Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 828763 times)

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #6620 on: December 17, 2018, 09:33:23 am »
Prezzie from Florida.

Mr Zog changed his flag for a new one, I needed a worn one as part of my new travel room theme.

This will be perfect as part of my display wall.

Once it and the rest of the stuff comes together, I will show it all.

Just as soon as Grizz sends me his address again I'll have the old flag flying to the UK for it's final resting place. Kom boet... WhatsApp vir my jou posadres.  :biggrin:

Good talking to you again over the weekend.

You certainly made out like a Bandit with all the stuff you and the family  got for Christmas, shop “discounts” and the rest.

But I need to just remind you, in a moment of sober reflection........

You have given more in your life, than you realise and life has a way of balancing the books.

Maybe this is happening right now.

I look at some of the jobs you get done,and wish I was nearby to be able to pop over and help you get it done twice as fast, with some of the kak I collect on my travels.

And of course the fact tha Tom is able to play outside, like kids should, when not engaged in family time...

PRICELESS..

Will send the postal address to you later, I want to investigate a paid of replacement wheels for my work bag which is American, and see if they can come to you and then join the flag on the way out here.

NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

The following users thanked this post: gee

Offline mtr89

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • one grateful dude
« Reply #6621 on: December 17, 2018, 03:35:00 pm »
Shit, Mr Zog, you graft bloody hard man!!!!
KX125-sold;DT 175-sold;XT660R-sold;VFR 800-sold;SR250-soldt;2006 YZ 250 2t sold;2009 YZ 250 2t sold; 2013 XT 660Z Tenere-current

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #6622 on: December 17, 2018, 08:30:03 pm »
Prezzie from Florida.

Mr Zog changed his flag for a new one, I needed a worn one as part of my new travel room theme.

This will be perfect as part of my display wall.

Once it and the rest of the stuff comes together, I will show it all.

Just as soon as Grizz sends me his address again I'll have the old flag flying to the UK for it's final resting place. Kom boet... WhatsApp vir my jou posadres.  :biggrin:

Good talking to you again over the weekend.

You certainly made out like a Bandit with all the stuff you and the family  got for Christmas, shop “discounts” and the rest.

But I need to just remind you, in a moment of sober reflection........

You have given more in your life, than you realise and life has a way of balancing the books.

Maybe this is happening right now.

I look at some of the jobs you get done,and wish I was nearby to be able to pop over and help you get it done twice as fast, with some of the kak I collect on my travels.

And of course the fact tha Tom is able to play outside, like kids should, when not engaged in family time...

PRICELESS..

Will send the postal address to you later, I want to investigate a paid of replacement wheels for my work bag which is American, and see if they can come to you and then join the flag on the way out here.

Well said  :thumleft: and I think no one can repay medics for their efforts and time when most needed

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #6623 on: December 20, 2018, 02:19:59 am »
It's sad when you have a childproof medication bottle and the only person in the house who can open it is the child.  ???
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 02:20:29 am by Mrs. Zog »

Offline silvrav

« Reply #6624 on: December 20, 2018, 03:07:41 am »
It's sad when you have a childproof medication bottle and the only person in the house who can open it is the child.  ???

:imaposer: No hammer close by?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 04:12:52 am by silvrav »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #6625 on: December 20, 2018, 03:49:13 am »
Ok, so I am back home. For a bit...

I left Monday morning at 04:15 for the shop. Picked up my van, collected my assistant, and headed down to Cape Coral. Stopped at the local Home Depot for 200 stainless steel screws and washers, then on to the job site. We got straight to work, and broke for lunch at 13h00. A quick burger, then back to work. We wanted to work late to try and have a chance to leave early on Tuesday, but there is a local ordinance that prevents working on construction after 7pm, so at 7 we packed up our tools and headed to the Holiday Inn. A quick shower, then found a Rib Shack for supper. I was in bed by 9:30pm.

Tuesday morning we were back on site at 6:30am, and pulled hard at the job, but we ran out of supplies (not my fault, supplied by the customer) so had to do another Home Depot run. Grabbed a couple of hot dogs at the Home Depot for lunch. The final part of the job was to pressure test the lines we had installed, but once again I was supplied with too few parts, so another run to the Home Depot, finally got the pressure test done and passed just before 6pm. Then the 5 hour drive home. Eish.

This morning I was scheduled to do a water sample test, and then install a new irrigation pump at another home. But the irrigation pump job got rescheduled to next week, so I took the rest of the day off  :biggrin:  In my defence I was really buggered. Came home and had a quick power nap, then did a few chores around the house, and got the Jon boat ready for the trip tomorrow. Packed up the fishing gear, and ran the motor to check it was still good. Then I went off to Walmart to see if I could get a new tyre fitted to my spare rim for the boat, but apparently their tyre changing machine cannot handle a 12 inch rim. And a complete new wheel costs $63  :o  So I'll just have to make do with the donut spare that came out of Mrs Zog's old car (the car never came with a spare, I bought the donut later and kept it when she got the new car). It's got the same size holes for the wheelnuts, but it's a 13 inch rim. It'll work as a spare in an emergency.

Tomorrow morning I'll drop the dogs off at the boarding kennels at 7am when they open, then home, and leave for the Keys! The weather forecast is for big storms all the way on Thursday, and for very strong winds on Friday. But Saturday looks like it will be good weather, so that'll be the day we take the Jon boat out and go fishing, and scatter my Dad's ashes.

I'll get a few pics of the weekend, nd post them up either Sunday evening or Monday. I have the day off on Monday as well, so  really nice break! I need it though, it's been a hell of a year.

Have a great weekend y'all   :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #6626 on: December 20, 2018, 04:16:08 am »
Ok, so I am back home. For a bit...

I left Monday morning at 04:15 for the shop. Picked up my van, collected my assistant, and headed down to Cape Coral. Stopped at the local Home Depot for 200 stainless steel screws and washers, then on to the job site. We got straight to work, and broke for lunch at 13h00. A quick burger, then back to work. We wanted to work late to try and have a chance to leave early on Tuesday, but there is a local ordinance that prevents working on construction after 7pm, so at 7 we packed up our tools and headed to the Holiday Inn. A quick shower, then found a Rib Shack for supper. I was in bed by 9:30pm.

Tuesday morning we were back on site at 6:30am, and pulled hard at the job, but we ran out of supplies (not my fault, supplied by the customer) so had to do another Home Depot run. Grabbed a couple of hot dogs at the Home Depot for lunch. The final part of the job was to pressure test the lines we had installed, but once again I was supplied with too few parts, so another run to the Home Depot, finally got the pressure test done and passed just before 6pm. Then the 5 hour drive home. Eish.

This morning I was scheduled to do a water sample test, and then install a new irrigation pump at another home. But the irrigation pump job got rescheduled to next week, so I took the rest of the day off  :biggrin:  In my defence I was really buggered. Came home and had a quick power nap, then did a few chores around the house, and got the Jon boat ready for the trip tomorrow. Packed up the fishing gear, and ran the motor to check it was still good. Then I went off to Walmart to see if I could get a new tyre fitted to my spare rim for the boat, but apparently their tyre changing machine cannot handle a 12 inch rim. And a complete new wheel costs $63  :o  So I'll just have to make do with the donut spare that came out of Mrs Zog's old car (the car never came with a spare, I bought the donut later and kept it when she got the new car). It's got the same size holes for the wheelnuts, but it's a 13 inch rim. It'll work as a spare in an emergency.

Tomorrow morning I'll drop the dogs off at the boarding kennels at 7am when they open, then home, and leave for the Keys! The weather forecast is for big storms all the way on Thursday, and for very strong winds on Friday. But Saturday looks like it will be good weather, so that'll be the day we take the Jon boat out and go fishing, and scatter my Dad's ashes.

I'll get a few pics of the weekend, nd post them up either Sunday evening or Monday. I have the day off on Monday as well, so  really nice break! I need it though, it's been a hell of a year.

Have a great weekend y'all   :thumleft:

Lekker mr zog!  :thumleft: Enjoy the family and the well deserved break!

Safe travels and may all the fishes bite over the weekend
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 04:16:58 am by silvrav »

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #6627 on: December 20, 2018, 06:12:13 am »
And you still make time to update us here - much appreciated  :thumleft:

Enjoy the little break and get some rest!
Eat life!

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #6628 on: December 20, 2018, 07:09:46 am »
Havalekkerweekend !  ;D

I'm surprised a car came without a spare wheel of any kind...!??  :patch:

Marie biscuits ones, deflated ones with compressor... but NO spare? :eek7:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:10:51 am by Fudmucker »
LIFE'S MUCH COOLER WITHOUT UNDERWEAR,
Life-long supporter of the "Free the Nipple" movement
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I'm far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #6629 on: December 20, 2018, 07:33:54 am »
If you live in a country where you can break down next to the road, phone for assistance and it arrives, you probably don't need it :sip:

Have a great trip, Zogs and Zoglies. I hope the weather turns out much better than expected.

Mr Zog, what are you going to do with yourself for 4 WHOLE DAYS? :imaposer:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:35:42 am by Ri »
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3005,00 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #6630 on: December 20, 2018, 07:59:10 am »
And you still make time to update us here - much appreciated  :thumleft:

Enjoy the little break and get some rest!

:thumleft: :thumleft:
Rallye

Offline silvrav

« Reply #6631 on: December 20, 2018, 09:11:52 am »
Havalekkerweekend !  ;D

There is quite a few actually. Some bmws, minis, mercs all don't come with spare as default as they all have run flat. If you want a spare you have to buy it

Offline Pumbaa

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • Africa Cycle Tours
« Reply #6632 on: December 20, 2018, 09:39:17 am »
Havalekkerweekend !  ;D

Our car, Honda civic, also doesn't have a spare. It does have a little compressor and over of those emergency repair kits though.

So how does it work on overtime payments if you leave home at 415? Is that when your working day works start? Similarly driving back 5 hours after the job? I guess you would charge that?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Africa Cycle Tours - Offering supported bicycle tours

Offline RrP

« Reply #6633 on: December 20, 2018, 05:11:28 pm »
Have a good break Mr Zog so I can too, following this thread gives me a guilt trip and keeps me aswell !!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #6634 on: December 20, 2018, 05:31:10 pm »
Most BMW / Mini etc and lots of others have no spares, only run flats
Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite. Courtesy of Spike

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6635 on: December 24, 2018, 03:24:06 am »
Ok, we are back from the Keys.  :thumleft:

I'll keep the posts a bit shorter because I have a few pics, and because I don't do the photophuckit thing I need to upload pics directly.

So Thursday morning I'm up early, and have a couple of coffees to wake up. Then after I have packed my stuff into the bakkie, and gotten everything ready I took the dogglies to the boarding kennels in Mrs Zog's new jammie. Maggie was fine when she saw where I was dropping her off, but Sammy got out of the car, took one look at where we were and got straight back in the car.  :eek7:   I had to literally drag him out and in the gate of the boarding kennel... poor doggie doesn't like it there  :'(

Anyways, left him there and headed back home. Parked the little car, and hooked up the boat trailer. Junior Zoggie likes having his pic taken  :biggrin:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6636 on: December 24, 2018, 03:32:16 am »
A big cold front was moving across the State as we were leaving, with accompanying strong winds (40 - 50 MPH!) and lots of rain. So instead of just chucking the suitcases on the back of the bakkie I put them inside the back, on the back seat. With 3 suitcases in the back, and a cooler box with water and cooldrinks, there was still enough space for junior Zoggie to sit comfortably and still wear his seatbelt. I love my BIG bakkie  :ricky:

We pretty much stayed ahead of the front the entire way down, we had a couple of light rain showers, but the biggest issue was the wind that was constantly right on the nose. It was averaging around 30 MPH, so it pushed my fuel consumption up a bit. I still kept the speed control locked in at 70MPH on the Interstate, and the V8 kept it right there all the time, but I could feel the wind fighting us.

We arrived in the Keys early afternoon, and you know you are in Pirate country when they fly the Jolly Rodger right under the Star Spangled Banner  :imaposer:

Just below the flag I also spotted this trailer for sale, looks super cool!  8)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6637 on: December 24, 2018, 03:47:51 am »
We arrived at the motel we were booked into. I unloaded the bags and then went and parked the boat around the corner down a side street where the motel had designated trailer parking. Then Tom and I took the light fishing rods and went down to the fishing spot where we cast a few lures before dark.

I had a bit of luck, I landed 3 small Cuda's! And one large puffer fish that blew itself up to the size of a rugby ball before I shook it off the hook. Then it dropped back into the water, deflated rapidly, and swam away. Cutest little bugger  :imaposer:

Then back to the motel for a quick shower, and off to find a seafood dinner. We ate at a small place that was run by a Cuban family. The prices were really low, but the quality of the fish was superb! I had a fish basket with fries for just under $9  :drif:  and a funky beer  :imaposer:

Mrs Zog also had a fish basket, but junior Zoggie is a savage, he doesn't like fish, so he had a grilled cheese sandwich and a pepsi for $4  :lol8:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 03:48:24 am by Mr Zog »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6638 on: December 24, 2018, 04:03:27 am »
Friday morning I was up well before the sun, and I sat on the porch of the motel room drinking coffee watching the cars go by.

Thinking about it, every single thing that is in Key West gets there by road. No railway line, and although there is both a boat dock and an airport, I doubt much goes in that way. So virtually everything gets there by driving along the road right in front of the motel we were staying at. No wonder the road is so busy, all through the night, with trucks up and down...

But I digress...  We headed west along the overseas highway from Marathon Key towards Key West. It is a stunning drive, and thinking about the engineering that went into designing and building the bridges along the way makes one realise just how clever the human brain can be. The longest bridge is called 7-Mile bridge, and it is just that. 7 Miles long. That is a shade over 11km. The mind boggles...

On the way we stopped at a "bargain basement" store where I bought 4 t-shirts for $10 (t-shirts are expensive, usually the cheapest in Walmart are around $8 each!) and young Skywalker bought himself a very bright fleece-top for $20 (he used some cash his grandmother had given him).

In Key West we decided to split up. Mrs Zog wanted to do the "cultural" thing, like visit the Hemingway house, and junior and I wanted to do "man stuff" like climb the lighthouse and get a pic at the southernmost point, etc. So in order to do it all we rented a scooter  :biggrin:

The scooter was a hoot, it was in great shape, comfy, and I could prove that I am still a biker after all these years without one  :ricky:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6639 on: December 24, 2018, 04:12:41 am »
We met up for lunch at a little back-alley Mexican restaurant, where we had another super seafood lunch. The savage had a cheeseburger  :imaposer: 

Then we drove around the Island a bit more, exploring, and looking at sexy chicks interesting architecture and such like. We had to return the scooter by 3 (it was just a half-day rental) and met Mrs Zog where we had parked the bakkie. We took a leisurely drive back to Marathon Key, and relaxed at the back of the Motel where they have a small marina. There were several iguana's around, and one in particular was really close. I think it liked me. Like as in, it wanted to eat me  :eek7:

After another stunning seafood dinner (you just cannot visit the Keys without eating from the freshly-caught local seafood  :deal: ) I relaxed with a good Cuban cigar, a beer, and chased it all with a bottle of rum  O0