Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Feed back on new AT  (Read 628 times)

Offline rory

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
Feed back on new AT
« on: March 15, 2016, 12:39:35 pm »
Any body bought a new AT  and has some feed back for us all ?

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
Re: Feed back on new AT
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 03:19:45 pm »
 :sip: Also interested to hear feedback.
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR 200R

Offline cheesy

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 03:59:18 pm »
Just heard that the front mudguard and tyre clearance is about 1,0mm. should make dirt wet weather riding fun :peepwall:
Bum in the saddle, always.

Offline Catchy

• Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 04:10:07 pm »
Just heard that the front mudguard and tyre clearance is about 1,0mm. should make dirt wet weather riding fun :peepwall:

That's bullshit, it's close but not that close. You will need to be in some serious sticky clay before this becomes a problem. I just came back for a six day ride in Swazi & Mpumalanga and did a fare amount of mud riding with a TKC front on and had no such problems.

Anyway, there is already a fender lift kit available and if that's not good enough there are also hi fender conversions in development, this does however require two new front brake lines.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 04:15:33 pm by Catchy »
Always keep your "kant" clean !

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Groot Suzuki aanhanger maar eindig altyd op met 'n Honda!
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Darem al weer 'n Honda XL185 plaas fiets.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 05:09:15 pm »
Fok dit bly maar 'n blerrie mooi fiets!  :drif:
Tans.
Honda Xl185 plaas fiets
Vrou se NC700.

Offline Eazy Rider

• Bike: Yamaha XT 600 Z
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 08:13:30 pm »

Out and about on my AT and loving it👍

http://Http://Instagram.com/soul_tonic_motorcycles

Soul Tonic Motorcycle Adventures - Spirit of the open Road

Offline XRRX

• Bike: Rotax (all models)
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 09:30:31 pm »

Out and about on my AT and loving it👍

http://Instagram.com/soul_tonic_motorcycles

Soul Tonic Motorcycle Adventures - Spirit of the open Road

I luvvv the Red !!!  :thumleft: :drif: :drif:

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 09:49:34 am »
Never ridden one, but had on in our Store for 6 weeks, so took in a lot of feedback from 10-15 customers, of which two are particularly experienced riders:

1. One would have liked BRAIDED front brake lines, when he does the high fender conversion, he will remedy this...
2. Most find the footpegs hopelessly too small AND too 'close in, easily remedied..,
3. A good few wEre dissointed that the bike came standard WITHOUT a center-stand, but easy after-market addition, either from OEM Honda or SW Motech.
4. 2 customers already talking about tubeless conversion; 1 importing tubeless specific rims, the other DIY method WITH a couple of safeguards...
5. Possible water trap net behind lowest part of OEM screen; easily remedied -if indeed a problem - with a micro hole drilled to allow water egress...

Most riders feel that the bike 'rides easier' than its engine size would let you think...
Even some sceptics think the DCT is good, and much improved from earlier VFR and NC/X versions...
Our employee who rides an 800 GS and parks it now in the exact spot the AT was parked, feels the AT is 'smaller/more compact/slimmer' than his 800!

Good range of accessories already available (eg pannier racks from FOUR manufacturers) after a SLOW start!

Bike seems in short supply; the Japanese earthquake DID affect production, and Honda scrambled to make contingency plans...

Two customers both suspect that 100HP from a 1000cc is 'under stressing ' the motor, a Honda trait?, say as compared to a 990, that made similar performance 10 years back; don't shoot the messenger!

Cheers
Chris & Team
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 09:50:50 am by zebra - Flying Brick »
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline Scooterbike

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 08:33:07 pm »
Just loving my 3 day old Twin!!!
Not much feedback to give just yet, still breaking in the motor. Coming from a GSA 800, and after 300km, I can say there is more power, and the on road handling is better as the bike is more responsive to your instructions, and rider position is more 'aggressive'. I am short, but still find that my feet easily reach the ground even with the seat in the high position, I will keep it in the high position.

standing next to the GSA 800, the Twin does look smaller than expected.

yes, footpegs already changed.
OEM exhaust really sounds good.

next stop - off-road tyres...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 09:20:00 pm by Scooterbike »
AT (rooi moses); Husky 501, Husky 250

Offline shanti

• rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 10:35:42 pm »
A bit of feedback - done now 7500km of a southern Africa trip , currently in Malawi after moz and zim varied roads with dirt being the preferred option . As to raising the front Fender , don't waste your money been running tck80 front tire and in all the dirt I have travelled with some extremely stony roads I have not had any issue at all , it's your money use this advise or not . As to getting wider pegs I had some and in sand they connect into your legs if you have to paddle a bit , got my originals sent up to me and they are perfect , honda did a great job with them , but hey its your money . Dinged my rims in Mozambique on a monster pot hole , thank god the bike has a tubed wheel set up otherwise I would be still sitting there crying . Dct gearbox is amazing for long days in the saddle , less room for error especially at the end of the day when getting to most of the guesthouses/lodges involves at least 10km of sand . Makes long distance riding a pleasure . Bike is heavy , don't deny yourself this truth but her weight is low down and the gearing is great for long continuous stretches of deep sand while fully loaded , even two up !. Small Things are such a pleasure on this bike , like being able to simply adjust the headlights on the side of the road to accommodate having a passenger at night - just a turn dial . Range so far has been adequate for my journey , I brought along a 5 litre fuel cell but haven't had the use for it yet . I am getting roughly 350km on a tank regardless of regardless of research road conditions . Good bike , starts with a pur . The Honda oem charging point is useless , the fuse blew while using a compressor , it's too much of a pt to even bother find the fuse under all the plastic , luckily I brought another one which I wired direct to the battery , no problems with that . It does have quite a presence so does attract a lot of attention which is not always ideal at the arse end of nowhere . Seat is comfortable but no couch but in its favour is there is plenty room to scoot up and down the seat to change your position , I an finding 70km stretches are my max then I need to jump off and stretch my legs . Speedo is out by about 10% , the lights as they are are great and very adequate . Nothing much to change on this bike aside from maybe get yourself some crash bars at the front as the plastics seem weak . Cheers Derek

Offline Ian Bean

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Bean
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 06:47:35 am »
Hi. Which pegs did you get and are you happy with them?

Offline Scooterbike

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 08:03:14 am »
Hi. Which pegs did you get and are you happy with them?

Got the Rockfox from FBrick. Its a bit of a loose fit as the steel is a little thinner, which means the pin is to long. But nothihng extra washers could not sort out.
The longer pegs do get in the way when feet are on the ground. But does not bother me as I have supper long pegs on my rally bike...
AT (rooi moses); Husky 501, Husky 250

Offline Ian Bean

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Bean
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 09:48:23 am »
Thanks. Stock pegs hard on feet when standing

Offline Hentie @ Riders

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 09:57:50 am »
Ek het myne nog nie baie gery nie maar sover is ek mal oor hom  :thumleft:

Offline arrowfeather

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 02:41:24 pm »
+1
XL500S - sold
GS650dakar- flew of a mountain
XT666R - ridin like a bat outta hell (for sale)
CRF1000l AT - sweet geezus

Online edgy

• Bachelor Dog
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2016, 03:40:48 pm »
The good the bad and the ugly! :lol8:
Moons XRL650 which was mine :'( as well as his 81/82 XL500 that he uses daily around the farm....still starts 1st kick as well!!!
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Online edgy

• Bachelor Dog
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 03:45:29 pm »
I recently had decent offroad pegs fitted as well as SW Motech crash bars and Barkbusters......thx Wolweseun :thumleft:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"