Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: West Coast Baja 2016  (Read 38466 times)

Offline Airtime

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: West Coast Baja 2016 Updates
« Reply #220 on: March 23, 2016, 07:58:17 am »
I agree with Justin the road book was good and the organizing ok (army style hurry up and wait) but the ablution facilities really sucked and after a hard day in the saddle one would like to have a nice hot shower and a decent c**p so please can they sort this out.

Offline Rynet

« Reply #221 on: March 23, 2016, 08:31:13 am »
Baja 2016 : What a great event  :thumleft:, was marvellous being part of it .  :ricky:

Thanks Alex for creating this event that keeps getting better and better each year . Loved being part of the back-up team, and had so much fun despite it being hard work. Respect for the photographers who work so hard and I was lucky to be sharing digs with them  . They sat till late at night editing and posting photos , Fanus , Lie-Ann and Shari .  :thumleft: Not to leave anyone out ,but thinking of Andy and Lofty who did the extreme recovery on the mountain of an injured rider coming back back near midnight on the last night . Andy tell us of your hairy ride !

Very proud of all the riders, finishers or not . It takes a huge effort to just pitch up and stand at the start line. Well done to all the riders who did well .  :ricky: Especially proud of Kevin , Grolls and White Rainer  :thumleft:

I get Goosebumps , thinking of everyone's story and please riders share some more stories , we want to hear .

Ash , talking to you nr 17 ,  nr 22  and White Rhino , why so quiet ?
Robert , where are you ? We want to hear . Everyone has their own story .

Thanks Justin for sharing and Grolls for the Video.

Criticisms noted and will be incorporated into planning for next time I am sure . Alex was still in transit and will be back today  . He always takes negatives and turns them into positives and improves year by year  .  :thumleft:

Offline Geel Kat

« Reply #222 on: March 23, 2016, 08:37:42 am »
Summary of my Baja experience...

After marshalling at the 2015 Amageza I decided I want more than that.
Was very happy when Alexander announced the Baja which would allow a noob the experience on a smaller scale.

So, Friday the 18th arrived and a very nervous cat registered and went through scrutiny at 07:30, having to sit around and fiddle endlessly while waiting for the prologue...

Prologue - a 3.8km run going across the salt pan, then around a low dune in a sandy tweespoor, back across the pan through a bit of mud to the finish.
Did well enough there (a number of the top guys held back, wheelie'd across the pan and so forth) a great show for the locals who came to watch  :thumleft:
This set the starting order for stage 1 (in categories)

Stage 1 - Started well enough, about 25km in I decided to wait for Mike (the idea was that we would ride together).  I waited for 40 - 45 minutes before I decided to carry on - rookie mistake on my side, I should only have waited the differential in starting time  :lamer:  
Had a blast for the first 90km to the fuel stop outside Alexander Bay.  During this time I also hooked up with two other riders (who caught up with me on one of my two navigation errors) both on KTM 690's.
We just made the first cutoff and after refuel we carried on with the second leg to the DSP.  Too many stops to rest (and pick up bikes from time to time) we missed the second cutoff and were not allowed to continue on the last leg of the stage.  We had to return to bivouac on public roads.
Navigation was good, I made two minor errors which did not cost me more that a kilometer in total.
Lesson learnt, if you want to ride together make sure the other rider has at least started - it turned out he only made it half way from bivouac to the start before he had mechanical problems and could not start.

Stage 2 - On the back of stage 1 I started 3rd last.  One of the previous day's riding partners did not start, the other rider (also a WD) was there and we decided to ride together again. He took the lead.  Very soon into the stage (I guess about a km or so) he went down in the sand and another rider went over his bike.  They were both lucky to walk away unharmed but his seat was ripped off and he decided to retire.  I was now right at the back of the field and had to get going.  Riding was great, I enjoyed myself and even passed a few riders.

