Where is he?  I am in Cape Town.

On my wish list is a CAT removal and ceramic coating of the headers

Offline Edd

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 01:50:41 pm »

Sorry he is in Pretoria.  :thumleft:

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 02:25:59 pm »

ok, we can offer 3 services that may be what you are looking for:
1. CAT removal...makes sense to do this whilst headers are off for ceramic coating...
2. then Ceramic Coating, we need 3 days...
3 we stock/sell AKRA slip-ons, and can order in the headers - allow 3 days for headers delivery, AKRA slip-ons for LC we have in stock, you will need to PHONE the store for the price of the slip-on...
4. ceramic coating in usually around R1500, is is worked out on surface area, would you believe!

Cheers
Chris & Team
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 03:38:20 pm »

Call Jaco @ Stealth 0eight2 308 four 049.  :thumleft:

Where is he?  I am in Cape Town.

ok, we can offer 3 services that may be what you are looking for:
1. CAT removal...makes sense to do this whilst headers are off for ceramic coating...
2. then Ceramic Coating, we need 3 days...
3 we stock/sell AKRA slip-ons, and can order in the headers - allow 3 days for headers delivery, AKRA slip-ons for LC we have in stock, you will need to PHONE the store for the price of the slip-on...
4. ceramic coating in usually around R1500, is is worked out on surface area, would you believe!

Cheers
Chris & Team

That is really cool to know Chris, maybe it will move from wishlist to a to-do list now, and you can take the headers off at your workshop and send them to Powerkote?

I have just learnt that my warranty expires in August so it will be the best time to do it then
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 11:56:09 am by meurig »

Offline M0dder Tekkies

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 02:35:26 pm »
I spoke to BMW CT and they said that as long as they do the fitment of the Akro headers (no matter where you purchase) and the CAT remain, it will still be covered under warranty.

Will only do the headers for the sound improvement (if there is) and not really for the power gain.

@ Chris

Thank you for the information. Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the benefit from ceramic coating?

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 05:10:18 pm »
I spoke to BMW CT and they said that as long as they do the fitment of the Akro headers (no matter where you purchase) and the CAT remain, it will still be covered under warranty.

Will only do the headers for the sound improvement (if there is) and not really for the power gain.

@ Chris

Thank you for the information. Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the benefit from ceramic coating?

Maybe Chris or other WD's can add more to this but for me, Ceramic coating keeps heat away from the cylinder head as it insulates the exhaust pipe not allowing heat to dissapate from the exhaust.  I understand that by keeping the heat of the exhaust gas in the header, there is less carbon build up in the headers.  It's only what I understand and other than doing some reading on the net, I cannot provide any other scientific basis

Offline JAS

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 07:36:46 am »
I spoke to BMW CT and they said that as long as they do the fitment of the Akro headers (no matter where you purchase) and the CAT remain

AFAIK if you put the AKRO headers on it replaces the standard headers AND CAT ??

BMW R1200 GSA LC 2016
BMW F800 GS 2016

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 08:06:29 am »

@ Chris

Maybe Chris or other WD's can add more to this but for me, Ceramic coating keeps heat away from the cylinder head as it insulates the exhaust pipe not allowing heat to dissapate from the exhaust.  I understand that by keeping the heat of the exhaust gas in the header, there is less carbon build up in the headers.  It's only what I understand and other than doing some reading on the net, I cannot provide any other scientific basis
yes, that is part of it, another part is in say dirt bikes, they WRAP the headers (but similar goal to ceramic coating) to keep the heat IN, especially in dirt bikes where the radiator coolant pipes run close to the exhaust header - remember these bikes are very compact - so they wrap the header to reduce escaping heat having an impact on another part/function of the bike - interesting snippet!
But dirt bikes also want increased performance, and the hotter gasses have increased velocity (or some-such!) and it delivers a small performance boost.
(whew help me here, fellow tech-heads!)

A lot of ceramic coating is done for aesthetics - if you look after a bike, it still looks good 5 / 10 years later, BUT the headers look out of place, / rusted look, so ceramic coating really makes the bike attractive again, and the ceramic coating allows grit/grime/dirt to be wiped off/removed, FAR easier than on a 'naked' header.

If I remember correctly, ceramic coating can allow 30% LESS radiation of escaping heat, which then increases exhaust gas VELOCITY, since if the heat is not radiatiing outwards, the increased heat 'clears' quicker....

Something to consider is DOUBLE coating (on my 2 bikes, I have only coated the outside, since it was a COSMETIC exercise, primarily...), whereas many people will coat inside AND outside, for THERMAL reasons, as well as looks.

this doubles the bill, since ceramic coaters charge by the square meter...!

USUALLY about R1500 to ceramic coat full 1200 GS/A headers if the CAT has been removed, the CAT has such a great surface area, that it adds to the cost somewhat.

Cheers!
Chris & Team
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 08:08:24 am by zebra - Flying Brick »
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 08:46:17 am »

@ Chris

Maybe Chris or other WD's can add more to this but for me, Ceramic coating keeps heat away from the cylinder head as it insulates the exhaust pipe not allowing heat to dissapate from the exhaust.  I understand that by keeping the heat of the exhaust gas in the header, there is less carbon build up in the headers.  It's only what I understand and other than doing some reading on the net, I cannot provide any other scientific basis
yes, that is part of it, another part is in say dirt bikes, they WRAP the headers (but similar goal to ceramic coating) to keep the heat IN, especially in dirt bikes where the radiator coolant pipes run close to the exhaust header - remember these bikes are very compact - so they wrap the header to reduce escaping heat having an impact on another part/function of the bike - interesting snippet!
But dirt bikes also want increased performance, and the hotter gasses have increased velocity (or some-such!) and it delivers a small performance boost.
(whew help me here, fellow tech-heads!)

A lot of ceramic coating is done for aesthetics - if you look after a bike, it still looks good 5 / 10 years later, BUT the headers look out of place, / rusted look, so ceramic coating really makes the bike attractive again, and the ceramic coating allows grit/grime/dirt to be wiped off/removed, FAR easier than on a 'naked' header.

If I remember correctly, ceramic coating can allow 30% LESS radiation of escaping heat, which then increases exhaust gas VELOCITY, since if the heat is not radiatiing outwards, the increased heat 'clears' quicker....

Something to consider is DOUBLE coating (on my 2 bikes, I have only coated the outside, since it was a COSMETIC exercise, primarily...), whereas many people will coat inside AND outside, for THERMAL reasons, as well as looks.

this doubles the bill, since ceramic coaters charge by the square meter...!

USUALLY about R1500 to ceramic coat full 1200 GS/A headers if the CAT has been removed, the CAT has such a great surface area, that it adds to the cost somewhat.

Cheers!
Chris & Team

My understanding is coating the headers reduces carbon build up as the gasses remain hotter in the header pipes thus burning off more carbon?