Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: West Coast Baja 2016  (Read 38461 times)

Offline Rokie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Re: West Coast Baja 2016 Updates
« Reply #200 on: March 22, 2016, 01:39:35 pm »
I am no rally rider (yet), but I am feeling particularly deprived. As a keyboard racer I am totally keen to get more stories and info (and pics and video!!)

I guess some of the okes are still recovering and the footage will emerge in due course . . .
Previously owned:
3 x Suzuki DR 600 (1986-ish model)
2 x Honda XR 200 (1985-ish model)

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #201 on: March 22, 2016, 01:45:04 pm »
I am no rally rider (yet), but I am feeling particularly deprived. As a keyboard racer I am totally keen to get more stories and info (and pics and video!!)

I guess some of the okes are still recovering and the footage will emerge in due course . . .

I agree 100%.  Also a keyboard racer for now.

This is all I could get this far.
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline SteveD

« Reply #202 on: March 22, 2016, 01:45:19 pm »
Hey Steve where can we see the stage 2 results?

You want results for just Day2, not the overall after Day2?

Offline luckyloo

• Puppy
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
« Reply #203 on: March 22, 2016, 01:49:13 pm »
Hey Steve where can we see the stage 2 results?

You want results for just Day2, not the overall after Day2?

YES the stage results, please

Offline Geel Kat

« Reply #204 on: March 22, 2016, 01:49:41 pm »
This is all I could get this far.

This could have been nasty, rider went down and the other rider went over his bike (fortunately missing the rider).

I was behind them but luckily had enough space to stop.

Both riders were OK but the one bike had its seat and tail-pack ripped off (this was all the damage I could see).

Once I saw both were OK, one rider continued and the other retired I carried on right up to the dune where I mistook my 450 for a gyrocopter...

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #205 on: March 22, 2016, 01:53:44 pm »
First rider down was one of our fellow dogs - he can decide whether to elaborate.
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline weskus

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Vrek gewerk!!
« Reply #206 on: March 22, 2016, 02:00:10 pm »
 :eek7:
Vorige scooters : Suzuki TS 185, Honda CD 200, Suzuki PE 250, Kawasaki Z650, Yamaha 495 IT, Kawasaki KLX 300, BMW F 650 GS Dakar, BMW F 800 GS, KDX200, KTM300, Suzuki GSXR1000, Honda CD200, KTM 1290 Superduke (stukkend geval) tans KTM 990 Adv - toer,  KTM 300 XCW- funrides,Honda Z50 Monkeybike(projek), Honda ST70 Dax,Honda S110 Benly, Honda C110 trail, Yamaha RS125, Honda CX500 Custom - bar toe..

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #207 on: March 22, 2016, 04:55:02 pm »
Looking at these pics brings back many memories from the past few days - both good and bad - I suffer from hectic post rally blues - feels like nothing else really matters - even a bad day on the bike is better than a good day in the real world.

I must compliment Alex and team on 2 fantastic routes and a very detailed roadbook - in Amageza 2015 he got a lot of stuff wrong and took a lot of flack for crucial missing info on the roadbooks - in this race he went the extra mile and included a massive amount of detail - if your navigation was good and your instruments were accurate then you could maintain a good pace and make good time.

My throttle cable snapped 27 km into Stage 2. Robert and I tried to fix it but to no avail. He carried on and I pressed the recovery button on my tracker. I was very impressed to be recovered just over 90 minutes later by Sean Kriel and his helper - I really expected to be sitting there the whole day.

The bivouac side of thing still needs work though - I can never understand why it is so difficult to be able to provide adequate sanitary toilets and washing facilities - this was really disappointing after these issues were brought up post Amageza 2015.

I am bummed that I did not complete the race and return home with a finisher's medal but I am really glad that I entered and rode as much as I could. I can only blame myself for poor preparation and not checking the cable beforehand - and not having a spare cable with me - I am usually over prepared for any eventualities.

