Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 865351 times)

Blikkies1 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Tom van Brits

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #6900 on: February 19, 2019, 08:33:18 pm »
Wd's love pictures  :deal:

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #6901 on: February 20, 2019, 04:08:43 am »
Sorry guys & girls, been effin busy.

Was on call the weekend, and Mrs Zog got me gardening too. Dug up one bed, removed all the weeds, put down some of that black sheet material stuff that helps to stop the weeds growing again, planted two philodendrons and a banana tree that Mrs Zog had picked up at Home Depot, then put down a layer of mulch to keep it all neat and moist.

My buddy the pharmacist gave me another 8 coconut palms that had sprouted in his garden, so another 8 big holes dug to get them planted, some in the front yard and some in the back.

I gave Maggie a haircut, cut my hair and shaved my beard, and washed both dogs. I cleaned the grouting in the shower. Mould grows fast here with the humid warm temps.

I did a couple of small mods to the boat, electrics and a new post for the fish finder to mount on.

I dug the holes and planted 4 new fence posts, each secured with a bag of concrete. Ready for the start of building the new fence down the western boundary. I already have the 12 2x4's for the cross-beams, and I think I can reuse most of the existing fence panels from the old fence. I should be able to save around $30 per 8-foot section by reusing the old ones. Each post costs $8, and a bag of concrete is $3.50. So around $12 including VAT per post. The west fence still needs around 8 posts, so another $100 or so. Then I'll need to get another 24 or so 2x4's and they are about $4 each. So another $100. I have lots of screws, many recycled, so hopefully around another $200 and I'll have a decent west fence. If I got a fence company to come do it they would charge me around $5000  :eek7:

So that's why I do so much stuff myself... I'm stingy  :imaposer:

I still need to study-up on YouTube about how to redo my roof...  :sip:  :peepwall:

Maybe Mrs Zog can get some pics of the palm trees and plants and stuff tomorrow and post for y'all  :pot:  :biggrin:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #6902 on: February 20, 2019, 04:42:54 am »
Sorry guys & girls, been effin busy.

Was on call the weekend, and Mrs Zog got me gardening too. Dug up one bed, removed all the weeds, put down some of that black sheet material stuff that helps to stop the weeds growing again, planted two philodendrons and a banana tree that Mrs Zog had picked up at Home Depot, then put down a layer of mulch to keep it all neat and moist.

My buddy the pharmacist gave me another 8 coconut palms that had sprouted in his garden, so another 8 big holes dug to get them planted, some in the front yard and some in the back.

I gave Maggie a haircut, cut my hair and shaved my beard, and washed both dogs. I cleaned the grouting in the shower. Mould grows fast here with the humid warm temps.

I did a couple of small mods to the boat, electrics and a new post for the fish finder to mount on.

I dug the holes and planted 4 new fence posts, each secured with a bag of concrete. Ready for the start of building the new fence down the western boundary. I already have the 12 2x4's for the cross-beams, and I think I can reuse most of the existing fence panels from the old fence. I should be able to save around $30 per 8-foot section by reusing the old ones. Each post costs $8, and a bag of concrete is $3.50. So around $12 including VAT per post. The west fence still needs around 8 posts, so another $100 or so. Then I'll need to get another 24 or so 2x4's and they are about $4 each. So another $100. I have lots of screws, many recycled, so hopefully around another $200 and I'll have a decent west fence. If I got a fence company to come do it they would charge me around $5000  :eek7:

So that's why I do so much stuff myself... I'm stingy  :imaposer:

I still need to study-up on YouTube about how to redo my roof...  :sip:  :peepwall:

Maybe Mrs Zog can get some pics of the palm trees and plants and stuff tomorrow and post for y'all  :pot:  :biggrin:
After just reading what you have done I am tired and have only worked the keypad! :imaposer:
My one friend is just as industrias as you around his house and when he sold it now, the first buyer took it without even blinking an eye, and for a very good price because the house was in such good condition.
All your hard work will be to your benefit, not only now but when you sell to buy the next fixer upper!
Well done!  :thumleft:
Keep it up!
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline Karel84

« Reply #6903 on: February 20, 2019, 04:51:02 am »
Mr Z, apart from the usual pesticides and what not, what treatment does the wood for the fencing get? I saw a video a while back where a guy had an abundance of used motor oil, which he used on his fences and gate. He reckons water just beads off it (obviaaas) and the wood lasts well over a decade...

Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6904 on: February 21, 2019, 03:28:53 am »
Mr Z, apart from the usual pesticides and what not, what treatment does the wood for the fencing get? I saw a video a while back where a guy had an abundance of used motor oil, which he used on his fences and gate. He reckons water just beads off it (obviaaas) and the wood lasts well over a decade...

The wood is pressure treated. I don't know what chemicals they use, but apparently there are traces of arsenic  :eek7:

When you take an old fence down, or try to discard any pressure treated wood, it has to go to the hazmat dump landfill in Cocoa. The normal landfill dump here in Melbourne will not allow you in with it. So it must be some pretty hectic chemicals.

note: a quick google : Pressure treated wood is now treated with Alkaline Copper (AC) and Quaternary Ammonium Compounds (ACQ). These compounds are much less toxic and have shown to not leach into soils the way CCA and Creosote have. This does not eliminate health risks, but significantly minimizes them.
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Karel84

« Reply #6905 on: February 21, 2019, 03:36:23 am »

The wood is pressure treated. I don't know what chemicals they use, but apparently there are traces of arsenic  :eek7:

When you take an old fence down, or try to discard any pressure treated wood, it has to go to the hazmat dump landfill in Cocoa. The normal landfill dump here in Melbourne will not allow you in with it. So it must be some pretty hectic chemicals.

note: a quick google : Pressure treated wood is now treated with Alkaline Copper (AC) and Quaternary Ammonium Compounds (ACQ). These compounds are much less toxic and have shown to not leach into soils the way CCA and Creosote have. This does not eliminate health risks, but significantly minimizes them.
Interesting stuff... Gratitude

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #6906 on: February 21, 2019, 02:52:15 pm »

I'll get to it, soon. Very busy at the moment with work.
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6907 on: February 22, 2019, 04:19:46 am »
I got home with some light still available.

So I took some pics for y'all  :ricky:

pic 1 - the new garden bed on the western side of the house.

Pic 2 & 3 - the fence posts that I have planted.

pic 4 - the coconut palm trees and other plants down in the bottom of the back yard, hopefully they get big soon to screen the view of the soon-to-be-built houses back there.

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #6908 on: February 22, 2019, 04:24:48 am »
Interesting Mr zog, it looks like the window awnings double as storm barriers?

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6909 on: February 22, 2019, 04:26:21 am »
We had a rocket launch this evening at 8:45pm local time.

A Falcon 9 from SpaceX went up with three payloads, one is a comms satellite for Indonesia, another a satellite for the US air force, and the third is a lunar landing module from Israel. It is expected to land on the moon on 3 April and will do scientific investigation and stuff...

We watched it from our back yard, and I took a short video with my phone. I'll try and set up a YouTube account for myself and upload it, then I'll put a link here.  :thumleft:

If I get the YouTube jobbie sorted...  :peepwall:

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6910 on: February 22, 2019, 04:33:05 am »

Yes, good observation  :thumleft:

They are very lightweight aluminium awnings, and they hinge down and get bolted to the side of the house with wingnuts.

Although they are lightweight, it's all that is needed to stop debris blowing around in a hurricane from breaking the glass windows. If the glass breaks, the wind gets a "grip" on the house, and can blow into the room and destroy the ceiling. Then the pressure inside the attic will push down all the other ceilings, and maybe even start to lift the roof. If the roof lifts even just a little bit then the wind can grab it and pull it right off. If the roof goes, then the walls will probably follow too, and the roof beams form part of the support for the walls.

So all in all, very important to protect the windows  :deal:  :thumleft:

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #6911 on: February 22, 2019, 04:40:11 am »

They are very lightweight aluminium awnings, and they hinge down and get bolted to the side of the house with wingnuts.

Although they are lightweight, it's all that is needed to stop debris blowing around in a hurricane from breaking the glass windows. If the glass breaks, the wind gets a "grip" on the house, and can blow into the room and destroy the ceiling. Then the pressure inside the attic will push down all the other ceilings, and maybe even start to lift the roof. If the roof lifts even just a little bit then the wind can grab it and pull it right off. If the roof goes, then the walls will probably follow too, and the roof beams form part of the support for the walls.

