Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 744379 times)

AdoonsUK (+ 1 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #6640 on: December 24, 2018, 04:52:13 am »
I bought tshirts at that exact place.

Did you stay at that shady but cheap motel on the left as you entered KW?

Did you manage to visit the Vet place across from the harbour?

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #6641 on: December 24, 2018, 04:53:43 am »
Saturday morning I was again awake well before dawn. Coffee on the porch watching the traffic.

The wind had finally died down a bit, and literally hundreds of boats were being towed to the launch sites... that made me happy. Because it was the day that I had a mission, and it involved taking my tiny little Jon boat out to sea...

It was still dark when I went and fetched my little boat from where it was parked down a side street. I hooked it up and towed it back to the motel where I got it ready, put the fishing rods on it, attached the pirate flag, and inserted the drain plug. Then I towed it down to the launch site at the marina, launched it in the water, and tied it up to a dock. Then I took the trailer back to the parking spot down the side street, left it there, and went back to the motel.

I woke up young Zoggie and Mrs Zog, we each had a quick cup of coffee, then walked down to the dock. We took my Dad's ashes with us.

Although the wind had died down considerably, it was still blowing around 20MPH, so not the best weather to go out in such a little boat. But we had life jackets, and a mission, so we headed out. I had looked at where we were on Google Earth, and had found a spot that I thought was right, and so I steered the little boat in that direction.

It wasn't very far, luckily, because the sea was still pretty rough after two days of gale-force winds. We reached the spot I had chosen, and pulled in to the island on the leeward side where the water was nice and calm.

It was a very heartbreaking moment when I poured my Dad's ashes into the water, tears flowed freely all around. But it was also good in a strange way. Knowing that my Dad wasn't suffering any more, he wasn't lonely any more, and he would be fishing for eternity in one of the most beautiful places in the world. And I knew that whenever I went fishing again, that he would guide me to the fish, and keep me safe on the water, always.

After a few minutes of reflection I started up the little engine and took us back to the marina. We tied the boat up and went to the room to freshen up, then we went and got a sandwich and another coffee at Dunkin Donuts. I tried to find some live bait, but because none of the bait boats had been able to go out the previous days there was none to be found. So I just got a small bag of frozen shrimp and a couple of frozen Wahoo for bait. Then we went back to the motel. Mrs Zog had her plans for the day, and Tom and I went back out on the little boat to see if we could find some fish.

The water was very turbid from all the wind, and there was a LOT of sea grass floating around that had been broken free by the wind and waves, so conditions were not ideal. But Tom did manage to get a really nice Mangrove Snapper, I got a smaller one, and then Tom got a very beautiful Snapper with horizontal blue stripes. I'm not sure what it is called, but we released all the fish. After a few hours we called it a day, it was still pretty unpleasant out there. I didn't get any pics because my phone stayed safely secured inside a waterproof box, out of the sea spray. Sorry.

Back at the marina we pulled the boat out back onto it's trailer, and packed away all the fishing gear into the tool box on the back of my bakkie. Then I went and parked the boat back down the side street. After a good warm shower we just chilled until supper time, when we had one last seafood supper, and then an early night.

This morning (Sunday) we packed up early, hooked the boat, and were heading home by 8am. We stopped at the Waffle House on Key Largo for breakfast, then pushed through until we arrived home just after 1pm.

After unhooking the boat and unpacking the bakkie I had a LOT of work to do. I used my leaf-blower to blow all the leaves that had blown off the trees during the big storms that had hit our area while we were away into big piles. Then I mowed all the grass. Then I washed the boat and flushed the motor out really well. I rinsed all the fishing gear with fresh water, and packed it away in the fishing shed. Then I did some more work on the table I am busy making for Mrs Zog for the kitchen nook.

By then it was getting dark, and cold, so I called it a day and had a nice hot shower. Mrs Zog cooked us a lovely spaghetti and mince supper, and now I am getting caught up with all you guys. Tomorrow I will try to finish off the table, and get some pics of it for y'all.

Bed time...  :deal:  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6642 on: December 24, 2018, 04:55:45 am »
I bought tshirts at that exact place.

Did you stay at that shady but cheap motel on the left as you entered KW?

No, we stayed at a motel on Marathon Key

Did you manage to visit the Vet place across from the harbour?

No, with the laaitie with me I just did stuff that interested him. Maybe next time  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #6643 on: December 24, 2018, 06:37:54 am »
Glad you had a good time and I am glad you spread the ashes in such a nice place.
Enjoy the time together!
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #6644 on: December 24, 2018, 06:59:37 am »
Nice report back Mr Zog - thanks for taking the time  :thumleft:

Glad you got a few days off to spend some quality time with your little man and have some rest.

Eat life!

Offline boland

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #6645 on: December 24, 2018, 07:15:50 am »
I stayed close to Florida city in May for a few days after a work trip. There ended up being a tropical storm the whole time so I couldnít do much site seeing. The one thing I do remember is the number of people who still went fishing in those conditions!

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #6646 on: December 24, 2018, 08:00:22 am »
I stayed close to Florida city in May for a few days after a work trip. There ended up being a tropical storm the whole time so I couldnít do much site seeing. The one thing I do remember is the number of people who still went fishing in those conditions!

You would not believe the conditions the British will go fishing in, it is the biggest participant sport in the UK by a factor 3 or 4, I think they get cabin fever.  8) 

Correction, it used to be, number one down to seventeenth  :o dance and other poncy sports have taken over  :sip:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 08:06:09 am by Welsh »
They said Iíd be no good at poetry because of my dyslexia, but so far Iív made 3 pots and a vase and going well

Offline grizz

• ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #6647 on: December 24, 2018, 08:30:28 am »
Merry Christmas and all that Team Zog.

Glad you guys got all those things done.

Tom Certainly is building a great repertoire of travel and fishing stories.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline boland

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #6648 on: December 24, 2018, 01:05:53 pm »

You would not believe the conditions the British will go fishing in, it is the biggest participant sport in the UK by a factor 3 or 4, I think they get cabin fever.  8) 

Correction, it used to be, number one down to seventeenth  :o dance and other poncy sports have taken over  :sip:

Iíll believe that! I actually wanted to drive to Key West the one day, but ended turning around due to the driving rain and wind. There are spots where the road is literally 0.5 m above the sea level. People where fishing the whole way!

Offline RobbieJZW

« Reply #6649 on: December 24, 2018, 05:30:03 pm »
Merry Christmas @Mr Zog, @Mrs Zog & Zog Jr!! Thanks for sharing & inspiring!! 

Online Suzukli DL

« Reply #6650 on: December 25, 2018, 05:05:27 am »
Merry Christmas Zogs.   :occasion18: :occasion1:

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #6651 on: December 25, 2018, 06:02:35 am »
A very Merry Christmas, Zogs!

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6652 on: December 27, 2018, 04:00:21 am »
Merry Christmas @Mr Zog, @Mrs Zog & Zog Jr!! Thanks for sharing & inspiring!!

Merry Christmas Zogs.   :occasion18: :occasion1:

A very Merry Christmas, Zogs!

Thanks guys & girls  :thumleft:

Christmas day was great! We woke up nice and early and made coffee. Then Thomas was designated the "present hander outer", he had to get the prezzies out from under the tree and hand them out to either Mrs Zog, myself, or himself  :biggrin:

I got a really nice book from Mrs Zog, and some lekker fig jam and chocolate from Thomas. Mrs Zog got a new frying pan and tin opener from me, and some hand cream from Thomas. The dogs got some treats and a new soft toy.

Thomas got lots of little gifts; new earphones for his laptop, clothes, some toys, and candy too.

After some yard work (raking leaves) and spraying clear laquer varnish from a spray can onto the table I was making for Mrs Zog, Thomas and I went fishing at the Indian River Lagoon. Just off a dock, not with the boat, because the wind was blowing hard. We caught some small snappers and a few other species, then called it a day because it was starting to get quite chilly.

Back home I was devastated to see that the clear laquer I had sprayed onto the table had somehow reacted with the polyurathane stain that I had used. The whoe table was now a dark ugly white  >:(  I tried to wipe it off with denatured alcohol, but that was only slightly successful. So I ended up sanding the entire table surface AGAIN, and beacuse it was varnish, the grit in the sandpaper clogged up very quickly. But eventually it was done, and I found an old tin of stain/polyurethane that was left over from when I built Mrs Zog the kitchen cabinet, so I used that to re-stain and seal the table.

Then it was dinner time, Mrs Zog had cooked us an awesome beef roast with roasted veg and mashed potato and gravy. And topped off with some Key Lime Pie  :drif:  Dinner was awesome! I definitely ate way too much  :patch:

Today was back to work, and after work the new coat of stain/polyurethane was dry, so I brought the new table inside and installed it. This eveing we ate dinner at the new hand made table. Now we have lots more room in the dining room and Mrs Zog can get into the hutch to get to her crockery and stuff  :biggrin:

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #6653 on: December 27, 2018, 06:31:37 am »
Nice Mr Zog  :thumleft:
Eat life!

Offline cheesy

« Reply #6654 on: December 27, 2018, 12:10:42 pm »
Mr Zog, you are an inspiration to many. Your hard work holds up the Saffers reputation of hard workers. God bless you and your family.
Bum in the saddle, always.

Offline grizz

• ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #6655 on: December 27, 2018, 07:50:09 pm »
Mooi Gary.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #6656 on: December 27, 2018, 10:13:22 pm »
Nice work on that table mr Zog  :thumleft: All you need is some wood tools and maybe start making furniture? palet furniture for outside?

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6657 on: December 28, 2018, 03:09:28 am »
Nice work on that table mr Zog  :thumleft: All you need is some wood tools and maybe start making furniture? palet furniture for outside?

I have lots of wood tools, and I can get pallets for free all over.

My biggest issue is time. I have many jobs to do around the house, and most of them need to be done before the start of Hurricane season in 5 months (like fixing the side fences and securing the shutters properly), and with the plumbing job I am working 12 - 14 hours most days. And on call every 3rd week. So that leaves me very little time to do stuff like making furniture for resale.

But you have a good point, definitely something I can look into...

Any ideas on what kinds of stuff I can make that will sell locally?  :peepwall:   Remember we live amongst a load of rednecks, who love fishin' and huntin' and camo and BIG trucks and stuff...   :deal:   Maybe some kind of fold-up camping chair?

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #6658 on: December 28, 2018, 06:39:59 am »

My biggest issue is time. I have many jobs to do around the house, and most of them need to be done before the start of Hurricane season in 5 months (like fixing the side fences and securing the shutters properly), and with the plumbing job I am working 12 - 14 hours most days. And on call every 3rd week. So that leaves me very little time to do stuff like making furniture for resale.

Any ideas on what kinds of stuff I can make that will sell locally?  :peepwall:   Remember we live amongst a load of rednecks, who love fishin' and huntin' and camo and BIG trucks and stuff...   :deal:   Maybe some kind of fold-up camping chair?

Maybe something outdoorsy with multiple uses? How do the recknecks enjoy picnicking?

Here's a bigger version but will try and find the 2 seater that fits in the boot

https://youtu.be/7wvL-mr0bDI

Offline Oshkosh

« Reply #6659 on: December 28, 2018, 04:07:14 pm »

@Mr Zog

Search Pinterest you will find plenty examples!!  :thumleft:
2017 R1200RS SPORT F#ck Me what an Animal!
2010 R1200GS ADV "The Comfy Chair with GRUNT"(SOLD)
2012 R1200RT "The Wife's Little Tourer"