Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1240228 times)

Offline Mrs. Zog

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #10060 on: September 06, 2020, 11:28:52 pm »
But wait... there's more...  :pot:

Remember when I said a few days ago "when we gut the kitchen in a few years and redo it..."?

Well, we sort of ripped out half the kitchen today. Completely unplanned, started with idle conversation over morning coffee... "what if..."

No time like the present! It'll take a couple of weeks to finish though. Purely functional improvements, it'll still have the ghastly 1980s wallpaper and the duct tape on the ceiling for now, but it's a start.  :thumleft:

I'll let Mr. Zog tell you that story. And before he says it was all my fault - we were in full agreement that it needed to be done.   ::)

:pot:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #10061 on: September 07, 2020, 03:03:45 am »
As Mrs Zog said above...  :sip:

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.  :deal:  I remember that was a tag-line for the Jaws II movie  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

So last night the fridge decided that it was going to kick the bucket, finally and completely.  :xxbah:  This fridge has been giving us kak since we moved in here, it must be at least 20 years old, and it seems that it has had a hard life. The internal plastic trays and stuff were all cracked and broken, the bottom trim was broken off, and it has been farting and sighing continuously. I have repaired the icemaker several times already. But last night it just decided fuck you and departed into the eternal freon in the sky.

Luckily we have the spare little fridge in the garage that I scored about a year ago, and we also have the tiny bar fridge and the chest freezer. So we didn't lose any food, thankfully.  Monday being a holiday in the US - Labor Day - all the major stores are having big sales. So I applied for an increase on the limit on my Home Depot credit card, and so did Mrs Zog on hers. Both were successful! So we headed down to the Home Depot with our newly acquired riches in hand  :peepwall: and looked at the fridges they had on offer.

It was a major decision, and very careful thought went into the choice, but we finally decided on a Samsung fridge freezer. It was originally listed at $2 399.00, but with the Labor Day discount we got it for $1 499.00 !  :ricky:  And we had a coupon for $30 off any purchase over $300, so add that to the savings as well!  :ricky:

They didn't have one in stock for us, so they are ordering it and they will deliver it for free as well! They say we should get it around the 17th September.

And that is where the kitchen mini-remodel comes in...

The old fridge is 33 inches wide, and even then the doors don't open properly because the space it is in is too small. The new fridge is 36 inches wide...  :peepwall:

So before we finally took the plunge and bought the fridge we came home again and thought it all out very carefully. With some moving around of stuff, and a bit of carpentry here and there, and some additional plumbing as well, we decided that we could make the new fridge fit into the tiny kitchen.

Back home I got busy. Shelves needed to be removed in the Florida room, then the hutch had all the crockery removed, and it was moved into the Florida room. Then the old fridge was moved over to where the hutch used to stand. I made some more counter-top in the kitchen using the last piece of offcut marine ply that I got for the Jon boat transom, and Zogged it so that it fitted nicely in the gap. When I get back to work on Turesday I will but about 30 feet of 3/8" plastic piping and extend the water line from the water filter system up the inside of the wall, across the inside of the ceiling, and down the opposite wall and exit behind where the new fridge will stand. Then the new fridge can be supplied with purified water for the ice maker and water dispenser. Some more woodwork in the form of shelving above the new piece of counter top, and another where the pantry cupboard that I made used to stand, and then I'll be done. Sort of  :peepwall:

Most of the work was completed today, tonight I am just waiting for stain and varnish to dry, tomorrow I'll lighty sand and apply a second coat, then when dry I can install. When it's all in I'll get some pics for y'all.  :thumleft:

Oh, and the new bakkie... I have falllen in love with it!  :drif:

It wasn't my first choice of vehicle, but it was what they had at the dealership, and it was all that I could afford. Beggars can't be choosers and all that. But shit guys, this is actually a fantastic vehicle. So many features that I am still figuring out (the salesman couldn't show me anything because he only knows Ford), and the more I look at it and drive it, the more I love it!  :biggrin:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10062 on: September 07, 2020, 03:14:18 am »
With some moving around of stuff, and a bit of carpentry here and there, and some additional plumbing as well, we decided that we could make the new fridge fit into the tiny kitchen. ...  Shelves needed to be removed in the Florida room, then the hutch had all the crockery removed, and it was moved into the Florida room. Then the old fridge was moved over to where the hutch used to stand.

Remember the computer game Tetris, where you had to fit blocks of different shapes into each other? It was like that...  ;D ;D ;D

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #10063 on: September 07, 2020, 06:53:28 am »

And the waiters at Hooters in Miami are fine too.... :peepwall:

A whole twenty randelas. You must be popular at strip joints.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #10064 on: September 07, 2020, 07:01:05 am »

And the waiters at Hooters in Miami are fine too.... :peepwall:

A whole twenty randelas. You must be popular at strip joints.
That was my thought to.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #10065 on: September 07, 2020, 08:28:12 am »
You have it wrong, she paid me... :biggrin:  from Porto Rico.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #10066 on: September 07, 2020, 02:26:35 pm »
Day discount we got it for $1 499.00 !

That is R25 000 in SA money it sounds like a hell of a lot of money!!! Guess it's a lot in dollar's too!!! :o :eek7:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #10067 on: September 07, 2020, 03:14:46 pm »

That is R25 000 in SA money it sounds like a hell of a lot of money!!! Guess it's a lot in dollar's too!!! :o :eek7:

What I thought, but at a meter wide itís a monster 😂
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #10068 on: September 07, 2020, 03:16:50 pm »

What I thought, but at a meter wide itís a monster 😂
He is planning to catch big fish!! ;) :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10069 on: September 08, 2020, 04:25:46 am »

It IS a lot in US$ too Chris. But that is the going rate.

Stuff here is very expensive if you convert to ZAR. But once you realise that earning US$ and paying in US$ is what it is, then you get over the shock of what it would cost in SA.

We will pay the fridge off in about 2 years. But when it arrives we will have a good fridge that should last us for many years to come.

Even second-hand fridges go for several hundred dollars. We would rather spend a bit more and get quality than buy a cheap one that dies in a few years. 

I'll post the pics of the kitchen upgrade tomorrow, it's really late now and I'm FUBAR.   :o
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10070 on: September 08, 2020, 05:42:16 pm »
What he said.

We chose a basic fridge of standard size.

My only stipulation was that I wanted what's called "French doors," with two doors opening from the center to either side and the freezer on the bottom as a slide-out drawer. The old fridge has two doors, left is the freezer and right is the fridge. I hate this setup it because I was always crouching down to get to the fruit and veggie drawers at floor level. With French doors, everything is at a more comfortable height. I'm not getting any younger, you know.  :imaposer:

The other thing we wanted was water/ice dispenser. So those boxes are ticked. Other than that, there's nothing fancy about it.

Let's not talk about the super f*cking la-di-da fridges well over $4000 with built-in wifi, TV screen, linking to phone apps etc.  :o Don't need. Don't actually want, either.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10071 on: September 09, 2020, 01:59:10 am »
To start off, I had an assistant.  :sip:

Maggie was never far from me, and gave advice and encouragement. Towards the end she also tested what I had built to make sure it worked just fine.

Here she is making sure that the bottom shelf is solid, and will fit the pots and pans etc.  :lol8:

This is the hutch. It now stands in the porch /  Florida room where the coffee table stood, with shelves above it.

No, I'm sorry, we didn't take before pics. Shit just started happening and before I knew it everything had changed  :peepwall:

This is the old fridge, to show where the new fridge will stand. To the right of the fridge is the pantry cupboard that I build years ago in the old house. This is where the hutch used to stand. This is basically the far wall of the dining room.

On the right is where the old fridge used to stand. The gap it left has now been filled with a new counter top, and shelves underneath on the right. On the left is the little bar fridge that we keep the milk and cooldrinks in. On top of the counter top are the coffee machines, and on the shelf above that is where the adult refreshments and the other coffee paraphenalia is stored. This shelf used to be above the coffee table on the porch.

Finally, this is where the pantry cupboard used to stand. The shelf is the second shelf that used to be above the coffee table on the porch.

So now the kitchen feels a lot more open, and is definitely a lot easier to move around in. A whole lot of work, but a good result. Maybe in a few years we will be able to afford to completely gut the kitchen and redo everything...

The only thing I still have to do is run a water line up inside the wall from below the kitchen sink where the reverse osmosis water filter is, across the top of the ceiling, and down the inside of the wall behind the fridge, so that I can connect the icemaker to the purified water source. I'll do that very early in the morning, probably over the weekend, before the heat inside the roof becomes completely unbearable. I'll also insulate the water line to help keep it cooler.

Thanks for reading y'all. Have a great day.  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 02:06:33 am by Mr Zog »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #10072 on: September 09, 2020, 02:03:25 am »
Congrats on the bakkie Gary, the bowtie wouldn't let you down  :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10073 on: September 09, 2020, 02:07:15 am »
Congrats on the bakkie Gary, the bowtie wouldn't let you down  :thumleft:

Thanks Tom, I have completely fallen in love with this bakkie  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #10074 on: September 09, 2020, 03:04:25 am »
Why does a farmer love a girl wearing a leather skirt or pants?

Because she smells just like a new bakkie!  ;D

Kitchen looks great, Mr Z...

PS, when I specify kitchen cupboards, I insist on access holes with removable covers in the skirting boards so that you can spray for kakkerlakke. 
They just LOVE living there... mice and rats too.
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10075 on: September 09, 2020, 03:20:55 am »
Mrs Zog found a before pic of the kitchen that she took before we moved in...

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #10076 on: September 09, 2020, 07:05:52 am »
Does that microwave have an extraction fan build in

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #10077 on: September 09, 2020, 08:52:12 am »
I see the 'Mericans like having their microwaves above their stoves - weird man!
Ja/Nee

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10078 on: September 09, 2020, 02:26:05 pm »
Does that microwave have an extraction fan build in

It does, but it doesn't work too well. I almost never use it.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10079 on: September 09, 2020, 02:26:59 pm »
I see the 'Mericans like having their microwaves above their stoves - weird man!

I know, I don't like it there, but at least it's not taking up what little counter space I have.