Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1258795 times)

Offline TeeJay

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #7200 on: May 03, 2019, 06:54:48 am »
Beautiful flowers - and you grew it from seed - respect  :thumleft:
Ja/Nee

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #7201 on: May 04, 2019, 03:01:54 am »
Beautiful flowers - and you grew it from seed - respect  :thumleft:

It seems that some of Mrs Zog's fingers are green  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

So this week is finally over. Thank fuck for that. It was a super kak week, anything and everything that could go wrong did. I had one little ray of sunshine though, I got an email from the boss praising me for a job I had done the previous week. A lady had had a water purification system installed a year ago, and it had never worked properly, she continued to get smelly water. The tech that installed the system had been out several times, even the boss went out twice. I was there for less than an hour and had found the problem. She called Thursday to say that she was super happy now  :biggrin:

But apart from that I am glad the week is over. That's all.

Tomorrow morning I will be up early to load up my tools and head over to my colleague's house to help her fix the side of the house that is starting to fall down because the wood is rotten. It'll be a long day, probably even Sunday too. I'll see if I can get some pics, her house will be 100 years old next year! No wonder some of the wood is getting rotten  :o

Anyways, by the time y'all read this it will be Star Wars Day, so may the fourth be with you  :thumleft: :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline mox

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Formerly knows as HONDAKAWA11
« Reply #7202 on: May 04, 2019, 05:01:27 am »
And with you too Mr Zog. Thanks for always sharing.
Klr 650 , Z800 - My blood is green.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #7203 on: May 04, 2019, 10:32:41 am »
Ha - great job Mr Zog - you fixed it like only a Souf Efrikan can huh  :imaposer:
Ja/Nee

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #7204 on: May 04, 2019, 04:13:22 pm »
Please tell us what you did that the boss and the other guy couldnt!

XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #7205 on: May 04, 2019, 09:08:09 pm »
He took his secret weapon with (Maggie) who sniffed where the smell was coming from  :imaposer:
Ja/Nee

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7206 on: May 05, 2019, 02:11:33 am »

Pretty simple really...

We used a chemical feed pump that injects Hydrogen Peroxide into the water line. The H2O2 oxidizes the Hydrogen Sulphide. Then a carbon filter removes the H2O2 from the water before it goes through the water softener. The chemical feed pump is mounted on the top of the solution tank (the tank that holds around 60 liters of H2O2) with two plastic (nylon) bolts (because the chemicals corrode any kind of steel bolts super fast), and it has a suction tube that drops down into the tank to draw the H2O2 up.

When the tech installed the pump they misaligned the holes for the two nylon bolts, and this caused the suction line to kink closed. When I tested the pump to see if it was working I noticed that it wasn't supplying the correct amount of chemical at the correct pressure. During my investigation of the pump I loosened the two bolts and found the kink. Nobody else thought to remove the pump from the top of the tank...  :sip:

I cut out the section of pipe that was kinked, put a new fitting on the end, attached it to the pump, primed the pump up, and tested it again. This time it injected chemicals at over 120psi, and in sufficient quantity. Sorted  :biggrin:

Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7207 on: May 05, 2019, 02:42:09 am »
I worked my mielie off today  :eek7:

The side of the house I was working on was a lot more rotten than first suspected. When we started taking off the old siding (cement-fibre type boards) we found that there were actually 4 layers of siding that had been added over the last 99 years. The original siding was a wooden siding, that was good in places, but in others it had been badly eaten up by termites. Over this someone had added a "waterproof" layer of bitumenised cardboard. Over this someone else had added a layer of very brittle cement type tiles. Then someone else had installed a layer of "Hardy Backer" fibre-cement boards in a ship-lap fashion.

We wanted to try and reuse as many of the Hardy Backer boards as we could, as they are really good and they last well too. Because of this they are pretty expensive too... So getting that top layer off was a bitch. The second layer came off easily, we just bashed them to bits and they fell off. Then we ripped off the old bitumenised layer of cardboard. The original wooden siding was the hardest to get off. Because of the later layers added this layer was full of nails, many more than needed, and trying to pry the boards off was hard work.

But we finally got the last bits off around 1pm, then we started making the new vertical risers (I dunno what the technical term for them are  :peepwall: ) that sit above the double 2" x 12" beams that act as a lintel above the screen frame. I made new ones throughout, and removed all but the middle one. This one was still good, no rot or termite damage, so I just elected to add a pressure treated 2 x 4 to either side to make it a whole lot stronger.

From the pics you will note that my colleague has already doubled-up each of the existing roof beams. Some of them were rotten or damaged by termites. (the termites have since been eradicated). I also elected to double-up two other vertical beams as well.

Then we put on a layer of roof-sheeting OSB, and covered that with a layer of self adhesive plastic rubber sheeting to ensure that no water could get in behind the Hardy Backer boards again. Then we started adding new sheets of Hardy Backer from the bottom in a ship-lap fashion.

By the time we had done the 4th row of Hardy Backer we had run out of screws, and to be honest I had run out of steam too.

It was very hot today, and also pretty humid, and the majority of the work was in the direct sun. So I called it a day, and arranged that I would be back at 8am tomorrow.

And when I say "we", I actually meant "I". My colleague is a lady, and is a great help, but I did all of the heavy work.  :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7208 on: May 05, 2019, 02:48:32 am »
Barely 30 minutes after I got home we had a big storm.

Lots of lightning and thunder and strong winds. We even got hail! The bigger hailstones were the size of a quarter (that is about 25mm for those that have never seen a quarter  :biggrin: ). Mrs Zog actually braved the deluge to get a hailstone for you guys & girls to see  :lol8:

The storm lasted about 90 minutes, and I discovered a small leak in the roof in the Florida Room, so I'll have to look at that in the next few days. But in that 90 minutes we had a sliver over 2 inches of rain (50mm)  :eek7:

It looks like the garden survived the hail, so all good.  :thumleft:

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #7209 on: May 05, 2019, 02:19:17 pm »
That's a big job you have tackled there Mr Zog - hope you get it finished by the end of Sunday.

Holy smokes - that hail - like the saying goes - everything is bigger (and better) in America  :imaposer:
Ja/Nee

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #7210 on: May 05, 2019, 02:45:19 pm »
Lot of work when one has to start lifting layers. I had that once on floors, people tiled over bad tiles and eventually everything had to come out.

Seems you got a great understanding of plumbing now Gary, trust job security comes with that  :thumleft:

Offline ExploreSA

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #7211 on: May 05, 2019, 04:16:25 pm »
Any chance of a pic of the colleague lady (at work)?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I live to please but don't always succeed

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #7212 on: May 05, 2019, 04:25:04 pm »

Pretty simple really...

We used a chemical feed pump that injects Hydrogen Peroxide into the water line. The H2O2 oxidizes the Hydrogen Sulphide. Then a carbon filter removes the H2O2 from the water before it goes through the water softener. The chemical feed pump is mounted on the top of the solution tank (the tank that holds around 60 liters of H2O2) with two plastic (nylon) bolts (because the chemicals corrode any kind of steel bolts super fast), and it has a suction tube that drops down into the tank to draw the H2O2 up.

When the tech installed the pump they misaligned the holes for the two nylon bolts, and this caused the suction line to kink closed. When I tested the pump to see if it was working I noticed that it wasn't supplying the correct amount of chemical at the correct pressure. During my investigation of the pump I loosened the two bolts and found the kink. Nobody else thought to remove the pump from the top of the tank...  :sip:

I cut out the section of pipe that was kinked, put a new fitting on the end, attached it to the pump, primed the pump up, and tested it again. This time it injected chemicals at over 120psi, and in sufficient quantity. Sorted  :biggrin:
If.it is so simple why didn't the boss and other tech pick it up?
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #7213 on: May 05, 2019, 04:51:50 pm »

Pretty simple really...

What I intimated before, Mr.Z. The ink should be well and truly dry on your plumbing technician's certificate, and you should be getting paid accordingly!
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

Still Here - amazed and lucky.

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #7214 on: May 05, 2019, 09:08:06 pm »
Hail, rain, gale force winds, rain, hail, wind and repeat......

Yesterday sucked.

Thankfully not the sort of hail you had.

Building and recycling all at the same time, perfect..

Oulike boudjies.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7215 on: May 06, 2019, 02:17:02 am »

Pretty simple really...

If.it is so simple why didn't the boss and other tech pick it up?

Maybe it was too simple? Maybe they were looking for the fault too deeply...

I just started at the beginning and went through each step systematically. :sip:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7216 on: May 06, 2019, 02:30:42 am »
Any chance of a pic of the colleague lady (at work)?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

She is in the first pic I posted of the work on her house  :thumleft:

I was back at her house at 8am this morning, and we got straight back to work.

Finally fitted the last piece of Hardy Backer right at the top just after 12pm, then packed up my tools and headed home. I will return another day to help her with the ceilings and siding on the inside of the porch, but first she needs to do some electrical work and some more prep work. I did score 4 pieces of old lumber from the demo that I will see if I can salvage some bits from...  :thumleft:

This afternoon I was going to mow the lawn etc, but it was still too wet from last nights rain, and then it started raining again. We had another 20mm this afternoon.

So I just did a bit of tidying up in the workshop, put my batteries in the charger, and called it a day. Sat inside talking to Mrs Zog, and even got to read a book for a bit  :eek7:  :imaposer:

Working in the hot sun like that really takes it out of you  :peepwall:

This coming week I'll be away Tuesday and Wednesday doing another dialysis clinic job.  :sip:

Offline silvrav

« Reply #7217 on: May 06, 2019, 03:21:49 am »
Finally caught up!  :thumleft:  Don't you just hate it when a 2hour job becomes a weekend job  :lamer:

Glad your mom is doing well!

Offline WheelieDog

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • DL650 VStrom
« Reply #7218 on: May 07, 2019, 08:25:30 pm »
Mr Zog quickly sorts out a wall of a hundred year old building in a weekend.

I, on the other hand, have been busy now for three weeks replacing the window glass panes on a ten year old wendyhouse. Fit one, break one, fit one, break one :lol8:
For the love of it.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7219 on: May 09, 2019, 04:16:48 pm »
When Mr. Zog is out of town for 3 days and gives me instructions over the phone exactly how to feed the squirrels:

"1/3 scoop mixed seed in the tray, 1/3 mixed seed on the ground, 1/3 mixed seed in the second feeder, then some sunflower seeds at a ratio of [whatever] distributed evenly between X and Y... " etc.

I told him never mind, I just put a couple of generous scoops of each seed mix into the tray and other feeder. He replies:  "Oh no, you can't do it like that!" ... Uh, why not?

"Because that's not how Fatso likes it."

Fatso is the boss squirrel. He is... very fat.

Sigh.