Nice  :thumleft: Time to automate it   :ricky:

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #6912 on: February 22, 2019, 05:00:18 am »

That is a great idea! Connect a pi or Arduino to a weather station so that it can be completely automated!
Now that will be a project that will exhibit your super-Zogness
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6913 on: February 22, 2019, 05:15:30 am »
Ok, lets see if I can post the youtube vid...

Yaay!  :ricky:

Excuse the kak quality from my cell phone please. This was just the first stage, just after the first stage went out, the second stage booster kicked in and I could see it for another couple of minutes, Watched it as the red glow got fainter and fainter... awesome.

The satellites deployed perfectly, and the booster rocket landed back on the drone ship too...  did you know that the name of the drone ship is "Of Course I Still Love You"  :deal:  :imaposer:

Maybe daylight videos will look better. This cell phone is supposed to have a pretty good camera...  Maybe I need a GoPro  :pot:  :peepwall:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 05:20:19 am by Mr Zog »

The following users thanked this post: buzzlightyear

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6914 on: February 22, 2019, 05:21:07 am »

That is a great idea! Connect a pi or Arduino to a weather station so that it can be completely automated!
Now that will be a project that will exhibit your super-Zogness

Ummm…. even the Zog has his limits  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #6915 on: February 22, 2019, 06:53:47 am »
Cool - thanks for posting  :thumleft:
Eat life!

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #6916 on: February 22, 2019, 03:47:24 pm »

The satellites deployed perfectly, and the booster rocket landed back on the drone ship too...  did you know that the name of the drone ship is "Of Course I Still Love You" :deal:  :imaposer:

Maybe daylight videos will look better. This cell phone is supposed to have a pretty good camera...  Maybe I need a GoPro  :pot:  :peepwall:

Sounds like the project has an Iain M Banks fan :laughing4:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #6917 on: February 23, 2019, 02:06:42 am »
Sorry for not posting for a while, Dogs. I've been really busy with extra work, and I'm also dealing with health issues.

First I had the scare with the lump, which resolved, but the meds made me super queasy. Unless it comes back, I'm in the clear. If it comes back, I will probably need surgery. For now, I consider it over and done.  :thumleft:

Then I was flattened by Mr. Zog's man flu. Thanks for sharing, it was nasty.

And now. Do you remember all my skincare problems over the last couple of years? I've been trying a gazillion potions and lotions to get rid of my chronically inflamed and discolored skin. I assumed it was caused by the creams/cleansers I was using. But no.

A few days ago I found out that it's actually a side effect of the daily medication I take. I realized this by glancing at the package insert as I was throwing it away. The words "skin discoloration, redness, and inflammation" jumped out at me. I did some research online. It is indeed directly caused by my meds. Also, once it has progressed to the kind of discoloration I have, it's pretty hard to get rid of. So. I have two options.

1. Continue taking the medication and put up with the skin issues, and accept that it will get worse and progress to a point where I will eventually need to see a dermatologist and have laser resurfacing, chemical peels, and prescription medication to keep my skin in a somewhat normal condition. Not an appealing option. Not to mention probably not financially possible.

2. Stop the medication and deal with some potentially severe pain. I remember how much pain I had before I started the meds, and it wasn't nice, to put it mildly. I had days where I could just lie in bed pale and sweating and moving was a major effort. If it goes ok, I can pick some targeted products and try to reverse the skin damage.

Unfortunately, switching to another medication is not really an option, all of the other meds in this class have pretty much the same side effects. Different meds, same shit.

So. Right now, I chose option 2 after consulting my Dr. I will use the meds until I run out in two weeks and then wing it. If the pain gets too bad, I will just have to take them again and see what I can do to keep my skin from looking like a disaster zone.

I'm tired. Sorry for the negativity. Not feeling very positive right now.   :-\ I probably shouldn't care so much about skin, but well, I do.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 02:08:51 am by Mrs. Zog »
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #6918 on: February 23, 2019, 04:57:17 am »
@Mrs. Zog, just so that I am the first to ask, what about treating the pain with THC oil?

Constant pain is not fun! Sterkte!
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #6919 on: February 23, 2019, 04:11:48 pm »
Not great to hear about the pain. Is the pain cause not perhaps diet related? Lots of new things are coming out wrt diets and the processed crap we eat .
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog