Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 693322 times)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
    • View Profile
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #3580 on: May 08, 2017, 03:04:14 am »
Today I went fishing.

Deep sea fishing!

A guy I met here (another South African) has a boat, and he invited me along for the day. I LOVE deep sea fishing  :drif:

So, up at 4am, made coffee and a sandwich, put a few cooldrinks and a couple of beers into a cooler, kissed the dogs goodbye and scratched Mrs Zog behind her ear  ::)

Met Pieter at 04h50 at his house, and we headed off to the River. Filled up the boat with fuel and bought 2 bags of ice on the way.

We launched from the slipway at Sebastian, and then took the channel in the Indian River to the mouth at the Sebastian Inlet.

Headed east, and at one stage we were more than 30 Miles east of land. Boat rules here are very slack. Only need one engine, and no "Skippers License" needed. We trawled using Rapala's, and also BallyHoo with skirts for Mahi Mahi (Dorado).

We got two nice Kingfish (King Mackerel) and one good Mahi Mahi. Then we stopped for a bit and drifted over a reef for a bit catching "bottoms". I got a nice red snapper, but they are closed season at the moment so it went back down. Pieter got a smallish bluefish
(shad) that was legal though.

We finally headed back out at about 4pm, and git back to Pieter's house around 4:40. Then cleaned and filleted the fish, and cleaned the boat and tackle. I finally got home at about 6pm. A very long day.

But Mrs Zog cooked us a wonderful supper of Kingfish and rice... not much beats fresh seafood.  :drif: :thumleft:

I did get a pic of me holding a fish, but when I checked my phone when I got home it was gone  :xxbah:   sorry.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 03:05:38 am by Mr Zog »
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: May 08, 2017, 04:00:42 am »

Today I went fishing.

Deep sea fishing!

A guy I met here (another South African) has a boat, and he invited me along for the day. I LOVE deep sea fishing  :drif:

So, up at 4am, made coffee and a sandwich, put a few cooldrinks and a couple of beers into a cooler, kissed the dogs goodbye and scratched Mrs Zog behind her ear  ::)

:imaposer:  Good one, Zog, haven't heard that one before  :imaposer:

Oh, and great job on the trailer. :thumleft:

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: May 08, 2017, 05:28:22 am »
Glad you had a relaxing day for a change, fishing is a good way of getting away from all the stress.
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: May 08, 2017, 09:45:32 am »
I do not fish, as I never caught anything.

But it is great therapy.

Possibly some of what you need as well Gary.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline silvrav

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: May 08, 2017, 11:13:22 am »

We finally headed back out at about 4pm, and git back to Pieter's house around 4:40. Then cleaned and filleted the fish, and cleaned the boat and tackle. I finally got home at about 6pm. A very long day.

git...check how that redneckness is creeping in....

Awesome Gary!  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 11:13:47 am by silvrav »

Offline badballie

• Macum Amicum Est
  • www.bikersagainstdrugs.co.za
    • View Profile
« Reply #3585 on: May 08, 2017, 02:32:12 pm »
Brilliant idea BadBallie  :thumleft:

I haven't tested the motor yet, been hellofa busy, but will do it soon. My arse is itching...

I just hope that the 80lb motor isn't too big and heavy for the little kayak.  :sip:

No worries there - basically the lbs of thrust just indicates the size of vessel it can propel, but speedwise etc stays the same - so as I understand just more torque  :thumleft:
Cash, Gas or Ass............ no-one rides for free :-)

I did it because I can, I can because I want to and I want to because you said that I couldn't !!!!!!!

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: May 09, 2017, 03:27:51 am »

I haven't tested the motor yet, been hellofa busy, but will do it soon. My arse is itching...

I just hope that the 80lb motor isn't too big and heavy for the little kayak.  :sip:

No worries there - basically the lbs of thrust just indicates the size of vessel it can propel, but speedwise etc stays the same - so as I understand just more torque  :thumleft:

I finally got around to testing the trolling motor.

Dead.

I put 12V DC onto the power cables, but nothing. Nada.   :xxbah:

So I thought, "what the hell", and pulled out the PC board controller. I located the two cables that ran down to the motor, cut them off, and put the power directly to the motor. It spun the prop!!!

So, the electronic controller PC board is fried. Toughies. But the motor runs with direct power, both forward and reverse.

So now I need to figure out a plan; get a switch that can select either forward or reverse (reverses polarity), and a method to mount it so I can control it from the seat of the kayak...   8) :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline silvrav

• View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: May 09, 2017, 07:28:13 am »

I finally got around to testing the trolling motor.

Dead.

I put 12V DC onto the power cables, but nothing. Nada.   :xxbah:

So I thought, "what the hell", and pulled out the PC board controller. I located the two cables that ran down to the motor, cut them off, and put the power directly to the motor. It spun the prop!!!

So, the electronic controller PC board is fried. Toughies. But the motor runs with direct power, both forward and reverse.

So now I need to figure out a plan; get a switch that can select either forward or reverse (reverses polarity), and a method to mount it so I can control it from the seat of the kayak...   8) :ricky:

What you need to look for is a dual polarity Variable resistor basically (got another name but I must just check) as you would also want to control the speed of the prop  :thumleft:

Offline bud500

« Reply #3588 on: May 09, 2017, 09:55:59 am »

What you need to look for is a dual polarity Variable resistor basically (got another name but I must just check) as you would also want to control the speed of the prop  :thumleft:

Isn't that the knob to the right of the screen on the GS??  :deal:
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline Tiger8

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: May 09, 2017, 12:11:50 pm »
Zog, with your many talents and projects, you would do well to start a DIY YouTube channel of your own. You and Mrs Zog would have a following in no time. Creative type people do well on YT and even make some sponsorship money - 2nd income stream maybe. Quite a few do the Vlog as a permanent income source and you are a lot more interesting than 99% of these folks.  :thumleft:

PS: Well done so far, I have not read for 3weeks and just caught up, love reading about and seeing how you are slowly conquering the "Wild West"  ;)
Don't Sweat the Petty Stuff & Don't Pet the Sweaty Stuff!
Triumph Sprint 1050ST
Yamaha WR450F

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #3590 on: May 09, 2017, 03:13:30 pm »
:imaposer: FTFY - that lady is fearless  :thumleft:

Funny you should say that, Ri - check out my tattoo. I got it when I married Mr. Zog  :imaposer:

Anyway, here is a GoFundMe update: We have stalled at $975. PLEASE, someone put us over that hump!
Help reunite Mr. Zog and Little Zog for Christmas in 2018! Another GoFundMe campaign is active at https://www.gofundme.com/christmas-in-america-with-dad. You can read all about it there. Every little bit of help is greatly appreciated!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3591 on: May 10, 2017, 01:32:49 am »
Zog, with your many talents and projects, you would do well to start a DIY YouTube channel of your own. You and Mrs Zog would have a following in no time. Creative type people do well on YT and even make some sponsorship money - 2nd income stream maybe. Quite a few do the Vlog as a permanent income source and you are a lot more interesting than 99% of these folks.  :thumleft:

PS: Well done so far, I have not read for 3weeks and just caught up, love reading about and seeing how you are slowly conquering the "Wild West"  ;)

Gary I know you rather well mate - pay attention to the above" (It works and You are not camera shy like me)
Just have a look at the 'crazy photographer - he knows his shit but he is sharing it and he is making money)
I do not even have a lot of bandwidth but British -people shared some of his stuff with me and I like it!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3592 on: May 10, 2017, 01:38:27 am »
:imaposer: FTFY - that lady is fearless  :thumleft:

Funny you should say that, Ri - check out my tattoo. I got it when I married Mr. Zog  :imaposer:

Anyway, here is a GoFundMe update: We have stalled at $975. PLEASE, someone put us over that hump!

Mrs' Zog you got to keep them guns loaded - keep an eye on the Zog!

I think you should post the 'go fund me' here from time to time as we tent to forget and to back page to get the 'banking details is a pain.
So please don't be shy and re-post the banking details from time to time. I would love to see you all together as a family by year rend!

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #3593 on: May 10, 2017, 02:21:45 am »
Hey Tom, I put the link to the page into my signature. There are no banking details really, you just go to the page via the link and click the Donate button, and then you can enter any amount and it'll take you to the payment options...
Help reunite Mr. Zog and Little Zog for Christmas in 2018! Another GoFundMe campaign is active at https://www.gofundme.com/christmas-in-america-with-dad. You can read all about it there. Every little bit of help is greatly appreciated!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3594 on: May 10, 2017, 02:43:50 am »
Hey Tom, I put the link to the page into my signature. There are no banking details really, you just go to the page via the link and click the Donate button, and then you can enter any amount and it'll take you to the payment options...

Thank you Mrs Zog, I am working for the gov currently (paying the 15th)  but I will ask my daughter to figure as she is my 'minister of finance' but if she does not come right I'll ask her to pm you to figure the 'how to'

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #3595 on: May 10, 2017, 02:50:47 am »
Tom, I sent you a PM.  :thumleft:

Offline steveindar

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Eish!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: May 10, 2017, 01:00:51 pm »
Need a clickable link..

Sent from my techno 6 Chinese upgrade

#Nipplecaps must fall!!!
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ???

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #3597 on: May 10, 2017, 02:15:28 pm »
Here you go: https://www.gofundme.com/christmas-at-disney-with-dad

I thought the one in my signature is clickable, but maybe not? Could someone help me out? I'm not so good with computers. I know enough to do my job, apart from that I'm pretty lost.

If this doesn't work, then I don't know... :-\

Online 1190

• Bike: BMW F800GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: May 10, 2017, 02:26:18 pm »
Its working :thumleft: Only $2875 dollars to go  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 02:32:00 pm by 1190 »
Smith & Wesson the original point and click interface

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #3599 on: May 10, 2017, 02:51:37 pm »
Thanks 1190! We're getting there!

The three four people who donated today (you know who you are), if you send me a PM with your address, I have some Mr. Zog stickers here for you.  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 03:53:16 pm by Mrs. Zog »