Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 863552 times)

Shukran and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mrs. Zog

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #6920 on: February 23, 2019, 11:38:30 pm »
Well, yes, THC oil... last year Florida voted on the use of medical marijuana in all forms (oil, smoking, chewables, powder etc.), and the overwhelming majority approved. So it's the law now, it should be widely available. But then some political waffles contested the law, so now it's in limbo. I think our new Governor, Ron de Santis, is trying to get it passed now, finally.

Right now, you can't smoke anything (that would make it "recreational" and therefore illegal). You have to have a doctor prescribe it for you, and you need to go to a specific dispensary to get it in some kind of chewable form (like gummies). To get a doctor's prescription for it, you have to have one of the severe "approved" chronic conditions on the list or be in the end stages of a terminal illness. Some of the "approved" conditions are end-stage cancer, multiple sclerosis, Crohn's disease, ALS (like what Joost vd Westhuizen had), etc.

I'm not in any of those categories. Of course, I could always go over to our friends' house and bum a smoke... {{{blushing furiously}}}. Move along, nothing to see here...  :o

It's not diet-related, I eat as well as I possibly can and avoid as much processed crap as I can... I exercise as much as time/schedule allows. I generally try to be as healthy as I can.

I did promise Mr. Zog a chicken pot pie very, very soon, though, and a carrot cake...  :biggrin:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #6921 on: February 24, 2019, 02:23:46 am »
Just some pics of the Coconut Inspection Team... and Maggie calling an Uber to get to the other side of the garden ;D

Edit: I can't get these to rotate correctly. I have asked Mr. Zog to post for me.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 02:50:26 am by Mrs. Zog »

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #6922 on: February 24, 2019, 03:04:29 am »
Lets see if they post correctly...  :sip:

EDIT: If one of the Mods can please rotate them correctly?  :peepwall:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 03:05:29 am by Mr Zog »
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6923 on: February 24, 2019, 03:26:23 am »
Another busy day for me.

This morning I started off by washing both my bakkie and Mrs Zog's car. Then I hooked up my trailer and took the bakkie and the trailer down to my friend's shop. He owns a small pharmacy, and he had asked me if he could borrow my bakkie and the trailer to move his daughter's stuff. She is 21, and she just got a job down in the Fort Lauderdale area (remember Fort Lauderdale, that's where the cops shot the infamous SA criminal Andre Stander. Don't ask me how I remember that, it was many years ago.)

Of course I agreed to loan him my truck and trailer, so I left it for him and used his old Chrysler skedonk to get back home. He'll bring the bakkie back either this evening or tomorrow morning, depending on what time he gets back. No stress.

Then I got busy with the fence. I pulled off the old vertical slats, but a couple of them were really vrot and broke, nonetheless I managed to just get enough to get the first two sections done. Tomorrow I'll try get to the next two, but it's going to be another scorcher tomorrow (88 deg F / 31 deg C with high humidity) so I'll see how far I get.

After the fence I grabbed the weed eater and trimmed the edges, then mowed the grass. While mowing the front yard I unfortunately hit the edge of the steel culvert under the driveway with one of the mower blades and bent it quite badly. Luckily I noticed quite quickly that the mower was cutting the grass way too short, so I cut the power to the blades and went back to my workshop. I pulled the mowing deck off and saw the blade was bent at a 90 deg angle. Eish.

I took the blade off and tried to straighten it in my vise with a big shifting spanner, but I could not get it right. The blade is spring steel, and hellofa hard. So I went off to Home Depot and got a new one. By the time I got home it was completely dark, so I'll get it fitted tomorrow and finish mowing the lawn.

Now relaxing with a Bud Light Lime...  :biggrin:

Oh, just for interest. I took a pic of the two big trees in our back yard on the 2nd Feb. The tree of the left still had a couple of old leaves that needed to fall off, and the tree on the right was completely bare. Today I took another pic. The tree on the left is completely bare, new leaves are just starting to form, and the tree on the right is already full of new leaves. Just three weeks apart. Impressive.  :thumleft:

I'm guessing another 3 weeks and the tree on the left will also be fully green again, and give us lots of shade in the back yard.
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #6924 on: February 24, 2019, 12:47:45 pm »
Well, yes, THC oil... last year Florida voted on the use of medical marijuana in all forms (oil, smoking, chewables, powder etc.), and the overwhelming majority approved. So it's the law now, it should be widely available. But then some political waffles contested the law, so now it's in limbo. I think our new Governor, Ron de Santis, is trying to get it passed now, finally.

Right now, you can't smoke anything (that would make it "recreational" and therefore illegal). You have to have a doctor prescribe it for you, and you need to go to a specific dispensary to get it in some kind of chewable form (like gummies). To get a doctor's prescription for it, you have to have one of the severe "approved" chronic conditions on the list or be in the end stages of a terminal illness. Some of the "approved" conditions are end-stage cancer, multiple sclerosis, Crohn's disease, ALS (like what Joost vd Westhuizen had), etc.

I'm not in any of those categories. Of course, I could always go over to our friends' house and bum a smoke... {{{blushing furiously}}}. Move along, nothing to see here...  :o

It's not diet-related, I eat as well as I possibly can and avoid as much processed crap as I can... I exercise as much as time/schedule allows. I generally try to be as healthy as I can.

I did promise Mr. Zog a chicken pot pie very, very soon, though, and a carrot cake... 
I was hoping you would comment on the uhm medical viability rather than on the political interference. Come on  aunty @mrs. Zog

Sent from my BV8000Pro using Tapatalk

XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #6925 on: February 24, 2019, 05:14:43 pm »
I was hoping you would comment on the uhm medical viability rather than on the political interference. Come on  aunty @Mrs. Zog

I'm not sure what you mean. Do I think it's effective for pain relief? I don't know, I haven't tried it.

Would I use it if I had access to it? Yes, if it works. I'm not morally opposed to smoking weed, if that's what you mean?

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #6926 on: February 24, 2019, 05:46:29 pm »
I was hoping you would comment on the uhm medical viability rather than on the political interference. Come on  aunty @Mrs. Zog

I'm not sure what you mean. Do I think it's effective for pain relief? I don't know, I haven't tried it.

Would I use it if I had access to it? Yes, if it works. I'm not morally opposed to smoking weed, if that's what you mean?
No,I was more hoping that you would share an medically/scientifically informed view on the use and effectiveness of THC wrt pain management as an alternative to traditional painkillers due to your reading/editing work and apparent intelligence wrt these subjects!
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #6927 on: February 24, 2019, 08:25:02 pm »

I did promise Mr. Zog a chicken pot pie very, very soon, though, and a carrot cake...  :biggrin:

Mrz Zog, although you eat healthy it might be a certain type of food (starch, meat, omega's etc) that causes it?

My mom cant eat apples for instance - 20min later and she has a migraine severe enough that warrants a visit to the doc for a shot.
I can't eat certain starches (white potatoes are the worst),  immediately flares up my gout and my left leg becomes very very eina.

Just thought I mention it for in case there is a pattern on your side.

The following users thanked this post: buzzlightyear

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6928 on: February 25, 2019, 03:13:05 am »
This morning I had to wait around a bit.

I thought that starting up the weed eater and mower at 7am on a Sunday would not be a good idea, the neighbours may find it annoying  :peepwall:

So I got to work inside my workshop, and quickly knocked together a key holder / shelf for the dining room. Now we have a place to hang our keys, and put the wallet/sunglasses etc. I made it from some scrap pine that I had in my workshop, then stained it to match the little dining room table I made, and the storage cupboard.

Mrs Zog likes it, and that is all that matters  :thumleft:

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6929 on: February 25, 2019, 03:32:35 am »
While I was waiting for the varnish / stain to dry I fired up the weed eater and did the front yard and the two outside sides of the property.

Then I mowed the grass with the new blades on the mower. They do make a difference, the old blades were actually very blunt. I'll sharpen the one old blade that is still ok, and keep it as a spare. The other fubar blade will just reside in the shed for now, I may decide to try my hand at knifemaking some day, and the old blade may just be useful for that...

By the time I was done mowing it was already very hot, so I took a break from the sun for a while. I phoned my mom and my son and had a good chat to both of them.

My friend also arrived with my bakkie and trailer, so we chatted for a while too. He left me an envelope in the bakkie, to say thanks for me loaning it to him. Inside the envelope was a gift voucher for Bass Pro Shops  8)  for $50  :eek7:  I had told him that I didn't want anything from him for loaning the bakkie, but he insisted, and he returned the truck with a full tank of fuel. Nice.