Lastly big thanks to my riding partner and rally buddy Robert Adams aka Darthvader - he drives me absolutely fucking mad with his constant faffing and over analysing everything but we ride well together and look out for one another - during 5000 km of Amageza 2015 we were never more than a bike length apart. Robert starts the stage hard and sets the pace and I usually take over about halfway and bring us home. Thanks Bobby Von Faff  :thumleft:
The older I get the faster I was

Offline Ash001

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Braaaap
    • www.ashbyinteriors.co.za
« Reply #208 on: March 22, 2016, 05:37:51 pm »
Hey gus, talk about having the blues. Miss the sand already. Has anyone got some footage of the mountain section on go pro would be keen to show family at home what devils breath looks like.
When in doubt,, throttle out.

Offline seankriel

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • I'm Living it!
« Reply #209 on: March 22, 2016, 06:04:07 pm »
WHAT A BAJA!!!!

I woke up this morning and wanted to start the guys off on another Special!! I'm having marshal withdrawals here..

Thanks to all the hardcore riders and their teams for making WC Baja a great event and for those preparing for Amageza 2016, goooooood luck with your training! You will need it!!

I will fly till the next adventure.....

It's not what you know and it's not who you know. It's what you know about who you know.

Offline Geel Kat

« Reply #210 on: March 22, 2016, 06:13:51 pm »
First rider down was one of our fellow dogs

And a very nice guy.

After riding alone for a large portion of the 1st stage I hooked up with him and another KTM 690 rider and we stuck together to the DSP and from there back to Port Nolloth.
As much as I like riding solo, riding together during something like this really helps during those moments one doubts yourself  :thumleft:

We started the second stage at the back of the field and the plan was to ride together - sadly it did not work out that way.

Next year we will be back, stronger, faster, wiser - and a bit older  :biggrin:

Offline luckyloo

• Puppy
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
« Reply #211 on: March 22, 2016, 09:42:17 pm »
Hey gus, talk about having the blues. Miss the sand already. Has anyone got some footage of the mountain section on go pro would be keen to show family at home what devils breath looks like.

I have some nice footage still trying to load to youtube think I must rather stick to riding my bike....will hopefully get there & share. also some sand & dune footage.....

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #212 on: March 22, 2016, 09:46:48 pm »
Out of interest - were they running the guys on the GPS tracks and the guys on the roadbooks on the same tracks at the same time?

Yes

Havent read the whole tread yet but NO - only sections were the same for the two groups.

The roadbook was MOERSE BUSY. 200 od km and 400 odd tulips.  NO WAY you can do that with a GPS.

Adie

Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline Grolls

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Think Pink - Think Aeropink
« Reply #213 on: March 22, 2016, 09:59:48 pm »
Would be nice to see where Grolls finished - maybe it's coz I can hardly read believe  :imaposer: the results with these ancient eyes ..............

12th in class - 35th overall
or 3rd last and 7th last  :imaposer:

Not bad for an old toppie Eddie  :ricky: :ricky:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 10:15:56 pm by Grolls »
Think Pink ........... Think Aeropink

086 111 PINK

Offline Rolling Stone

• Race Dog
« Reply #214 on: March 22, 2016, 10:12:07 pm »
Would be nice to see where Grolls finished - maybe it's coz I can hardly read the results with these ancient eyes ..............

12th in class - 35th overall
or 3rd last and 7th last  :imaposer:

Not bad for an old toppie Eddie  :ricky: :ricky:
very impressed

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
« Reply #215 on: March 22, 2016, 10:46:51 pm »
In case it's owner reads this - I've got a rain suit in a zipped bag that a rider dropped. I'd be happy to return it.

« Reply #216 on: March 22, 2016, 11:36:18 pm »
Just an update on team ROCKFOX.

Adie
My KTM started the scruteneering day with a motor that sounded more like a Yamaha than a KTM.  Prolog day it was much more noticable but not too bad.  

Pic 1: I had a nice drag with the old cow against a new fuel injected KTM at the start. Maybe the term 'Klapped that motor came to mind'

Pic 2: Back at 'Park Ferm'  one of the riders ask me if I have enough oil.  The exhaust was wetter than a dipstick. :-\  Best option was not to race and save the motor. We just looked at this.

Mike
The WR (the same one that Ruan ahd so many issues with at 2015 Amageza) decided to play a trick with us. It refused to start for the Prolog.  Mike had an hour to find the problem as he was out of Park Ferm.  He checked all fuel lines, carburettor, spark plug etc. Could not get it solved properly.  When I came back from Prolog we jump the battery for a quick charge and all seems to be OK. Went to bed just past midnight.

Pic 3: a few km's out of town to Day 1 start the bike died. A few minutes later i started again but only traveled about 800m.  This looked like fuel starvation.  He phoned me to pick him up with the trailer as he already checked all possible fuel related causes.
At this stage he considered 'Gooi die Pantie in' and call it the day. After we informed the marshalls about his DNS we drove through to Alexandria bay to see how Kobus (Geel Kat) managed the roadbook on his own.

Pic 4: Back at the 'Boeviak' we again checked everything fuel related and stripped the carb.  The clever people showed us how to check the float level as this was the most likely cause of fuel starvation.  Could not find anything wrong. We checked the sparkplug again.  This time it was properly wet.  Replace with a new one and the bike starts but died again (a few times)  Another Yamaha mechanic came over just as the bike ran again but with a severe misfire this time.  He jerked the wires at the plug to the coil and the bike ran smooth. WTF, you touch the wire and the bike dies, touch it again and the bike ran smooth.  Further inspection showed the connector was heavily corroded and a lot of 'oil and soot' on the terminals.  Maybe someone sprayed some cleaner in  ??? .  We cleaned everything, bent the sockets a bit closed, it started and ran like a Japanese watch.

Pic 5: With much anticipation the roadbook was marked up and we went to bed early.

Pic 6: Mike started about 4th from the back at 8:06.  At the DSP he passed about 15 riders (came in 41st) Refueled, had a snack and was on his way again.  He took a longish break and about 3 riders started started before him if I'm not mistaken.  He arrived at 9:38 (1 hour 32 minutes) and left at 9:55. He was back at the DSP from the mountain loop at 12:44. (2 hours and 50 min.) this time I think he only passed about 3 to 4 riders.

Pic 7: In the mountain.

We packed up and headed back to Port Nolloth.
Leg 3 took him 1 hour and 44 minutes. (finished at 2:44pm)

Summary: Distance 237km, Total time: 6h 38min. Standing time about 25 minutes
               Moving time 6h 13min with an average of 38kph.

Pic 8: Waiting for the results - I would rather Braai and Drink.

Pic 9: Dit is wat mens doen as jy verveeld is. The headless soccer team.

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

« Reply #217 on: March 23, 2016, 12:03:04 am »
Rockfox nav eq.

Me thinks we got it right this time. 

The base Trip-CAP unit worked flawless either as CAP repeater or tripmeter.  All user feedback was positive.

I will try to reduce the size of the manual for upload to show some of the advance features of the unit while still retaining the simplicity of the user inerface.

The rockfox roadbook holder could take the WHOLE day 2 roll (all 407 waypoints) without a problem.  It could wind both directions without any issue.

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline Grolls

• Race Dog
    • Think Pink - Think Aeropink
« Reply #218 on: March 23, 2016, 04:20:53 am »
Here is a short vid of me at the start
Just as I am getting into my rythm, superman flies past proving I am way out of my league ;)

(please can someone embed this - I have forgotten how)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yTZtg1KGGhg" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yTZtg1KGGhg</a>
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 08:33:30 am by BlueBull2007 »
Think Pink ........... Think Aeropink

086 111 PINK

Offline Geel Kat

« Reply #219 on: March 23, 2016, 07:25:11 am »
Rockfox nav eq.

Me thinks we got it right this time. 

The base Trip-CAP unit worked flawless either as CAP repeater or tripmeter.  All user feedback was positive.

The rockfox roadbook holder could take the WHOLE day 2 roll (all 407 waypoints) without a problem.  It could wind both directions without any issue.

I can second this, the Trip and CAP worked flawlessly.

The roadbook was also perfect but mine had one issue on day 2...

When I flipped my bike the navigation tower was first to hit the deck and the roadbook holder screen and internals could not bear the full weight of the WR450 and stopped working  :peepwall:

Thanks Rockfox, the kit worked perfectly and the user interface is very easy to understand.  For a first time navigation rider like me it certainly helped.