Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1261467 times)

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #10320 on: October 23, 2020, 06:17:52 am »
Some of those boats cost more than I have earned in my lifetime.  :sip:

5 outboards?
Ostentatious!
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #10321 on: October 24, 2020, 03:53:21 am »
My plan to do something every day didn't happen this week.  :xxbah:

Between having brain-shattering toothache, and working late to make up for the hours I missed from work while at the dentist, I didn't get out to the boat every day like I wanted to.

But I did do some research, so maybe that counts?  :peepwall:

One of the things that I found was a diagram put out by the manufacturer many years ago showing where the wood was located on this boat. I was extremely concerned about the transom, as there is a split on the top of the cap on the transom, and I can see wood inside the split. This is  not good.  :deal:

However, after seeing this diagram...

I saw that where the split is, there is only just a very small block of wood to secure the transom eye. The rest is structural foam. The actual transom is just in the middle section, which is a lot smaller. The sides of the transom are also rounded, which is they contained wood would make a repair very difficult and complicated. But with wood only being in the middle bit, which is flat, the repair will be a whole lot simpler and easier  :biggrin:

This evening when I got home I poured myself a rum & coke and sat down to relax in the Florida room. I stared out at the boat in the back yard and saw that the right side wheel was completely flat. I put the drink down and walked outside for a closer look. The side of the tyre was completely torn open...

So I decided that I needed to put some stands under the axle. I Don't have any jack stands, so I decided to improvise, I got some sections of 2x4 from my scrap pile behind the shed and cut them to 12 inch sections. Then I screwed them together to create a block.

I loosened off the wheel bolts, jacked up the axle with my scored trolley jack, took the tyre off and put the home made jack stand under the axle. Then I did the same on the other side.

This was a quick job, and I was done just before it got too dark, the camera makes it seem a lot lighter. Now the trailer is a lot more secure, and I can work on getting the old tyres off teh rims, getting the rims cleaned up and painted, and new tyres fitted, eventually. I also want to remove and clean and inspect the wheel bearings. If they are fine they will go back in with fresh marine grease, but if I have any doubt they will get replaced with new ones. They do feel fine right now, but lets reserve judgement until I can see them. I also want to check over the entire trailer for any issues, as well as mount the new lights I got with it, and redo all the wiring.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #10322 on: October 24, 2020, 04:03:51 am »
As I understand it ZOG the trailer is hot dip galvanized. the best! The only upgrade would be a two pack epoxy over the top, but not necessary for your application I think👍
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10323 on: October 24, 2020, 05:03:49 am »
As I understand it ZOG the trailer is hot dip galvanized. the best! The only upgrade would be a two pack epoxy over the top, but not necessary for your application I think👍

yes,  :thumleft: 

There are a couple of bits welded to it that have completely rusted away, I will grind them off properly and then seal up the bare metal with a good primer and paint.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #10324 on: October 24, 2020, 05:15:36 am »

There are a couple of bits welded to it that have completely rusted away, I will grind them off properly and then seal up the bare metal with a good primer and paint.  :thumleft:
see if you can find a repair kit on e bay, we used to get a product “galv patch” like pratley putty, but full of zinc powder for repairs👍
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 05:35:07 am by Welsh »

The following users thanked this post: BigEd

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10325 on: October 24, 2020, 05:35:23 am »

see if you can find a repair kit on e bay, we used to get like pratley putty, but full of zinc powder for repairs👍

:thumleft:

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #10326 on: October 24, 2020, 05:50:14 am »

see if you can find a repair kit on e bay, we used to get like pratley putty, but full of zinc powder for repairs👍

:thumleft:
And don’t believe the rattle cans, they say “contains 90% pure zinc” etc, that isn’t the zinc content it’s the purity of the tiny bit of zinc it contains, zinc paint we used, comes as a carrier  liquid and a pack of zinc powder you mix in, to spray it needed an agitated pot to keep the zinc powder from settling out. The best repair is hot metal spraying, but you need specialized kit.👍
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 05:51:41 am by Welsh »

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #10327 on: October 24, 2020, 09:30:23 am »
I share your concern about the transom wood. Also the stringers inside.  Can you view the stringers where the console used to be.  Water in there (from standing and soaking) can cause rot of the wood inside.  Strongly recommend you check that box.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10328 on: October 25, 2020, 02:14:10 am »
I share your concern about the transom wood. Also the stringers inside.  Can you view the stringers where the console used to be.  Water in there (from standing and soaking) can cause rot of the wood inside.  Strongly recommend you check that box.

