Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1327979 times)

Celbofs and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mrs. Zog

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #10760 on: January 09, 2021, 12:10:16 am »
What a day.

Friday = my day off. I haven't left the house in any meaningful way since we came down with Covid, and I needed to get out, badly. So I decided that today would be a "mental reset" day (aka beach day), followed by an afternoon reading session and general laziness. I got up with good intentions to make it so. However.

We realized over our pre-dawn coffee that Maggie really does need a refill of the allergy medicine, she's been scratching herself to shreds since it ran out. So I called the vet to order the refill. Well & good, it's on the way to the beach, I can just stop in there.

I set off. Stopped in at Dunkin' Donuts for a coffee and a donut and continued to the vet. Onward over the Orchid Island Causeway, ogling rich people mansions. The beach at the Turtle Sanctuary where I wanted to go was closed for dune restoration, so instead I stopped at Ponce de Leon Beach Park. I've driven by there but never stopped.

This is supposedly where Ponce de Leon made landfall. I say "supposedly" because I know of at least two other beaches in Florida that make the same claim. So who knows. The flags you see are of the USA, Spain, Puerto Rico, and Florida. If you Google the history of Ponce de Leon, you can find out his connections with all of these, I'm not going to spell it out here.  :)

The wind at the beach was howling and I was getting sandblasted, so I didn't stay. Saw a massive cruise ship out at sea... who is taking cruises right now, anyway?  :eek7:

On my way home, I thought, let me stop at the dentist and make my annual cleaning appointment. Fine and well. If you have been reading this entire thread, you know about my hate for dentists. Yes. I HATE dentists. But I'd rather go for preventive care once or twice a year than suffer later. The receptionist said they can schedule me for end of February or I can come back in an hour. Fine, back in an hour. Might as well get it over with for the year.

So I suffered through that. Then back home, where I had to give Maggie a shower to keep the itch at bay until the allergy meds kick in.

Normally she's really good about it, sort of resigned to her fate. Today, though, she wasn't having any of that. Kicking, screaming, biting, scratching, escaping from the shower dripping full of shampoo, I had to do a rugby tackle in the hallway to get that slippery eel back. I look like I've been in the First Shower War of 2021.

Meanwhile, Sammy is having one of his clingy, needy, don't-leave-me, stuck-to-me days where he has to cram himself into the tiny bathroom with us while all of this is going down.

I've had quite enough of today's "relaxing" day, thank you!  ;D

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10761 on: January 09, 2021, 02:25:27 am »
Mr. Zog arrived home tonight bringing dinner from "Food Truck Friday" in the shopping center parking lot so I don't have to cook.

He had some pulled pork and steak with rice and a side of mac & cheese, and he got me the most delicious Ahi Tuna Poke Bowl.  :drif:

That's what you need to do. Marry someone who knows you so well that he picks exactly the food you would have chosen yourself and brings it to you to brighten your day.

I love you!  :-*

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline frankmac

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #10762 on: January 09, 2021, 06:25:32 am »

Then back home, where I had to give Maggie a shower to keep the itch at bay until the allergy meds kick in.

Sorry about the crappy day.

Regarding hounds, I'm a firm believer in not bathing dogs at all unless they've rolled in dead animal eau de cologne.

I merely brush them down even after a trip to the beach.

Their natural oils in the skin look after the hair and hide.

That said, our 5 are more outside than inside dogs.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10763 on: January 09, 2021, 06:32:08 pm »
We used to wash her very rarely, in South Africa and here in the previous house, unless... "eau de dead critter". Sammy is still washed very rarely, but he also is a couch potato and doesn't get stinky, and he also does not have itch/scratch issues.

However, this is truly a seasonal allergy situation (as also confirmed by the vet). She's outside all the time so we keep her fur trimmed short and wash her regularly to get rid of as much as possible, as recommended by the vet. The Apoquel helps so much.

Also, further confirmation of it being allergies... we are all suffering. Mr. Zog and I are sneezing and snotting and congested constantly. Sammy is somewhat affected but not as badly, mostly sneezing, no itch. None of us had allergies before we moved into this house. We think it's the big oak tree across the street. Sometimes our cars are just coated with a film of yellow pollen.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 07:09:48 pm by Mrs. Zog »

The following users thanked this post: frankmac

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #10764 on: January 10, 2021, 01:34:32 am »
So today was interesting...

I left home early, had to go to the bank to pay some bills, then I went past the Discount boat shop and bagged a can of epoxy resin and hardener. On the way home I went past work and grabbed the dirty towels out of my work van that I had forgotten to take out yesterday.

At home Mrs Zog asked me really nicely, while I was eating the sandwich she had made me for breakfast, to make some additional shelves for the pantry cupboard.

So this is what the inside of our pantry cupboard looks like... lets call it the "before" pics.

The small shelves you can see in the back are just old shelves that were in the workshop when we moved in (I think?). They were pressed into service in the pantry. "Just until I get around to making new shelves"...  :peepwall:

Well that has been 2.5 years now, and it's time I guess....

So the plan is to remove the free-standing little shelves, and the lower built-in shelf.

Then I will install new shelves against the back wall, as well as bringing them forward along both side walls to increase shelf-space. If you look closely you will see there is a access panel against the left wall, as well as another one low down. These need to remain accessible so I can get to plumbing pipes behind the shower.

Anyways, I went to the Home Depot after taking some measurements and designing a plan, and I bought a single sheet of 3/4" (19mm) plywood. I got them to make just two cuts so that I could handle it a little easier. The rest of the cuts I will make myself. I also got a can of white paint to paint everything when I am done.

Back home I carried everything into my workshop and started getting tools prepared and ready...

Then Mrs Zog came out to the workshop, a piece of paper in her hand.

It was a letter from Home Depot, with a very nice discount coupon attached  :lol8:  On the coupon it states that the coupon must be presented when you make the purchase.

FUCK  just too late for me, I already made the purchase  :xxbah:

But wait... lets give it a try.

So back into my bakkie (maybe just an excuse to drive it again  :ricky: ) and back to the Home Depot.

I presented myself, masked up, at the customer service counter. The lady was very helpful, but showed me that the words printed on the coupon were very clear...

But then she said wait... lets see...  she took my receipt, and "returned" the stuff that I had bought a few minutes earlier. Then she rang it all up again, and scanned the discount coupon.

Voila!  I got my big discount, just because I asked nicely, and because the lady at the customer service was nice.

Made it all worth the while  :biggrin:

So back home I cut up the bits of the sheet of plywood, and then cleaned up the workshop, and then it was getting dark so I fed the squirrels and closed up and went inside.

Now I must go because supper is ready...  :drif:

I'll try get the new shelves installed tomorrow, with pics for y'all of course  :thumleft:  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: WimC

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #10765 on: January 10, 2021, 05:38:25 am »
It must be your accent, Zog.
... and your politeness
... and your magnetic personality
... and wearing a mask without bitching about it.

Looking forward to your 'after' pix.  :sip:
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline grizz

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #10766 on: January 10, 2021, 12:06:27 pm »
Interesting experience Gary.

I cancelled my Galaxy insurance last week per phone.

The standard fee for cancellations and editing of insurance in this country is an eye watering £35.00 as it is on the fine print. And we all read it. Right.

I knew it and to be honest, sometimes getting screwed is just part of the package.

So I said to the lass on the desk that it was a pity as I had tried to insure the new vehicle through ESURE..... but they did not cover imports.

She apologised and went to ask her manager..... next thing they waive the admin cancellation fee, and I get an extra £35.00 back on my return.

All about attitude. And saying you do not understand, or need help to understand will often lead to the service person almost telling or selling you the solution, and suddenly problem sorted.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10767 on: January 11, 2021, 01:28:51 am »
Spoiler alert - I didn't get the pantry shelves finished.

But I did a whole lot done.

So this morning Mrs Zog pulled out all the food from the pantry and packed it away in the study where the dogs will hopefully not be able to raid it  :lol8:

Then I removed the old shelves and brackets and the two little bookcases from the pantry.

This is where I found the first snag. The holes in the wall.

I kinda knew they were there, but I had only had a cursory glance at them behind their covers when we bought the house. Now I took a good look and did a bit of deductioning  :peepwall:

I am surmising that the top hole was where the mixing unit for the shower (it's right behind that wall) used to be, and the lower hole is where they cut away to get to the pipes that come up from the floor when they rebuilt the shower some years ago. The old copper pipes show signs that they did leak a bit a long time ago, but they are fine now, the repairs are good, and I'm not going to mess with them.

I decided that the top hole can be permanently closed, but the bottom hole can stay open, but with a cover that I will screw over it, so that in the event of a leak I can have easy access for a repair. But I don't need such a big hole, so I decided to make the hole a little smaller.

The first thing I did with the repair was to cut the hole square, and just a little bigger so the left edge was over the stud running up the wall.

Then I added a little strip of offcut plywood inside the wall at the right hand edge, screwing it in place with a couple of drywall screws.

I did a similar job on the bottom hole, but a added some plywood strips at the top and bottom of the hole as well.

Then I cut some sheetrock (drywall) to the correct size and fitted it in the hole, screwing it in with drywall screws.

It's important to screw the screws in so that the head of the screw is just below the surface of the sheetrock.

And I did the same with the bottom hole...

Then I spread a layer of "mud" (that's what they call this very fine "polyfilla" here) over the patches and let it dry. The top hole needed a bit of a thicker layer to get it all perfectly smooth, and this took several hours to dry, even with a fan blowing directly onto it.

Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10768 on: January 11, 2021, 02:01:18 am »
While I was waiting for the mud to dry I made two templates for the ends of the side shelves.

The trim around the door stands out a bit, and I want the shelves to completely close up at the ends. So I spent some time using some offcut 1/4 inch plywood to make the two templates.

Then I needed to cut the template shapes onto the 8 pieces of side shelving. Doing each one by hand with the jig saw and a file and sandpaper would have taken me hours.

So I put a trim-cut bit in my table router, and screwed the template to the top of the shelf. Just a few seconds in the router and it was done. I did this 8 times, then just a light sanding and they were done  :biggrin:  It REALLY helps to have the right tools  :ricky:

The end result...

Finally the mud was dry and I was able to sand it down. Then I painted the inside walls of the pantry with the first coat of bright white paint...

I remembered why I dislike painting so much. I have paint tp both my elbows, paint in my hair, eish! But that's as far as I got. I needed to let the paint dry completely so I can decide if it needs a second coat or not (probably does), and then I can mark out the lines where the supports for the shelves need to be attached. But this morning when I got out of bed it was a freezing 2 degs C, and by late afternoon when the sun was getting low it was right down in single digits again. So I chickened out and called it a day.  :peepwall:

Anyway, it was time to drink Rum and post pics and stories for y'all  :ricky:  :imaposer:

Back to work again tomorrow, I'm going to try get as much done installing the shelves this week after work, IF I get home early enough  :sip:  :thumleft:

Thanks for reading, have a great week.  :biggrin:

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 02:04:15 am by Mr Zog »

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #10769 on: January 11, 2021, 07:27:59 am »
Nice job with the trim router there

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #10770 on: January 11, 2021, 08:35:08 am »
Nice job Mr Zog - pity that orange water pipe can't be moved/hidden?
Ja/Nee

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #10771 on: January 11, 2021, 08:57:44 am »
Mr Z, there are lots of vids on Youtube showing how they do it without using timber backing.
When contractors come in. they want to do it fast and not hang about waiting for 'mud' to dry.

Removable panels are a different problem and having framing behind is essential.
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline grizz

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #10772 on: January 11, 2021, 10:38:41 am »
Mooi Gary.

Looks good.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Namakwalander

« Reply #10773 on: January 11, 2021, 01:01:03 pm »
We used to wash her very rarely, in South Africa and here in the previous house, unless... "eau de dead critter". Sammy is still washed very rarely, but he also is a couch potato and doesn't get stinky, and he also does not have itch/scratch issues.

However, this is truly a seasonal allergy situation (as also confirmed by the vet). She's outside all the time so we keep her fur trimmed short and wash her regularly to get rid of as much as possible, as recommended by the vet. The Apoquel helps so much.

Also, further confirmation of it being allergies... we are all suffering. Mr. Zog and I are sneezing and snotting and congested constantly. Sammy is somewhat affected but not as badly, mostly sneezing, no itch. None of us had allergies before we moved into this house. We think it's the big oak tree across the street. Sometimes our cars are just coated with a film of yellow pollen.

About the itchy dog. I don't know the whole story, but have you tried giving her some canola or olive oil with her food? Or even omega oil capsules (those transparent pill jobbies) will work. Also when giving baths, I found that getting a shampoo with tea tree oil in it also helps. Or I just added a few drops of tea tree oil to the shampoo.

We had a very iffy child dog that passed away a few years ago. We found that the above stopped the constant scratching and she was just a more happy dog. Also only ate the expensive dog food. A real lady that one.
Born to be Mild

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10774 on: January 11, 2021, 03:55:58 pm »
Yes, we've tried omega oils, olive oil, and tea tree shampoo. We've also investigated possible food allergies.

Although the Apoquel tablets are expensive, they stop the itch, and that's what matters. She can rest and not scratch herself raw. We're currently seeing how she does on a half tablet a day, we'll see how it goes.  :thumleft:

The problem is that all those other remedies like shampoo fix the symptoms supercicially. For you out there with pharmacological/biochemistry knowledge, Apoquel is a JAK inhibitor and turns the itch off "at the source" by targeting the cytokines that cause the itch. It's not a steroid or an antihistamine, so it doesn't suppress the immune system.

/End Science Lecture  ;D

P.S. I should also mention that we have a wonderful vet. He's one of those rare ones who takes all the time in the world to talk to you, remembers your family and life events, makes sure you understand 100% what your treatment options are and literally draws you a picture if you don't understand (he has a whiteboard and markers in his treatment room). He owns the practice and is the only vet there, along with three vet techs. He answers his phone at home until 9 pm every night. I trust him 100% regarding treatment recommendations. He also knows we're not rich and always knocks something off the bill. (When Maggie had her big surgery about 3 years ago he told me, just pay what you can and we'll forget about the rest). And that's why I drive almost an hour one way to see him instead of using the vet around the corner.  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 07:37:59 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10775 on: January 12, 2021, 02:25:59 am »
I got home late. Again.

But in the spirit of doing something each day, after I had taken off my wet work shoes (plumbing has it's hazards  :peepwall:  :imaposer: ) and put my fake camo crocs on  :eek7: :peepwall:

I went out to check in the garden shed. I have had an "intruder" that was biting holes in the bags of sunflower seeds and bird seed... and knocking the flower pots off the shelf, and stuff. So i put out a trap yesterday evening.

Yup. The trap had sprung and I had a dead rat in it. Because my phone was inside the house, and because Maggie was frantically trying to get hold of the corpse, I didn't get a pic. Sorry. I threw the dead rat across the back fence into the drainage ditch, and reset the trap. They say where there is one rat there are more...

Then I went inside and marked out the spots where the shelf supports will be mounted to the wall.

That was enough, it was fully dark  it was getting pretty chilly again, and I was done. Moeg. Moertoe actually  :deal:  More is nog n dag.  :ricky:

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #10776 on: January 12, 2021, 11:06:41 am »
Wow, I cant believe I have not seen this thread before now. Lets just say it has been an unproductive couple of days reading the entire thread. I can relate to many things as I had many similar experiences when we moved to the UK. Please keep this blog going it really has been extremely entertaining and enlightening.

I have to know....what is the situation with the bike...any progress? I also recall reading that someone had offered you a second bike did this ever happen?
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10777 on: January 12, 2021, 03:36:24 pm »
Wow, I cant believe I have not seen this thread before now. Lets just say it has been an unproductive couple of days reading the entire thread. I can relate to many things as I had many similar experiences when we moved to the UK. Please keep this blog going it really has been extremely entertaining and enlightening.

I have to know....what is the situation with the bike...any progress? I also recall reading that someone had offered you a second bike did this ever happen?

Welcome to the tribe!  ;D

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10778 on: January 12, 2021, 03:42:55 pm »
Finished last night - Book 2 of 2021

A quick, easy read where I didn't have to think too hard. Reminded me of Amy Tan's novels (most of which I have read).

Set in the 1960s, Judy Fong Batesís much-talked-about debut novel is the story of a young girl, the daughter of a small Ontario townís solitary Chinese family, whose life is changed over the course of one summer when she learns the burden of secrets. Through Su-Jenís eyes, the hard life behind the scenes at the Dragon Cafť unfolds. As Su-Jenís father works continually for a better future, her mother, a beautiful but embittered woman, settles uneasily into their new life. Su-Jen feels the weight of her motherís unhappiness as Su-Jenís life takes her outside the restaurant and far from the customs of the traditional past. When Su-Jenís half-brother arrives, smouldering under the responsibilities he must bear as the dutiful Chinese son, he forms an alliance with Su-Jenís mother, one that will have devastating consequences. Written in spare, intimate prose, Midnight at the Dragon Cafť is a vivid portrait of a childhood divided by two cultures and touched by unfulfilled longings and unspoken secrets.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10779 on: January 13, 2021, 10:51:37 pm »
Because at Casa Zog we rearrange the furniture to please the dog  ;D

Note the port-a-potty across the street... unfortunately they flattened the wooded area and are building a new house there. It's such a shame. It was so nice to sit in my study and work and just see trees across the street. That's also where most of the squirrels live that feed in our garden, so they have to look for a new habitat. And we have to put up with a construction site there for the foreseeable future.

What's worse, they already marked out the vacant lot on one side of us (remember, we have empty lots on both sides, giving us a "buffer zone" from any neighbors). No more. It's only a matter of time. The surveyors were there already the other day. :dousing:

But Maggie is keeping an eye on the construction across the street. Interspersed with outraged barking at anything and everything. She loves to sit there on her chair and watch the world go by.  ;D

« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 10:53:57 pm by Mrs. Zog »