Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1328197 times)

Offline TeeJay

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #10900 on: February 04, 2021, 05:20:45 pm »
Whaaaaat - are they building with bricks - shock/horror - I can't believe  :imaposer:
Ja/Nee

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10901 on: February 04, 2021, 05:49:17 pm »
They have to, now. After hurricane Andrew in 1992, which was devastating and literally flattened parts of south Florida, they revised the building code. Stronger everything.

Unfortunately for us, our humble shack was built in 1984 with a wood frame. But it survived Andrew, so I guess we'll be ok.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #10902 on: February 04, 2021, 06:02:19 pm »
Whaaaaat - are they building with bricks - shock/horror - I can't believe  :imaposer:

Between Hanover Kansas and Fairbury Nebraska, a road I often travel there is a town by name Endecott and they are making clay bricks. Many houses in and around Fairbury, Hanover and even Marysville are constructed that way and I would say upto 80% if not more of all houses and buildings have underground cellar that acts as storm shelters and that is also either clay or cement bricks or even cast sement and rebar.
I personally prefer the wooden frame construction, they are very well insulated.

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #10903 on: February 04, 2021, 06:38:49 pm »
Bricks also give insulation with the added thermal inertia as well.
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10904 on: February 04, 2021, 06:39:14 pm »
have underground cellar that acts as storm shelters

When we first moved here, we wondered why houses in Florida don't have cellars/basement. It would be a perfect solution for a hurricane shelter.

We learned that Florida has a huge aquifer system. The groundwater is very close to the surface, and because of the high water table and proximity to the ocean, it is impossible to dig a basement. You would encounter flooding if you dig more than 10 feet down. We also have sandy soil and karst/limestone, and a big problem with sinkholes.  :eek7:

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #10905 on: February 04, 2021, 07:05:13 pm »
have underground cellar that acts as storm shelters

When we first moved here, we wondered why houses in Florida don't have cellars/basement. It would be a perfect solution for a hurricane shelter.

We learned that Florida has a huge aquifer system. The groundwater is very close to the surface, and because of the high water table and proximity to the ocean, it is impossible to dig a basement. You would encounter flooding if you dig more than 10 feet down. We also have sandy soil and karst/limestone, and a big problem with sinkholes.  :eek7:
It can be done, but that would make the average house too expensive for the average person.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10906 on: February 04, 2021, 07:23:32 pm »
Some houses more to the west do have basements, in the middle of the states, where the water table is a little lower and there some (very small) natural elevations. I wouldn't go so far as to call them "hills."

I just did a lunchtime garden walk. Everything in the back garden has severe frost damage: the big Areca palms, all of the hibiscus bushes, and the Clusia, everything shriveled up and brown. I don't know if they will survive. We're supposed to have another 10 days of this "polar vortex." We're in a subtropical zone, my garden is just not geared for this. Normally we have a night or two of "not quite frost," nothing like this. This is crazy. Mr. Zog had to scrape ice (not frost!) off his windshield yesterday morning.

It may be too much for the plants.  :-\ They're too big to put anything over them, and obviously I can't bring them inside. This sucks.

The ones in the front garden seem to be ok, they're not as exposed I guess.

P.S. We are also under a "falling iguana" warning. Yes. No joke.

A "falling iguana" alert has been issued, alerting residents to be on the lookout for lizards falling out of trees. When the temperature plummets, the cold-blooded iguanas' bodies go into a state of dormancy, and if they happen to be in a tree when that occurs, they sometimes crash to the ground.

They do defrost, and if they feel threatened when they thaw, they can get quite aggressive.  :eek7:

« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 07:26:01 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Offline frankmac

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #10907 on: February 04, 2021, 08:03:13 pm »

They do defrost, and if they feel threatened when they thaw, they can get quite aggressive.  :eek7:

:laughing4: :laughing4: I'm imagining a leguaan (Nile monitor lizard) frozen.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #10908 on: February 04, 2021, 08:13:47 pm »
I can't speak for other states but in Northeast Kansas and Southern Nebraska the water table is also very shallow.
Therefore when they build new sement grain tubes (Silos) they can't dig a conventional foundation but drill on a big one million tube over 300 x 80 feet holes, drop rebar and pump it full of sement.
In the 'boot pits ' we have permanent automated pumps that will pump put all the underground water that seeps through.
You can literally dig a watering pit by hand, but if you need a proper borehole you need to go a tad deeper but nothingike we have in Africa.
I can recall some aqua fur in Turkana well over 80 meter (240 feet) deep.
In Florida while visiting the Zog's I realized it's much more challenging since the soil is mostly sandy and caves in.
Up in KS and NE we have very fertile solid black soil.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10909 on: February 04, 2021, 08:30:35 pm »
This illustration is helpful.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10910 on: February 05, 2021, 09:16:15 pm »
Huh. File this under "ok, cool, I'll take it."

We have a combined TV/internet service bundle, and this month the bill was $20 less than usual. I couldn't figure out why, so today I went through the (online) bill line by line, just for my peace of mind.

It's a "sports channel credit." Basically, because of COVID, there is very little coverage of sports, and some of those channels have empty air time now, or adverts, or whatever, just not sports coverage, so they're giving everyone a $20 sports program credit. We don't watch sports channels anyway, so... cool, I'll take it! Everything helps!

Also, this is the first Friday of the month, so it's Food Truck Friday in the shopping center parking lot! It's a new thing, they did it for the first time last month, and we got some awesome food. We'll go tonight. I won't have to cook!  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 09:17:18 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10911 on: February 05, 2021, 11:10:00 pm »
The frost damage in the garden. I'm gutted. All of these plants grow here naturally, we chose carefully to make sure they thrive. It's the weather that's not normal.

1. Mexican creeper and a hibiscus

2. Clusia

3. Hibiscus, coconut palms, and Areca palms

We'll just have to see what survives. I suppose I could always cut everything right down to ground level and let them start over, radically, to give them a chance.

:'(

Online BOZO

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #10912 on: February 05, 2021, 11:28:21 pm »
That’s hectic, makes me wonder what our winter will be like this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."— Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Online BOZO

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #10913 on: February 05, 2021, 11:29:02 pm »
Came across this and had to share.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."— Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #10914 on: February 06, 2021, 02:50:05 pm »
I can just imagine how you feel... frost damage in Florida!

If that isn't proof of climate change, I don't know what else one needs.

Edit: I stand corrected. I've only been there when it is worse than Durban at its worst!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 06:57:17 am by Fudmucker »
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #10915 on: February 07, 2021, 02:53:54 am »
I can just imagine how you feel... frost damage in Florida!

If that isn't proof of climate change, I don't know what else one needs.

Frost has been happening in Florida for as long as Florida has been "colonised". Every few years there is a sudden frost and the Citrus farms lose a lot of their crop. It happens when the polar vortex that usually sits across the central USA in winter drops down a little more for whatever reason.

Already today we had temps high enough that Mrs Zog fired up the AC again  :lol8:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10916 on: February 07, 2021, 02:57:38 am »
After so many of you have asked me to record my "doings" on video, I have finally succumbed and I purchased a very cheap rip off of a GoPro from Walmart today.

I have already taken a few minutes of footage, but now I need to edit it before I can post it to YouTube. I have started a thread in Jou Ma asking about editing software that is not only free, but also very easy to use. And hopefully also a couple of youtube videos that can show me how to use it...

Replies either here or on the other thread in Jou Ma would be most welcome  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: Skeltonsc

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10917 on: February 08, 2021, 05:53:51 am »
I had a busy weekend.

I took a lot of video, but the first video app that I downloaded wasn't compatible with my little laptop, I need a better graphics card, and more memory or something. It wouldn't even open. So now I;m trying the windows video editor, but it's sooooo sloooow  :dousing:

As soon as I figure it all out I'll post a vid.

Or, if it doesn't work out I'll try get some stills from the video.

Have a great week.  :thumleft:

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #10918 on: February 08, 2021, 08:24:20 am »
The frost damage in the garden. I'm gutted. All of these plants grow here naturally, we chose carefully to make sure they thrive. It's the weather that's not normal.

1. Mexican creeper and a hibiscus

2. Clusia

3. Hibiscus, coconut palms, and Areca palms

We'll just have to see what survives. I suppose I could always cut everything right down to ground level and let them start over, radically, to give them a chance.

:'(

Ouch, but if it makes you feel any better, last winter we got hit badly with Frost as well, it nailed just about every plant in my garden and many things I thought wouldnt recover, but summer came and we have had a shit ton of rain, my garden looks better than ever before, they bounce back really well.

Holding thumbs for you guys
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline CraigRK

• Puppy
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #10919 on: February 08, 2021, 05:50:23 pm »
Mr Zog,

On the video print, this might be more hinderance than help as I know your equipment is different, but...

I film most of my video on my iPhone and I use the Apple iMovie app to edit them.  I have also had great success with Splice (which was provided by Go Pro).

Essentially what I am saying is that there might be other options that don't use as much power and you might be able to do it on a mobile device (but I assume you phone is basically a phone).

Go Pro does another app named Quik.  This is available on Windows for Free from what I can make out on Google.  (PS: I have never owned a genuine GoPro, so don't assume that the software can only be used by GoPro owners).  I haven't actually tried Quik, so I don't know if it also works for non Go Pro footage.

All the best,
Craig
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 05:51:42 pm by CraigRK »