Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1286661 times)

davidmalan and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Skaiidawg

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #10520 on: November 30, 2020, 09:43:37 pm »
So, using DJT's logic regarding the "China virus", the so-called "Spanish Flu" of 1918 should be called the "US Kansas Flu"...

and it was more lethal !  :pot:

Pot calling the kettle black.

Please leave your political comments in the R&P section of this forum.
Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.

The following users thanked this post: pwt, Mrs. Zog

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #10521 on: November 30, 2020, 10:48:02 pm »
"R+P" content edited out.
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

The following users thanked this post: Mr Zog, Mrs. Zog

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #10522 on: December 01, 2020, 12:42:32 am »
Most people in Florida don't keep their cars in the garage, they park them in the driveway outside the garage.

Garages are storage areas, for all sorts of kak, like lawn mowers, extra furniture, tools, etc.

This is a customers garage, I had to take a water sample from him today. He is an avid fisherman and has a boat in the front yard, and keeps a fuckload of very expensive fishing equipment in his garage; shimano deep sea reels ($1000 each  :eek7: ), fishing rods, lures, etc.  He was not going to be home today when I went there, he and his wife both work, so he left the garage door open for me. I needed to take the water sample from the UV light filter that I installed on Wednesday that is inside the garage.

I backed my work van into the driveway, went into his garage, took the water sample, and left. I didn't see any security cameras inside the garage or outside the house. I did see all the very expensive fishing gear. as well as power tools, garden tools, and other stuff inside his garage. When I left I left the garage open, as instructed.

The customer lives very close to the beach, only about 200 meters from the ocean, so not a quiet area.

You gotta love it when you can leave your house open and not worry that your stuff will disappear  :thumleft:

Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #10523 on: December 01, 2020, 12:46:53 am »
Lekker Gary - I enjoy reading your posts and THANK YOU (and the Mrs) for all the effort it takes in keeping us all entertained - it is greatly appreciated  :thumleft:

You know TeeJay, just today I was driving and thinking that maybe this thread has run its course and I should wind it up. We have been here 5 years in March, and I'm running out of stuff to  tell y'all about  :peepwall:

But your comment has inspired me to keep it going some more  :thumleft:

I'll try to post stuff that shows the realities of living in the USA, and more specifically the part of Florida that we call home now.  :sip:

Jeesh, you get through a lot of work?!

If I don't do it, nobody will  :peepwall:  ;)
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10524 on: December 01, 2020, 01:39:16 am »
One of the neighbors behind us put up their Christmas lights today. It's... bearable.  ::)

I'm not a fan of a lot of overdone, multicolored, blinking stuff. I prefer solid white lights, the "less is more" approach. But I understand that if you have kids it's not an option. (They don't.)

Can you believe it's been almost a year since we went to St. Augustine and drove through the Christmas display at the Daytona Speedway and had that amazing dinner at the Chart House? This year we're doing something much more budget-friendly.

Rock City Gardens in Vero Beach is a nursery/botanical garden. I've been there twice but never took the time to explore. This weekend they are having a "Garden of Lights Holiday Stroll," with everything decorated for Christmas. It's $15 per person, and there will be "lights, music, drinks and treats," a raffle, and plant vendors.* It's on for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday between 6 and 9 pm.

We're aiming for Saturday night, although that will probably be the busiest. On the way home we plan to stop at our favorite Mexican cantina (which we haven't been to at all this year because of COVID) and get Mexican takeaway for dinner.

I'm so looking forward to it! I'll get pictures for y'all.  :thumleft:

*It's mostly outdoors, and masks are required indoors and when within 6 ft of people.  :thumleft: But there should be no problem to stay 6 ft away from people when strolling through the lit-up garden!

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #10525 on: December 01, 2020, 01:53:51 am »
This thread has always been a great read - a blog by real people with their feet firmly on the ground and not being "influencers" seeking the attention and (dare I say) the income in the manner of "reality" vloggers on YouTube. You share with us without paid product endorsements or "please subscribe" and "donate to my Patreon / Paypal account" appeals. For that I thank you all, because it is NOT commercial in nature. That is why we keep coming back and why we help when we are able and you need assistance.

We love and admire you for being just who you are.  :thumleft:
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Oubones

« Reply #10526 on: December 01, 2020, 07:39:30 am »
I find your thread very informative as it is real and not driven by sensation seeking posts or for financial gain!
I understand the time and effort it takes from you two and really appreciate that!
Please keep it going!
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #10527 on: December 01, 2020, 08:37:48 am »
Dear Gary and Tannie

Thanks for sharing. My guess is that most of us appreciate your honesty. This is our life. We are grateful for what we have and doing the best with what we have.

You guys are a motivation! Keep on Keeping on!

XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog, LouwRider

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Fiets Loos!
« Reply #10528 on: December 01, 2020, 09:45:04 am »

You know TeeJay, just today I was driving and thinking that maybe this thread has run its course and I should wind it up. We have been here 5 years in March, and I'm running out of stuff to  tell y'all about  :peepwall:

But your comment has inspired me to keep it going some more  :thumleft:

I'll try to post stuff that shows the realities of living in the USA, and more specifically the part of Florida that we call home now.  :sip:

Die hel sal jou haal as jy dit doen, veral voor die boot klaar is  >:D

Sorry Mrs. Z for the AFR don't know a better way to express my self in eng.

Online KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #10529 on: December 01, 2020, 10:19:12 am »
Agreed, Zogs I just love this thread :thumleft:

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #10530 on: December 01, 2020, 10:43:58 am »
Howzit, this is like my favorite TV show, first thing I do when getting to the office.

What you guys have done is pretty inspirational and well worth the reading.

Well done and keep it up.  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #10531 on: December 01, 2020, 11:15:52 am »
You gotta love it when you can leave your house open and not worry that your stuff will disappear

Gary do you live in a low crime area?
Below are prison stats for the US I guess theft is a big crime or would drugs be the main thing people get in prison for?

The United States has the largest prison population in the world, and the highest per-capita incarceration rate.[3][4][5] In 2018 in the US, there were 698 people incarcerated per 100,000;[6] this includes the incarceration rate for adults or people tried as adults.[7][3] In 2016, 2.2 million Americans have been incarcerated, which means for every 100,000 there are 655 who are currently inmates. Prison, parole, and probation operations generate an $81 billion annual cost to U.S. taxpayers, while police and court costs, bail bond fees, and prison phone fees generate another $100 billion in costs that are paid by individuals.[
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline grizz

• Race Dog
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #10532 on: December 01, 2020, 11:51:01 am »
I would say just look at your daily views counter to get an idea of how many peoples lives you touch.

My Rezin Rockit thread was exceeding 1000 views per day the first two months just on Retrorides plus all the otber forums I contribute to.

You and Mrs Z are motivating and funny.

People follow your doings and screwings because you make us feel normal when we have kak in our lives.

Simply put: YOU MAKE A DIFFERENCE. THANK YOU.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

The following users thanked this post: Skeltonsc, Oubones, Mrs. Zog

Offline valkerieforever

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Between the Smoke and Mirrors
« Reply #10533 on: December 01, 2020, 11:59:29 am »
I would say just look at your daily views counter to get an idea of how many peoples lives you touch.

My Rezin Rockit thread was exceeding 1000 views per day the first two months just on Retrorides plus all the otber forums I contribute to.

You and Mrs Z are motivating and funny.

People follow your doings and screwings because you make us feel normal when we have kak in our lives.

Simply put: YOU MAKE A DIFFERENCE. THANK YOU.

I could not agree more. I LOVE reading your posts. Thank you!!!!

Offline RrP

« Reply #10534 on: December 01, 2020, 12:18:16 pm »
Mr and Mrs Zog happenings the first read/ goto for some motivation and vuma keep it going thank you.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Offline Ri

« Reply #10535 on: December 01, 2020, 12:45:33 pm »
Yeah.
You Eveready Bunnies make us look bad, but feel good. Truly inspirational  :love5:

And the beloved zogglies too, of course.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 12:46:17 pm by Ri »

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10536 on: December 01, 2020, 04:53:30 pm »
A very beautiful sunrise this morning, courtesy of the cold front that came through yesterday. Very nippy today, may have to wear long pants!  :eek7:

The following users thanked this post: Bikerboer1973

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #10537 on: December 01, 2020, 05:37:40 pm »
Can confirm that there is little crime, and everything gets on the news.
Local citizens help solving cases, and there is no ignorance like (sadly) back in our country.
My truck cant lock (I think) and I leave all my valuables in there while shopping at Wallmart.
Last night I came back from a long road trip to Geneva in Nebraska and forgot the trucks keys in the ignition. This morning the truck still there.
I get a bit annoyed with the youngsters forgetting to lock our house, yet all save.
Postman deliver parcel and leave it on the stoep.
If you google crime in Kansas you'll see s lot of statistics but I do not know where or when since we never seen it, not in Western KS last year and not here in North Eastern KS nor NE.
Life is very different in the States from the live we know back home.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10538 on: December 01, 2020, 06:05:35 pm »
Most crime here is targeted, not opportunistic.

Most serious crimes, like murders, assaults, etc., are gang-related, drug-related, or Jim Bob killed Billy Bob because he slept with his sister. You get the idea. Of course you have random crime, and of course, it's worse in the big cities. I wouldn't want to walk through most inner cities by myself in the dark.

Palm Bay, where we live, is relatively small. There are some "bad" areas, some homeless encampments in a wooded part, and also drug-related activity in some of the worse neighborhoods, but they keep themselves to themselves. Our neighborhood is strictly suburban-residential -- unless you live here or are visiting, you have no reason to drive through here. It's not a "through street" that people use to get somewhere.

(I'm sitting in the study at my desk, looking out the window at the street in front of our house - not a single car has come by since I started work this morning - 4 hours).

A few times we've forgotten to close the back door at night, or the garage door, and lived to talk about it  ;D

When we first got here and the dogglies had just joined us in the previous house, we had no dog flap for them to go out at night if they needed to pee. Mr. Zog was still in full "SA crime mode", having been here only a couple of weeks. I told him it's ok, just leave the sliding door open at night 1/4 of the way so they can go and pee. He was horrified.

He's come a long way, away from that mindset. Now we close the flap at night simply because we don't want the raccoons to get in.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 06:19:40 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #10539 on: December 01, 2020, 07:55:48 pm »
So how was the pap making episode. Or did I mis the report :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600