Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 862533 times)

allan.cawood, motosa and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Karel84

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #7080 on: April 03, 2019, 03:38:07 am »
I did not have a good day  :xxbah:

I'll not get into details, but a co-worker really pissed me off, and I'm getting piled with more and more work, more than I can handle. Remember that Florida is a "right to work"  State, I'm not completely sure what that means, except that an employer can fire you on the spot for no reason at all.

I need this job, so I bite my tongue. But I will have to raise the subject with the boss at some time in the near future.

Carrying on like this will kill me.

Rant over. Sorry for the kak post.
Well it's a shame you had a kak day, but at least it shows you're at least (semi) human! Keep Zogging, boss. Things will eventually sort themselves out

Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #7081 on: April 03, 2019, 03:47:56 am »
 :eek7:

Strongs, Mr Zog ...!!!

Work stress is a killer.
I put in for retirement three months early because I could see work stress taking its toll on me.

Avoid the confrontations and retreat into yourself.
Close your eyes and go to a happy place in your head - think of fishing on the jonboat with your son and with your dad's memory.
Deep breathe - slowly i-n and slowly o-u-t.
Calm yourself until you can get to a place and time where you can work the stress off in loud energetic exercise.

Pick up a punching bag somewhere.
Chop wood.
Hammer nails into 4x4's.
(Swear a lot in Afrikaans when you do the burn off)

I also find power naps help calm me down.
Ten minutes flat on my back on a hard floor with my feet elevated on a chair.

Zog, there are scores of supporters rooting for you here.
Draw on that support and take it into your emotional reserves.

Get Mrs Zog to give you a back scratch when you get home.
If she hasn't got the fingernails, use a soft, long strand nylon brush.
Have her draw it smoothly back and forth across your bare skin - it's an amazing relaxant.

We love you, man !   :thumleft:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 06:40:19 am by Fudmucker »
HEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #7082 on: April 03, 2019, 04:50:52 am »
What Fudmucker said!
I am going unemployed from next week due to the work circumstances deteriorating over the last few years to the point where my family were exstatic when I came home and said that we need to decide if I take their last cut or leave?
I only handled it for the years by reminding myself that I did it to provide for the people that I love!
I got it in my mind that I just went there with my body, but that my mind was in a happy place, divorced from all the work pressure!
Once my last dependants were out of the house, it became unbearable!
When I was really down, guys here picked it up without me saying it and lifted me up!
After this long story, boet you are strong with good support and just glide over this bump and leave your heart at home and take your body to work!
We love you and know what a good person you are!
Hang in there, things will improve! :thumleft:
I would send you a hug, but scared that some of the okes here will get the wrong idea! :imaposer: :peepwall:
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #7083 on: April 03, 2019, 06:28:16 am »

....I would send you a hug, but scared that some of the okes here will get the wrong idea! :imaposer: :peepwall:

I am beyond caring what some okes here think about men giving hugs.

Zog, here's a BIG BEAR HUG from me !  ;D

PS: https://www.mcrazlaw.com/getting-your-terms-right-right-to-work-vs-at-will-employment/

http://www.nrtw.org/right-to-work-states/

« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 06:35:37 am by Fudmucker »

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #7084 on: April 03, 2019, 01:24:12 pm »
All the best to you Gary... working under that type of "pressure" is uncomfortable, to say the least. At the end of this month it will be 2 years since I walked off the job and called it a day. 37 years of shift work eventually caught up with me, making me grumpy and unpleasant to be with. The manager had no feel for the operation, but because she was Mrs Manager, only her word counted for anything. She was gutless, didn't look after her staff, and was unpopular with many of the crew as well.

My wife said I changed for the better after leaving the job...

Long hours and only one weekend per month off eventually got to me and I put my time in, at the age of 58. Things were good, until my wife was retrenched a year ago... things are tough right now, but we still (at this stage anyway) have a roof over our heads.

Vasbyt!
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #7085 on: April 03, 2019, 05:35:57 pm »
What they all said, but be careful. Hammering nails into 4x4's is a bit extreme.

