Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1286100 times)

Mountain Goat, Sand_man and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #10500 on: November 25, 2020, 03:48:35 pm »
I think in the end the answers would have been less if you asked what oil to use on the moving parts of your Singer sewing machine!! ;) :peepwall: :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #10501 on: November 25, 2020, 04:17:40 pm »
Please, anyone: share a FOOLPROOF recipe for krummelpap or stywe pap. Need for tomorrow, thank you!

I can never get it right.

My missus makes  mieliepap in the U.S using your normal grits, can ask her for the method when I speak to her later, but I am certain  that any of the above recipes will suffice. Not sure if the grits is the same as our mealie/ maize meal but I suspect it is, recall her saying that our maize meal is little finer or might be the other way around

Grits is like braai-pap, even more course.
It's ok but not like we South Africans like it.
You can buy real imported Iwiza online, delivered to your door at a price.
I make due with grits.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10502 on: November 25, 2020, 04:25:54 pm »
THANK YOU ALL!

I don't need "fancy", and also, I have about a kilo of proper South African mielie meal in the pantry (Iwiza)  :thumleft:

Offline Wooly Bugger

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Buell Ulysses XB12
  • DILLIGAF?
« Reply #10503 on: November 25, 2020, 04:32:11 pm »
Gary, howzit.

I have arranged a 7 day trip for you with my fav angler in order for you to catch the elusive Silver King. You need to pack some extra (and clean) undies. Hope you enjoy it and post ALL of the pic's.

This is not life or death. It is an internet forum.

Online frankmac

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #10504 on: November 25, 2020, 04:47:36 pm »
THANK YOU ALL!

I don't need "fancy", and also, I have about a kilo of proper South African mielie meal in the pantry (Iwiza)  :thumleft:

The only difference between krummel pap and stywe pap is the quantity of water one uses. Phuthu (pootoo) is Zulu for krummel pap.

As Woody says, stir regularly with a carving fork.

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Wooly Bugger

• Grey hound
  • DILLIGAF?
« Reply #10505 on: November 25, 2020, 04:48:29 pm »
&t=400s

Go catch one, Gary!

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Fiets Loos!
« Reply #10506 on: November 25, 2020, 08:34:30 pm »
Please, anyone: share a FOOLPROOF recipe for krummelpap or stywe pap. Need for tomorrow, thank you!

My missus makes  mieliepap in the U.S using your normal grits, can ask her for the method when I speak to her later, but I am certain  that any of the above recipes will suffice. Not sure if the grits is the same as our mealie/ maize meal but I suspect it is, recall her saying that our maize meal is little finer or might be the other way around

I make due with grits.

Tom I heard you can get mielie meel in the dog food section or at a vet. a Friend in the USA buy theirs at the local vet's that sell it as dog food.

Offline corne.l

« Reply #10507 on: November 26, 2020, 11:19:59 am »
THANK YOU ALL!

I work mine with ratios

1:1 water to maize meal = stywe pap
1:2 water to maize = krummel pap
2:1 water to maize = slap pap

Sent from my Nokia 8 Sirocco using Tapatalk

in vino veritas, in cervesio felicitas

Yamaha XT1200Z (2010) - SOLD
Yamaha XT660Z (2009) - SOLD
BMW F650GS Dakar (2004) - SOLD

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #10508 on: November 26, 2020, 05:25:39 pm »

I make due with grits.

Tom I heard you can get mielie meel in the dog food section or at a vet. a Friend in the USA buy theirs at the local vet's that sell it as dog food.

I am working in the grain business and there is a big difference between the handling and processing of 'grain for animal purpose' and 'grain for human consumption'. I'll be a bit reluctant.......will rather stick to grids and maybe next year start buying Iwiza online.  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Bikerboer1973

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10509 on: November 26, 2020, 09:48:54 pm »
Finished today - Book 38 of 2020

Chilling. Published in 2004 but incredibly relevant today, especially the last chapter, which looks at future pandemics and (un)preparedness. Highly recommend.

Very scientific on a molecular biology/biochemistry level but broken down into manageable chunks that are explained well for those without a science background.

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #10510 on: November 27, 2020, 11:45:32 am »
Based on its origin, the so-called "Spanish Flu" of 1918 should truthfully be called the "US Kansas Flu" - and it was more lethal than COVID!   :o

(EDIT: All R+P content removed)  ::)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 10:45:51 pm by Fudmucker »
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #10511 on: November 29, 2020, 01:29:54 am »
Gary, howzit.

I have arranged a 7 day trip for you with my fav angler in order for you to catch the elusive Silver King. You need to pack some extra (and clean) undies. Hope you enjoy it and post ALL of the pic's.

Joh  :drif: :drif: :drif:

I definitely have the Tarpon on my bucket list. I have actually seen a few around in the Sebastian River and Turkey Creek, but thus far they have eluded my lures.  :xxbah:

Maybe Darcie will bring me luck...  :peepwall: :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10512 on: November 29, 2020, 02:07:31 am »
Work has been keeping me very busy. By Wednesday evening I had already worked 7 hours OT.

Home well after dark (this daylight time shit sucks  :xxbah: ) every night meant that nothing happened on the boat this week.

But then. Weekend.  :biggrin:

Thursday was Thanksgiving, a bigger holiday than Christmas in the USA. But I was on call, so we decided that we would treat it as a normal day because Murphy says that as soon as we sit down to a nice meal the phone will ring and I will have to go work. So delicious spaghetti and mince for supper.

Friday I had taken the day off. I just needed a break. So first thing Friday morning I took my work van back to the shop, worked on a quote that needed to get done, and headed home with my utility trailer. The wheel bearings on it were sounding a little rough so I needed to redo them. I also wanted to see if the free 13" wheels that I had scored would fit.

The wheel bearings were quote shot. I had used this trailer to launch my plastic bass boat in salt water a few times, and that had caused some rust. So I got two sets of new bearings at the auto spares shop (O'Reilleys Auto Spares) and fitted them. It's so much easier when you have the right tools  :thumleft:

Then I took the trailer back to the shop and on the way home I picked up some 2x4's at the Home Depot. I had roughly designed a couple of trestles that I would need to support the Boston Whaler when I got it off the trailer. Back home I cut them up and assembled the two trestles.

But then it was late afternoon, and I needed to get the braai going...  for OUR thanksgiving dinner  :biggrin:

Mrs Zog made pap & sous, and some lekker veggies, including butternut  :drif: in the oven. I braaied some lamb chops (still some that Big Oil had sent us  - thanks again buddy, they were frikken DELICIOUS!).  And I drank a couple of pirate juices...  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Today (Saturday) I got to work getting the trailer out from under the boat. The crane I had bought a few weeks ago came in very handy.

Then I needed to roll the boat over so I could do the repairs on the hull and the keel.This was a big job, because a mistake could either lead to injury or death, or even worse, damage to the boat  :eek7:

With clever use of the crane, straps, and levers, I eventually got it done.  :sip:  8)

Now the boat is upside down on the trestles, and it's really solid.  :thumleft:

If anything, the trestles are just a little high, but I can still reach the keel amidships if I stand on my little crate. I'm hoping that the extra height will allow sufficient sunlight to prevent the grass dying.

At last I was able to give the hull a proper inspection. There is some keel-rash, but nothing too bad.

An old repair is coming loose. The PO didn't even grind the old gelcoat away, just sanded a bit and stuck some glass down.

I will grind this open properly, then repair it properly, then the hull will get a fresh coat of Marine Paint...

The rest of the damage is just general wear-and-tear type stuff. Small chips in the gelcoat, and a minor crack (probably from grounding the boat) next to the keel.

The glass around the bow-eye also has some damage, so I'll be removing the metalwork and fixing this propely.

But that was enough for the boat for one day. So I turned my attention to the trailer...

With the boat finally off the trailer I could inspect the wooden bunks...

Spot the mistake...

Yup... that is grass you can see beneath the carpeting on the wooden bunk  :eek7:

The wooden bunk had completely rotted away

The other bunks were not much better

The two long bunks that support the sides of the hull were not as bad, but I removed them as well anyway. The bolts holding them were getting a bit rusted... well, one anyway  :peepwall:

This trailer is actually pretty fancy. It has both rollers and bunks. There is a lever at the front that you pull back on, which lifts up the rollers a little bit. This makes getting the boat on-and-off the trailer very easy. Then when the boat is in position you release the lever and the rollers drop down again and the boat is supported on the wooden bunks that are covered in special carpet. This gives you the best of both worlds in a boat trailer.

Two of the rollers were completely jammed up, so I removed them. With some difficulty  :peepwall: 

They were very badly corroded.

I will be replacing both of these rollers when the budget allows.

But in the meantime I popped into Home Depot and grabbed two planks (2x6's) for the long bunks. And new galvanized bolts and nuts and washers.

These I cut to size (I added an extra foot of length in the front) and chamfered the ends, then drilled the new holes and bolted them in place. I still need to use some 2x4's for the smaller bunks. but I'll do them when I get some of the special marine carpet for them.

And that was my day. Apart from late afternoon I went down to Turkey Creek to see if I could get a fishy... but alas. Maybe tomorrow  :peepwall:

Thanks for reading y'all  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline WheelieDog

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • DL650 VStrom
« Reply #10513 on: November 29, 2020, 09:39:46 am »
I'm really getting a kick out of your boat restore.

It's a beaut of a boat and deserves your loving touch👍
For the love of it.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10514 on: November 29, 2020, 08:25:39 pm »
Sitting in the study, working... Mr. Zog is mowing the lawn, zipping by my window back and forth.

He drives that lawn tractor like he's at the Daytona Speedway!  :imaposer:

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #10515 on: November 29, 2020, 08:35:24 pm »
Sitting in the study, working... Mr. Zog is mowing the lawn, zipping by my window back and forth.

:imaposer:
Ja/Nee

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10516 on: November 30, 2020, 01:32:15 am »

I got a lot of stuff to get to  :deal:  :ricky:

This morning I checked online what the rollers and the bunk carpet cost at West Marine and I calculated that I could buy them today. So I got into the Chevy truck and went on over. On the way home I stopped at Home Depot for a couple of plumbing fittings for another project...

Back home I first had a couple of chores to get done, including taking out the trash and recycling bins, and giving them both a good scrubbing. I also put up a little plank on the garage wall with some cup hooks and some screws in to hold the brooms and mop and stuff...

Then I surveyed my haul from West Marine...

New keel rollers, new pins, and a 12 foot roll of carpet.

I first installed the new rollers, adding a liberal amount of grease to each pin to try and avoid the rust bug in the future.

Then I needed to grind off the very rusted steel tubing that someone had welded to the trailer. I'm guessing that they were put on there to make a step to get up into the boat, but they have completely rusted out so they have to go. There were two bits in front of each wheel and two bits behind each wheel, so 8 in total...  :bueller:

I did think about welding new ones on, but I really don't need them, and they will add a lot of extra time and expense to this job.

After grinding them off I used a flapper disc to smooth the areas out nicely, then I hit them all with some self-etching primer and then a coat of grey paint. I think they will not rust for a long time.  :sip:

« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 01:34:20 am by Mr Zog »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10517 on: November 30, 2020, 01:44:18 am »
Then it was time to call my mom and my son in SA before they all went off to bed.

Next was the weed eater and the mower. Thankfully the cooler weather means that the grass is growing a whole lot slower, but the trees are losing their leaves, so raking up leaves is the next chore  :xxbah:  :lol8:

Then I took off the cage that sits on the back of the bakkie to keep the dogs from jumping off. I have found that when I need to load stuff like 2x4's or anything long or large the cage is in the way. So I cut out a section in the back and made a door  :biggrin:

I used left over pipe that I had in the workshop, but I did need to get 6 elbows earlier at the Depot...  I used two old gate hinges that I had salvaged from somewhere previously, after a good cleaning on the wire wheel and primer and paint.

I also designed the door so that it would open past TDC so that it would stay open while I was loading stuff, so no need for a stay to keep it open.

Now all I need to do is find a couple of clasps or bolt-style jobbies to keep it closed when the dogs are inside. I think I may have some in a bin in the workshop somewhere, I just need to have a look. But not tonight...

Finally I tidied everything up and went down to the pond and threw a line in for a few minutes, but nothing was biting. Must be the full moon  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Oh, and Maggie just had another bath with Head-And-Shoulders to help with her itching  :lol8:

Thanks for reading y'all, have a great week  :thumleft:  :ricky:

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #10518 on: November 30, 2020, 07:45:17 pm »
Lekker Gary - I enjoy reading your posts and THANK YOU (and the Mrs) for all the effort it takes in keeping us all entertained - it is greatly appreciated  :thumleft:
Ja/Nee

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Wooly Bugger

• Grey hound
  • DILLIGAF?
« Reply #10519 on: November 30, 2020, 08:20:50 pm »
Jeesh, you get through a lot of work?!