Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1287682 times)

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #10440 on: November 10, 2020, 07:33:18 am »
Regular unleaded is now $1.99 / gallon, diesel is $2.09 / gallon and the special ethanol free fuel is $2.59 / gallon. That's the lowest it has been in quite some time.  :ricky:

Your unleaded works out to R8.10 per liter
We now pay over R14.16 here.

Offline Bergie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • WD# 3825
    • Hydra
« Reply #10441 on: November 10, 2020, 07:38:43 am »
So square  :thumleft:
Makes my heart happy

This is why I read Zogg with my morning coffee

+1 for hot dip galvanizing, the benefit of buying old stuff is 1. you can still work on them, and 2. with some love they are as good as new.
Blessed are the Cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Offline grizz

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #10442 on: November 10, 2020, 07:06:37 pm »
Jy wikkel ne.

Looking good Gary
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10443 on: November 11, 2020, 07:25:56 pm »
So tropical storm Eta had shifted away from us over the last couple of days. Today it shifted back toward us and strengthened back into a hurricane. We're now expecting the effects tomorrow into overnight Friday.

I suppose I better move my plants to a sheltered spot again. I did that a few days ago, then moved them back to normal when Eta shifted away, so now I'll move them again. Plants in, plants out. Plants in, plants out.

Life in Florida.  ::)

The following users thanked this post: Bikerboer1973

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10444 on: November 11, 2020, 09:22:50 pm »
Police in Flagler County (just north of us) are kicking off a new initiative called "Toys for Tickets."

From the Flagler Beach Police Department Chief:

Officers can use their discretion to issue a warning for minor traffic violations and a "toy waiver" instead of a ticket.

Especially during COVID and the holidays, some people may not have a lot of money and a $166 ticket may be all the money somebody has earmarked for Christmas. So the thought was to issue warnings and just give them toy vouchers and just ask them if they can do it in the kindness of their heart and they can afford to just drop off an unwrapped new toy that can be wrapped and given to a child in Flagler County.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10445 on: November 11, 2020, 09:45:41 pm »
And I just got this e-mail from our power company (Florida Power & Light):

Severe weather from Eta is affecting parts of Florida. Customers in the path of the storm should prepare for outages. Rest assured, our crews will work in between bands of severe weather to restore power safely and as quickly as possible, as long as it is safe to do so. The worst of the weather, including heavy rain, flooding and high winds, is expected to come later today and overnight. Getting your lights back on safely and as quickly as possible is our priority.

:thumleft:

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #10446 on: November 11, 2020, 10:21:46 pm »
Don't they want to come over and run Eskom for us...?

Good luck with Eta.
Just the usual afternoon / evening thunderstorms over here on the Highveld.
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #10447 on: November 12, 2020, 02:53:17 am »
I drove well over 200 miles for work today.

Finally got home just after 5, and immediately took down the tarp from the canopy over the boat before Eta does it for me. :sip:

Already we are getting stronger winds, and squalls passing through. But at least Eta has degraded back to a tropical storm again from a Hurricane. So it shouldn't be too bad.

Not much else to report, sorry  :peepwall:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline BigEd

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #10448 on: November 12, 2020, 07:47:49 am »
Just saying...no hurricanes in Canada... :peepwall: :pot:
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #10449 on: November 12, 2020, 10:29:03 am »

Finally got home just after 5, and immediately took down the tarp from the canopy over the boat before Eta does it for me. :sip:

Already we are getting stronger winds, and squalls passing through. But at least Eta has degraded back to a tropical storm again from a Hurricane. So it shouldn't be too bad.

Zog how far is your commute to where you get your work vehicle every day?
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #10450 on: November 12, 2020, 03:40:15 pm »

And how long does it take?  (Traffic etc?)
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10451 on: November 12, 2020, 10:52:43 pm »
Finished last night - Book 37 of 2020

"Lydia is dead. But they donít know this yet." So begins this exquisite novel about a Chinese American family living in 1970s small-town Ohio. Lydia is the favorite child of Marilyn and James Lee, and her parents are determined that she will fulfill the dreams they were unable to pursue. But when Lydiaís body is found in the local lake, the delicate balancing act that has been keeping the Lee family together is destroyed, tumbling them into chaos.

Cover photo from the internet because I can't walk right now to get the book and take a picture.

My Achilles tendon has gone from bad to worse. Doing the RICE thing - you know, Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. I'm just hopping around, as little as possible.

I have a chiropractor appointment tomorrow for my back pain but I'll see what he can do about this. He's also a sports medicine and rehab guy.

:-\
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 10:53:12 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10452 on: November 13, 2020, 01:58:04 am »

And how long does it take?  (Traffic etc?)

Total distance is around 12 or 13 miles, lets say 20km.

Depending on the time of day it takes me between 25 and 35 minutes to get to work, and around the same to get home.

Average is about 30 minutes.

Things that slow me down are school busses (when they stop to load / unload kids all traffic has to stop, no passing a bus that is loading kids, not even from the opposite direction, and the trains. I have to cross a train line each way and if a train comes it can screw up the traffic for up to 10 minutes.
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline BigEd

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #10453 on: November 13, 2020, 07:42:49 am »
... I have to cross a train line each way and if a train comes it can screw up the traffic for up to 10 minutes.

As a train nut I wouldn't mind that... but I know they have these long trains and it can take a while...
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10454 on: November 15, 2020, 01:15:27 am »
So, I went to see the chiropractor/sports medicine guy yesterday, mainly about my back but also about my Achilles tendon inflammation.

I have a distrust of chiropractors in general, not because I think they are not "legit" but because I don't like the cricking and cracking. It just unnerves me. I'm afraid they'll break my neck (no, really, it scares me).

The chiropractor turned out to be a youngish "crunchy granola" type guy with his hair in a man bun, beard, and Birkenstocks. He told me to "hop on the table and I'll sort you out, sister!" Oooookaaaaayyyyyy. He cricked my back and neck good and proper and then checked out my Achilles tendon.

He said that basically, the problem is not the Achilles, the Achilles inflammation is the result of another problem. He explained that he can "see" (how?) that my anterior tibialis muscle is shortened, which, in turn, puts stress and pull on the Achilles and causes the inflammation there. He took my foot and pushed and pulled and did all of the full range of motion exercises and then he cracked my ankle. I thought dude, you're gonna make it ten times worse! He then told me to resume my exercise schedule but carefully so the tibialis muscle does not shorten further because of lack of stretching/motion. No inclines, no high speed. Gentle cross-country skiing on the elliptical trainer and careful stretching.

Then he sent me across the hall for a deep tissue massage. The massage therapist was a young black guy, maybe early to mid-20s? But very, very good and super pleasant. He actually seemed to be more Middle Eastern? Whatever. I could only stand 10 minutes of the deep tissue work, it was just intensely painful. The guy did my shoulder, back, and my leg for the tibialis/Achilles.

Then they send me home with an ice pack and told me to drink a ton of water and rest. Which I did. I felt like I was beaten severely with a blunt object. I started to bruise on my leg after about an hour. I though fuckit. I'm not going back there.

This morning, well. I'm black and blue from the deep tissue massage but... No pain in my Achilles tendon. None. For the first time in weeks I can walk normally. The swelling in my ankle, which was bad, is gone. My back pain is almost gone. WHAT IS THIS VOODOO MAGIC????  :eek7: :eek7: :eek7:

I have a follow-up appointment on December 11, and from then on will probably see them monthly as recommended.

Win.   :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #10455 on: November 15, 2020, 01:20:57 am »
Sounds good Mrs Z :thumleft:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10456 on: November 15, 2020, 02:26:40 am »
You know, I should have worked all day today. Mr. Zog had a tton of stuff he wanted to do.

Instead, we sat at a beachside restaurant, watched the kite surfers, and had a lunch (with cocktails) we couldn't really afford.

Mental Health Saturday.

The following users thanked this post: Ri

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10457 on: November 15, 2020, 02:31:22 am »
You know, I should have worked all day today. Mr. Zog had a tton of stuff he wanted to do.

Instead, we sat at a beachside restaurant, watched the kite surfers, and had a lunch (with cocktails) we couldn't really afford.

Mental Health Saturday.

I did at least rake the leaves in the back yard, I put the canopy tarp back on the frame over the boat, and I did another pressure washing of the boat. Before we went for lunch...

oh, and the waitress had a very sexy bum  :drif:  :peepwall:   ;)

Offline boere

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #10458 on: November 15, 2020, 05:41:58 am »

Mental Health Saturday.

I did at least rake the leaves in the back yard, I put the canopy tarp back on the frame over the boat, and I did another pressure washing of the boat. Before we went for lunch...

oh, and the waitress had a very sexy bum  :drif:  :peepwall:   ;)
[/quote And thats when it started :peepwall: :peepwall:

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #10459 on: November 15, 2020, 10:34:46 am »
This morning, well. I'm black and blue from the deep tissue massage but... No pain in my Achilles tendon. None. For the first time in weeks I can walk normally. The swelling in my ankle, which was bad, is gone. My back pain is almost gone. WHAT IS THIS VOODOO MAGIC????  :eek7: :eek7: :eek7:

Old trick of them.........................................cause pain in another area and then you do not notice the pain in the area you came for!!! :deal: ;) :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za