Stick to pieces of wood. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7086 on: April 04, 2019, 01:55:37 am »
Pick up a punching bag somewhere.

We have one. I use it all the time. I swear a lot, too. Worse than a sailor.  :thumleft:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7087 on: April 04, 2019, 02:10:35 am »
So yesterday. Big excitement, and all my fault.

I forgot that the lawn service company was coming to do the lawn. They had a contract with the previous owners, and we took it over. It's not that expensive, and it keeps the lawn fire ant-free. They also apply all the seasonal stuff like weed killer, the right kind of fertilizer, etc. The best thing is, all their treatments are pet-safe. They come every 8 weeks. Well worth it. Our lawn is great. Anyway.

I forgot they were coming, after calling them 2 days ago to see what time they were coming so I could be here...  :o). So I left to go grocery shopping. Maggie was locked inside and Sammy in the Florida room/porch but with dog flap access to the garden.

When I got home, I saw the sign that they put up to notify you that they've sprayed. First thought was, oh shit! I hope Sam is still here! (They come in through the side garden gate). Sam was there, but he was beside himself. He was all over me in a frenzy. He was obviously trying to tell me "there was a MAN here, IN THE GARDEN!" So I calmed him down, which took a while and some scratching and some biscuits, and called Rob, our trusty "lawn technician."

I apologized profusely for leaving Sam out and forgetting, and Rob said no problem. He said Sammy is a sweetie. Rob came in through the side gate, and Sammy whuffled at him once but was clearly terrified of Rob and the backpack-type spray thing apparatus. Rob said, "I told him it's ok, to go back inside, and he did, and he never came back out."

I had to laugh. It's so typically Sammy. He must have been terrified. Poor soul. He was an upset, quivering mess when I got home. I hope no one ever breaks in. Sammy will die of fright. Maggie will kill the intruder and rip him to shreds.  :imaposer:

The following users thanked this post: Bikerboer1973

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #7088 on: April 04, 2019, 03:23:58 am »
I woke up feeling a bit better today.

Had another long day, come 4pm I get sent off to another job, old lady fell over and broke the pipe off at the wall. She is ok, but the pipe wasn't. She couldn't get the shut off valve closed, so she pulled the power cable out of the pump.

Was a bitch of a job repairing the pipe right in the wall (one of those houses that has concrete walls), but finally got it sorted, and also fitted a new shut off valve for her.

Fired up the pump, tested it all, good.

She was very happy, the bill was a lot less than she was expecting, her doggie was friendly, and I scored a $10 tip  :biggrin:

Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #7089 on: April 04, 2019, 05:29:38 am »
Glad to hear you're feeling stronger, Zog !
Must be all the love going over your way...!

Ms Zog, I recall a sign I once saw:

BEWARE !
Dangerous watch dog
He'll lick you to death!

We don't use poisons in our garden.
Our insecticides are a family of hadedas and a visiting hedgehog that lives somewhere in the area.
We used to have noisy crickets every evening.
None now.

Anyone know of an animal that eats cockroaches?

Offline Mr. Python

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Carpe Canum
« Reply #7090 on: April 04, 2019, 10:36:25 am »
I'm too scared they'll kill my bees or my fish.
Life ....  when I was younger I had all these cool brave quotes and tag lines .... then life happened  ... and I have no socialialy acceptable  words 😶

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7091 on: April 04, 2019, 04:55:55 pm »
I understand your position re: chemicals on the lawn, Fudmucker and Mr. Python. I agree 100%. I'm worried about the bees too.

HOWEVER.

If you've ever had a fire ant infestation in your garden and accidentally stepped on a fire ant nest... There is no pain quite like it. It BURNS LIKE FIRE (hence the name), for days, and the bites easily become an infected mess. Then they become an itchy kind of hell.

I will do whatever it takes, short of napalm and a flame thrower, to prevent these f*ckers from setting up residence in my garden.  :pot:

From Wikipedia:

A typical fire ant colony produces large mounds in open areas, and feeds mostly on young plants and seeds. Fire ants often attack small animals and can kill them. Unlike many other ants, which bite and then spray acid on the wound, fire ants bite only to get a grip and then sting (from the abdomen) and inject a toxic alkaloid venom called solenopsin, a compound from the class of piperidines. For humans, this is a painful sting, a sensation similar to what one feels when burned by fire (hence the name), and the after effects of the sting can be deadly to sensitive people.[7] Fire ants are more aggressive than most native species, so have pushed many species away from their local habitat. One such species that Solenopsis ants parasitically take advantage of are bees, such as Euglossa imperialis, a nonsocial orchid bee species, from which the ants would enter the cells from below the nest and rob the cell's contents.[8] These ants are renowned for their ability to survive extreme conditions. They do not hibernate, but can survive cold conditions, although this is costly to fire ant populations as observed during several winters in Tennessee, where 80 to 90% of colonies died due to several consecutive days of extremely low temperatures.[9]

Fire ants nest in the soil, often near moist areas, such as river banks, pond shores, watered lawns, and highway shoulders. Usually, the nest will not be visible, as it will be built under objects such as timber, logs, rocks, or bricks. If no cover for nesting is available, dome-shaped mounds are constructed, but these are usually only found in open spaces, such as fields, parks, and lawns. These mounds can reach heights of 40 cm (16 in),[4] but can be even higher on heavier soils, standing at 1.0 m (3 ft 3 in) in height and 1.5 m (4 ft 11 in) in diameter.[12] Colonies are founded by small groups of queens or single queens. Even if only one queen survives, within a month or so, the colony can expand to thousands of individuals. Some colonies may be polygynous (having multiple queens per nest).[13]

Fire ants are resilient and can survive floods. During Hurricane Harvey in Texas in 2017, clumps of fire ants, known as rafts, were seen clumped together on the surface of the water. Each clump had as many as 100,000 individual ants, which formed a temporary structure until finding a new permanent home.[14]

Fire ants dig tunnels efficiently using about 30% of the population of the colony, thereby avoiding congestion in tunnels.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7092 on: April 04, 2019, 04:59:08 pm »

Sammy.  :thumleft:

Online Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #7093 on: April 04, 2019, 06:10:49 pm »

Sammy.  :thumleft:

Geckos. I came into the kitchen once and a gecko was eyeing me from the door frame. A cockroach strolls by and it nonchalantly gobbles it up, still staring me straight in the eye. Always knew there was a reason I love geckos :biggrin:

Strongs Mr Zog. When you go see the boss, keep it calm and factual. Just a few more years and you'll have your qualification.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #7094 on: April 04, 2019, 07:11:51 pm »
Fire ants................just glad I live where it freezes and cuts down on all the creep crawly.

Mr. Zog have that talk with the Boss Man. I run crew real hard in the busy time of the year, 60 to 70 hours a week, (they are well paid for their effort, can top $10,000 month). But to make this work I know I have to listen when they say they need to have a few days with the wife and kids. You are making the company money if they know what is good for them they will listen to your concerns and make it work for both.

"Right to work"  means they can not force you to join a union. Washington is not a right to work state but I have still fired a few on the spot, for what I thought was good reason.

You need a day fishing, that fixes a lot of head stress. Or for me it is a day on the motorcycle.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7095 on: April 06, 2019, 02:53:58 am »
Fire ants................just glad I live where it freezes and cuts down on all the creep crawly.

Mr. Zog have that talk with the Boss Man. I run crew real hard in the busy time of the year, 60 to 70 hours a week, (they are well paid for their effort, can top $10,000 month). But to make this work I know I have to listen when they say they need to have a few days with the wife and kids. You are making the company money if they know what is good for them they will listen to your concerns and make it work for both.

"Right to work"  means they can not force you to join a union. Washington is not a right to work state but I have still fired a few on the spot, for what I thought was good reason.

You need a day fishing, that fixes a lot of head stress. Or for me it is a day on the motorcycle.

Thanks for that info Camino Cerdo.  :thumleft:

$10 000.00 per month  :eek7:  I'm lucky if I see that in 4 months  :o 
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7096 on: April 06, 2019, 03:03:16 am »
It's been another hectic few days.

Yesterday afternoon after work I get into my bakkie to go home, turn the key, and FOKKOL  :eek7:

Battery was stone dead.

So I called the boss and got permission to go home in the work van. This morning at the shop I put the bakkie battery on charge, and managed to get it started this afternoon. So on the way home I stop at the store where I bought the battery over a year ago. Not having much hope, because I believed that the warranty was only for a year.

The dude at the store took a super fancy battery tester and checked the battery for me. Turns out the battery was fried, less than half the CCA's (cold cranking amps) it should have, and the storage capacity was almost nil.

Eish.

Dude looks me up on his computer, and takes a new battery off the shelf. Tells me the battery is still under warranty, and fits the new battery for me.

Done, dusted, and not a penny out of my pocket  :biggrin:

Turns out the warranty is 2 years, and the new one now has a warranty until 2021  :ricky:

Thank goodness, because I seriously don't have the $140 for a new battery  :-[

Tomorrow I am working again, I am doing a major installation at a high-rise office block. Replacing the booster pumps that supply water to the upper floors. If I remember I'll get some before, during, and after pics...  ::) 

Let the overtime flow....  :ricky:

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #7097 on: April 06, 2019, 05:17:09 am »
Nice one with the battery!
Wish I could have checked my Tetanus injection like that.  :peepwall: Had one just to make sure though! Bad memory hurts! :imaposer:
Strongs with the work situation my friend, I did the best thing in years and finished off at work yesterday!
Now doing the responsible thing!
I am loaded and leaving for Nam in the rain this morning! :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Sorry for you having to work, I will think of you and wonder what you have been up to! :pot:
Keep your spirit up, you are a good strong man with a good missus standing by you and a good kid looking up to his dad!
Dakar 650
KLR650

The following users thanked this post: desertfox

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7098 on: April 07, 2019, 04:46:41 am »
I.  am.   FUBAR.

Left home just before 7am, got to the shop and clocked in at 7:30. Packed some last things into the van and drove to the jobsite, arrived just before 8.

Boss man arrived just after 8, and I got busy removing the old pumps and all their paraphenalia. I had already removed the front manifold when I remebered to get a pic for y'all.

Boss man was wiring up the electronics in the panel that I had put together a week or so ago. I just fitted the main components and did the wiring between the breakers and the VFD drive controllers (VFD - Variable Frequency Drive, basically pumps that run at various speeds the keep the correct water pressure required.)

I got all the old stuff out, including the steel "skid" that the old pumps were mounted on. I got the boss to help me with that because it was effing heavy, at least 300 kgs  :eek7:  But it was old and rusted to shit and too small for the layout we were planning.

see pics below, before, and after removal, the pile of scrap parts, and the steel "skid".

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7099 on: April 07, 2019, 05:08:38 am »
The dude in the above pic is the building manager.

He got to see for himself how bad the old pumps were, and how corroded the insides of the old pipes and the pumps were.

I replumbed the whole shebang. I used schedule 80 PVC, that is the gray stuff. I used 3 inch pipe for the feed and pressure side of the system, 2 inch pipe for each pump, and 1 inch for the pressure tank. The schedule 80 PVC in 3 inch can withstand pressures of 370 psi at temps of 73 degrees F. The system we installed is designed to operate between 70 psi and 85 psi, so no worries there, and the PVC pipes don't corrode up like the copper or steel pipes do.

I do think that the layout is greatly improved, allowing much easier access to components for servicing and repair. And I was very chuffed when we pressured up the system this evening and there were no leaks.

The two pics below are of the completed system, the dude with the beard is the boss man.

I got back to the shop afterwards and repacked all my tools back into my van, and clocked out at 8:30pm. A 13 hour shift.

That's why I am fubar. off to bed now.  :biggrin: