Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 828741 times)

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #7100 on: April 07, 2019, 07:19:19 am »
Good piping installations are a thing of beauty in themselves!  :thumleft:

Do you get 135 degree junctions and 45 degree bends as well?
Reason I ask is that where the flow is in one direction, the pressure loss is reduced using 2x45 bends instead of a 90.
Similarly, a 135 junction is more efficient in reducing pressure loss.
The client gets the same water delivery for less energy use.
LIFE'S MUCH COOLER WITHOUT UNDERWEAR,
Life-long supporter of the "Free the Nipple" movement
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I'm far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #7101 on: April 07, 2019, 08:01:42 am »
The dude in the above pic is the building manager.

He got to see for himself how bad the old pumps were, and how corroded the insides of the old pipes and the pumps were.

I replumbed the whole shebang. I used schedule 80 PVC, that is the gray stuff. I used 3 inch pipe for the feed and pressure side of the system, 2 inch pipe for each pump, and 1 inch for the pressure tank. The schedule 80 PVC in 3 inch can withstand pressures of 370 psi at temps of 73 degrees F. The system we installed is designed to operate between 70 psi and 85 psi, so no worries there, and the PVC pipes don't corrode up like the copper or steel pipes do.

I do think that the layout is greatly improved, allowing much easier access to components for servicing and repair. And I was very chuffed when we pressured up the system this evening and there were no leaks.

The two pics below are of the completed system, the dude with the beard is the boss man.

I got back to the shop afterwards and repacked all my tools back into my van, and clocked out at 8:30pm. A 13 hour shift.

That's why I am fubar. off to bed now.  :biggrin:

Fokken  smart.

Lovely job Gary.

NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Ganjora

« Reply #7102 on: April 07, 2019, 09:20:29 am »
Nicely done.

Offline RobbieJZW

« Reply #7103 on: April 07, 2019, 11:05:42 am »
Awesome work Gary! Hopefully the next person to work on it will be grateful for your thoughtful endeavours!
Happy Sunday to you & Mrs Zog

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #7104 on: April 07, 2019, 04:15:45 pm »
It's a damn shame they don't pay you fully for your skills and diligence Mr Z. You clearly do an artisan's job, qualified or not. There must be hundreds of 'fast tracked' so-called artisans in this country with half your abilities. The system stinks!

Offline Vuurmaker

« Reply #7105 on: April 07, 2019, 04:47:06 pm »
It's a damn shame they don't pay you fully for your skills and diligence Mr Z. You clearly do an artisan's job, qualified or not. There must be hundreds of 'fast tracked' so-called artisans in this country with half your abilities. The system stinks!
Correct

And a job like that would have taken a week to do

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #7106 on: April 08, 2019, 03:32:59 am »
Thanks for all the compliments guys  :thumleft: :biggrin:

This morning I woke up bright and early as usual. My plan for the day was to build a ramp into the shed / workshop and to mow the lawn.

I went off to Home Depot and bought two 6" x 2" by 12 foot beams that I got them to cut in half for me. I wanted the ramp to be 6 foot long top get a nice gentle slope, so buying the 8 foot beams would have meant wastage. I also got a box of 3.5" outdoor screws to attach the beams to the posts on the ground.

Back home I attached the older 2" x 8" beam that I had to the side of the shed below the door. I left a 3/4 inch gap above it so that the walkway I will install on the ramp will still allow the doors to open unhindered, but without leaving a big step-up into the shed that will mean more effort trying to wheel stuff in. Then I sunk 6  4" x 4" offcuts into the ground to anchor the ramp securely and be able to carry the weight of the Jon boat or my lawn tractor.

Then I cut the edges of the 6 foot beams that I had bought at an angle so that they sit nice and flush against the side of the shed and set the angles and levels just right. I used an older piece of 2x6 as the footer. To neaten it all up, and to prevent a little black-and-white doggie from squeezing in under the ramp I fitted a row of cut up fence pickets to each side of the ramp.

Just as I was ready to take my final measurements so I could calculate how many boards I would need for the top of the ramp the phone rang  :xxbah:

I am on call this week and I got called out. So I put away my tools and stuff, had a quick shower, and headed off to the shop to get my work van. Then off to the jobsite to fix a broken water pipe. By the time I got home it was getting dark so I called it for the day. I fed the squirrels and the birds and chilled out.

Mrs Zog had made delicious pot-pies for supper with beef and Guinness filling  :drif:   

I'll be off to bed soon, it's been a busy weekend. And I'll have to see if I get home early enough one afternoon this week to mow the lawn...  :sip:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Online Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #7107 on: April 08, 2019, 04:59:38 am »
It sucks when you have to stop halfway through a job.
It is looking good so far!
Hehe, my lawn was to be cut this weekend and now son or my mate will have to as I left home Sat morning early on my way to Loxton via Smithfield!
I trust you will get time during the week for the lawn and maybe even a bit of work on the ramp.
I will think off you as I ride my bike :peepwall: 
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #7108 on: April 08, 2019, 06:39:47 am »
Zog, we love sharing in your handiwork !   (Is there enough place to sit between the ramp and the braai?)

However, we would also like to share in Mrs Zogs cooking!
Beef in Guinness pie...
I can taste it here ! :drif:
LIFE'S MUCH COOLER WITHOUT UNDERWEAR,
Life-long supporter of the "Free the Nipple" movement
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I'm far too short to be taken too seriously.

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline ican

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • It is never too late to have a happy childhood!
« Reply #7109 on: April 08, 2019, 03:43:19 pm »
Awesome stuff on the boerie score! Is it just me though, or did the pics not upload so lekker? I'm really keen to see what that hammock looks like!

Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

I have the same problem. The pics donít show properly.
On the other threads they are fine. Anybody know if there is a setting in Tapatalk l should look at?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In a world full of people, only some want to fly... Isn't that crazy?

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7110 on: April 09, 2019, 02:56:41 am »
Awesome stuff on the boerie score! Is it just me though, or did the pics not upload so lekker? I'm really keen to see what that hammock looks like!

Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

I have the same problem. The pics donít show properly.
On the other threads they are fine. Anybody know if there is a setting in Tapatalk l should look at?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It must be your phone, or tapatalk or something. I resize the pics and upload them directly to the forum. No third party like photobucket involved.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7111 on: April 09, 2019, 03:00:01 am »
Zog, we love sharing in your handiwork !   (Is there enough place to sit between the ramp and the braai?)

However, we would also like to share in Mrs Zogs cooking!
Beef in Guinness pie...
I can taste it here ! :drif:

Nope, there is not enough space to sit between the ramp and the braai. However I have a cunning idea to build a small wedge-shaped box that will give me a level surface to put a chair on  :thumleft:

Sharing in Mrs Zog's cooking is really simple; buy a plane ticket to Orlando, and come spend a few weeks.  :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7112 on: April 09, 2019, 03:01:46 am »
It sucks when you have to stop halfway through a job.
It is looking good so far!
Hehe, my lawn was to be cut this weekend and now son or my mate will have to as I left home Sat morning early on my way to Loxton via Smithfield!
I trust you will get time during the week for the lawn and maybe even a bit of work on the ramp.
I will think off you as I ride my bike :peepwall:

Thanks Hennie  :thumleft:

Enjoy your retirement, and enjoy the ride to Loxton. The last time I saw that town name was in a book by Deon Meyer  :deal:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7113 on: April 09, 2019, 03:17:21 am »
I did get finished with work with some daylight left.

So after popping in at home very quickly to refresh my memory on the dimensions I headed off to the Home Depot.

I originally wanted to use the composite board decking material. But a single 12 foot long by 5.5 inch wide plank was $25  :eek7:  and I needed 7 planks to get the job done, so that would be $175 plus 7% sales tax. Not gonna happen  :xxbah:

So I went with normal wood, pressure treated lumber that should last well over 10 years, at just $8 per 12 foot piece. I got them cut to exact size too, made transporting and installing them much easier.

On the way home I saw a big storm approaching, so I made haste. I offloaded the planks and got to work screwing them down. I spaced them at about 4mm, the thickness of my little square's blade  :biggrin:

I did have to trim one plank where it touched the pillar of the braai corner, but that was it. All done in about 30 minutes, and put the tools away just as the first raindrops started falling.

Perfect timing.  8)  Now I'm sitting here listening to the sweet rain falling on the roof. Nice  :biggrin:

SpaceX is launching their second ever Falcon 9 HEAVY this week. It was originally supposed to go up on Sunday evening, but was delayed because the static fire test was delayed. Then it was supposed to go up tomorrow eveing but this weather front passing through has snookered that. Now it is scheduled to launch on Wednesday at 6:36pm local time. There is a 2 hour launch window. This will be a good one, it will make lots of fire at the back, and will definitely rattle the windows of the buildings up in Cocoa Beach. If the wind is right we will also hear it here at home.  :ricky:  Anyone want another crappy cell phone video of it?  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #7114 on: April 09, 2019, 06:35:42 am »
That looks very neat, and a deck next to it for your braai will finish it off nicely :thumleft:

Go ahead and post the crappy cell phone video - you know you want to :imaposer: (and thanks yes I'd enjoy it)
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3005,00 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline OomD

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #7115 on: April 09, 2019, 06:53:20 am »
Man I would love to be able to see a rocket launch live! I envy you, Mr. Zog. But your crappy cellphone vid will have to do. Please! :thumleft:

Nice work on the piping earlier, I look at that and wonder if other people also see the beauty in such craftmanship, or is it just me that considers it to be an artwork? Anyway, well done there!

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7116 on: April 09, 2019, 11:28:37 pm »
Sharing in Mrs Zog's cooking is really simple; buy a plane ticket to Orlando, and come spend a few weeks.  :thumleft:

Wild Dogs always welcome in our house  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: desertfox, CraigRK

Offline Mr. Python

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Carpe Canum
« Reply #7117 on: April 10, 2019, 08:31:11 am »
Man I would love to be able to see a rocket launch live! I envy you, Mr. Zog. But your crappy cellphone vid will have to do. Please! :thumleft:

Nice work on the piping earlier, I look at that and wonder if other people also see the beauty in such craftmanship, or is it just me that considers it to be an artwork? Anyway, well done there!
I used to design valve rooms / cabinets for automatic fire sprinkler installations. I always got a kick out of seeing the finished job.
The last one I did was for breweries, they went overboard with the spec. Stainless Steel piping with Brad valves. It was a thing of beauty
Life ....  when I was younger I had all these cool brave quotes and tag lines .... then life happened  ... and I have no socialialy acceptable  words 😶

Offline pwt

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Proudly White Tribe
« Reply #7118 on: April 10, 2019, 09:17:12 am »

SpaceX is launching their second ever Falcon 9 HEAVY this week. It was originally supposed to go up on Sunday evening, but was delayed because the static fire test was delayed. Then it was supposed to go up tomorrow eveing but this weather front passing through has snookered that. Now it is scheduled to launch on Wednesday at 6:36pm local time. There is a 2 hour launch window. This will be a good one, it will make lots of fire at the back, and will definitely rattle the windows of the buildings up in Cocoa Beach. If the wind is right we will also hear it here at home.  :ricky:  Anyone want another crappy cell phone video of it?  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

We experienced a Space X rocket launch back in December 2015 from one of the RV Parks in Titusville. We were about 5-10 miles (estimate) away from the launch site with a body of water between Cape Canaveral and us, it was absolutely amazing and exhilarating, as you said, it rattles the windows but I found that it even rattled my bones, I recall feeling the roar reverberating throughout my entire body, it was an overwhelming experience to say the least. Visiting Cape Canaveral and witnessing the launch (from a distance) was probably the highlight of my trip. We also loved the small-town feel of Titusville
Thanks for keeping us updated about all your experiences and endeavors and yes, please post some1st hand video of the launch, even if it is only a video of the smoke trail, anything will be greatly appreciated

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7119 on: April 10, 2019, 01:42:21 pm »
with a body of water between Cape Canaveral and us

It's a lagoon between the mainland and the barrier islands. From Titusville down to Merritt Island it's called the Banana River. A little further down, where we are, it's called the Indian River Lagoon.  :thumleft:

I love rocket launches. No matter how often you see one, it never gets old. There is always the "ooooh" "aaaah" factor.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: pwt