30km into the stage was what Alexander referred to as a "big ass dune" in the briefing - as a matter of interest from what I can see the track up the dune is close to 300m in length with about a 60m climb (excluding the run-up)

A few riders were at the bottom, one was down about halfway up the dune and one was on his way back down for a second attempt.
As soon as the way was clear I took off on the run-up to the dune.  The only way to get this one done was to pin it and hold on.
About 5 or 10 m from the top I accidentally stepped on the gear lever going down one gear.  That, combined with a pinned throttle and sudden traction resulted in a spectacular backflip for rider and bike.
I went down hard and when I tried to get up I felt both my knees were very sore (and yes, I wore knee braces - without them things would probably have been much worse)
I also realised it would be very difficult for sweep and recovery to recover me at the top of the dune, so I walked my bike down the dune, a process which took me about 40 minutes, resting and feeling sorry for myself every few meters  :3some:.  Once down I pressed the SOS on my SPOT tracker and settled down with my radio and water to wait for recovery, feeling rather sorry for myself.
About an hour later recovery was on the radio, they were 5km out.  They then picked up Justin with mechanical problems about 3km from my position before they recovered me.

And that was the end of my first Baja, lots learnt, a bit disappointed with my result but happy that I was there, and I will be back.

The view from the top of the dune (notice the small spec of dust where the path seems to stop, that is another rider on yet another attempt)
The green horizontal ridge in the middle of the photo is about half way up.

Zoomed to the max of my camera.

Nasty landing after a backflip.

The result (bike, not rider) - broken roadbook, screen and internals damaged, navigation tower top bracket cracked.

The other rider on his attempt (after this he went down to try again and made it up)

Not this time bud...

Having had a number of knee injuries before it felt like torn MCL, had it checked out yesterday and indeed, MCL, but it will heal up soon enough.

Next year I will do a few things different.  I am very happy with my navigation and gear, also happy with my riding at the moment but all of those can also only get better.

Thanks to Alexander and the marshal team for an awesome event.

Overall it was great - punctuality is not a strong point and the shower/toilet facilities were just pathetic really (I assume these were provided by the locals, it was really not acceptable when you get back from the ride filthy and tired).

All of these can easily be fixed  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 08:42:13 am by Geel Kat »

Offline luckyloo

• Puppy
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
« Reply #223 on: March 23, 2016, 10:48:10 am »
My opinion on the results :

Each day's stage results should be posted as provisional results. 
The overall classification should be for the rally class seperate from the lite class.  it is 2 completely different races and according to Alex even different tracks. 

So you should have:
Rally class
     open
     restricted
     overall

Light class
     open
     restricted
     overall

Nothing else makes sense!

Majority of riders actually race for the result not the adventure, so without proper results this event is worthless.

I cannot find stage 2 results and even on previous Amageza events one should be able to still see the different stage results. Lots of people don't finish Amageza due to different reasons at least if there are stage results they have something to show.  These are also important results for sponsorships etc.

I had an average first day result after having to scroll my roadbook manually one handed riding in the sand not so nice and getting lost costing me 40mins.  The 2nd stage I pushed quite hard & improved my overall result quite a bit but now I don't have anything to show for my effort......would like to know my stage result.

I will send them an email in this respect.  Was just wondering if anybody is sharing my sentiments on this....

Offline Ash001

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Braaaap
    • www.ashbyinteriors.co.za
« Reply #224 on: March 23, 2016, 12:30:14 pm »
please guys if anyone has anymore video footage let us know
When in doubt,, throttle out.

Offline FrancoisTz

« Reply #225 on: March 23, 2016, 12:50:39 pm »
Great job GK, proud of you.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Offline Airtime

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #226 on: March 23, 2016, 01:58:44 pm »
ditto Martin I feel exactly the same as you I think they need to sort out the results more timeously and more detailed.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #227 on: March 23, 2016, 05:28:07 pm »
Looking at these pics brings back many memories from the past few days - both good and bad - I suffer from hectic post rally blues - feels like nothing else really matters - even a bad day on the bike is better than a good day in the real world.

I must compliment Alex and team on 2 fantastic routes and a very detailed roadbook - in Amageza 2015 he got a lot of stuff wrong and took a lot of flack for crucial missing info on the roadbooks - in this race he went the extra mile and included a massive amount of detail - if your navigation was good and your instruments were accurate then you could maintain a good pace and make good time.