This boat is constructed very differently to other boats.

There is very little wood used in the construction, mainly only in the areas where hardware needs to be attached. Let me see if I can find that video of the moulding process...

Basically the lower section (hull) is cast inside a very strong steel-reinforced mould. The top section is also cast inside it's own steel-reinforced mould. Then the two sections are put together, many steel clamps are closed that hold the two sections very firmly together. Then a very precise amount of foam is injected into the void between the two halves. This foam then swells up and exits several "weep holes" in the mould to show that it has filled every single void inside the boat.

This foam is also not the usual bouyancy foam in other boats. It is a closed cell foam that gives very good bouyancy, but more importantly it is a STRUCTURAL foam that bonds very strongly to the insides of the fiberglass sections of the boat, then dries to a very hard consistency. When fully dried this gives the boat a massive amount of strength and rigidity, much more than other boats with wooden stringers etc.

So the bottom line is this; I have today checked all the openings that have been found on the entire hull. There is just one section on the transom where there is some delamination and rotting of a small wooden insert that I need to repair. All the other openings are rock solid, the foam is bone dry, and I have not found any other wood that is compromised. The minor dings and cracks are all just surface issues that I will repair in various ways that I have found after many hours of study at the university of youtube and google  :peepwall:

Even the transom is still solid, I not only checked every single hole in the transom for rotten or wet wood, I also drilled a hole right at the bottom (where water would accumulate if it had penetrated) and that was bone dry with solid wood.

So it looks like this restore job is going to be a whole lot simpler and quicker than I originally thought  :thumleft:  :biggrin:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10329 on: October 25, 2020, 02:15:59 am »
I found the video I was looking for...

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10330 on: October 25, 2020, 02:43:05 am »
Today I did get a bit done.

My first order of business today was to clear up some space in my workshop. I tidied up a whole lot, and threw out a bunch of crap that I would not be using again, ever, like the old wiring from the boat etc...

Then I did the "damage assessment" on the boat, where I probed and prodded every single hole, every single crack and even the few damage holes for wetness, saturation of the foam, or rotting of the wooden inserts.

I found just the one spot, on the top starboard section of the transom, where the wooden block is rotten. This I will cut open further, then dig out the rotten wood, then I will probably just fill the void with thickened epoxy and seal it all back up again. This repair I will still research some more, but this far that is the plan of action.

There is a section on the front of the keel that has an old repair that has been done pretty badly. It sounds solid, but the fiberglass repair is delaminating, so I will grind it all away and redo it properly. And fix anything that I may find underneath the old repair as well.  :thumleft:

I had a few "honey-do's" to get done as well today, like fixing the leak on the dishwasher (this turned out to be a rubber seal that was leaking due to age and hardening, but it looks like I was able to get some more life out of it by carefully  massaging some silicone lube into it. When we tested it it had stopped leaking  :biggrin: ). I also had to get some supplies from Home Depot and Harbor Freight (needle punches, small chisels, magnetic strips for hanging tools), and I returned the two inspection hatches that I had bought from West Marine last weekend and instead bought a new boat winch and V-block for the trailer. I also bought a 50-foot extension cord.

I needed two 25-foot runs of 3-core wire for the trailer lights. Pricing 50 foot of 16 gauge 3-core at Home Depot was $0.79 per foot. So 50 feet would cost me around $40 and taxes. A 50-foot 16 gauge extension cord was only $13.95. So you do the maths... and figure out why I got the extension cord  :peepwall:  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Here is a pic of the new winch and v-block installed, with the old bits for comparison...

I decided to go with the yellow type v-block, and I'll also be using the yellow translucent keel rollers too. The black rubber ones apparently perish quicker, then leave black stripes on the hull that are difficult to remove. Not so with these new yellow jobbies apparently...  :sip:  And they are actually a little cheaper than the black ones too  :ricky:

The winch isn't attached to the bow eye yet, I still need to remove the bow eye and reinforce the through-hole and seal it up properly.

I did also get the extension lead cut and the two sections soldered to the plug that plugs into the back of the truck, and the cables run down the two sides of the trailer. I fixed both of the PVC pipe guides and reattached them. Tomorrow I'll attach the trailer lights to the PVC pipes, and get the rest of the wiring sorted. Then I will probably check the wheel bearings too.

Then I can find two new tyres (and maybe a 3rd for a spare) so I can get the trailer mobile again so I can pull it out from under the boat and flip the boat over so I can fix the keel and paint the hull.

But baby steps...  this boat is being done on a tight budget  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Offline grizz

• ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #10331 on: October 25, 2020, 06:56:49 am »
Progress.

Elke dag n bietjie.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Grunder

« Reply #10332 on: October 25, 2020, 09:41:07 am »
Finished today - Book 33 of 2020
Good book.

And good number...

Are you reading them during 2020 or aiming for 2020 books?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 09:41:53 am by Grunder »
NC700 F800GS

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10333 on: October 25, 2020, 03:00:41 pm »
Finished today - Book 33 of 2020
Good book.

And good number...

Are you reading them during 2020 or aiming for 2020 books?

Books I'm reading during 2020.  :)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10334 on: October 26, 2020, 03:57:07 am »
I woke up early again this morning.

Very early. My back was killing me, forced me out of bed. So what else is there to do when the rest of the household is still sleeping, but to go fishing  :biggrin:

I took a drive down to the boat launch on the Indian River Lagoon, there is good deep water there, and a nice dock to fish from. On the way there I checked the fuel consumption on the onboard computer in my new bakkie and it showed that I am getting 21 miles to the gallon. So roughly converted, that is around 8.8 km/liter. Not too bad for a big 3.6 liter V6  :lol8:  My old F150 gave me around 14 MPG, so around a 50% improvement  :ricky:

Down at the dock it was just starting to get light, and the water was boiling with all the fish! Quite literally fish busting all around me. I started off with a Rapala shallow lure, but no luck, so I switched over to a surface popper, and every single cast I got busted on, but without hooking up. until finally success! I got nailed by this little dude. I believe that in SA we call it a Shad, but over here it's called a Blue Runner, and it's seen as a "trash fish", only good for bait. Eish, in SA I ate many freshly caught Shad on the KZN South Coast.

Anyway, I took a quick pic, then returned the little guy to the water. You can see from the background in the pic that it was still quite dark  :patch:

I fished for quite a while after that, but just a few minutes after I got the Shad everything just seemed to go quiet, no more fish busting on prey, no more fish jumping out of the water... maybe it was just a big school of Blue Runner that passed through and left?

I did catch a small Mangrove Snapper, as well as a nice Ladyfish, but I didn't take their pics, I have already caught lots of them. The Blue Runner was a first for me in the USA though, so that was very lekker. Around 9:30 the launch started getting really busy with boats launching, jet ski's, kids shouting, and music blaring. So I called it a day and went home.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10335 on: October 26, 2020, 04:22:03 am »
Back home I made some more coffee, then did a bunch of chores. I also went to Home Depot for a couple of small supplies.

Last night we had some pork chops for supper, and I reheated the left overs for lunch, then I called the family back in SA. I have come to the conclusion that I won't be seeing my son this year, the USA is still on the shit-list for travel to SA, and Emirates still hasn't resumed flights to SA either as far as I can tell. So now it is 2 years since I last saw him. I'm just holding onto the hope that he will be able to come visit in the June/July school holidays. Shit man, it hurts like all fuck.

Anyway, back to the boatwork.

But first I had to cut the grass, finished it just before a big thunderstorm hit. So I was forced to stay indoors for a bit longer....

Eventually it was drier, and I got to work on the first wheel bearing. The wheel bearings on this trailer have something called a "bearing buddy". It is a cover over the axle nut that has a grease nipple in it. Before I towed the trailer home I added grease to these nipples until grease came out the back of the bearing seal.

Here you can see the bearing buddy with the nipple

And inside there is no water, just a whole lot of grease

Wiping the grease away and the steel surfaces are bright and shiny, no signs of any rust

And the axle is still in perfect condition!

I cleaned the bearings, and took the bearing buddy apart and cleaned that too, and everything is in perfect condition! The bearings are smooth and no signs of wear or pitting or anything. I coated everything liberally with WD40 after cleaning, to make sure that nothing will flash-rust before I can get it refitted and greased up. I completely forgot to get pics of the bearinsg and stuff, I'll try remember some time this week. But look at how even the wheel bolts cleaned up perfectly!

This trailer still has the original manufacturers sticker on the wheel cover. It is one of those metallic-type stickers, and I got some pics for y'all.

Lets get in even closer so you can see what it says  :sip:

The model is a "17 IR", so it was designed for a 17 ft boat, like mine.
The trailer weight is 600 lbs (273 kg's)
The gross capacity is 2200 lbs (1000kg's)
The date of manufacture is Jan 1977

So this was the original trailer that came with the boat, it's not often that you get that with an older boat like this in Florida. Usually a trailer that old has returned back to mother earth as rust  :imaposer:  But this trailer was put together, welded, and then hot-dip galvanized. It is incredible, not a single spot of rust anywhere. And it even has a fancy lever on the side that lifts up the keel rollers to make launching and recovering easier! I'll get some pics of that too later on...  :thumleft:

I called it done early, because I needed to open up the barber shop. I cut Mrs Zog's hair, I cut Maggie's hair, and I cut my hair and shaved my face.  :sip:  :lol8:

Then I fired up the grill and cooked a steak, and a "saved for a special occasion" last pack of boerewors that we bought at the SA shop up in St Augustine last year. Now THAT was a lekker treat  :drif:

OK y'all have a great week. Thanks for reading  :thumleft:

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #10336 on: October 26, 2020, 05:51:04 am »

This boat is constructed very differently to other boats.

There is very little wood used in the construction, mainly only in the areas where hardware needs to be attached. Let me see if I can find that video of the moulding process...

Basically the lower section (hull) is cast inside a very strong steel-reinforced mould. The top section is also cast inside it's own steel-reinforced mould. Then the two sections are put together, many steel clamps are closed that hold the two sections very firmly together. Then a very precise amount of foam is injected into the void between the two halves. This foam then swells up and exits several "weep holes" in the mould to show that it has filled every single void inside the boat.

This foam is also not the usual bouyancy foam in other boats. It is a closed cell foam that gives very good bouyancy, but more importantly it is a STRUCTURAL foam that bonds very strongly to the insides of the fiberglass sections of the boat, then dries to a very hard consistency. When fully dried this gives the boat a massive amount of strength and rigidity, much more than other boats with wooden stringers etc.

So the bottom line is this; I have today checked all the openings that have been found on the entire hull. There is just one section on the transom where there is some delamination and rotting of a small wooden insert that I need to repair. All the other openings are rock solid, the foam is bone dry, and I have not found any other wood that is compromised. The minor dings and cracks are all just surface issues that I will repair in various ways that I have found after many hours of study at the university of youtube and google  :peepwall:

Even the transom is still solid, I not only checked every single hole in the transom for rotten or wet wood, I also drilled a hole right at the bottom (where water would accumulate if it had penetrated) and that was bone dry with solid wood.

So it looks like this restore job is going to be a whole lot simpler and quicker than I originally thought  :thumleft:  :biggrin:

My hat, thats interesting and rest assuring :thumleft:  seems properly made and well worth spending money on :thumleft:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 06:05:10 am by KiLRoy »

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10337 on: October 26, 2020, 05:29:23 pm »
Happy Monday!  :P

The dishwasher still leaks. For now I'm putting a towel down, but it's leaking into the space adjoining the wooden cabinet, which is not good. So, new dishwasher. I had a quick Google and it seems the cheaper models start at $300. So maybe on Black Friday we can get a deal.

Yes. I could hand wash everything. But I have neither the energy nor the time, or the space to do that, seeing as I have a very small sink in the darkest corner of the kitchen. So... no. Just no.

In other news. Yesterday I developed a bruise under my left eye for no apparent reason. It wasn't there when I got up. By lunchtime it was there. Your guess is as good as mine. My best theory is that I blew my nose so hard (suffering badly with pollen allergies still) that I popped a blood vessel under my eye. Who knows. I hope it good away soon. I look like I was in a bar fight over the weekend.

"Does this bruise make me look badass?"  :biggrin:

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #10338 on: October 26, 2020, 05:32:19 pm »
You better listen to Mr Zog next time :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10339 on: October 26, 2020, 09:53:30 pm »
Ha ha ha. You so funny. I like you. I shoot you last.  8)

The following users thanked this post: woody1