Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1305732 times)

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #10800 on: January 16, 2021, 01:56:40 am »
I think they sensed my anger.

They just pushed the wreck into their driveway.

The Force is with me  :imaposer:

Great !  Now they can construct a nice wackshop and your other objections will be eliminated...?  ;)
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10801 on: January 16, 2021, 02:46:09 am »
One thing at a time.  ;)

It will actually be to our advantage when they build a house on that lot. They're already getting ready to build on our other side, so I'm sure that one is next. Having a house there will be a nice buffer between us and the F*cktards.

Of course, let's hope that there are not worse F*cktards moving into the new houses.

We can hope. We can hope.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #10802 on: January 16, 2021, 04:18:41 am »
This has been a rough week, never home before dark.

But on the bright side I'm getting some overtime pay when I get my paycheck next week Friday  :biggrin:

But that means that I didn't get anything more done on the pantry shelving. Tomorrow morning early I'll tackle them again, pics will be taken  :deal:  :thumleft:

And I get complimented today, TWICE, by my boss on the very difficult job that I did yesterday. It was tight, like stuffing a size 13 foot into a size 3 shoe  :eek7:

It was a pool pump, a very BIG one, 5HP motor, can push massive amounts of water for a fountain. I'll try get some pics from my work ipad.  :sip:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10803 on: January 16, 2021, 04:43:49 am »
OK, got the pics.

The job was for the County Parks Department at one of their parks. They have a "Reflection Pond" where people can go and reflect on things, and the pool has two large "infinity walls" that the water cascades over. The pump for this portion of the pool had died, and a similar replacement was no longer available. So we needed to come up with an alternative for them.

The new leaf basket and pump is on the right.

The leaf basket and the pump are two separate units, unlike the old pump. You can compare to the other pump that actually filters the pool water on the left.

What made this a challenge was that everything not only had to fit onto the concrete pad, but also there is a fiberglass "clamshell" cover that has to cover everything.

It took a whole lot of working shit out to figure how I was going to do this, eventually I had to raise the entire system up by 4 inches on concrete blocks so that the butterfly valve on the 4 inch (100mm) inlet pipe could fit.

Then the pump and motor had to be turned 90 degrees and slotted in behind the other pump and filter.

When I was done I pulled the clamshell cover back over it all, and at the back I had just 1 inch (25mm) between the side of the new pump and motor and the clamshell, and in the front I had just 3/4 inch (19mm) for the butterfly valve to clear, AFTER I had turned it 45 degrees to the right.

Maybe a MOD can rotate this one 90 degrees right for me? Please  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

And finally, the clamshell has a lid. This also JUST closed over the top of the pipes that I had to make higher so that there would be enough room to get the lid off the top of the leaf basket and get the basket out for cleaning too...

This job took me 6 hours to do. Start to finish, including the electrical hookup.

I have a feeling that my boss didn't think it was possible to get it all in  :sip:

That's what she said...  :peepwall:  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: boland

Offline Oubones

« Reply #10804 on: January 16, 2021, 08:06:14 am »
Nice thinking there!
Now finish the missus job as there is nobody to control her if she gets upset with you and we are scared of her :pot: :imaposer: :peepwall:
Dakar 650
SR 500

The following users thanked this post: Mr Zog

Offline BOZO

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #10805 on: January 16, 2021, 03:58:06 pm »
That’s impressive well done chap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."— Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline windswept

« Reply #10806 on: January 16, 2021, 06:35:48 pm »
Mr Zog, do you have earth leakage protection on the 110/220 in the house? 

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10807 on: January 17, 2021, 03:04:31 am »
Mr Zog, do you have earth leakage protection on the 110/220 in the house?

Yes and no...

"Normal" circuits don't have earth leakage. Normally.

But any outlet (plug) that is in the vicinity of water (like in bathrooms, or on a porch, or in the garage (you could use water in the garage - spraying off a car maybe?)) is supplied by a GFCI. Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter.

https://www.dfliq.net/blog/what-is-gfci-outlet/

Basically just an earth leakage outlet  :deal:  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: windswept

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10808 on: January 17, 2021, 03:19:14 am »
Progress update  :sip:

This morning I made an early start, after my second coffee  :spitcoffee:

I cut the strips of plywood that support the shelves to the correct length and screwed them to the walls. Each wall had to have it's strip cut separately as the walls are horribly out-of-square.

In the one corner I had to make allowance for the water pipe (water from the Reverse Osmosis water filter to the fridge) to be secured and placed out of the way.

Then I gave all of the strips a coat of paint. This was just to help to start sealing the wood, these shelves are for the pantry and it is plausible that some or other liquid may spill there some day, and I'd like the shelves to outlast such events  :biggrin:

I also removed the baseboards at the bottom of the walls as I will be completing the wood-vinyl flooring from the passage into the pantry as well.

Of course my "inspector" came around to make sure that my work was up to scratch...

Then I got busy with the shelves. As mentioned, ad nauseum, the walls are not square, so each and every shelf had to be measured, marked, cut, test fit, adjustments made, and test fitted again. All 12 pieces. This took a hellofa long time, but eventually they were all as close as I was going to get them. So I took them all out, drilled the holes where the screws would go to finally hold them in place, and then gave them all a coat of paint.

Finally, when the paint was dry I installed the top 3 shelves. I will leave the bottom shelf out until I have finished the flooring to give myself more room to work.

Tomorrow morning I'll give the top 3 shelves their second coat of paint, then when that dries Mrs Zog can put all the foodstuff that is currently in the study back on the shelves  :thumleft:

Hopefully I'll get the flooring done tomorrow as well. I really want to get this project done so I can move on to the boat again..  :peepwall:

The following users thanked this post: Bikerboer1973

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #10809 on: January 17, 2021, 11:21:01 pm »
I notice that handymen in US use a lot of plywood cut into strips and bits.
Is that out of preference or is ply just a generally inexpensive timber source compared to ordinary timber? (like our SA Pine)
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10810 on: January 18, 2021, 01:43:29 am »
I notice that handymen in US use a lot of plywood cut into strips and bits.
Is that out of preference or is ply just a generally inexpensive timber source compared to ordinary timber? (like our SA Pine)

Ply is generally cheap and easy. If you cut it into thin strips it doesn't split as easily as solid pine, and it keeps its line and flat better too. No warping and twisting.  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10811 on: January 18, 2021, 01:53:22 am »
The pantry closet is done!  :ricky:

Today I painted, installed the flooring, refitted the kickboards after cleaning them up, caulked it all in, painted it again.

I also went to Home Depot and bought some electrical wire, junction boxes, plug outlets, and covers. Back home I climbed up into the attic and ran the wires from the light fitting in the passage to the pantry cupboard as well as the "medicine cupboard" on the opposite side of the passage. I fitted a junction box in each closet, with a plug outlet and a cover. Then connected the feed wire to the light outlet in the passage. Then I installed a 2 foot long LED light above the inside of the pantry door and plugged it in. So now when we switch on the passage light the light in the pantry (and the medicine cabinet when I get a suitable light for that) will come on. And as an added bonus, forgetting to turn off the light in the pantry will mean that the passage light is still on, so little chance of that  :biggrin:

Here are the completed pics. Well ALMOST... I still need to cut a piece of hardboard to size so I can cover the access hatch to the plumbing. But this will be a simple jobbie for another day  :deal:  :imaposer:

I like it, I tried really hard to make my tolerances no more than 1mm, and I succeeded.

But best of all, Mrs Zog likes it  :thumleft:

Happy wife, happy life  :ricky:

Offline grizz

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #10812 on: January 18, 2021, 01:57:58 am »
Now that looks bliksems mooi Gary.

Well done.

Bedtime here, just updated my Birthday posts.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline BOZO

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #10813 on: January 18, 2021, 03:32:53 am »
Yoh, Yoh, Yoh,  that looks good.
I'm still tying to figure out how to get those corners neat, I always end up with a gap.
#HideThisPostFromTheWife.
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."— Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline BigEd

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #10814 on: January 18, 2021, 07:23:29 am »
#HideThisPostFromTheWife.

+1

This is how an oke gets work... :patch:
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 martelpyp (gave the stupid thing away)

Offline Splash

« Reply #10815 on: January 18, 2021, 07:42:25 am »
Looks very neat. Good job.
Have bike, will ride.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #10816 on: January 18, 2021, 02:47:24 pm »
That looks absolutely FANTASTIC - well done Sir  :thumleft:
Ja/Nee

Offline Stichhom

« Reply #10817 on: January 18, 2021, 04:30:54 pm »
@Mr Zogg - your cupboard and flooring looks great. Well done Sir. Any news on your boat/s?

Have you and Mrs. Zogg recovered fully from Covid-19?
Keep a cool head - life is precious!

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10818 on: January 18, 2021, 06:31:41 pm »
Camouflage level: Expert

Happy Monday everyone!

The following users thanked this post: BigEd

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10819 on: January 19, 2021, 02:59:23 am »
@Mr Zogg - your cupboard and flooring looks great. Well done Sir. Any news on your boat/s?

Have you and Mrs. Zogg recovered fully from Covid-19?

Unfortunately the boat took a back seat with the Covid and the other projects, but I REALLY want to get moving on it now. I am on standby this weekend, so not sure how much I'll be able to get done, but I have informed SWAMBO "no more projects until the boat is done"...  :peepwall: :imaposer:

We are both over the Covid now, sort of. I am still lacking in energy every day, I get out of breath very quickly, and Mrs Zog still has a lingering cough.
But apart from that we seem to be doing well. Thank you for asking  :thumleft: