Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 693790 times)

Mossie05 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • View Profile
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #3720 on: June 02, 2017, 08:32:18 pm »
I powdered the underside of my parkhome with Borax, just need to keep the animals out.
Fleas were gone within a few days.
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #3721 on: June 03, 2017, 02:46:54 am »
So... today I got my new washing machine delivered. Here's how that went down.

Delivery guys arrive in a truck. Two of them, maybe in their mid- to late 50s. Black guys with a Caribbean accent, Jamaica maybe or Haiti. Super, super nice guys. They come in via the garage to take the old washer away (it's part of the service). They stop dead in their tracks when they see THE KAYAK. Everything comes to a halt. Washing machine? What washing machine?

They explain that they are kayaking buddies, they go out to fish on their 'yaks together as much as possible. But, they say, compared to THE KAYAK, theirs are nothing. Like a SmartCar versus a fully rigged 4x4. They inspect. They ooooh. They aaaah. They inspect some more. They whip out their phones to take pictures. Then they take close-up pictures. Then they inspect everything more to make sure they fully understand how THE KAYAK has been outfitted. They were especially fascinated with the sun umbrella and the wheel assembly. Detailed pictures were taken again. Then they said that this weekend, they will start outfitting their kayaks the same as THE KAYAK, using the pictures as a guide.

After about 15 minutes, I said, "guys, can you please just install my washing machine now?"  :lol8:

I told Mr. Zog about it when he got home and he  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
Help reunite Mr. Zog and Little Zog for Christmas in 2018! Another GoFundMe campaign is active at https://www.gofundme.com/christmas-in-america-with-dad. You can read all about it there. Every little bit of help is greatly appreciated!

Offline Watermat

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: June 03, 2017, 06:00:05 am »
Florida has the most WD members in US!  ;)
Good day Mr & Mrs Zog

Offline AndreB

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: June 03, 2017, 08:05:41 am »
Gary.
I have seen this on the Tube

AndreB
If you want to run with the big dogs you must learn to pee high.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: June 03, 2017, 09:05:14 am »
Seriously cool kayak made in Shanghai...!
LIFE'S MUCH COOLER WITHOUT UNDERWEAR,
Life-long supporter of the "Free the Nipple" movement
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I'm far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Watermat

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: June 04, 2017, 06:35:19 am »
I'm only on page 25 now and a true reflection of life in the US.

Respect Mr Zog for grinding your way through all the obstacles so far.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #3726 on: June 04, 2017, 11:53:04 am »
I had a good laugh about the kayak. That is how I know Gary, alwys a plan to make something more practical :)

Mrs Zog I hope you are happy wirh the new washing mashine and can get that flea's away for good.

Good to see the Wd's are growing in number in the States!! That means more interesting stories and ride reports I hope!

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: June 05, 2017, 03:44:41 am »
It's been a few days since I last posted.

I have visited the Wild Dogs every day, but mostly just from my tablet in the early morning when I get some "throne time". Apart from that I have been pretty busy. And the heat and humidity takes it out of me. In the evenings I don;t have much left.

I'd be a lot more proud of the kayak if I had taken it out on the water, but it's still a "dry" kayak so far. The days that I have been off and had the time to take it out the weather hasn't played along. We have been in a severe drought, but we have had a few days of rain now, so thankful for the rain. The garden is also doing better now too.

He are two pics; the first of Mrs Zog's veggie garden and other assorted plants. We haven't bought tomatoes for about three months now...

And something my step-mom taught me many years ago; how to prune roses properly. We have 4 rose bushes, and I don't think we haven't had a rose in the garden for several months now.
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: June 05, 2017, 03:54:39 am »
One of the jobs I did this week was to repair a shower wall that had developed a leak behind the drywall.

The tiles started falling down, all of their own accord. So a piece of plastic shhet was stuck over it until the authority for the repair was obtained from the home-owner. The outside of the wall also showed a long-standing leak...

The I pulled down the drywall, including the tiles until I got to drywall that was still ok. I found the source of the leak and repaired it.

Then I replaced the drywall with a sheet of "Hardy-Backer" board. This is made from cement, weighs a ton, and reminds me of the asbestos sheeting we used to get in SA many years ago. Similar to the roof-sheeting...   We use the Hardy-board" because even if it gets wet it doesn't fall away like dry wall. Then I re-tiled the wall with a very similar tile from the Home Depot. A common 4x4 tile, just a little brighter white than the old ones. Give them about 6 months of usage and nobody will see the difference.

The dude in the red t-shirt is the new guy. It's good working with him, even if he has some really weird personal viewpoints...  ???
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: June 05, 2017, 04:00:08 am »
Stick-Families...

We have all seen them. It's a personal peeve of mine...  I don't like them much.

But then some creative people come along and I have a giggle...

The first pic is of a Star Wars family. Pretty cool...

The second isn't too clear, but it's a family of dancing cannibals in masks... also pretty cool  :imaposer:

I have seen pics of Tyrannosaurus Rex eating a stick family, as well as a couple of other cool stick-family pics, but haven't been able to snap a pic. As I get them I'll post them.  :biggrin:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: June 05, 2017, 04:07:43 am »
The used sofa we bought when we first moved into the house is the main suspect in the flea-infestations we have been having.

We don't have the cash for a new sofa, and keeping the old one was not much of an option either. Yesterday afternoon I went past the Goodwill shop to see if they had any cheap tools. I didn't find any tools that I needed, but I did find a genuine leather sofa for only $40. It was a little scruffy, and I could feel that the frame wasn't quite right under the cushions. But for the price we decided to give it a try.

I had to go home and collect the trailer to fetch it, and then dodge the rain getting it home. At home I gave it a good cleaning and then flipped it over to repair the frame. A couple of bits of wood plank and it is as good as new again.

But I did have help; Maggie my faithful apprentice was around to ensure I did the job right  :biggrin:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: June 05, 2017, 04:17:54 am »
At Walmart I found a whole chicken for just $1,05 per lb.

So I got one, about 5 lbs or so...

Today I put it on the braai, on a rotisserie! Mrs Zog made an awesome basting sauce with some olive oil and garlic and lemon juice and other spices and stuff. After about 2 hours the internal temp was about 170 degrees, and that is supposed to mean that chicken is cooked.

I also found a bottle of wine in the "bargain-bin" at Publix a few weeks ago. One of the renowned South Africa wine-makers, Douglas Green  :imaposer:

While the chicken was going round and round Mrs Zog and I enjoyed the fruits of the vine.  :drif:

Of course I had to tell her all about "Which way Dougras Green"   

the older South Africans will remember... 
   :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: June 05, 2017, 04:20:20 am »
And so the weekend is over...

I did work Saturday, and also this morning. But I did manage to get a few urgent jobs around the house done today.

Back to work again in the morning, but first I'm off to bed now.

Thanks for checking in...  :thumleft:

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: June 05, 2017, 05:04:00 am »
Hehe, you off to bed and me off to work starting the day.
Have a good week and hope you get a chance to wet the kayak.
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Fleet Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: June 05, 2017, 06:43:11 am »
Same here hehe. Thanks for the detailed updates, and love the photos.

You have the best apprentice, she's going to take over from you soon :imaposer:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3005,00 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • View Profile
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #3735 on: June 05, 2017, 07:18:49 am »
Gary, I can actually feel myself relaxing when I read your and Mrs. Zog's posts.

That veggie garden looks awesome!

Keep it up  :thumleft:

Offline silvrav

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: June 05, 2017, 07:59:08 am »
"You know what they say South Africa is not for sissies"

I never had a flea infestation in South Africa either!

Flea's love humidity! when we stayed down in east london, we always bombed the house before going on holiday. Otherwise, on your return, they jumped on you that it looked like you wearing covered shoes !

Offline Dirty Boy

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Son, thats not how I showed you......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: June 05, 2017, 09:51:52 am »
Has that guy on the left (Subaru I think) just jumped the red light ?

Offline bud500

« Reply #3738 on: June 05, 2017, 11:09:55 am »
"You know what they say South Africa is not for sissies"

I never had a flea infestation in South Africa either!

Flea's love humidity! when we stayed down in east london, we always bombed the house before going on holiday. Otherwise, on your return, they jumped on you that it looked like you wearing covered shoes !

Ja bliksem, nou onthou ek ook.
I used to also spray about a meter around the outside of the house, together with using bombs.
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #3739 on: June 05, 2017, 10:48:18 pm »
It was a little scruffy, and I could feel that the frame wasn't quite right under the cushions. But for the price we decided to give it a try.

And I don't care if it's scruffy because we have scruffy dogs who like to climb on scruffy sofas. Lots more scruffs to come.  :thumleft:
Help reunite Mr. Zog and Little Zog for Christmas in 2018! Another GoFundMe campaign is active at https://www.gofundme.com/christmas-in-america-with-dad. You can read all about it there. Every little bit of help is greatly appreciated!