WC BASH SKURWEBERG 2016

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NIMMO

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
WC BASH 2016 – Skurweberg

Let me start off by saying I am / was contemplating selling my HP and have been playing with the idea for some time now.  Hence this trip was / might be the last on the bike. 

Enough of that lets get to the real stuff.

IMG_4338 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

I left Colesberg Friday morning around 7:30 and made my way to Hanover.  I was thinking of joining up with the Gauteng gang but they were “rustig” when I phoned them the night before hence I decided go it alone the morning when I left.

We had some rain the day before and autumn was moving in, a welcome break from the scorching heat the previous couple of days.

I hit tar till Hanover and took a sub route to Richmond – what a find.  :biggrin:  Due to the rain there were water in the driffies and on all the inside corners.  It was a combination of motocross and touring – I loved it.  :drif:

IMG_4340 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_4342 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_4343 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_4344 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_4345 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_4346 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_4347 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_4348 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

At Ricmond the garage was overrun by guys going to the Buff.  The one guy tougher than the other and talking to the petrol attendants as if they were still in the old South Africa.  :patch: :patch:
People in general must see bikers in that way – and the crowd there was not helping. 
After I filled up at Richmond I set of to Vic West.  I have done this route a couple of times and it remains a gem.  :ricky:
The “lopie” at the fort had some water this time.  In general despite the water here and there you could see it was dry and grazing scarce.

IMG_4352 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_4353 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_4354 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

After filling up in Vic and talking bike to the garage owner (Tribes help with a name please), whom I met when we went to the Verneukpan gathering I pushed for Loxton.  As I turned the tar heading for Loxton I wondered If I would again see a tortoise as I have NEVER passed that way without doing so.  Was not long before I found one of the biggest ones I have ever seen.

IMG_4356 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_4357 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_4360 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

In Loxton I filled up and asked the church grounds keeper where the Ds. Stayed.  She is married to my brother’s best man asn I wanted to rub in some salt for being able to visit with them.  Apparently Loxton has now become quite a hub for Afrikaans movies.  ;)  I have often heard of the Rooi Granaat as well and as always said to myself “maybe next time you can have a meal there”.  I left heading for Fraserburg.

IMG_4361 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_4366 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

Fraserburg has a special place in my heart for no other reason as it always seems to be a clean town.  The domino players as the garage seem to never go home as I have always found them playing there.  :laughing4:

The toll these roads take on tyres.

IMG_4367 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_4369 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

By now I was HUNGRY and could smell a steak with my name on it at Jupiter.  I was enjoying the HP as never before, it seemed to take corners as if they were not there – “what are you thinking selling this machine?” ran through my head at a couple of corners. ;D :biggrin:

IMG_4372 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr