Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1257161 times)

Mossie05 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2016, 10:50:22 pm »
Nice thread.

Having visited the States about 5 time for business - most of the times to Seattle - so a lot of connecting flights stirred into the mix.  I can associate with many of your "WTF moments".

A few things I have picked up by now:

If you gladwrap your bag at ORT, the US Custom okes always pick your bag when they do random bag searches.  People actually look at you funny when you pick up the only wrapped bag between thousands of other baggage from the arrivals conveyor.  I wrapped it the first time and never afterwards.  Nothing ever got stolen.

Car rental - always book the cheapest/smallest car.  They never have those small cheapies available and you will almost without exception get a bigger/better car.  They sometimes try to sell you an upgrade at the rental reception.  Just say no - they will give you an upgrade in any case.  Once at Dulles, the reception just told me to pick any car in the lot!  All of the cars in the lot had their keys in the ignition and I could just hop into anyone and drive off!!

And yes, driving on the "wrong" side is something else.  Using a GPS is a must - concentrating so much on the traffic, you absolutely need that auntie to tell you where to turn - and then to figure out for the first time how far before the turn when she says "turning right in 0.4 miles" you have to do your sums pretty quick.  Having survived highways, interstates, pretty heavy traffic, etc, I started thinking I got the hang of this  - until I got my first traffic circle in the town I was visiting...eish.

One of my biggest WTFs was the lack of fences.  You can literally get to anybody's front door without anybody stopping you.

Oh yea... its difficult enough staying on the wrong side of the road, let alone navigating. We brought our old Garmin Nuvi 205 with us, hoping we could just upload fresh local maps. Well... it CAN be done, but the map software was $80!!!  :eek7:

A BRAND NEW garmin was $108. So we got the new one...  and the lady inside it is Sally. She keeps telling me where to go. My wife suspects I have a thing for Sally  :peepwall:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Franky3

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
Re:
« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2016, 02:29:14 am »
My I be so bold as to ask for some pictures of your new home?

Sent from my SM-T531 using Tapatalk

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
Re:
« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2016, 05:38:39 am »

Sure. But not now. Its almost midnight and I need to get some snooze... big day and long drive (on the wrong side of the road) tomorrow.  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline oldmannorman

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • suzuki TS250 ER
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2016, 06:12:36 am »
 :sip:

Offline evansv

« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2016, 07:50:45 am »
Great read, thanks Mr Zog for sharing :thumleft:
DT 125, GSX 750 ES, XJ 900, KX 125, YZ 250, WR 200, RMX 250 (280 kit), FZ-6, 2006, DT 125 LC (rear ended by Fortuner - written off), DT200R (current), KTM 625 SXC (current)

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2016, 08:33:50 am »
 :peepwall:

Online fixit

« Reply #146 on: March 30, 2016, 08:55:05 am »
Cool thread :thumleft:. I started reading last night. Ended up reading the whole series in one go. Thanks Zogs.
Happiness is not getting what you want, but appreciating  what you already have.

Offline Knucklhead

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles/philistine
Re:
« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2016, 10:12:26 am »
Bliksem Zog - respect to you for taking the dogs along.

give that man zog a beer , agreed !!

Offline caconcepts

• Canvas & Aluminium Concepts
« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2016, 10:18:27 am »
Mr.Zog,

Great read. I was fortunate to be in Florida a few years ago. Wait for summer boet. The term sweaty jockstrap occurs at around 07:00 AM and continues for about 23h45 min at which point it reoccurs.... Enjoy and post some pics....one of the finest establishment I did get to visit was the Hooters on Miami main beach. Lovely atmosphere and delicisios food........ :3some: :3some: :snorting:
DT50, XL500, F650GS Dakar, Honda NC700, F650CS, R1200GS, R1200GSA, K1200LT, G450X, G650XChallenge, WR450F, GS 1200 Rallye

Offline Franky3

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
Re: Re:
« Reply #149 on: March 30, 2016, 11:00:20 am »

Sure. But not now. Its almost midnight and I need to get some snooze... big day and long drive (on the wrong side of the road) tomorrow.  :ricky:
When ever you feel like it.

Sent from my SM-J110F using Tapatalk

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2016, 11:08:47 am »
one of the finest establishment I did get to visit was the Hooters

It sounds as if one do not eat there but rather feast with one's eyes ;)
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Online JohnB

« Reply #151 on: March 30, 2016, 11:25:49 am »
Lekker. Stekte vir jou daai kant  :thumleft:
But he said to me, ďMy grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.Ē Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christís power may rest on me.

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #152 on: March 30, 2016, 01:10:24 pm »
Love this thread! Thanks for your info, Zog!

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2016, 12:38:02 am »
We got the dogglies!!!  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

Drove the 60 or so miles to Orlando Airport to collect them. We had to first make a turn at the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) office at the airport to get their clearance. This was a bit of a mission, but the Officer was professional and efficient. He was also sporting a "high-and-tight" haircut, and lots of shiny badges on his uniform. Officers of the law take a lot of pride in their appearance here. Thats a good thing in my opinion.

I must just also mention, hijacking my own post here, that yesterday I saw a "pull-over". A cop had pulled a motorist over and was talking to him. It was a female officer. Jissis. I almost stopped and confessed. I felt like telling her it was me, and she must arrest me, and body-search me. She was SMOKING hot!!! Eish, I think I have a reason to speed  :peepwall:

Anyways, We eventually got sorted at the CBP office, then we went over to the Delta Airlines Cargo office. There we had to pay $50 for the customs clearance. Then a wait of about 30 minutes before the dude came with the dogglies in their crates on a trolley.

They were hellofa happy to see us, but hardly a sound out of them. They were both "le petit cheval" - a little hoarse - from barking all the way, I'm sure. We let them out of their crates, put their leashes on, and took them across from the parking lot to a piece of grass where they both made the longest wee's evva! Then a sip of water each from the water bottle, and into the car for the trip home.

At home they both got some more water, then frantic exploring of the new garden, meeting the two little chihuahuaŠ from next door, and now they are both passed out cold in the lounge.  ;D   Let sleeping dogs lie, I say.  :biggrin:

Life is good.  :thumleft:

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2016, 01:02:01 am »
Fantastic Gary. hah @ jet lagged pups
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Online KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2016, 07:49:57 am »
Mr.Zog,

Great read. I was fortunate to be in Florida a few years ago. Wait for summer boet. The term sweaty jockstrap occurs at around 07:00 AM and continues for about 23h45 min at which point it reoccurs.... Enjoy and post some pics....one of the finest establishment I did get to visit was the Hooters on Miami main beach. Lovely atmosphere and delicisios food........ :3some: :3some: :snorting:

You mean this hooters?  Yes indeed a nice place  ;) :biggrin: :biggrin:

Btw, mrZog - best of luck on your new adventure :thumleft:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 12:59:29 pm by KiLRoy »

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2016, 07:56:21 am »
Mr.Zog,

You mean this hooters?  Yes indeed a nice place  ;) :biggrin: :biggrin:

Wont her tits fall out if she is upside down? :biggrin:
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2016, 08:09:57 am »
You're a legend for taking your dogs with !!   The big one looks a bit worried about speaking American.  :peepwall:

Online KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2016, 08:10:22 am »
Mr.Zog,

You mean this hooters?  Yes indeed a nice place  ;) :biggrin: :biggrin:

Wont her tits fall out if she is upside down? :biggrin:

You mean her hooters?  ;D

Online KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #159 on: March 31, 2016, 08:17:08 am »
Did the Mustang thing from Miami to Key West.  Small block, think 3.8 V6 one however.  As you can see, luggage was an issue :biggrin: