'Lyndhurst' Loskop Dam breakfast run 09 07 2006

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IDR

Grey Hound
Administrator
Reaction score
Lyndhurst trip to Loskop Dam - 9 July 2006

The morning started off with a congregation of the Pretoria folk at the BP on Hans Strydom and Old Farm, had some coffee and a smoke, and then a brief briefing, laying down the law about rules and regulations :wink:

This was repeated when we met up with the JHB okes who got lost on the way to Pretoria (how difficult could it be???), then rode to Cullinan on tar, and got on the dirt right after. We were about 50-60 bikes in total - and if I'm not mistaken - all BMs save for 4 Kawasakis.

Initially, the dust was REALLY bad, and the whole group was so on top of one another, that the only thing I had to go by was the rider/dust cloud in front of me and all I could see was the sun reflecting off his helmet. This doesn't make for very comfortable dirt riding :roll: . Luckily everyone eventually spaced out, so you could actually see what you need to ride over/through/around. It's a pity we couldn't take any photos on most of the route, there was just too much dust...check how dirty everyone is. There was some great scenery along the way, even this time of year when everything is so brown and dry.

We stopped for a smoke break around halfway, and to make sure that everyone in the group was still more or less in one piece.

The stretch up to here was pretty easy, high speed riding (once you got out of the dust), with more of the same to follow, until it got a little more interesting just before the last tar stretch with the road having been eroded slightly, nevermind the local residents and livestock providing for interesting distractions.

Damn wall just before the Aventura

Justin's KLE at the damn wall

All arrived at the Loskop Aventura in one piece though (not a single fall the whole day!) except for a KTM that suffered a puncture - which was repaired at the Aventura resort's workshop. Had a huge breakfast buffet - eat as much as you can for R 40!

Magies vol ogies toe - Myself & Rooibaard

Then it was back on the bike for the trip back. The group split up from here, some okes returning via Dullstroom and those in a hurry taking tar all the way back. We were about 20 or so bikes that came back on dirt. Leo led us through some excellent roads, with some technical riding and some high speed dirt sections.

End of the most technical section of the day

The dirt roads are INCREDIBLE, some stretches of dirt looked in better and safer condition than some tar I've seen, apparently some were doing 180 kph on the dirt (won't mention any names, trying to sell his bike :wink: ). KLEs only do 140 on those though :twisted: Justin apparently had a bit of a close call with a tank slapper on some loose sand, but came out alright, I obviously never had any close calls due to my superior riding ability :D

Then finally, waiting for the last of the dirt riders to catch up for the final tar stretch back to Pretoria for a well-deserved beer(s) at Riverside Mixer.

Yours truly posing like an idiot...

Was a great day, with a good mix of different terrain, and finally thanks to KalahariBen, Mikedabike et al for organising, and to Leo for guiding us safely and reliably there and back.