Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: West Coast Baja 2016  (Read 38317 times)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: West Coast Baja 2016 Updates
« Reply #240 on: March 24, 2016, 12:14:58 am »
rubiblue & Ash, well done  - fantastic reports guys! :thumleft:

Rubiblue - Big respect to you for doing so well on your first rally. Those guys are super fast.  :salut:

Rynett - Thanks for you comments and perspective, was good to read.

From what I have seen and heard the road book was excellent. Busy too, but that is normal on a technical route. The Sardegna Rally is very similar and also has long RBīs.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline luckyloo

• Puppy
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
« Reply #241 on: March 24, 2016, 01:27:38 am »
I have posted a video of Devil's Breath here (hope it works - technically handicapped!)

https://youtu.be/KDLa7ctPaec

enjoy & excuse the byklanke it's all in racing....I think

Offline Grolls

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Think Pink - Think Aeropink
« Reply #242 on: March 24, 2016, 01:37:06 am »
an idea of the Friday Prologue ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emdohHCeNB4
Think Pink ........... Think Aeropink

086 111 PINK

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #243 on: March 24, 2016, 02:16:38 am »
I have posted a video of Devil's Breath here (hope it works - technically handicapped!)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KDLa7ctPaec&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KDLa7ctPaec&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

enjoy & excuse the byklanke it's all in racing....I think

an idea of the Friday Prologue ...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/emdohHCeNB4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/emdohHCeNB4</a>

Bliskem, those were lekker to watch! :thumleft: Thanks guys. I hope there is more coming. Grolls, you need longer vids :deal:

luckyloo, you were positively flying through those rocks! A couple of sphincter knuiping moments :eek:  :biggrin:  :ricky:

I have to ask, why were you shouting FO? Flies or bees maybe?

« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 02:17:59 am by BlueBull2007 »
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline luckyloo

• Puppy
« Reply #244 on: March 24, 2016, 07:31:47 am »
Hahaha BB my wonderful ADD mind keeps loosing focus I find it wondering off badly so I have to keep  reminding it nicely to please keep focus but there's unfortunately not enough time to have this full conversation with it while riding 😂😂😡, hence just a short reminder about the talk we had before the race. ......makes sence?? 😆

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #245 on: March 24, 2016, 07:53:19 am »
Hahaha BB my wonderful ADD mind keeps loosing focus I find it wondering off badly so I have to keep  reminding it nicely to please keep focus but there's unfortunately not enough time to have this full conversation with it while riding 😂😂😡, hence just a short reminder about the talk we had before the race. ......makes sence?? 😆

Ha ha, that's funny!
Somedays, life's like a middlemannetjie.

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Matchless (all models)
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #246 on: March 24, 2016, 08:04:13 am »
For those that asked, here is the link to my RR

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=190049.0

:)
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!

Offline White Rhino

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #247 on: March 25, 2016, 11:18:04 am »
Hi guys, Nice to see the support from the forum.

This event was AWESOME!!!!!

I can't compare this event as it's my first. It was a properly organised and well executed event. The little things can be swallowed without too much discomfort. Well one to Alex and the rest of the organisers and helpers.

Thanks Rynette for giving us such awesome encouragement - you rock!

I got to meet Andy (Andy660) one of the soldiers during my recovery - thanks Andy great war stories that helped while the hours away.

My bike started misbehaving in the Mountain section stuttering and cutting out forcing me to call it. I did manage to do close on three quarters of the distance and I was in good physical condition so making it to the end was a reality.

My story will be posted shortly!!
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, KTM500, KTM990 Adv, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline JohannesKotze

• Puppy
  • Bike: KTM 640
« Reply #248 on: March 25, 2016, 10:03:59 pm »
Hi luckyloo, you passed me first in your first vid, then you pased Nilkaus letzeller and then Kobus potgieter. I remember when you passed me I thought geez this guy is comfortable in the rocks. After we met up in the tent and we had a chat.

Us Upington boytjies are much happier in sand.

This was my first event as well and I did send Alex and Marie-Louise an e-mail to thank them for all the effort. I think what they do might be one of the most thankless jobs out there, and I do think it is important to show thanks and give credit where it is due. I know for a fact I will not be able to pull such an event off.

This was a graet event and I will be back next year. I learned a lot and got horribly lost on stage 1. I believe Geoff Patterson and I lost almost 40 minutes.

I will try and post my vids when I get the chance.

Cheers

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

Offline lj111

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #249 on: March 26, 2016, 07:21:06 pm »

Was purely wanting a finish the Baja, and possibly be placed decently (like top 30 or so) and finish with energy to spare. I managed to do this, and was very surprised when Alex called me up for 2nd in Restricted Rally class and 3rd overall.

The bug has bitten....to the amageza in Nov.

Awesome write and awesome ride  :thumleft:

Yes WELL done Chris :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Must have been a lot more fun than being stuck with me in a Land Rover through Amageza :lol8:

Some people feel the rain and others just get wet...

Offline rubiblue

« Reply #250 on: March 26, 2016, 07:39:30 pm »

Was purely wanting a finish the Baja, and possibly be placed decently (like top 30 or so) and finish with energy to spare. I managed to do this, and was very surprised when Alex called me up for 2nd in Restricted Rally class and 3rd overall.

The bug has bitten....to the amageza in Nov.