My throttle cable snapped 27 km into Stage 2. Robert and I tried to fix it but to no avail. He carried on and I pressed the recovery button on my tracker. I was very impressed to be recovered just over 90 minutes later by Sean Kriel and his helper - I really expected to be sitting there the whole day.

The bivouac side of thing still needs work though - I can never understand why it is so difficult to be able to provide adequate sanitary toilets and washing facilities - this was really disappointing after these issues were brought up post Amageza 2015.

I am bummed that I did not complete the race and return home with a finisher's medal but I am really glad that I entered and rode as much as I could. I can only blame myself for poor preparation and not checking the cable beforehand - and not having a spare cable with me - I am usually over prepared for any eventualities.

Lastly big thanks to my riding partner and rally buddy Robert Adams aka Darthvader - he drives me absolutely fucking mad with his constant faffing and over analysing everything but we ride well together and look out for one another - during 5000 km of Amageza 2015 we were never more than a bike length apart. Robert starts the stage hard and sets the pace and I usually take over about halfway and bring us home. Thanks Bobby Von Faff  :thumleft:

Nice writeup Justin! Seriously missed riding with you guys... felt very miff not being part of it. All the more so watching my bike racing so brilliantly without me... Nice work Chris!!  :3some:

Offline rubiblue

« Reply #228 on: March 23, 2016, 05:42:00 pm »
What a great experience, first rally I have been riding in, joined Team525 as a spanner boy and pitch bitch - was also a bag of fun, but proper hard work.

Managed to pick up MaxthePanda's machine, as he was getting out of the Rallye vibe. Team Verve was incorporated (Rainer aka White Rhino, Gary aka Grolls, and myself aka RubiBlue) teamed up together with the view of doing the amageza, and using the Baja as a learning curve to getting there. I ride quite a bit, so am relatively fit, and we managed to do 3 road books test (all the same route, but had to do it a few times in order to complete Mark's Magaliesburg road book), mostly due to issues arising and learning various things about navigation, etc. (1 blown engine, a new gearbox, engine sucking sand, punctures, siezing rear brakes and the likes - we learnt quickly). At the last minute to manage to source some crew men, thankfully, they made it a pleasure for us as riders. Hugh and Sean joined the epic journey.

Lots of nerves on the Friday, from waking up early, we were the first to be registered and scrutineered. We sailed through, we had a lot more mental doubt than was actually needed, during that process, was pleasantly chilled and went very smoothly. Our motto of "failure to prepare is preparing to fail", paid off very well.
We were quite happy we went through early, as there seemed to be a building backlog behind us, and we had plenty of time to setup our pits and camp site for the rest of the day. At 3.30 we frantically got dressed and prepped for the prologue. Again, I think I was far to nervous than necessary, it was a blast. Originally i said I was gonna take it easy and get into the flow the following day, but when the marshall's hand dropped, so did my 450 KTM's clutch. From there on in the bike was pinned, about a 1.5 km dash down the runway, over the hill on a sandy twisty road, leading into a sharp right. I noticed someone had fallen, think it the was Bontekoning and I immediately slowed in an expectation to be having to give assistance.

I noticed he stood up and was picking his bike up, all good then. 2 seconds later, my racing partner was shouting and I was rear ended. Thankfully I didn't go down, but I saw Chris behind me did go down, but he was immediately picking his bike up. I dumped the clutch and went as fast as i could all the way to the finish line. Just before the pans again the bike got a little away from me, and i noticed a cameraman was strategically placed, I was hoping he caught it, he did, its a wicked picture - https://www.facebook.com/amageza.rallye/photos/a.999764700059272.1073741911.189117647790652/999771760058566/?type=3&theater

Heart was racing, spoke to fellow riders for a bit and then we were paraded back through the town into parc ferme. A while later we collected our bikes, fueled them, did a few small changes, got our road books and started marking them, so much confusion with them that we ended getting to bed quite late. tomorrow would be a long day we thought.

