Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1260023 times)

Fudmucker, africanSky and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #10480 on: November 19, 2020, 12:08:37 am »
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10481 on: November 20, 2020, 11:07:55 pm »
We are all suffering terribly with seasonal pollen allergies at the moment, but poor Maggie is hit the hardest. Sneezing, coughing, and nonstop itching/scratching. It's painful to watch, she's in so much discomfort, and it keeps us up at night because she can't settle down. She assaulted Mr. Zog at 5 o'clock this morning, begging to be scratched all over for relief. When we scratch her, she makes these deeply blissful moans and grunts and leans into the scratches.

Sammy is mostly unaffected, he's a trooper. He just carries on. He has the odd sneeze and scratch, nothing even remotely like what the rest of us are dealing with.

This morning I stopped at the vet and had a chat. She gave me a prescription for prednisone (a steroid) for 10 days to get temporary relief from the itchy skin (long-term use of steroids is not good).

She said not to bother buying special shampoos or sprays, such as oatmeal-based aloe-based etc., they're not strong enough to work. Her recommendation? Plain old Head & Shoulders shampoo. Massage in, let the dog marinate for about 5 minutes, and rinse well. She said to do this every other day, it's very effective, and not to use any of the special "flavors" of H&S, just the plain original, basic formula. Selsun Blue also works.

If Maggie finishes the 10-day prednisone and shampoo regimen and goes right back to itching and scratching, we'll have to look at a proper antihistamine prescription to deal with the allergies. But first, we'll try this.

The "human" antihistamines Benadryl and loratadine (Claritin) are safe for dogs but usually don't work very well. We tried Maggie on Benadryl and it just makes her drowsy, it doesn't stop the itch. The vet confirmed that they are safe to give but there are better options specifically for dogs, such as Apoquel (which she said works extremely well; this will be our next step if needed).

Maybe some of you with dogs will find this helpful, too.  ;)

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #10482 on: November 21, 2020, 02:58:39 am »
The Prednisone will work, I've been on a high dosage recently for my back.
I can tell you one thing though Mrs Z, withdrawal was seriously bad.
One need to taper down on the dosage and I did not know.
Human an dog meds closely related, I did a crash course when I worked with demining dogs.
Hope she feels better soon.

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10483 on: November 21, 2020, 03:42:22 am »
Correct, Tom, you need to taper down. She gets 1 tablet every day for 5 days, and then 1 tablet every two days for another 5 days.

A few years ago I was prescribed prednisone for something and the dosage was 10 tablets a day for 10 days, 9 for 9 days, 8 for 8 days. etc. The side effects were pretty unpleasant, too.

Online Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #10484 on: November 21, 2020, 08:01:29 am »
Sorry to hear of the allergies and hope you guy all get over them soon !

(PS: Seems like getting rid of allergies is going to be easier than getting rid of POTUSA?)

Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10485 on: November 21, 2020, 03:49:22 pm »
Indeed... getting POTUS out of the White House seems to be like trying to get chewing gum off your shoe...  ;D

Maggie slept soundly all night, no coughing, sneezing, or scratching. We all needed a good night. The meds are working.  :thumleft:

Offline Wooly Bugger

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Buell Ulysses XB12
  • DILLIGAF?
« Reply #10486 on: November 21, 2020, 04:41:56 pm »
Has Gary caught any proper fish yet? Like a 200lb perch, or something? How about a Tarpon?
This is not life or death. It is an internet forum.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10487 on: November 21, 2020, 06:26:37 pm »
Has Gary caught any proper fish yet? Like a 200lb perch, or something? How about a Tarpon?

Oh yes, every time he goes deep sea fishing (which is not often) he brings home the goods. My freezer currently holds several kilos of Spanish mackerel and Mahi-Mahi  :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #10488 on: November 23, 2020, 03:40:14 am »
The last week has been a blur.

Early mornings, late evenings. Lots of wind and rain. I think it was Friday when I got this pic of the Indian River Lagoon, looking from West to East, you can see the barrier island in the distance. The lagoon is all stirred up, boats and yachts have broken their moorings and got blown into the shallows. And did I mention the rain?

Here are the pics of the mower that I scored a few days ago. I finally got to push it from the front driveway where I had left it into the back yard on Saturday around midday. It's a nice machine, a TORO mower with a B&S 6.5HP motor and it's self propelled. The reason it got thrown away is because it has rusted out on the front bottom and is about to break in half.  :o

But.... I did mess with it a bit, I got it started and it runs fine. The drive to the front wheels works great. So I pushed it outside the workshop (some more rain can't do it any more harm) while I decide if I want to pull the workings (engine, drive, etc) off the rusted out frame and keep them for another mower that I may find that needs a good engine...

I also was given a pool cleaner a couple of weeks ago.

My google search shows it as a Polaris P825 Robotic In Ground Pool Cleaner with Caddy, and it sells for around $900. Apparently it stopped working. So my plan is to see if I can figure it out, maybe fix it, and then sell it for a couple of hundred bucks... lets see how that one pans out  :peepwall:

On Friday I did make a good score though. I was having a quick look at the "Free" section on Craigslist as I regularly do, and I saw a batch of 4 tyres with rims. Two tyres were brand new, two were used. The rims looked like they were in good shape, and they were the 5-hole type that my boat trailer, as well as my regular trailer uses. So I mailed the guy back, and I was the first respondent!  The guy texted me his address, and during the course of my travels on Friday I went and picked them up.

Two of the tyres are new, they have not been used yet, they still have all their little "hairs" on them, and the white rims are very slightly corroded in a couple of spots. The other two tyres are well used, but the rims are good, they appear to be galvanised... So I pressured them all up and stacked them outside the workshop. Next weekend I'll check that they are holding air, then I'll take the two good ones to work where my trailer is stored and fit them. They are 13" wheels, where the trailer currently has 12" rims. I think they will just run better on the trailer, and they have a much higher load and speed rating.

I was also on standby this weekend, and I got called out three times. Twice on Saturday. So between work, the rain, and me just feeling pretty worn out from a really busy and hard week at work I didn't get much done at all. I didn't even cut the grass. Mainly because it is more like a swamp out there from all the rain.

Eish... excuses, excuses...  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Have a good week y'all. Thanks for reading  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #10489 on: November 23, 2020, 07:00:22 am »
Nice score on those tires and rims. Hoe se Grizz....free is good :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline grizz

• ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #10490 on: November 23, 2020, 09:50:33 am »
Nice score Gary.

13ís will be better overall.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline husky

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #10491 on: November 23, 2020, 11:11:27 am »
Hang in there Zogs; those wheels look a good score - in my experience 13" wheels always better on a smallish trailer. You worry about the small ones.

Look to take in refugees from SA via Wild Dogs; only Kruger Ronts (or USD) accepted for accommodation :biggrin:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10492 on: November 23, 2020, 11:14:52 pm »
On a bright note, Maggie is feeling much, much better and getting a lot of rest. So are we - without all the nightly coughing, sneezing, reverse sneezing, and scratching.

Reverse sneezing:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 11:26:25 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Online Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #10493 on: November 24, 2020, 07:15:05 am »
Humans called it a SNIFF.  :sip:
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Online lpj

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #10494 on: November 25, 2020, 09:14:55 am »
Hey Zog, didn't take you for a smoker...

« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 09:15:32 am by lpj »

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10495 on: November 25, 2020, 03:17:55 pm »
Please, anyone: share a FOOLPROOF recipe for krummelpap or stywe pap. Need for tomorrow, thank you!

I can never get it right.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #10496 on: November 25, 2020, 03:31:26 pm »
...for eg 4 CUPS OF MAIZE MEAL , SALT, 3 CUPS OF WATER

Bring water to boil , turn down heat to very low
Add Maize meal and leave for 10 minutes and use fork to "stir" for crumble effect
VERY IMPORTANT: you can add maize meal if not crumbly enough BUT you CANNOT add water afterwards
Cook at very low heat for 1 hour

It should do the trick :)
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline RTFM

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #10497 on: November 25, 2020, 03:36:58 pm »
MRS Zog

If you need something fancy, you will have to use another recipe.  We eat pap at least 5 times a week, and make it this way.

Boil the water.  Stywepap not more than a third of the "kastrol"  after boiling, let it stand for 30 to 45 seconds to cool down.  This will help to reduce the quantity of clods.  Add salt.  About the same quantity you will use for a kastrol of stew.  Then add a little bit more.  Slowly add the meal, stirring the whole time.  Add enough meal to almost the final consistency you want to reach.   Leave it with the lid on.  Stir again after 20 minutes.  Cook for at least 45  minutes, 90 is better.  Eat.
We do not like dry krummelpap, only the wet variety,  To make it krummel I just add more meal, and then stir it vigorously with a fork after 45 minutes to break it into krummels.  We like it plain like this, but sometime I will stir some condensed milk or cream into it  5 minutes before we eat.  Also add some whole kernel corn at the same time if so desired.

Some connoisseurs is going to completely disagree with me, and have some fancy recipes.  Enjoy 

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #10498 on: November 25, 2020, 03:38:23 pm »
This is the way I do it.
Sorry no exact measurements as I do it chefs measures :thumleft:
I put water in a pot. Say about 10 to 15 mm high.
Put a teaspoon salt in.
Bring to a boil.
Take it off the gas
Put in a lot of maize meal.
You should be worried that you will not get it wet.
Sone people say leave the heap of dry stuff like this for a while.
I get in there straight away with a long 2 tooth fork.
Work it through thoroughly.
Put back on gas.....very low.
Secret to get really fine krummels is to work it through every 15 minutes with your 2 tooth fork.
After about 30 minutes after one on the stirs I will make a little well in the middle and add some cold water there.
Close it up and let the steam cook it.
But most important is to stir it at least every 15 minutes

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline pwt

« Reply #10499 on: November 25, 2020, 03:46:05 pm »
Please, anyone: share a FOOLPROOF recipe for krummelpap or stywe pap. Need for tomorrow, thank you!

I can never get it right.

My missus makes  mieliepap in the U.S using your normal grits, can ask her for the method when I speak to her later, but I am certain  that any of the above recipes will suffice. Not sure if the grits is the same as our mealie/ maize meal but I suspect it is, recall her saying that our maize meal is little finer or might be the other way around