Awesome write and awesome ride  :thumleft:

Yes WELL done Chris :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Must have been a lot more fun than being stuck with me in a Land Rover through Amageza :lol8:

Tough call bud. That was a pretty good week. Even though we worked like crazy.
PW50,PW80,YZ80,KX80, DT50, KDX200,CR125,KX125,KTM250SX,KTM250XCW, F800GS, KTM790R, KTM300TPI, KTM450XCW

Offline Rynet

« Reply #251 on: March 27, 2016, 12:00:24 pm »
Loving all the updates and videos, thanks guys  .  :ricky:

Here is another mountain Video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_wS1-ncqcY&ebc=ANyPxKrnZmrT61Mmoz949aZDG9CVX30ldnrXfybyK1KEyPYyP5ZoAXO31MaqiwtlZmCSa1xv956JlI8_tNgUMRBS6c1rChIlYg

Luckyloo thanks for your video , it was great to see the riding the mountain paths , and makes me lus to ride . And hahaha its so cool to hear you talking to yourself , FOKus ,  :imaposer: thanks for sharing .  :thumleft:

Grolls thanks for your video , I see it features the para-medic that was in our group that ended up helping Sean and I with the starts , she was sweet and so eager to send the guys off .   :biggrin:

Where is Bonovo? I want to hear from him , give us an update on your healing please .  I'm very impressed with his team mates who stood by him and over him for three hours till help arrived and then thy still rode and did really well , Gregg Raaf , Toti Einarson and Joey Evans stayed with him .

Such team spirit and loyalty from his team mates . Some pics from facebook about the aftermath and one nice one of Peter riding on the Pan.  :thumleft:

Come on guys please post more comments and videos . :thumleft:

Offline luckyloo

• Puppy
« Reply #252 on: March 27, 2016, 07:16:35 pm »
Another undedited video of Stage 2 first part upto before the dune.  Directly into the sun at first, couple of navigation mistakes, some nice speed towards the end.  Sorry if it's a bit long.....I will post my rolling down the dune at a later stage.  Which App is best for editing these videos?  Enjoy!!

https://youtu.be/kDWzqy_mmhI

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #253 on: March 27, 2016, 10:36:15 pm »
Another undedited video of Stage 2 first part upto before the dune.  Directly into the sun at first, couple of navigation mistakes, some nice speed towards the end.  Sorry if it's a bit long.....I will post my rolling down the dune at a later stage.  Which App is best for editing these videos?  Enjoy!!

https://youtu.be/kDWzqy_mmhI

Very nice, I prefer the longer videos to be honest. :thumleft:

Flip, maat jy kan ry! :ricky: Talk about an attacking style of riding.

Offline SteveD

« Reply #254 on: March 28, 2016, 09:38:04 am »
So as always we do a few things differently on each rallye, trying to improve things. This time not so much different, but I would like to hear opinions about:

• Did it help that we loaded the safety waypoints onto your GPSs for you, rather than print them and have you load them manually  ???
  • Did the handing out of GPSs in the morning work out OK, or was it a huge schlep ???
  • Did not using printed timecards make a big difference ???

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #255 on: March 28, 2016, 10:01:38 am »
So as always we do a few things differently on each rallye, trying to improve things. This time not so much different, but I would like to hear opinions about:

• Did it help that we loaded the safety waypoints onto your GPSs for you, rather than print them and have you load them manually  ???
  • Did the handing out of GPSs in the morning work out OK, or was it a huge schlep ???

YES yes yes to all - I noticed a huge improvement in the timing and the "race organisation"

Well done to this dept  :thumleft:
The older I get the faster I was

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #256 on: March 28, 2016, 10:28:49 am »
I saw in one of the videos there was no countdown at the SS start? Was this just a bad observation or ?

Offline luckyloo

• Puppy
« Reply #257 on: March 28, 2016, 10:37:42 am »
Steve the loading of the waypoints made that part easier but the known waypoints weren't indicated on the roadbooks so you couldn't scroll down the roadbook to see at which tulip the next WP was you had to search the waypoint name on gps to see which is the next available WP.  With only getting the gps in the morning there was no time to put this manually on the roadbook. So I would prefer still having WP indicated on the RB.

Offline Geel Kat

« Reply #258 on: March 28, 2016, 11:05:40 am »

Yes.

Yes, No.

Yes, makes life easier.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
« Reply #259 on: March 28, 2016, 11:23:48 am »
Many of the pics from the Baja show a plethora of bike tracks criss-crossing the veld. This is what I was afraid would happen and in spite of asking you nicely it seems that many riders really didn't care. I'm sure that these same riders would never do this in ordinary life, but somehow being part of a Rally gives them licence.

Rallying will have to face up to the new eco-realities. We cannot gooi at will all over the countryside.  So I'd really like to see a drastic tightening up of the track log examination. One where the competitor's track-log is overlaid on the "ideal" track, and penalties are applied for deviations beyond a certain tolerance. This should be for the whole track and not just the waypoints. Existing tracks off the correct track could be included so that wrong turnings only incur their own time penalty. There must be some mathematical way of doing this so that it's the same for everyone, and is never subjective.

If there is to be a future for rallying, and this applies to them all, they are going to have to find ways to minimise the impact on the environment. The global eco-lobby gains strength and us hooligans need to fit in or fuck off.