After he left I went off to the Home Depot and bought 15 fence slats. I had seen that too many of the old slats were completely vrot or broken, and I needed some extra to get the next two sections done.

Back home I climbed in and got the next two sections done. It was gruelling work in the heat and humidity, but I am satisfied with the result so far. It does look a bit weird with the new slats inbetween the old ones, but I'm going for strength and security (keeping the dogs INSIDE the yard security) rather than looks. And it is the side fence, with an open lot on the other side, so who cares  :imaposer:

Now I'll have to wait another two weeks until I get paid again so I can buy some more fence posts and concrete again for the next few sections. But thats ok too, I'm sure that I can find other stuff to do in the meantime  :ricky:

While I was waiting for the morning to pass before I started up the mower, Maggie decided that it was a great spot to sit and watch for any squirrels that may come to eat at the birdfeeder  :imaposer:

Then a few pics of the new sections of fence...

Offline immigrant

« Reply #6930 on: February 25, 2019, 03:50:47 am »
This is what my lawn looks like......It will be another 6 weeks before I even see a blade of grass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6931 on: February 25, 2019, 05:04:40 am »
This is what my lawn looks like......It will be another 6 weeks before I even see a blade of grass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need a snow blower...  :peepwall: :imaposer:

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #6932 on: February 25, 2019, 10:42:05 am »
You need a snow blower...  :peepwall: :imaposer:

Eish... I read snot blower.... :imaposer:
Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #6933 on: February 25, 2019, 04:29:54 pm »

Back home I climbed in and got the next two sections done. It was gruelling work in the heat and humidity, but I am satisfied with the result so far. It does look a bit weird with the new slats inbetween the old ones, but I'm going for strength and security (keeping the dogs INSIDE the yard security) rather than looks. And it is the side fence, with an open lot on the other side, so who cares  :imaposer:

Fence looks beautiful. The patina adds character. And it won't take long for the new slats to resemble the old ones  ;D
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #6934 on: February 26, 2019, 01:37:48 am »
No,I was more hoping that you would share an medically/scientifically informed view on the use and effectiveness of THC wrt pain management as an alternative to traditional painkillers due to your reading/editing work and apparent intelligence wrt these subjects!

Ah, ok, now I get it. Unfortunately, articles like that don't normally come my way. My subject matters are biological (organic) chemistry mainly, and also gene and cell therapy and neurology. But all at the molecular level, very rarely do I get an article with the "big picture." It's mostly about chemical bonds, amino acids, proteins, and gene editing.

I do think that THC has great potential to help a lot of people, if the politicians would just get over themselves and get sh*t done. :thumleft: I haven't done a deep dive into the science of it though.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #6935 on: February 26, 2019, 01:43:49 am »
Mrz Zog, although you eat healthy it might be a certain type of food (starch, meat, omega's etc) that causes it?

My mom cant eat apples for instance - 20min later and she has a migraine severe enough that warrants a visit to the doc for a shot.
I can't eat certain starches (white potatoes are the worst),  immediately flares up my gout and my left leg becomes very very eina.

Just thought I mention it for in case there is a pattern on your side.

No, it truly isn't food-related that I can tell... but I'll definitely keep an eye out for any patterns that may come up!  :thumleft:

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6936 on: February 26, 2019, 02:13:22 am »

Fence looks beautiful. The patina adds character. And it won't take long for the new slats to resemble the old ones  ;D

Thanks Ri  :thumleft:

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #6937 on: February 26, 2019, 09:45:29 am »
Looks like you are busy at Zogsville.

Love the pics of your driver though, now if she could complete the jobs, you would have a lot more time to go fishing.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #6938 on: February 26, 2019, 10:54:29 am »

Love the pics of your driver though, now if she could complete the jobs, you would have a lot more time to go fishing.

Meanwhile Maggie is thinking: "Why won't they give me the keys to this thing? I'm a responsible adult, I can TOTALLY drive this" :laughing4:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6939 on: February 27, 2019, 03:10:12 am »

Believe me, I have thought of giving her the keys  :peepwall:  :imaposer: