Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1261470 times)

Offline Mrs. Zog

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #10360 on: October 28, 2020, 02:49:10 pm »
If someone has a recipe for that "plain old South African government bread," please let me know. Google wasn't helpful.

I used to buy it at Uitkyk Vleismark in Pretoria, usually, and it was sooooooo goooooood! 'm also not a fan of US bread.

Gracias!  :thumleft:

How is your Afrikaans? I can send you a recipe for a Kook en Geniet? I will translate it as best I can.

I can read Afrikaans - no need to translate, thanks! I'd love to have the recipe.

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #10361 on: October 28, 2020, 05:06:28 pm »
Good bread which I bake here in the States and is 100% like home:

4 x cups of bread flour (I buy best quality on shelve)
1 x teaspoon fleischman dry yeast
1/2 tablespoons salt
Lukewarm water (I fill a jug to 1 quart and add 3 x tablespoon of canola or olive oil)

Mix dry ingredients
Add lukewarm water/oil slowly as you work it
Never too much moist, begin too dry and add bits
Kneed very well for 5 min plus.
Cover with a wet kitchen towel and put in car outside in the winter, like the back window for 1 hour, go knock it down and leave for another hour.
Summer you can leave in the house.
Spray or grease your bread pan and preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius  or 400F.
If it's not an convection oven put a handful of ice cubes in a little bowl.
Depending on the pan size (I use a smaller pan and a higher bread) or how you form your bread will be the baking time.
It may be as little as 20 minutes or even 40plus.

After shaping your roll or put it in the pan you can do a few cuts to be smart with a sharp blade and add seeds after painting with water
Let it rise for 15 min before you put it in the oven.

That is what I do, and it beats everything on the shelf at Wallmart.

Sometimes when i make croissants or smarter yeast baking products I'll do the activation of the yeast in a glass of water separate

I'm no Baker, this is just what works for me

Once baked i put oven on grill or broil and gold brown the crust if i feel like it, but keep an eye on it....maybe 3 min.

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10362 on: October 28, 2020, 05:42:00 pm »
@Tom van Brits are these the rolls you made for us last year when you were here? They were delicious!  :drif:

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #10363 on: October 28, 2020, 05:56:10 pm »
@Tom van Brits are these the rolls you made for us last year when you were here? They were delicious!  :drif:

Correct Mrs Z  :thumleft:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10364 on: October 28, 2020, 06:44:00 pm »
I'm not religious at all. At the same time, I think there is... something. Call it a higher power, God, Allah, Buddha, or just the flow of the universe. Whatever it is, I have respect for whatever people choose to believe unless they are obnoxious about it or try to convert me.

Having said that, many times in my life, I have had experiences that are too... weird... to be called "coincidence."

Our dishwasher is leaking, can't be fixed. Last night Mr. Zog and I agreed to use the Home Depot credit card again (which is pretty close to maxed because of the new fridge) to see if we can get a relatively cheap dishwasher on a Black Friday special. As I said before, I have neither the time nor the energy or the space to wash dishes by hand all the time. A few cups and plates is fine, I don't mind, I do that now if I only have a few things. But not all dishes, all the time. So, new dishwasher. Reluctantly. Because... finances.

Mr. Zog just called. His boss replaced his dishwasher yesterday and the old one works perfectly. Do we want it or should he put it on the street or donate it?

Okayyyyyy.... universe, thank you again!   :eek7:

« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 06:44:56 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Fiets Loos!
« Reply #10365 on: October 28, 2020, 09:29:21 pm »
Mrs. Zog the universe works in mysterious ways, what you put "out" there is what you get back! Congrats on the new to you dishwasher! :thumleft:

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #10366 on: October 29, 2020, 12:58:54 am »
Awesome!!  :3some:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #10367 on: October 29, 2020, 01:05:32 am »
The Boss is going out-of-town from Thursday to Monday, so after work this evening I stopped by at his place to pick up the dishwasher.

It's a cheaper brand, but still a goodie. It will work just fine for us  :thumleft:

And the price was right too  :ricky:

As you can see from the pic, it was already quite dark by the time I got home, so no trailer work this evening. And on Saturday night / Sunday morning we set the clocks back because of daylight savings. So from next week when I get home it will already be very dark.

Eish. At least I won't be driving to work in the dark from next week  :lol8:

Here is the "new" dishwasher arriving at our place on the back of the Chevy Bakkie  :biggrin:  8)

Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10368 on: October 29, 2020, 01:07:47 am »
Is that the Government bread with soya and other vegetable protein added to lower cost and to boost shelf life?

The best bread is made with Durham wheat flour, a little rye flour, unchlorinated water, real yeast cultures, with a touch of salt added.
Bake in the oven with a little water alongside at the start.
(It helps to form a nice crust.)

(PS: I harvested natural yeast using a bottle with 40g of bread flour, 40g of unchlorinated water.
I covered the opening with cheesecloth held in place by a rubber band and hung it in our lemon tree for three days.
When the paste started bubbling I brought it inside again and continued to feed it flour and unchlorinated water.)
Wow. Just wow. After reading this post I just want to hug a tree. .
Please educate me. What is unchlorinated water. Is that like water that you collected from your rain gauge?
I bet you would give  Bear Grylls a run for his money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

You can boil water and let it cool and sit for a bit to rid it of chlorine ( it basically evaporates ) - basic way. Water also looses it's ''injected chlorine'' sitting in the sun over a relatively short period.

As said above. 
You can also buy from prepared water suppliers.
The chlorine in tap water can detrimentally affect the yeast during the leavening (rising) stage of bread making.  :sip:

Or you can speak to me...   :peepwall:

I will sell you a whole-home carbon filter that will remove all of the chlorine (and chloramines) from your water.  :peepwall:  :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Bergie

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • WD# 3825
    • Hydra
« Reply #10369 on: October 29, 2020, 08:16:31 am »
I'm not religious at all. At the same time, I think there is... something. Call it a higher power, God, Allah, Buddha, or just the flow of the universe. Whatever it is, I have respect for whatever people choose to believe unless they are obnoxious about it or try to convert me.

Having said that, many times in my life, I have had experiences that are too... weird... to be called "coincidence."

Our dishwasher is leaking, can't be fixed. Last night Mr. Zog and I agreed to use the Home Depot credit card again (which is pretty close to maxed because of the new fridge) to see if we can get a relatively cheap dishwasher on a Black Friday special. As I said before, I have neither the time nor the energy or the space to wash dishes by hand all the time. A few cups and plates is fine, I don't mind, I do that now if I only have a few things. But not all dishes, all the time. So, new dishwasher. Reluctantly. Because... finances.

Mr. Zog just called. His boss replaced his dishwasher yesterday and the old one works perfectly. Do we want it or should he put it on the street or donate it?

Okayyyyyy.... universe, thank you again!   :eek7:
Call it Karma, call it Sowing and Reaping.
Bottom line, you guys have been giving into others (time / effort) and the big wheel returns the kindness  :thumleft:
We should all live by the universal principle.
Blessed are the Cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #10370 on: October 29, 2020, 10:47:59 am »
I have had a 950 Watt microwave for 12 years, it was a week old when itís owner put it on the pavement with cord cut off.

I knocked and asked, and he said his wife changed her mind that meant stainless items in the kitchen.

Cheapie or not, it is all about function over form.

Great score.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10371 on: October 30, 2020, 01:20:45 am »
Cobra - Book 34 of 2020 - Finished a few days ago
Icarus - Book 35 of 2020 - Finished today

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10372 on: October 30, 2020, 01:35:01 am »
I got home just before 6 this evening.

So I pulled out the old dishwasher and installed the new one.

Not without it's challenges though... I had to swop out the drain lines because the new one's pipe was too short. And the water supply line was also different, but I had a search amongst my stash of fittings in my workshop and found something that I could make work. Finally the brackets that hold the dishwasher in place were not there, and the ones off the old machine would not work, but again I found something in the workshop that I could modify and and make it work just fine. Tested the dishwasher and no leaks!

So now the dishwasher is running through a self-cleaning cycle, and then it will be good to go  :thumleft:  :ricky:

Some may wonder why we really need a dishwasher? Let me elaborate. We both work full time, between 10 and 12 hour workdays. Then we still have all the other chores like cleaning, vacuuming, washing the floors, dusting, scrubbing the toilets, scrubbing the shower, mowing the grass, etc. etc. etc.  We don't have any help, we have to do it all ourselves. So any help we can get, like a machine that washes the dishes for us so we can go sit down after supper and just relax is a total flippen WIN.

We aren't too lazy, or too spoilt to wash the dishes, we just truly don't have the energy left after supper to still stand and get that done  :sip:

Tomorrow is Friday, the boss is out of town and I am sort-of in charge of the service techs. And it's pay day too. And I start my week of on-call tomorrow. Gonna be an interesting next few days  :ricky:

Offline RobbieJZW

« Reply #10373 on: October 30, 2020, 02:05:28 am »
Iím so glad to hear about your new-to-you dishwasher Mr & Mrs Zog! Itís not even about laziness - you two are clearly not that. Itís about the small breaks it does provide. You deserve that!!

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #10374 on: October 30, 2020, 05:51:59 am »
Iím so glad to hear about your new-to-you dishwasher Mr & Mrs Zog! Itís not even about laziness - you two are clearly not that. Itís about the small breaks it does provide. You deserve that!!
My sentiment too! :thumleft:
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #10375 on: October 30, 2020, 09:24:59 am »
I got home just before 6 this evening.

So I pulled out the old dishwasher and installed the new one.

Not without it's challenges though... I had to swop out the drain lines because the new one's pipe was too short. And the water supply line was also different, but I had a search amongst my stash of fittings in my workshop and found something that I could make work. Finally the brackets that hold the dishwasher in place were not there, and the ones off the old machine would not work, but again I found something in the workshop that I could modify and and make it work just fine. Tested the dishwasher and no leaks!

So now the dishwasher is running through a self-cleaning cycle, and then it will be good to go  :thumleft:  :ricky:

Some may wonder why we really need a dishwasher? Let me elaborate. We both work full time, between 10 and 12 hour workdays. Then we still have all the other chores like cleaning, vacuuming, washing the floors, dusting, scrubbing the toilets, scrubbing the shower, mowing the grass, etc. etc. etc.  We don't have any help, we have to do it all ourselves. So any help we can get, like a machine that washes the dishes for us so we can go sit down after supper and just relax is a total flippen WIN.

We aren't too lazy, or too spoilt to wash the dishes, we just truly don't have the energy left after supper to still stand and get that done  :sip:

Tomorrow is Friday, the boss is out of town and I am sort-of in charge of the service techs. And it's pay day too. And I start my week of on-call tomorrow. Gonna be an interesting next few days  :ricky:

In charge while the boss is away - and you still an 'apprentice'.  ???
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

Still Here - amazed and lucky.

Offline CraigRK

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #10376 on: October 30, 2020, 11:51:08 am »

Mr Zog, I avidly read this thread (it's the first tab after my emails) even though I very seldom post.  I love living vicariously through your eyes, your continued posting here is very much appreciated.

I don't think any justification was ever needed or warranted.  If anyone doesn't understand that you're the furthest from lazy then they really haven't been taking note.

Congrats on the dishwasher, the boat, and everything else since I last posted here!!

The following users thanked this post: husky, Mr Zog, Mrs. Zog

Offline BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #10377 on: October 30, 2020, 01:35:42 pm »
The last thing going through my mind when I think of the Zogs will be laziness...the very last thing. I have seldom seen such hard workers and givers like the two of you.

Keep it up and it will keep coming.

In the words of Ray Liotta "If you build it, he will come" - this applies to you two too.
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10378 on: October 31, 2020, 01:18:04 am »

Mr Zog, I avidly read this thread (it's the first tab after my emails) even though I very seldom post.  I love living vicariously through your eyes, your continued posting here is very much appreciated.

I don't think any justification was ever needed or warranted.  If anyone doesn't understand that you're the furthest from lazy then they really haven't been taking note.

Congrats on the dishwasher, the boat, and everything else since I last posted here!!

My sentiment too! :thumleft:

The last thing going through my mind when I think of the Zogs will be laziness...the very last thing. I have seldom seen such hard workers and givers like the two of you.

Keep it up and it will keep coming.

In the words of Ray Liotta "If you build it, he will come" - this applies to you two too.

Thanks guys, truly appreciated.

Good to hear from you again too Craig  :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10379 on: October 31, 2020, 01:28:21 am »
This evening I got home with a big box in the back of the work van  :peepwall:

Harbor freight is the tool store that sells stuff really cheaply, but you have to be careful what you get. Some of their stuff is the super-shitty chinese kak, but some of their stuff is also pretty high quality. You have to check it out carefully.

So ever since I got the boat a few weeks ago I realized that I just cannot physically lift the heavy weights that I used to when I was younger. Like the motor for the boat. The original 85 HP Merc is still lying on the grass where I dropped it. And the 50HP Suzi that I got from Piet is also super heavy. I was able to man-handle that one with a shop-dolly onto a stand I made out of 2x4's, but I almost gave myself a hernia, and I'm still struggling with back and shoulder pain from that little exercise ( I just took some ibuprofen and panado before I sat down to write this  :( )

Harbor Freight has a engine crane. But it has been just beyond my budget. But today they emailed out their black Friday coupons...  :pot:

So on the way home I stopped off and bought a shop-crane so that I can lift the heavy stuff without killing myself  :lol8:

I assembled it this evening, but as I was finishing Mrs Zog called me for supper, so I'll get some pics of it tomorrow. Hopefully when I get to lift that dead weight Merc motor off the grass  :ricky:

Oh, I saved $110 on the price of the crane  :eek7:  :deal:  :thumleft:   I'd call that a SCORE  8)