Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 867272 times)

Pumbaa and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline WheelieDog

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • DL650 VStrom
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #7040 on: March 25, 2019, 08:03:58 am »
Agreed Ri, the house is looking so much better with Mr Zog's magical touch. And his blood, sweat and tears :thumleft:

I swear the the soil in the USA is much softer than here in Africa. How else could anyone successfully dig so many holes at home, and at work?

For the love of it.

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #7041 on: March 25, 2019, 07:45:33 pm »
Maggie the friendly kitty Kat  :imaposer:

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #7042 on: March 26, 2019, 06:43:48 am »
The combination of American, DIY, boat and dog made me think of Mr Zog. But I am pretty sure its not him!  :pot:
Starting at 1:38
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 09:11:52 am by Blou Zebu »
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #7043 on: March 26, 2019, 09:09:03 am »
On the way home from the landfill I stopped at the Home Depot and bought the 2x4's and the fence planks I needed for the job. I also picked up a small box of long screws for attaching the 2x4's to the fence posts, as I was out of them.

Back home I measured and pre-cut the 2x4's because I wanted to make an early start the next morning, and starting up the chop-saw would wake the neighbours. Then I properly secured the end of the workshop so that Maggie couldn't crawl in under there and get her ass stuck... it's amazing how many roots and shit I had to dig out from under where the porch was. And the plastic cross-fencing that I used to secure the bottom of the shed came from an old section of fencing that was already here. I dug it down about 18 inches (45cm) just to be sure that the little digger couldn't get in under there.

This morning (Sunday) I was up bright and early and watched the sun come up with a cup of coffee. Then around 7am I started screwing the 2x4's to the fence posts, then I attached the planks to the 2x4's. You'll notice that I have 3 cross beams at the sides, but only 2 in the middle. That is because the middle will be removed again at some stage to become a gate when I have the money for the gate hardware (galvanised hinges etc). In the meantime it is just keeping the dogs in. I need to put a gate in because the septic tank is in the back on that side and when we need to get it pumped they'll need the access.

I finally got the fence finished, then I took down the temporary fence behind it. Dumped all the materials in the back in my woodpile that still needs to get sorted out. Another job for another day...  8)

MOOI

MOOI

MOOI.

YOU ARE GETTING A LOAD DONE AND IT LOOKS GREAT.

Amazed at the boat being dumped, but guess they do have a lifespan too.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #7044 on: March 27, 2019, 02:47:36 am »
Agreed Ri, the house is looking so much better with Mr Zog's magical touch. And his blood, sweat and tears :thumleft:

I swear the the soil in the USA is much softer than here in Africa. How else could anyone successfully dig so many holes at home, and at work?

Actually, you are right WheelieDog  :deal:

The ground here is sand. Beach sand. Very few places have any rocks, maybe some old coral etc...

Digging is a lot easier than in most parts of SA, but the holes also do tend to collapse in on themselves, just like on the beach, and that can be VERY dangerous. And in most places around here as soon as you get down to between 5 and 8 feet deep the water starts to fill the bottom of the hole faster than you can dig it. Digging the holes for the fence I used a "post hole digger" https://www.lowes.com/pd/truper-fgl-hndl-post-hole-digger/1000384759?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-lwn-_-bing-_-pla-_-179-_-lawnandgardentools-_-1000384759-_-0&kpid&k_clickID=bi_272385396_1300722424635845_81295183958968_pla-4584894771016473_c_&msclkid=7160d37dadba1406dbfc8fe764a05504

Mine doesn't have the fibreglass handles, or the soft grips, just wooden handles. But I also didn't pay $17 for mine, I got them for free when I cleaned out a house doing the handyman job  :biggrin:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7045 on: March 27, 2019, 03:01:26 am »
Here is a WTF story for y'all...

We have toll roads here, and most toll gates / gantries also have a couple of lanes where you can stop and pay (cash or credit / debit card) if you don't have an e-tag.

I have an e-tag in my bakkie, but my work van doesn't have one. The last time I towed my trailer to Lakeland I passed through a toll gate with the work van. I didn't stop to pay, because they will then automatically send a bill to the registered owner of the vehicle (my boss  :biggrin: ).

Yesterday I got a toll bill in the mail for two toll gates. The first one was for $2.45, the second was for $2.20. The also attached a picture of the vehicle taken by the toll gantry. Well, the picture they sent was of a car... definitely not my trailer. So today I called them, I wasn't going to pay for something I didn't do...

It took me all of around 2 minutes on hold to speak to a person, and I explained my story. The car in the picture had a very similar number plate to mine, just one letter was different. So I accepted it as an honest "finger-trouble" mistake when entering the details onto the computer. The guy I spoke to agreed that the second toll fee wasn't mine, but said that the first one was mine, he could see the picture and it was a trailer, even telling me that the number plate was fitted vertically and not horizontally. So I accepted that one, and asked him to help me to pay it. I just wanted to give him my debit card details over the phone and they would process payment of the $2.45.

He asked me to hold because he needed his supervisor to first separate the two tolls, or the payment would automatically be for both. I held for about a minute, then he came back on the line. He told me that his supervisor had removed the second bill, and because they were so sorry for the mistake, he had also cancelled the first one  :biggrin:

So now I am all good again, the toll fee bill was fixed immediately, AND they cancelled the first bill that actually was mine.

Now I guess the WTF moment for me was comparing this to the one time I actually did call e-toll back in SA....  :pot:  :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: silvrav

Offline Suzukli DL

« Reply #7046 on: March 27, 2019, 04:25:02 am »
 :thumleft: Awesome

..... but here is a WTF from this side of the pond, as far as I know our etolls are run by software recognition. (It still fails)  :imaposer:

Anyway back to WTF, are all toll gates manned and read that way?  job creation  and people that want to work comes to mind.

Mr and Mrs Zog, thanks for the read, it is always enlightening great to see how the move is made possible.
Determination and hard work  :thumleft:

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #7047 on: March 27, 2019, 06:28:06 am »
Yep - love reading your stories Mr Zog - it's the first page I come to when logging onto Wilddog's - and I get withdrawal symptoms when there's no post from you - but it's all good - I understand you can't post every day.

THANK YOU! for keeping me entertained  :thumleft:
Eat life!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #7048 on: March 27, 2019, 10:17:04 am »
Do they do proper recycling Gary?

After reading 'dumping a boat' it just made me think that recycling should be big.
Shocking to see how many people are actually living on dump yards (within the actual perimeters!) In Brits and Pretoria North's dump yards. They dont leave a thing untouched and that after the garbage bags and bins were already raided on the streets.
I did see proper recycling is a bit more serious in Western Cape.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7049 on: March 28, 2019, 02:35:31 am »
:thumleft: Awesome

..... but here is a WTF from this side of the pond, as far as I know our etolls are run by software recognition. (It still fails)  :imaposer:

Anyway back to WTF, are all toll gates manned and read that way? job creation  and people that want to work comes to mind.

Mr and Mrs Zog, thanks for the read, it is always enlightening great to see how the move is made possible.
Determination and hard work  :thumleft:

I'm pretty sure that most of the tolls are done by number plate recognition software. But the picture that they sent me (of the car) was very unclear, so that's why it was probably done manually.

At the toll gates that give you the opportunity to stop and pay they are generally unmanned. You can either dump the correct change into a basket that then counts it and gives you a green light, or you can swipe your debit / credit card. Very little human interaction.  :thumleft:

I really don't mind paying the tolls here. You can see the money being spent on repairing / improving / maintaining the roads.  :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7050 on: March 28, 2019, 02:37:57 am »
Yep - love reading your stories Mr Zog - it's the first page I come to when logging onto Wilddog's - and I get withdrawal symptoms when there's no post from you - but it's all good - I understand you can't post every day.

Thanks TeeJay, it's messages like that that keep me posting when I'd rather be doing something else.  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7051 on: March 28, 2019, 02:42:48 am »
Do they do proper recycling Gary?

After reading 'dumping a boat' it just made me think that recycling should be big.
Shocking to see how many people are actually living on dump yards (within the actual perimeters!) In Brits and Pretoria North's dump yards. They dont leave a thing untouched and that after the garbage bags and bins were already raided on the streets.
I did see proper recycling is a bit more serious in Western Cape.

They do do proper recycling here. We (all) have two bins at our house. One for garbage, one for recycling. We put paper/cardboard, glass, and plastic into the recycle bin. Household trash goes into the trash can. The bins are collected by separate trucks, fully automated, only a driver onboard (no crews to empty the bins into the truck).

At the municipal recycle depot they separate the stuff, and then it gets sent to various places for recycling. Only the trash gets into the landfill, and the landfills are the biggest, tallest structures in the entire County  :deal:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7052 on: March 28, 2019, 02:49:50 am »
I'll be away for a couple of days again.

Tomorrow I will be up at 04:30 to be at work at 05:45. Heading back to Lakeland (near Tampa) for two days (maybe three) to finish off the last dialysis clinic project I did a few weeks ago.

Today we had a major weather event, up in Melbourne where the office is we had a massive storm. Winds of over 50 MILES per hour, and hail up to 2 inches (50mm), Lots of damage, flooding, and damage from the wind.

I had the steel door to the workshop blow out of my hand, and when I turned around to get it and close it the wind blew it closed again. The door hit me in the head and knocked me the fuck out. Well, not completely out, but I was completely stunned for a few seconds, and fell back over the desk. Took a few seconds before I could steady myself... now I have a lump on my head and a sore neck. Eish...  :o

The weekend weather looks good. I really hope I can get a chance to go fishing  :-\

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #7053 on: March 28, 2019, 03:36:15 am »
Back in ZA, that knock would have given you a week off on sick leave !
I guess wackers in USA have a different work ethic...?
HEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #7054 on: March 28, 2019, 10:04:13 am »
I'll be away for a couple of days again.

Tomorrow I will be up at 04:30 to be at work at 05:45. Heading back to Lakeland (near Tampa) for two days (maybe three) to finish off the last dialysis clinic project I did a few weeks ago.

Today we had a major weather event, up in Melbourne where the office is we had a massive storm. Winds of over 50 MILES per hour, and hail up to 2 inches (50mm), Lots of damage, flooding, and damage from the wind.

I had the steel door to the workshop blow out of my hand, and when I turned around to get it and close it the wind blew it closed again. The door hit me in the head and knocked me the fuck out. Well, not completely out, but I was completely stunned for a few seconds, and fell back over the desk. Took a few seconds before I could steady myself... now I have a lump on my head and a sore neck. Eish...  :o

The weekend weather looks good. I really hope I can get a chance to go fishing  :-\
Sorry but the way you told the door story is so funny I had a good chuckle. I would of immediately stripped my moer and slammed the door of its hinges (true story something similar happened years ago)
May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline Ganjora

« Reply #7055 on: March 28, 2019, 10:27:38 am »
heard about another shooting,  this time in seatle.
are you ok mr zog?

Offline tulips

• Bike: Peugeot (all models)
« Reply #7056 on: March 28, 2019, 11:41:43 am »

Thanks TeeJay, it's messages like that that keep me posting when I'd rather be doing something else.  :thumleft:
Roughly 7000 posts 700 000 Views. Your Viewers are out there do not despair keep at it, Thanks

Ganjora  :imaposer: you're a  chop but a funny dry chop
Very funny Mr Geller can i please get my bike back

Offline Suzukli DL

« Reply #7057 on: March 28, 2019, 02:59:53 pm »
I would pay good money to see that door story Mr Zog  :laughing4: any CCTV footage?

Seriously though, I hope the nexk gets better quick.

Still -  :spitcoffee:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7058 on: March 31, 2019, 02:46:49 am »
heard about another shooting,  this time in seatle.
are you ok mr zog?

Just a minor flesh wound through my chest. I sutured it myself using a fish hook and some dental floss, after I sterilised the wound with rum  :thumleft:  O0
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 02:50:39 am by Mr Zog »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7059 on: March 31, 2019, 03:23:43 am »
So Thursday morning I headed off to Lakeland again.

Because the equipment I needed to complete the job hadn't been delivered to the jobsite on time, I was delayed by two weeks. But the other trades weren't delayed. So by the time I got back there the ceiling guys had put in the suspended ceilings, and the cabinet guys had put on all the counter tops. The covers for all the chases (boxes that run down the wall that contain the piping I was running) had been fitted too.

This all made the job I had to do all the more difficult and time consuming. By the end of Friday we had only done about 2/3rds of what we normally got done in 2 days. I did think about staying another night and getting it done Saturday, but I decided against that. I had just too many things I need to get done at home, not to forget that I was already missing Mrs Zog and the dogs... So we called at a day after two 12-hour days and headed home.

This morning I started off by driving down to meet a friend of mine (another ex South African) who had offered me two used ceiling fans and a stationary bicycle. We chatted for a few minutes, then I headed back home and offloaded the stash. The fans need some cleaning, but are otherwise good, and the bicycle is a Reebok brand that looks awfully fancy! Mrs Zog will figure it out I'm sure  :thumleft:

Then I popped off to Home Depot to get a 12 foot long pressure treated 2x4. At the Home Depot I bumped into yet another ex SA buddy, Pieter. He was loading some roofing stuff for a gazebo he had built. Back home I cut about 4 inches off the 2x4, then screwed it onto the side of my workshop. I attached the mounting bracket for the awning to the 2x4, then I fitted the 9 foot wide awning that I had brought along from the old house, that I had originally salvaged from a job during my handyman life....  :biggrin:

The awning looks good on the shed, and it works really well.  :thumleft:
Then I decided to build a small little area to the side of the shed door where I could keep my braai, and do the braaiing too when it was either hot sun or raining. I made a frame work out of the last bits of the old 2x4's that I took off the old fence, and fitted 6 18"x 18"pavers into it. Then I used two old bits of 4x4 fence posts, and some spare bits of 2x4, and the shorty fence plankies that I had already used 3 times, to build a little "lapa" around my braai area  :ricky:

When it was all done we decided to have a braai. Mrs Zog had found two small pieces of fillet that we had received from wherethefuckarewe last year, and she marinated 20 of the prawns that I had received from my buddy that I did the doors for. She put the prawns on skewers, and I cooked them all on the braai. She also made a lovely salad, and a bowl of fresh guacamole (avo).

Lets just say that supper was brilliant (and healthy too)  :biggrin:

I was going to take the little Jon boat out tomorrow, I even pulled it out with the mower to be able to hitch it up in the morning more easily. But I changed my mind. I still have so many little jobs that need doing at home. Maybe I'll just drive up to the local pond very early tomorrow morning for an hour or two.  :sip:

pics:
1-3 remember what the shed / workshop looked like after I took down the porch last weekend?
4-7 the new awning and the braai area
8-10 cooking the meat, and supper  :biggrin: