Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1282359 times)

Lommies, Shukran and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #10400 on: November 02, 2020, 02:47:40 am »
So with all the rain I decided to get to sanding some of the wood bits I took off the boat.

I started with the seat back / leaning post. Some before pics...

I chose this piece because it is actually the simplest, and I wanted to see just how much sanding and working it would take.

Well, I started off with some 80 grit sandpaper and a sanding block. After about 30 minutes I felt comfortable enough to fire up my palm sander with some 80 grit to get it done a little faster and with less sweat  :lol8:

I am very happy with the result so far. The next step will be some 150 grit in the sander, then probably some 220 grit. Then I should be ready to apply some varnish. The biggest issue is all the little concealed areas; inside the seat back, between the slats, etc. That all has to be done by hand. But like I said, I am very happy with the results so far  :thumleft:

Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline tok-tokkie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #10401 on: November 02, 2020, 09:37:09 am »
You said earlier that that is teak.  I am astonished if it is real teak.  Teak has become "unobtainable". 
Just Googling USA lumber price hard maple is $5 but teak is $32  per unit volume https://woodvendors.com/hard-maple-lumber/  I was surprised to even find teak listed.

EDIT 2020/11/04  Zog replied which made me realise this was badly written.  I was impressed that they used teak.  I did not doubt it but it really surprised me in a good way.  Using "if" was unfortunate.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 06:07:07 pm by tok-tokkie »

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10402 on: November 02, 2020, 06:39:21 pm »
My laptop had issues this morning  :dousing: so while I was waiting for it to restart and run a self-check or whatever it decided to do that took half an hour, I took my second cup of coffee and meandered through the garden...

1. Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia milii)
2. Mexican creeper (Antigonon leptopus)
3. Peace lily (Spathiphyllum cochlearispathum)

Happy Monday!

Offline grizz

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #10403 on: November 02, 2020, 11:15:05 pm »
My laptop had issues this morning  :dousing: so while I was waiting for it to restart and run a self-check or whatever it decided to do that took half an hour, I took my second cup of coffee and meandered through the garden...

1. Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia milii)
2. Mexican creeper (Antigonon leptopus)
3. Peace lily (Spathiphyllum cochlearispathum)

Happy Monday!

Beautiful

So privileged you are.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10404 on: November 03, 2020, 03:00:57 am »
You said earlier that that is teak.  I am astonished if it is real teak.  Teak has become "unobtainable". 
Just Googling USA lumber price hard maple is $5 but teak is $32  per unit volume https://woodvendors.com/hard-maple-lumber/  I was surprised to even find teak listed.

I'm quite sure that it is real teak. There is a lot of teak used in boat building, I'm also sure that it is hellofa expensive.

But this boat is a very high-end model, and all the finishings were made from teak. I will try to see if I can obtain some teak to remake the anchor locker cover, it is really badly rotted.
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10405 on: November 03, 2020, 03:07:28 am »
My last job this afternoon was very close to home.

So as soon as I was finished I went straight home and loaded up the three wheels from the boat trailer and went down to the local tyre shop.

There they pulled the old tyres off the rims for me and ordered the new tyres, they will be there tomorrow.

Then I took the rims back home where I started on the first one. I cleaned it up with the wire wheel attachment on my pneumatic jobbie. Then I wiped it down with paint thinners, and hit it with a coat of self etching primer.

Of course I forgot to get a pic of the cleaned up rim  :peepwall:

But here is a before pic,

And here is the rim after the coat of primer, still wet.

As I get time I will do the other two, and also spray them with the colour coat. I got a nice grey that I think will look good. Then I'm hoping to take the rims back to the tyre shop on Saturday morning so they can fit the new rubber  :thumleft:

Offline Oubones

« Reply #10406 on: November 03, 2020, 05:09:53 am »
That rim is looking good!
Little by little it is coming together.
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #10407 on: November 03, 2020, 06:22:53 am »
Yes, great work Gary :thumleft:  looking good.  I just love this project

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10408 on: November 03, 2020, 05:28:57 pm »
Today is election day! Let the madness begin.May the odds be ever in your favor  :imaposer:

I promised to check back to see the status of my mail-in ballot. I tracked it again first thing this morning, and as you can see, my ballot has been counted. Regarding the earlier question from someone if it shows HOW I voted, no, it doesn't. I can understand that, though; there would be privacy issues with that should someone be able to get a hold of my barcode.

I did my bit. Now we have to wait.  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 09:53:13 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Offline mox

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Formerly knows as HONDAKAWA11
« Reply #10409 on: November 03, 2020, 08:17:40 pm »
One of the 102 million that have voted.  :thumleft: let's hope more people vote this time round.
Klr 650 , Z800 - My blood is green.

Offline grizz

• Race Dog
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #10410 on: November 04, 2020, 11:11:00 am »
One of the 102 million that have voted.  :thumleft: let's hope more people vote this time round.

Sounds like a massive turnout.

Letís hope the whole thing turns out good for America.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10411 on: November 04, 2020, 05:22:51 pm »
Yes, there was record-breaking voter turnout, apparently.

This is like a train wreck you don't want to watch but you can't help it.  :P

Offline allan.cawood

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #10412 on: November 04, 2020, 11:21:25 pm »
Yes, there was record-breaking voter turnout, apparently.

This is like a train wreck you don't want to watch but you can't help it.  :P

While I am not in the USA ... (yet) ... I'm following this election ... I'm on the fence ... who is the lessor of the two evils ... anyway this thread is awesome without politics etc ...

Sure Mr Z got an update on a certain 17ft boat???
2005 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Bumblebee)
1993 Honda CB1000 Super Four (Thunder) http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=245016.new#new
1998 Honda CB1300 Super Four Hybrid (Frankenstein) http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=245017.new#new

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10413 on: November 04, 2020, 11:52:37 pm »
That's the thing, isn't it?

The question used to be who is the best person for the job and the country. Now it's a question of who will do the least damage. I'm not enchanted with either Biden or Trump. But I feel that not voting at all is worse than voting for someone I don't like. You have to at least try and make difference somehow, to the best of your ability.

Offline allan.cawood

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #10414 on: November 04, 2020, 11:54:00 pm »
That's the thing, isn't it?

The question used to be who is the best person for the job and the country. Now it's a question of who will do the least damage. I'm not enchanted with either Biden or Trump. But I feel that not voting at all is worse than voting for someone I don't like. You have to at least try and make difference somehow, to the best of your ability.
spot on!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Bumblebee)
1993 Honda CB1000 Super Four (Thunder) http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=245016.new#new
1998 Honda CB1300 Super Four Hybrid (Frankenstein) http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=245017.new#new

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #10415 on: November 05, 2020, 08:13:00 am »
America is going to get the President it deserves.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 08:13:33 am by Fudmucker »
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline Sam

« Reply #10416 on: November 05, 2020, 08:36:17 am »
Hi Mr Zog. About re-finishing tnat teak. My house has teak doors, windows, gates etc.....alot of teak. An old malay painter gave me a tip years ago when he saw me sweating it out with sanding. Works wonders...

No sure if you get it over there, but we get Washing Soda here ( important NOT caustic soda)  - it appears that its main use is as stronger washing detergent.

Make a strong solution of that stuff and use a stiffish nylon scrubbing brush on the teak. It removes most of the "dead" wood. Only really finishing sanding required after that. Saves alot of the wood too!

The following users thanked this post: Mr Zog

Offline Sam

« Reply #10417 on: November 05, 2020, 08:38:40 am »
Ps last time I looked here, the only burmese tesk that I saw was going for R135,000 a cubic meter......

Offline BigEd

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #10418 on: November 05, 2020, 09:54:15 am »
Ps last time I looked here, the only burmese tesk that I saw was going for R135,000 a cubic meter......

Try Japanese teak. Houses in De Tyger got them as floors! Stunning!
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10419 on: November 06, 2020, 04:56:35 am »
I'm going to try find some used teak, like off a sailboat that got a refit or something. Maybe I get lucky...  :sip:

Tuesday and Wednesday I didn't get home until after dark, and both days I had very physical days, so I didn't get out to the workshop unfortunately.

But this afternoon I got home with some daylight left so I hit the workshop and cleaned up the remaining two rims. The original two rims for the trailer are also hot-dipped galvanized, so they were in great shape. The spare is a normal steel rim and it had some corrosion on it, but I knocked that back with the wire wheel, then immediately covered it with the self-etching primer.

Then all three rims got a coat of the grey paint top coat. Now they can sit in the workshop until Saturday morning when I take them back to the tyre shop for their new rubber.

Tomorrow is Friday, and I have a pretty big install job in the morning that should take at least 4-5 hours. And so far (touch wood) I don't have anything else on my schedule yet. Hopefully it can stay like that and I can get home a bit early. I have a ton of stuff that needs to be dome this weekend.

Y'all have a great weekend, chat again later  :thumleft:

Oh, here is the second original rim about half-way cleaned up...