Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1011041 times)

Tjaart88, Obelix and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Pilchie

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #7280 on: May 24, 2019, 11:23:55 pm »
Happy Belated Birthday Mrs Zig, that lagoon swim .....wow must have been incredible - I would have shrieked :imaposer:
May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #7281 on: May 25, 2019, 01:33:17 am »
I don't know why my pictures are always sideways. Please, if someone knows how to fix it, please tell me. It's so frustrating.

I think it's because you are posting from the Northern hemisphere on an Intel network into a Southern Hemisphere website running on Huawei platform...

« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 01:35:47 am by Fudmucker »
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7282 on: May 26, 2019, 10:10:11 pm »
So, it's 16:00, Sunday afternoon, and I'm the only one awake. It's not been a good 24 hours.

Last night Maggie started to look a little green around the gills, but she ate and drank fine. We settled her in for the night, but this morning she was definitely not in a good state. She was obviously in a lot of pain, in her tummy. We watched her for a bit and decided that she needs to go to the emergency vet, pronto.

At the same time, Mr. Zog got a call-out for work to go to Kissimmee, which is a long way away, about an hour one way. So I loaded Maggie into the car and sped down to the Emergency Animal Hospital in Vero Beach. She was getting worse by the minute, and I was really upset too. Mr. Zog was also in a state but had to go work.

Eventually we were seen by the emergency vet, Dr. C., we know her well. I first met her a couple of years ago, she ran the local vet right around the corner. She closed that clinic and only concentrated on the 24-hour emergency hospital, one of only two in the entire region. We took Maggie there during her late night emergency before she had her bladder surgery last year. Since then, Mr. Zog has fixed Dr. C's water issues both at home and in the hospital, and we always opt to go there, even though it's a longer way. We like Dr. C.

So Dr. C checks Maggie out and came up with acute gastroenteritis, severely inflamed guts. No idea what brought it on. It's not a life-threatening emergency, but it's serious enough and I'm glad I took her. She received three shots - one for pain, one for nausea/vomiting (preventive only), and one for soothing the tummy. Then she had her anal glands checked out properly and emptied, too (remember she had problems with those a couple of weeks ago).

Then we were sent home with four syringes of pain meds and a bunch of antibiotics. She refused to eat, but I hand-fed her a couple of dry biscuits because she had to take the first antibiotic tablet with food. Now she, Mr. Zog, and Sammy are fast asleep together on the bed, all in a furry pile, and Maggie is in an opioid-induced stupor. But that's ok. It'll hopefully allow her to get some rest.

The vet says we should see some improvement by tonight. If no improvement by tomorrow, we need to bring her back and check her out more.

For now... $300 later, I'm hoping that it's going to be fine. For her sake, for our sake, and for the sake of our bank account. Although I would beg, borrow, and steal to see her taken care of.
 :(   
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7283 on: May 26, 2019, 11:38:20 pm »
Update:

She ate some food and drank water and looks a bit more perky, but still pretty groggy and wobbly. Relief.
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #7284 on: May 26, 2019, 11:45:57 pm »
It was the snake snack...!  :eek7:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #7285 on: May 27, 2019, 10:25:18 am »
Update:

She ate some food and drank water and looks a bit more perky, but still pretty groggy and wobbly. Relief.

Respect for taking good care of you doggies Mrs Z

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7286 on: May 27, 2019, 05:54:06 pm »
Pretty much back to normal. Still a bit slow, but already chased some squirrels (a very slow chase) and is following Mr. Zog around the garden. Eating and drinking again. Now we just have a course of antibiotics to get through.

This time yesterday she looked like she was on death's door. For us to take our doggie to the emergency hospital on a holiday weekend, believe me, we were REALLY worried.

She truly is indestructible.

We always joke that she is not going to die a natural death. She's not going to pass peacefully in her sleep when the time comes. It'll be the dog version of "here, hold my beer, watch this."  ;D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 06:02:50 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #7287 on: May 27, 2019, 08:43:48 pm »
Fukken mutt is going to be the death of me yet...  :o

As Mrs Zog said, Maggie is feeling a whole lot better today. Still not great, but getting there. Thankfully.

Yesterday I was called out to Kissimmee, about an hour west of here, only to find that I would not be able to repair their water. The steel / galvanised pipe going down the well to the submersible pump has a leak, and I need a crane truck to pull it up. We have a crane truck, but we don't have the steel / galvanised pipe in stock to replace the bad bits. So the customer will just have to wait until Tuesday when we can get pipe from the supplier and get back there. (today is Memorial Day, the day Americans remember and honour those who died serving their country)

Yesterday I bought a couple of outside lights for the house. (before Maggie needed to go to the vet) So after I got back from Kissimmee I installed them. One on the wall at the garage door, one on the wall at the front door, and one on the top of the post at the fence around the front porch. The ones on the house wall I installed motion-sensor LED bulbs, and the one on the post has a day-night LED bulb. Now we can have light outside the front when we get home after dark. And they look pretty too. I'll get some pics later...

Today I kept the noise down for the morning. I installed two plug points on the outside of my workshop. One on the garden side where we can plug in the plastic jacuzzi, and the other at the back where I plug in the battery charger for the boat. The boat's battery charger extension cord just used to run out the window, but with the windy season coming (hurricane season) I want to make sure that I can keep the window closed to stop any rain coming in. I used weather-proof covers for the plugs...

In a few minutes I'll be heading over the street to the neighbour's house. They are having a BBQ this afternoon and invited us over. I made some burger patties from the last of the boerewors mince I made a while ago, and will introduce the neighbours to the wonderful flavour of traditional boerewors...  :biggrin:  albeit on a bun with ketchup and onions and cheese...  :lol8:

Hopefully I don't get called out. I need some quiet time to relax.  :sip:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7288 on: May 28, 2019, 02:43:25 am »
I had a swim over at the neighbours house...

The water was warm, 32 deg C. Just from the sunlight and the ambient temp, no pool heater. It was hellofa refreshing  :biggrin:

The boerie flavoured burgers went down well, not as juicy as a lekker stukkie wors fresh off the coals, but the flavour was great.

Now we are sitting in the lounge listening to some fuckwit setting off fireworks.

Here are the pics of the lights and the electrical outlets I installed. Oh, and when I had to cut the tin sides of the shed I was wondering how I would go about it; jigsaw, hand saw, Dremel... I ended up just slicing it with a Stanley knife...  :eek7:  THATS how thin it is  :o

Oh, and Maggie is doing much better this evening. She wolfed down her supper, and even had another chase after a squirrel. I don't think she needs another dose of her pain meds tonight, I think she's better now.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #7289 on: May 28, 2019, 04:21:39 am »
From paramedic to demolisher / plumber / electrician / carpenter...!
General home fixer-upper.  :thumleft:

Are those fly screens in front of your garage doors...?

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #7290 on: May 28, 2019, 06:25:42 am »
Your house looks very beautiful and welcoming. Those plants on the front porch are lovely

Quite a difference from the rundown place you moved into. WOW!
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #7291 on: May 28, 2019, 06:37:21 am »
Glad to hear that Maggie is back  :thumleft:

Your home is looking really nice guys - the hard work is paying off - good job!
Ja/Nee

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #7292 on: May 28, 2019, 09:06:47 am »
And flying the Stars and Stripes like a good American. Doesn't happen so much on South Africa's national holidays, maybe too many?

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7293 on: May 29, 2019, 03:32:33 am »
Thanks for all the lovely comments guys and gals  :thumleft:

Now that the big jobs like the fence are done, we can start to look at doing the smaller stuff.  :thumleft:

I just sent off an email to a person on Craigslist, they are giving away a stack of laminate planks. I can definitely use those to spruce up the new house...  Holding thumbs I can get them.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7294 on: May 31, 2019, 03:45:54 am »
I didn't get a reply from the ad on Craigslist, and the ad was taken down, so I guess I didn't get the nod. >:(

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7295 on: May 31, 2019, 03:52:07 am »
This week has been a bit of a rough one.

Very high temps during the day with extreme UV indexes. High humidity too, makes it very hard to cool off.

I have also had a few evening call-outs, last night I got home at 11pm, this evening it was  8:30pm. Let the overtime roll  :biggrin:  But it gets tiring, I'm looking forward to the weekend so I can get on with some more "Zoggin"  :imaposer:

Tomorrow the boss flies off to Equador. He is going on a mission trip for a week, so it will be up to the rest of us to keep things ticking over, and I will be back in Bartow Monday and Tuesday for more work on the dialysis clinic.

I might go fishing on Sunday morning, it's been too long since I last took the boat out  :sip:

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #7296 on: May 31, 2019, 06:02:32 am »
Sounds like it's your weekend off duty - nice - enjoy!
Ja/Nee

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7297 on: June 01, 2019, 02:56:38 am »
Sounds like it's your weekend off duty - nice - enjoy!

Yip, I'm OFF DUTY  :ricky:

Celebrated when I got home with a run & coke...

After a very yummy dinner of beef stew that Mrs Zog made I fell asleep in my chair  :eek7:   Makes me feel like an old toppie man  :eek7:

I'll have an early night tonight, I'm really tired.

Tomorrow I have lots to do, so no fishing.  Maybe Sunday...  :sip:

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #7298 on: June 01, 2019, 04:03:06 am »
Celebrated when I got home with a run & coke...
After a very yummy dinner of beef stew that Mrs Zog made I fell asleep in my chair  :eek7:   
Makes me feel like an old toppie man  :eek7:
I'll have an early night tonight, I'm really tired.
Tomorrow I have lots to do, so no fishing.  Maybe Sunday...  :sip:
The sleep of a man who has earned his rest after a week's honest work.  :thumleft:
The rest was the rum... and Ms Zogs stew!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #7299 on: June 01, 2019, 12:24:16 pm »
Gary you and the missed progress in the States us an awesome read of success. Shows you, they say you cant keep a good man down but obviously that goes for the missus as well :thumleft:

My son will soon be off to the States, somewhere North of Texas on a farming contract and my application is also in with 2 x companies. I got feedback last night saying that the farmers prefer young men and it is late in the season but they will lookout for me, maybe 2020. The other agency dont look for a farmer but farmers visit their website and scan the profiles. I would so love to get an opportunity, and maybe I'll be able to visit house Zog at the end of the stund for a week. Been years!!

Great weekend to you all!!