Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 939387 times)

driesbritz and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za (Laser cutting & Engraving Services)
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #6800 on: January 25, 2019, 09:03:18 am »
I've heard that banana works well... it may not quell the nausea, but it's the only food that tastes the same on the way out as it did on the way in...  :pot:
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #6801 on: January 25, 2019, 02:59:19 pm »
And on the way back I drove past this crash that had happened a short while earlier. There was a cop car and a tow-truck on scene, so I didn't stop.
But I was guessing that the fire department was on their way …    :peepwall:

What is your legal liability and responsibility when you stop at an accident with injured people?

You have paramedic background but not registered in US.
Media portray Americans to sue easy.
You can't just leave someone to die and do nothing?

In a nutshell, quick before I start work.

I don't know about Florida, this varies from state to state. I used to be a paramedic in Baltimore, Maryland. Maryland has a Good Samaritan law. This means...

If you are a layperson without any medical knowledge whatsoever, and you come across an accident and decide to help, you are legally protected. If you do something to the victim, and as a direct result of your actions, that person dies, you are ok because you acted in good faith. You did the best you could.

HOWEVER. If you are a medical professional of any kind, the Good Samaritan law does not apply to you. You will be held to the standards of your profession. If you are off duty and you come across an accident and decide to help, you open yourself up to all sorts of problems. For one, once you start to provide help, you are not allowed to leave the scene until you are relieved by someone with the same or higher qualifications as you, otherwise, you could be charged with abandonment and patient neglect. If you do something to the patient and he dies as a result of what you did, or remains permanently disabled, or whatever, you could be sued for malpractice.

So, as paramedics, we were always told to not stop for anything when off duty. It just opens you up to all sorts of legal crap.
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #6802 on: January 25, 2019, 04:16:43 pm »
HOWEVER. If you are a medical professional of any kind, the Good Samaritan law does not apply to you. You will be held to the standards of your profession.

So, as paramedics, we were always told to not stop for anything when off duty. It just opens you up to all sorts of legal crap.

So Zog is a medical professional and Good Samaritan law does not apply.
But he is not registered in USA so if he helps he is open for legal action against him.
So he should always walk away even if he could help?

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #6803 on: January 25, 2019, 05:24:05 pm »

I would say that is a personal decision. Can you live with the consequences of doing nothing, or alternatively, helping and possibly having the pants sued off your back?

I don't think there is a clear-cut, one size fits all answer.

I would also say that for most medical professionals, especially paramedics, it would be difficult to stand by and do nothing if there is any chance you can make a life or death difference.

On the flip side, I have a close friend who is a psychiatrist. He is a doctor, went to med school. Rotated through all of the departments (Emergency medicine, OB/Gyn, internal medicine, etc.) just like any other doctor to be. Then he decided on psychiatry. I said to him once, so what if, for example, one of your patients, in the middle of a therapy session, has a seizure, or a heart attack? He didn't even hesitate, he said, I call 911, or call a code if in a hospital setting. He said his skills are far too rusty in that regard.

As I said, I think it's a very personal decision, and it also depends on your skill level and comfort zone. If you're a dentist, you should probably think twice before wading full on into an accident scene.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 05:37:39 pm by Mrs. Zog »
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #6804 on: January 25, 2019, 05:40:43 pm »
P.S. Let's not forget the safety aspect. Do I really want to get blood all over me (possibly), not knowing what kind of diseases this person may have? Because chances are, you will not have full protective kit with you in that situation.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #6805 on: January 25, 2019, 05:46:37 pm »
HOWEVER. If you are a medical professional of any kind, the Good Samaritan law does not apply to you. You will be held to the standards of your profession.

So Zog is a medical professional and Good Samaritan law does not apply.
But he is not registered in USA so if he helps he is open for legal action against him.

No as I understand it, Zog has no recognized USA qualification, you cannot be prosecuted for something you are not qualified in.  :peepwall: 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 05:50:44 pm by Welsh »
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #6806 on: January 25, 2019, 06:07:02 pm »
Ok, here you go:

Florida: § 768.13 states (2) (a) Any person, including those licensed to practice medicine, who gratuitously and in good faith renders emergency care or treatment either in direct response to emergency situations related to and arising out of a public health emergency declared pursuant to s. 381.00315, a state of emergency which has been declared pursuant to s. 252.36 or at the scene of an emergency outside of a hospital, doctor's office, or other place having proper medical equipment, without objection of the injured victim or victims thereof, shall not be held liable for any civil damages as a result of such care or treatment or as a result of any act or failure to act in providing or arranging further medical treatment where the person acts as an ordinary reasonably prudent person would have acted under the same or similar circumstances.

So I think Mr. Zog would be protected in Florida.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #6807 on: January 25, 2019, 06:08:42 pm »
Ok, here you go:

Florida: § 768.13 states (2) (a) Any person, including those licensed to practice medicine, who gratuitously and in good faith renders emergency care or treatment either in direct response to emergency situations related to and arising out of a public health emergency declared pursuant to s. 381.00315, a state of emergency which has been declared pursuant to s. 252.36 or at the scene of an emergency outside of a hospital, doctor's office, or other place having proper medical equipment, without objection of the injured victim or victims thereof, shall not be held liable for any civil damages as a result of such care or treatment or as a result of any act or failure to act in providing or arranging further medical treatment where the person acts as an ordinary reasonably prudent person would have acted under the same or similar circumstances.

100%  :sip:
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #6808 on: January 25, 2019, 08:42:02 pm »
If I was there and injured, I would sign a disclaimer faster than he could write one in order for him to treat me as I trust him with my life!
On topic, I was taught that I need to carry my first aid certificate with me and ask the pasient’s permission before treating them?
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #6809 on: January 25, 2019, 09:03:45 pm »
For ZA, not sure about having to carry your certificate, but it's always good to get consent.

If the person is conscious, he/she can give consent (if under 18, ask a parent or guardian for consent if they are around). If the person is unconscious, treat under "implied consent", meaning, you assume the person would give consent if he/she was awake.  :thumleft:

Again, here in the USA, as a paramedic, you must have some form of consent to treat. If you go ahead without consent, you can be sued for battery.

(I had a case once where a person had injured himself badly with a chainsaw and refused to be treated for religious reasons. We waited around until he passed out and then went ahead under implied consent.)  :o

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #6810 on: January 25, 2019, 09:26:21 pm »
Thanks, pity you need to dot your i’s and cross you T’s before you can help somebody!
It is difficult to remember to do the legal things when you see a biker go down and stop and run to help!
Luckily it was only bruises and the paramedics were passing by and were on scene in seconds!
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #6811 on: January 25, 2019, 11:24:50 pm »
Ok, here you go:

:thumleft:  That makes sense now.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #6812 on: January 26, 2019, 04:00:49 am »
I didn't stop for two reasons.

1. There was already a cop, and a tow truck on the scene. The car was well alight, in other words it was in full flame. If there was still anyone inside it, they were already toast. If they were out of the car and injured, the cop would have been assisting them. The cop was standing watching the fire while talking on his radio. So in other words, there wasn't anything that I would be able to do to help.

2. It would have been very unsafe for me to stop my bakkie on the highway. The speed limit is 70 MPH (almost 120km/h), and everyone drives at that speed (or just a tad higher). The crash was against the centre barrier, and the road bends to the left right there. If I stopped against the centre barrier, there would be a good chance my truck would get taken out as the motorists looked at the scene instead of looking where they are going. This is common, and I have seen it many, many times. It's called a secondary collision. If I had pulled off on the shoulder, then I would have had to cross over 4 lanes of traffic to get to the centre barrier. Running across a busy highway when people are not concentrating on the road, but on a car on fire against the barrier, would be suicidal.

I generally don't give a fig about the legalities when someone really needs help. I just do what I have to do, and hope for the best. But I am careful about my own safety, and after many years of experience I have learned to size-up a scene in a quick glance. If I am not able to do anything to help, or if I cannot stop safely, then I keep going. When it was my job to stop and do my job, I did it. But as a "civilian", I have a responsibility towards my family first.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6813 on: January 26, 2019, 04:18:46 am »
This evening when I got home I made a start on fixing the kitchen sink cabinet et al.

First I pulled out the old faucet. It was so badly corroded that I had to cut it out with my Sawzall  :eek7:.  Then I removed the drain pipes from below the sink, and tried to loosen the few remaining retaining brackets. Ha ha  funny... as I touched them they just fell off, completely rusted through.

Then to get the sink out... it had been glued down at some stage with construction adhesive, and sealed up a few times with silicone and caulk. It was a mission to get it free, but with careful cutting with a sharp blade, and gentle prying with a screwdriver, I finally got the sink free without bending it. WIN!

The base of the cabinet under the sink was completely rotten. I thought I may have a bit of a struggle to get it out, but just one gentle smack with a hammer and the hammer went right through it. So I just banged away, breaking off chunks until it was all loose. Then I picked up the pieces into a bucket and dumped them in the trash. A quick once-over with the shop-vac and it was nice and clean.

Getting the built-up adhesive and other kak off the counter top was another job. But on the bright side I discovered that the counter top wasn't melamine covered chipboard as I first thought. It's that fake granite kind of stuff, pretty hard, and water has no effect on it. That was a good find! I first used a chisel to get the worst of the crap off, then a scraper to get the last bit off. It was a time-consuming effort. But I am satisfied with the result.

Lastly, I took the old sink into my workshop and cleaned the old gunk and crap off it with a wire brush in my cordless drill. Large sections of the steel brackets that hold the sink down have completely rusted away, but I was planning on gluing it down with Loctite Super-Dooper construction adhesive anyway, so not a biggie. My biggest aim was to ensure that I got a good clean surface for the glue to stick to. Done.

Of course Maggie had to assist too, making sure that the inside of the cabinet was critter free for me.  :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6814 on: January 26, 2019, 04:21:09 am »
More pics of the progress...

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6815 on: January 26, 2019, 04:25:44 am »
Tomorrow morning I will start off by building a new base for the cabinet. It will be a lot easier to get it done with the big hole in the top where the sink was.

I'll also move that electrical outlet back inside the wall, I got a new box for it yesterday. And repair some of the holes in the back wall.

Then I'll glue the sink back in, and hold it down with some gym weights until the construction adhesive sets. Then install the new faucet, and the RO system.

Hopefully I'll be done by lunch time.  :thumleft:

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #6816 on: January 26, 2019, 09:32:32 am »
Not sure how easy it works, but love your kitchen sink.

Good progress on the “clean up”
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #6817 on: January 26, 2019, 03:16:44 pm »
It's called a "butterfly sink" and is designed for small spaces. Maybe when we can re-do the whole kitchen we can come up with a better way. This works, but it's very cramped. The kitchen is very small.

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #6818 on: January 26, 2019, 09:15:21 pm »
That rust reminds me of the South Coast of Natal... my boet has gone through 6 washing machines since moving there in the late 80's... my Speed Queen has no rust marks at all and was bought a year after he had moved. Lekker in die Vrystaat... :biggrin:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6819 on: January 27, 2019, 12:28:23 am »
It's called a "butterfly sink" and is designed for small spaces. Maybe when we can re-do the whole kitchen we can come up with a better way. This works, but it's very cramped. The kitchen is very small.

If the kitchen is small, think about the space under the kitchen sink  :eek7:  Getting in under there was a friggin nightmare. But I am getting ahead of myself...

This morning I started off by making up a frame for the new base. I used two strips of 2 x 6 lumber that I had in my woodpile, and three 13" bits of 2 x 4. Also found in my woodpile.  :biggrin:   I screwed them together, and dropped the frame down through the hole where the sink was. Then I cut two strips of plywood that were offcuts from another job, to fit over the frame.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 12:35:00 am by Mr Zog »