Alarm went off at 5.10am, uggh, still dark and very cold outside. We got dressed, placed bikes back into parc ferme, had some chow, did final prep, and then we were being lead towards the start point in convoy. On arrival, most had a quick toilet break, and what felt like a few seconds I was on the starting line, started 5th I think (prologue must have gone well), all alone, and the marshall shouted "GO". Fuck ok, and I was off and rallying! Caught 2 guys I think, one of them was Rainer as he had to lead the way, must have been daunting for him. Things were going well, and I was riding very smoothly, came across Peter and Roger, seemed they had gotten a little lost, saw the first GPS waypoint (we were given 6 or 7 for the day), and then rode behind them for a while, they opened a small gap, but I maintained my comfort zone, and was able to see their dust trail at all times. Was suddenly in Alexander Bay and both Roger and peter seemed to be with their crews, mine were at the next DSP. I took my warm top off, and thought I would ventured forth and open the road for as long as I could. Its very daunting opening the road, even more so being only 90km into my first rally. Why not learn the hard way? I rode a little slower than usual, making sure I was on the correct roads, got  lost a little and eventually found my way, still no-one in sight. Continued on some unbelievable terrain, Cudo's to Alex + Team for prepping such amazing routes for us. Top 10 rides of my life. Just before the DSP, Roger and someone else caught me, think it was Peter, and we rode the rest of the way together. I need to refuel with a few litres and fuel the body a little, they continued on. As i left the DSP, my road books un bundled so I spent a few minutes sorting it out, and 2 or 3 guys caught me, Donovan being one of them. we rode the rest of the way together, swapping positions as each person over shot, was great to ride with them, Superman was with us as well as one of the Lite guys.

Was feeling fresh after the ride, and all the others riders began filtering into the bivvy over the next few hours. Had a warm shower, first in a while and chilled the rest of the afternoon. Same process was to be repeated, refueled, make small changes to bike, mark road book, have dinner, riders briefing, back to bikes to load road books, bed. 5.10am, wake up.

Was even colder on than the Saturday morning and our crew left earlier than us, as Alex said the first guys would be coming through the dual DSP after an hour of riding, was a little longer than that, but was happy there were there when I got in. Again, tremendous riding, mostly sandy twee spoor. I felt sorry for the less fit riders, because in reality this was quite easy going, but i know from experience, lack of fitness can make these roads a mutha fucka. Glad I spent 2 months getting into reasonable shape before hand. At kilo 31, there was a big dune, I recall Alex saying it was hectic, but thought he said around kilo 40. Regardless we were in a small fast group (Roger, Brian, Mark, and 2 others I think), I was at the rear and when I got it I could see nothing but dust. There is only one way up a dune, and that's fast/hard/aggresively. Followed my theory, and went straight up, following the thick dust, saw one or 2 riders stuck on the way up, smashed through several bushes but got to the top without much hassle. We made it to the first DSP without much time elapsing, got my goggles cleaned by the crew, and noticed most raced off, didn't really mind, was tired of the dust. Before coming into the pits I noticed just after the DSP there was a right turn off the main drag, but most were heading flatout down the main road. Eventually left and followed their lead, bad mistake, but after a short while i hooked up with another rider and we turned back (Mark raaff and someone else I think). We headed down the right road and the 2 of them sped ahead, I slowed to get a dust gap going. Then I noticed they overshot a turn, I was now confused, but followed the road book from the earlier "Dont follow" lesson.

So I was leading once again, scary shit. The next 80/90 odd kilos was flipping amazing, a lot more technical riding, riverbeds, ups/downs, sharps inclines and descents - very rocky indeed.  Alex was flying overhead, the road books was making complete sense, and I got a warm fuzzy feeling that I was making up some great time on the top boys - either that or he was telling me I was properly lost  :imaposer:.

I knew they would come, but took my time and read the book and kept the pace up without taking any "stupid" risks. The route was fantastic, and I was taking the time to look at the surroundings. Then I shat myself. I noticed 2 bikes coming towards me, oh crap, i have fucked up properly. But how could the book have made so much sense to me. We pulled over and had a quick chat, told them they were wrong and I was right (was the 2 brothers Eben and Gavin - they were on the GPS category), but purely being optimistic and hoping inside that all was good with my navigation. We parted and then I came across 2 more riders (Gideon on the 701 and someone else), Gideon said the road ahead of me was shit. I agreed with them, but purely cos he was going up some of that crap and I was going down, I didn't think Alex would have made us come up that way on these bigger bikes, was pretty knarly. The affirmed my thinking that i was right.

On a long tough descent Roger caught me, and I noticed Brian was a kilo or 2 back, I let Roger go, but maintained a dust gap and a view of him most of the time. Eventually Brian passed me on the flats back to DSP2, again just maintained a dust gap and continued to follow the road book.

At DSP2, the others left in a hurry, but I stayed and relaxed (the 4 other wrong way GPS boys then came into the DSP, and also raced off). We refueled, I ate some food, cleaned goggles and refitted the 2nd part of my road book. Again there is no words to thank our crew, superb work. I think I hung around for a little too long, and decided to go before anymore came into the DSP. I wanted to spend the next 70 kilos working on my nav skills without any dust. Was a super stretch back to the finish line, kept my speed up nicely, worked methodically through the book, and just confirmed my decisions with visible bike tracks every now and again. Before i knew the rally was over. WHAT, all done?

Spoke briefly to Roger and Brian and the Mocke brothers, Rynet did a quick interview. Then did the liaison section back to Port Nolloth. On passing the only real pub, we went in for a "COKE" and some more small talk. Then back to bivvy.

Was super chuffed with myself, I never expected to be riding with some of these "known" names. But I rode on my comfort line and gained a wealth of navigation experience. Loved every second of it. Fellow team Verve members had a tougher day (Rainer bike packed up and he only got back to bivvy around 8.30PM) and Gary missioned through Day 1 injuries (he was not going to start day 2, but some arm bending put him on his bike) to complete day 2 in style - super proud of them both - thanks for the pre training rides and the many beers to get here. A big thanks to our support guys, made it so much easier and made the adventure that much more rewarding by sharing time with them. Alex and crew, great event, a few small changes for next time, but a great life changing experience nonetheless.

Was purely wanting a finish the Baja, and possibly be placed decently (like top 30 or so) and finish with energy to spare. I managed to do this, and was very surprised when Alex called me up for 2nd in Restricted Rally class and 3rd overall. This might change with final timing changes and objections etc, nut for now I am enjoying the vibe.

The bug has bitten....to the amageza in Nov.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 05:47:58 pm by rubiblue »
PW50,PW80,YZ80,KX80, DT50, KDX200,CR125,KX125,KTM250SX,KTM250XCW, F800GS, KTM790R, KTM300TPI, KTM450XCW

Offline Geel Kat

« Reply #229 on: March 23, 2016, 06:11:46 pm »

Was purely wanting a finish the Baja, and possibly be placed decently (like top 30 or so) and finish with energy to spare. I managed to do this, and was very surprised when Alex called me up for 2nd in Restricted Rally class and 3rd overall.

The bug has bitten....to the amageza in Nov.

Awesome write and awesome ride  :thumleft:

Online Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #230 on: March 23, 2016, 06:33:02 pm »
Awesome rubiblue, and what a picture!  :thumleft:
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Geel Kat

« Reply #231 on: March 23, 2016, 06:38:21 pm »
Awesome rubiblue, and what a picture!  :thumleft:

True, and only looked at the picture now, all I can add is  :thumleft:

Offline Grolls

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Think Pink - Think Aeropink
« Reply #232 on: March 23, 2016, 07:16:36 pm »
Rubiblue , team Verve's secret weapon
What a pleasure to have done all the pre race training and learning with you and the White  Rhino
You are a true champion
Very proud to be a team mate of yours
Think Pink ........... Think Aeropink

086 111 PINK

Offline rubiblue

« Reply #233 on: March 23, 2016, 07:19:13 pm »
What a pleasure to have done all the pre race training and learning with you and the White  Rhino
You are a true champion

Likewise my friend. You taught me about guts and determination. Grolls rode most of day 2 with a broken rib. Champion extreme.
PW50,PW80,YZ80,KX80, DT50, KDX200,CR125,KX125,KTM250SX,KTM250XCW, F800GS, KTM790R, KTM300TPI, KTM450XCW

Offline Rynet

Re:
« Reply #234 on: March 23, 2016, 07:22:53 pm »
Baja routes were amazing but what a mess of the rest!  8.20 and no results no prize giving. Cold miserable tent not even a drink! Alex a stickler for the rules and time but not when it applies to him!  Every briefing late!  Suspect like 2014 late event and we'll post your medal!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

GG . I can’ t speak for the event or for Alex , but on a personal note the Oakpic photographers and I were very disheartened to see your same comment as above on the Amageza facebook page at 11 pm on Sunday of the final night when everyone else was already sleeping and we were sleeping off site and couldn’t phone anyone . We felt all of us had worked so hard the whole weekend to support the riders , Alex especially , and to get a comment saying “ what a mess of the rest “ was neither accurate nor fair .

Oakpics’ slide show started as you drove out the gates which was about 8.20 pm and the actual prize giving started at about 8.30 pm  . 
I phoned Gideon at 8.16 pm to tell him the outcome of riding the route the wrong way and he can verify the time .

Alex spent most of every day of the event flying and only came back late as he was dealing with riders who were still riding quite late and also had an injured rider stuck on the mountain . Alex despatched Andy who rode with the extreme recovery rider , Loftie (Scrat’s brother ) . They had to recover the injured rider on that hectic mountain pass , they also rode the route the wrong way like Gideon and Co. did , apparently an admirable feat and only arriving back at bivvy near midnight .

Gideon, the two Mocke brothers and Peter Brinkworth had ridden the mountain loop the wrong way . Roger Kane Berman apparently made the same mistake when he left the last fuel stop, but he had a roadbook and realised his error and turned back after 15 km . However , the Rally lite GPS system apparently doesn’t show you if you are riding the loop in the wrong direction . The way points are apparently not visible or too small to see.  Being the front runners, there also would have been no tracks to help them. The Rally Lite system was supposed to make it easier for the Rally Lite guys and instead it appears to have made it more difficult, on the Loop at least.

A decision had to made about the 4 guys before prize giving as it would affect the final results.   The issue had to be considered seriously as a disqualification would ruin a rider’s chance to ride Amageza later in the year .  At the same time there had to be a fairly strict penalty for carrying on riding in the wrong direction once it was known they were going against the race route.  ( although it was taken in consideration that there wasn’t any way for them to know this when they started the loop anti-clockwise. Also once they met the front runners and realised their mistake, they would have been influenced by fuel issues too) . There was quite a bit of discussion as there is no precedent for this as the Rally lite system is a new system. After much debate the decision was made to give the 4 riders a 30 minute penalty each.

By this stage Steve was at the airport flying to Manchester and he was calculating the final results while the airhostess threatened to leave without him .

All very stressful, but it was successfully done and the prize giving was great and I am sorry you missed it as you had at least three finishers in your group , yourself and Johan Jansen van Rensburg as well as Gavin Morten, who came first in the Open Rally which is a big achievement and I think 4th overall   :thumleft:

When the Oakpics team showed their two slide shows you could hear a penny drop in the tent . Every person , riders ,crew and local helpers , were staring with rapt attention at the beautiful slide show . Oakpics managed to capture the essence of the rally , the landscape and the spirit of the riders and of course the riding and sliding and wheelies and the Gideon stunts .   The riders were of top quality and it was awesome to see them riding and for us to be part of this amazing event .  The prize giving was quite emotional for all of us , the riders really earned their medals and made us proud . 

The riders had lots of compliments for the spectacular routes, the road book and the racing part .  Yes I am sure Alex will take note of communicating more often and effectively to the riders after the daily riding  , as he always takes note of criticisms and comments and improves on Amageza ( and will do so with Baja ) year after year . 

I am proud of being part of this amazing team and I think this was the best event so far . May it grow to become even better.   :ricky:

Offline Rynet

« Reply #235 on: March 23, 2016, 07:27:05 pm »
You are a true champion

Likewise my friend. You taught me about guts and determination. Grolls rode most of day 2 with a broken rib. Champion extreme.

Awesome both of you ,and White Rhino too.  :thumleft:

Rubiblue I remember how excited you were last year to just be able to be back-up for the 525 Team and here you come out and surprise everyone ,very well done . Love your story and yea you rode a near perfect race .   :ricky:
Your photo is pretty spectacular .  :drif:

Offline AlexRG

« Reply #236 on: March 23, 2016, 09:33:58 pm »
Hi guys,

Thanks to Alex Nel and the whole crew... I had a blast! A superb event! I give it 11 on a scale of 1 to 10.

The road book was super and the terrain even better!!!

I made lot's of small GoPro vids including the monster dune, Superman passing and falling, and the mountain section, also one having an "off" myself on a double (!!) caution :-) ... just need to find time to edit and post it.

Well done to each and every entrant for actually moving into action to enter and race. Don't dream it, do it...

Wish we had another one like this, i.e. x2 Baja's per year and then the Amageza.

Cheers!

Offline Ash001

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Braaaap
    • www.ashbyinteriors.co.za
« Reply #237 on: March 23, 2016, 09:57:20 pm »
Hey guys it's Ash rider no 17. So this is my story of the Baja... but first a massive thanks to Alex and all of his team for such an awesome event. Kevin and I loved every moment (except the mountain part- Alex was not bullshitting us when he scared the life out of us at Rider's Briefing on Saturday night). I would also like to thank all the sponsors that bought advertising space on my bike by donating money to DARG (animal rescue group in Hout Bay); we raised a massive R64000 in total. Incredible!

So I drove up on Thursday to get there early but my van's turbo overheated and I had to drive the whole way for almost 9 hours in donkey mode. Final pulled into Port Nolloth around 8:30 pm to a very welcoming group of riders enjoying themselves at a local Bar/restaurant. I met up with Kevin, my riding partner, and we settled in at the unit we rented for the weekend.

Friday morning up early for scrutineering  at 9am and my nerves where shot. Got there at 8:30am to be told we had to be in full kit, so rushed off and got ready.
TT that afternoon and again the nerves where finished, Kevin kept reminding me take it easy on the TT you have nothing to gain but everything to lose. Well that only remained in my head for about a second before Shaun dropped his hands at the start line and race mode kicked in, and I think I was still sideways in 3rd gear as I opened the throttle to infinity and beyond riding it like I just stole it. Over shot turn one and landed up in the bush and got barbed wire wrapped in the rear wheel; that was TT over for me- I was the last bike back in.

Day 1. I can't remember most of day 1 due to the scarred memories of Devil's Breath on day 2., but my road-book jammed at 38km so I rode blind for the first 38 km following tracks until I was 38km into it, when I could finally use my road-book! I finally caught up to Kevin later on in the ride; just as well because my road-book jammed at 200km again. It was awesome: my first rally and using navigation. Loved it!
Got back and my mind was ready for day 2, until Alex told us what lay ahead on day 2's mountain section and Kevin and I decided that night not to do it.

Day 2. Well a good night's rest, a fresh kit, new goggles and race face on. Finished stage 1 and decided to take on Devil's Breath. Refueled the bikes and as we were about to leave for the mountain in high spirits, Alex stopped us and said he highly suggested we do not do the mountain and he thought we should rather retire while we were ahead.  To get us out of there would not be easy and even if we made it, we would not make it back by 4pm to do stage 3 and would get time-barred anyway. O man, the disappointment hit the ground so hard I was sure I saw dust around where we were standing. I said to Kevin 'let's rather leave it and go back home with awesome memories and a great ride under our belts'. But Kevin had a certain look in his eye, the sort of look a gunslinger gets just before he draws his revolver. He was not thinking what I was thinking. Alex then added ''it's up to you''. Well' needless to say' we both knew where this was going and as quick as a flash we jumped on the bikes and took off like we just robbed a bank, heading for the feared DEVILS BREATH.

Long story short we crapped ourselves in the mountain and I have never been so worried in my life before. But rock after rock Kevin and I managed to push each other through it and got back to refuel again at 3pm, one hour before time-bar. We got horribly lost again but finally got back and finished the race.

I appreciate my medal so much and will always have awesome memories of the 2016 BAJA. It was a pleasure to ride with you Kevin and well done! Your passion is addictive!
When in doubt,, throttle out.

Offline AlexRG

« Reply #238 on: March 23, 2016, 10:07:49 pm »

Some roadbook homework for Stage 2 from the comfort of the sunny rental beachouse.

Some photos of the stunning Richtersveld rocks after the mountain section.

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #239 on: March 24, 2016, 12:12:08 am »
Hey guys it's Ash rider no 17. So this is my story of the Baja... but first a massive thanks to Alex and all of his team for such an awesome event. Kevin and I loved every moment (except the mountain part- Alex was not bullshitting us when he scared the life out of us at Rider's Briefing on Saturday night). I would also like to thank all the sponsors that bought advertising space on my bike by donating money to DARG (animal rescue group in Hout Bay); we raised a massive R64000 in total. Incredible!

So I drove up on Thursday to get there early but my van's turbo overheated and I had to drive the whole way for almost 9 hours in donkey mode. Final pulled into Port Nolloth around 8:30 pm to a very welcoming group of riders enjoying themselves at a local Bar/restaurant. I met up with Kevin, my riding partner, and we settled in at the unit we rented for the weekend.

Friday morning up early for scrutineering  at 9am and my nerves where shot. Got there at 8:30am to be told we had to be in full kit, so rushed off and got ready.
TT that afternoon and again the nerves where finished, Kevin kept reminding me take it easy on the TT you have nothing to gain but everything to lose. Well that only remained in my head for about a second before Shaun dropped his hands at the start line and race mode kicked in, and I think I was still sideways in 3rd gear as I opened the throttle to infinity and beyond riding it like I just stole it. Over shot turn one and landed up in the bush and got barbed wire wrapped in the rear wheel; that was TT over for me- I was the last bike back in.

Day 1. I can't remember most of day 1 due to the scarred memories of Devil's Breath on day 2., but my road-book jammed at 38km so I rode blind for the first 38 km following tracks until I was 38km into it, when I could finally use my road-book! I finally caught up to Kevin later on in the ride; just as well because my road-book jammed at 200km again. It was awesome: my first rally and using navigation. Loved it!
Got back and my mind was ready for day 2, until Alex told us what lay ahead on day 2's mountain section and Kevin and I decided that night not to do it.

Day 2. Well a good night's rest, a fresh kit, new goggles and race face on. Finished stage 1 and decided to take on Devil's Breath. Refueled the bikes and as we were about to leave for the mountain in high spirits, Alex stopped us and said he highly suggested we do not do the mountain and he thought we should rather retire while we were ahead.  To get us out of there would not be easy and even if we made it, we would not make it back by 4pm to do stage 3 and would get time-barred anyway. O man, the disappointment hit the ground so hard I was sure I saw dust around where we were standing. I said to Kevin 'let's rather leave it and go back home with awesome memories and a great ride under our belts'. But Kevin had a certain look in his eye, the sort of look a gunslinger gets just before he draws his revolver. He was not thinking what I was thinking. Alex then added ''it's up to you''. Well' needless to say' we both knew where this was going and as quick as a flash we jumped on the bikes and took off like we just robbed a bank, heading for the feared DEVILS BREATH.

Long story short we crapped ourselves in the mountain and I have never been so worried in my life before. But rock after rock Kevin and I managed to push each other through it and got back to refuel again at 3pm, one hour before time-bar. We got horribly lost again but finally got back and finished the race.

I appreciate my medal so much and will always have awesome memories of the 2016 BAJA. It was a pleasure to ride with you Kevin and well done! Your passion is addictive!

That's why rally is addictive, it's you the bike and the course. That there are others on it, only makes it more fun!

I was stuck behind my computer following your little dot and cheering when you finally got moving again after the rocks but groaning when so close to home you guys took a huge left for a for while when you should have gone right!

Well flipping done!
Somedays, life's like a middlemannetjie.