Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1233907 times)

Tiger8 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #10140 on: September 22, 2020, 05:26:15 pm »
Before I got married, I had a book of jokes( Garfield or similar) in the loo and my Robert Ludlum or Wilber Smith etc. in front of my bed! Nice relaxing thing to do before going to sleep!
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10141 on: September 22, 2020, 08:42:27 pm »
By the way, today is the first day of autumn.

Happy Fall, y'all  ;D

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10142 on: September 23, 2020, 04:37:46 pm »
Before I got married, I had a book of jokes( Garfield or similar) in the loo and my Robert Ludlum or Wilber Smith etc. in front of my bed! Nice relaxing thing to do before going to sleep!

We have all of the Wilbur Smith books. I've tried several times. I can't get into them for some reason. I don't know why. I painfully worked my way through the Egyptian series and I read one of his stand-alone novels, I can't remember which one. They just don't grab me.

(Standing here, waiting to be crucified.)

In other news. I have given up on yoga and changed back to serious weight training. I did my first session this morning and it was pure joy. I missed it. I just don't seem to get the benefits from yoga that weight training gives me.

Besides, I feel more of a badass benchpressing  8) than "breathing through my root chakra." Whatever. I'll probably still throw a yoga session in there once a week for a good stretching and un-kinking.

1000% happy with that decision. 

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #10143 on: September 23, 2020, 05:30:26 pm »

We have all of the Wilbur Smith books. I've tried several times. I can't get into them for some reason. I don't know why. I painfully worked my way through the Egyptian series and I read one of his stand-alone novels, I can't remember which one. They just don't grab me.

(Standing here, waiting to be crucified.)

In other news. I have given up on yoga and changed back to serious weight training. I did my first session this morning and it was pure joy. I missed it. I just don't seem to get the benefits from yoga that weight training gives me.

Besides, I feel more of a badass benchpressing  8) than "breathing through my root chakra." Whatever. I'll probably still throw a yoga session in there once a week for a good stretching and un-kinking.

1000% happy with that decision.

Mrs Z l feel the same, and in a way I was very disappointed by Wilbur Smith due to his claimed extensive ground research which is a great selling point of his work. Sadly a lot of bs in 2 of his Novels especially one (cant recall the title) about moslem extremism in parts of Africa. He wrote about places he visited like Kartoum in Nort Sudan where we worked for the UN in demining and although I gather he must have (may have) been there it is clear that he writing is based on a tourist eye and assumptions. Title is Those in Peril was the title and that made the round through our camp and none agreed with the content wrt ethnic and religious views. It was actually a bit disturbing and sad.

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #10144 on: September 23, 2020, 06:01:33 pm »
Tom and Mrs Zog, it seems as if the writers become lazy after becoming successful and then do not put in as much effort in later books!
Dakar 650
SR 500

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline RobbieJZW

« Reply #10145 on: September 23, 2020, 06:12:52 pm »
@Mrs Zog I’ve certainly noted a decline in quality of Wilbur’s books as time has progressed. Sad. And anything that is “with” someone else eg. Wilbur Smith with Joe Bloggs - well that can stay in the bookstore!

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits, Oubones

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10146 on: September 23, 2020, 06:13:57 pm »
I noticed that when re-reading Tony Park now. The last book I read was my least favorite... it seemed like he was stretching a bit to find new material.

I read the synopses of the two next ones (which I don't have yet), and they seem a little bit... reaching?

I like to read fiction, but it has to be "realistic" fiction, if you know what I mean.  ::)

P.S. Let me qualify that... I do enjoy a rip-roaring read that is far from realistic and has a bit of unexplainable mixed in. For example, the Agent Pendergast series by Doug Preston & Lincoln Child. But I go into it knowing that's what I get.

A blurb from Tony Park's latest:

Joanne is a member of the Pretoria Cycad and Firearms Appreciation Society. She, Sonja and Rod enlist the help of this group of ageing gardeners and gun nuts to find a plant worth a fortune and the traitor in their midst who is willing to kill for it.

I'm not so sure about that one.

Going with Deon Meyer for now.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 06:23:45 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10147 on: September 23, 2020, 06:14:40 pm »
Agree 100% on the "with", Robbie!

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #10148 on: September 23, 2020, 06:43:45 pm »
@Mrs.Zog

I'm 100% with you on Wilbur Smith - could never get into his books - just didn't grab me.

Have you read any of James Patterson's books - absolutely brilliant - can't put them down kind of stories. He has a few "series" if you like - e.g. Alex Cross

I think you may enjoy his writing.

Enjoy!
Ja/Nee

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #10149 on: September 23, 2020, 06:58:39 pm »
@Mrs.Zog

I'm 100% with you on Wilbur Smith - could never get into his books - just didn't grab me.

Have you read any of James Patterson's books - absolutely brilliant - can't put them down kind of stories. He has a few "series" if you like - e.g. Alex Cross

Enjoy!

James Patterson is my favorite author :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay, Mrs. Zog

Offline Pumbaa

« Reply #10150 on: September 23, 2020, 07:07:04 pm »
@Mrs.Zog

Enjoy!

James Patterson is my favorite author :thumleft:
I have also read almost all of his books.
Others I like is John Grisham, Bryce Courtney and Ken follet (really enjoyed his books)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Online woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #10151 on: September 23, 2020, 07:20:47 pm »
Who wrote Sad Sack and Sarge. Now that was enjoyable reading :imaposer:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #10152 on: September 23, 2020, 07:49:36 pm »
The last time I tried to read WS I was stil young and unmarried..never took to him and just put the book down and never finished it. The only book I never finished...

Rather read Sven Hassle. Might be fiction but a lot more fun...
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10153 on: September 23, 2020, 08:46:45 pm »
Ok, ok, this is getting good!

Hit me with your book recommendations, I'm taking notes!  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Lars

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Oh well...
« Reply #10154 on: September 23, 2020, 09:21:57 pm »
Ted Simon, Jupiter's Travels and Return of Jupiter

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Offline BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #10155 on: September 24, 2020, 07:10:38 am »
Reading Karin Slaughter at the moment. Love Lee Child too.
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #10156 on: September 24, 2020, 07:34:15 am »
IT is good that we are allowed to have different tastes. James Patterson is horrible!  :peepwall:

James PAtterson North, now that is another story. Wonderfully layered and complex legal thrillers
Faye Kellerman;s PEte Decker series is also much more nuanced than JP
Her husband Jonathan Kellerman is more famous and his Milo Sturgis and Alex Delaware series is much more psychological and also much darker. (always a wickedly evil (serial) killer

Bernie Gunther by Phillip Kerr is about a German inspector before during after the Nazi;s but the Berlin Trilogy is by far the best (They were written first)

MArcus Didius Falco is a fictional Roman empire (Mostly during Vespasian's reign) Private investigator that was created by Lyndsey Davids. The books are interesting because you learn a lot about life during a completely different time but they are also very light and funny. She has the ability to string funny and witty sentences together page after page

Jo Nesbo;s Harry Hole is also a very good crime fiction Hole is a very complicated and self destructive character

THen of course  Kurt Wallander (Henning Mankell) The last book is absolutely heat wrenching.

Dashiel Hammet's Sam Spade Trilogy is also very Good Spade is a PI back in the 1930s or 40s Once you get used to his style the books are amazing

Also obviously Inspectors Morse and Rebus provide hours of fun.

A few of the ones I liked.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 07:59:29 am by Blou Zebu »
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline Herkules

« Reply #10157 on: September 24, 2020, 07:48:41 am »
 :sip: Try and get hold of a James Lee Burke, also Mike Bond. Good reads IMO.

Offline tok-tokkie

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #10158 on: September 24, 2020, 10:18:55 am »
Try this.  Brother of the animal man  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Alexandria_Quartet

Offline Pumbaa

« Reply #10159 on: September 24, 2020, 10:21:05 am »
Ok, ok, this is getting good!

Hit me with your book recommendations, I'm taking notes!  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Jeffrey Archer, Kane and Abel

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/78983.Kane_and_Abel

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk