Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 884132 times)

Offline Mrs. Zog

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #7360 on: June 13, 2019, 06:13:32 pm »
The bike has arrived. I just signed the delivery papers. It awaits Mr. Zog in the garage. It has also been inspected by the four-legged safety team. I'd post a picture but I just know it'll go sideways, so I'll leave that to Mr. Zog.

:thumleft:
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

The following users thanked this post: halfjob, Bikerboer1973, Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #7361 on: June 13, 2019, 06:19:57 pm »
The bike has arrived. I just signed the delivery papers. It awaits Mr. Zog in the garage. It has also been inspected by the four-legged safety team. I'd post a picture but I just know it'll go sideways, so I'll leave that to Mr. Zog.

4 legged HSE team :imaposer:

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #7362 on: June 13, 2019, 06:31:10 pm »

A little bit of home to uplift his morale !  :ricky:
HEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7363 on: June 13, 2019, 07:23:44 pm »
I really am at my wit's end.

Maggie just came running in from outside (through the dog flap), dragging a half dead snake behind her, and promptly disappeared behind the sofa with it. I'll leave it for you to imagine how difficult it was to get both dog (possessive of her kill) and half-chewed snake out from behind there.

I threw that one over the fence into the ditch and then had a look around and found another dead one (I know from experience that Maggie kills them in pairs). I really don't know what to do anymore. I know she just does what's in her breed/genes, but I draw the line when she brings them into the living room to chew them up behind the sofa.

I'm really not happy though.  :-\ One day Maggie will get the wrong kind of snake and it'll kill her. I think the root of the problem is that Mr. Zog feeds the squirrels, and the snakes are attracted to the little rodents, but I don't think Mr. Zog will stop feeding the squirrels.

:-\
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #7364 on: June 13, 2019, 07:42:31 pm »
I really am at my wit's end.

Maggie just came running in from outside (through the dog flap), dragging a half dead snake behind her, and promptly disappeared behind the sofa with it. I'll leave it for you to imagine how difficult it was to get both dog (possessive of her kill) and half-chewed snake out from behind there.

I threw that one over the fence into the ditch and then had a look around and found another dead one (I know from experience that Maggie kills them in pairs). I really don't know what to do anymore. I know she just does what's in her breed/genes, but I draw the line when she brings them into the living room to chew them up behind the sofa.

I'm really not happy though.  :-\ One day Maggie will get the wrong kind of snake and it'll kill her. I think the root of the problem is that Mr. Zog feeds the squirrels, and the snakes are attracted to the little rodents, but I don't think Mr. Zog will stop feeding the squirrels.

:-\
Take a pick of Zoggie's face when he sees the bike, even if it is sideways! :pot:
To stop him from feeding the squirrels, just stop feeding him! Joking, I like him. :thumleft: :peepwall:
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #7365 on: June 14, 2019, 04:18:09 am »
FFS  :o

There is NO WAY a little 3-foot snake is going to catch and eat a 1-foot squirrel.  :deal:

The snakes are after the frogs, which have proliferated after the rains. No way to stop the frogs, and no way to stop the snakes. I just hope Maggie doesn't try and take on a Pigmy Rattlesnake or a Cottonmouth or other venomous snake.

Today was another very sweaty one, the humidity well into the 90's. Thankfully some rain this afternoon cooled things down. I actually prefer working in the light rain to the sun. Still gets me soaked, but not as hot  :biggrin:

THE BIKE IS HERE  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

I wish I could just take it for a quick spin around the block... but if the cops bust me I'll be in seriously deep shit. So for now it will just reside in the garage or the workshop, until I get it registered here, and until I get my bike license done. I will probably get some small things sorted out on it in the meantime...

Some pics of the bike, and the inspection team. I wonder if they can still smell the same smells it had back in SA all those years ago?

And supper was viennas and chips, or as the Americans call it, hotdogs and fries  :drif:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline immigrant

« Reply #7366 on: June 14, 2019, 04:24:08 am »
Mayochup.....it caused quite the stir in the North

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5144737
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7367 on: June 14, 2019, 04:30:54 am »
Mayochup.....it caused quite the stir in the North

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5144737

mayochup = shit face in Cree  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline immigrant

« Reply #7368 on: June 14, 2019, 04:37:09 am »
I like Heinzís comeback

"The only thing we want our consumers, whichever dialect of Cree they speak, to have on their faces this summer is our newest condiment mash-up."

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #7369 on: June 14, 2019, 06:19:09 am »
Zog, you must be chuffed to be a :ricky: biker again...

Now just to be a legal biker again...  :deal:

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #7370 on: June 14, 2019, 09:22:54 am »
Excellent news regarding the bike Gary.

This has to be a real, perfectly times mojo boost for you and Mrs Zog, as I am sure she loves your happy face.

Regarding the smells, undoubtedly the dogs will smell Africa on it, and remember.

The dust, smells, and everything else is different in Africa, so they will know it.

As you say, ensure you do all 5e paperwork etc right, you are reliant on your own good behaviour. I would not ride it, unless on private land.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Lars

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Oh well...
« Reply #7371 on: June 14, 2019, 09:52:49 am »
Great to see you got your bike. Bet there are not lots of them in the US.

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #7372 on: June 14, 2019, 02:01:23 pm »

Especially Right Hand Drive.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline dieseldawie

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • I like to drink lots of beer
« Reply #7373 on: June 14, 2019, 02:32:25 pm »

Dont joke. Bikes in SA have a dipped beam to the left. In Europe and I assume the US they dip to the right away from oncoming traffic, so its possible he might have to mod it to get it through a roadworthy??
Where are my shorts??

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #7374 on: June 14, 2019, 03:32:57 pm »

Dont joke. Bikes in SA have a dipped beam to the left. In Europe and I assume the US they dip to the right away from oncoming traffic, so its possible he might have to mod it to get it through a roadworthy??

Just flip the headlamp over  :thumleft:

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #7375 on: June 14, 2019, 05:17:49 pm »

He will need to replace the headlight / lens to dip right.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7376 on: June 15, 2019, 03:20:38 am »
I'll find out from the authorities about any changes that I may have to make to the bike  :thumleft:

Today I spent the entire day doing an installation at a mansion on the beach. Replaced most of the water treatment system. I'm guessing that the value of the home must be between 5 and 10 million  :eek7:  It is a stunning house.

Yesterday Mrs Zog and I received a very generous gift from a friend. We were given enough money to buy the hurricane shutters for our Florida Room. It is vitally important that we cover the windows of the Florida room, because should a tree branch or other flying debris break a window the wind will blow in and cause the roof to pop up, then the rest of the house will follow. So after work I measured up the windows and made my calculations on sizes and quantities, and tomorrow morning Mrs Zog and I will head off to Habitat for Humanity (they sell used household appliances, furniture, and building materials) and see if we can get what we need. We will go to the Palm Bay branch, but if they don't have we can also go to the Rockledge branch (a few miles North) or the Vero branch (a few miles South).

The benefactor has sked to remain anonymous, and I respect his wishes. All we can say is thank you.

To give y'all an idea of how important the shutters are to us, I was invited this morning to go deep sea fishing with Pieter and Marius tomorrow. But I elected to rather get the shutters sorted... eish  :o

The following users thanked this post: Blou Zebu

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7377 on: June 16, 2019, 04:48:59 am »
So I was up at first sparrowfart this morning.

Fed the dogs and the squirrels, and sat drinking my coffee watching the squirrels and the birds eating and playing.

Finally the time arrived and we headed off to the bank to cash and deposit my paycheck (yup, they still literally pay with checks in the USA  :eek7: ) and then we headed off to Habitat for Humanity. At the Palm Bay branch they only had a few panels, but I was able to get the 3 short ones for above the AC unit, and the two long ones for on the door. They also had a special on today; 25% off all hurricane shutters!!! So we saved $15.

We asked the lady at the till if she knew if the Rockledge branch had shutters, and she told us that they didn't carry them. So we called the Vero branch (it is in a different County) and they did. So we drove the 20-odd miles South to Vero Beach. At the Vero branch I found 10 panels out of the 22 that I needed that were the right size, and took 12 others that were a foot too long. I can cut them shorter...

They charge for the panels by the foot, and they round down to the lower number. So the panels that I got that were too long were 7 foot and 11 inches, but they only charged for 7 foot. And when I was about to pay the lady at the till told me that today's special was if you spend more than $100 you get 25% off! WOW! So we saved $92 on the rest of the shutter panels we needed! WIN!!!

Back home I offloaded the panels, then measured and calculated how many bolts, washers, and nuts I would need to mount them. Then I headed off to Home Depot to get the hardware I needed. I wanted to use Stainless Steel bolts and nuts and washers, but that would have worked out at over $300  :eek7:

Even galvanised would have been over $200 :eek7:

So I managed to get nickle plated bolts and nuts and washers. Even so, the hardware came to $140  :eek7:

Back home I made a start on installing them. I did the 3 short panels that had to go horizontally across the top of the AC unit (nothing to attach them to at the bottom), and installed the first two panels that go on the front of the Florida Room. Mrs Zog helped out by holding the bolt-head inside while I tightened up the nyloc nuts on the outside. Because I was drilling through the aluminium frame of the structure I elected to install the bolts permanently, using body washers on the insode and normal washers on the outside, and nyloc nuts. When they are tight they will form a water-tight seal and not let any water inside the structure. When I need to install the shutters all I have to do is push them over the bolts and screw them down with wing nuts. Because they are a custom-fit, I am numbering each panel so I know where to fit them when the time arises.

I also pushed the bike from the garage to the workshop. The first thing that I noticed is that the clutch lever is completely missing. It must have broken off somehow in the shipping from SA, and the throttle sleeve inside the grip is also broken, and the right front flicker is busted off. Nothing that I can't fix though, I'll give the bike a thorough once-over in the next few days as I get time.

This eveing after supper I decided to take a break and went down to the pond to throw a line in, but no fish were eating my lures.

Oh well, maybe I'll wake up really early tomorrow and cast a line off the dock in the lagoon for a bit  :sip:

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #7378 on: June 16, 2019, 05:44:25 am »
Armco for houses...?   ???

It's really gratifying that you were able to buy your panels just when they had them on special...!   :deal:
Maximising a windfall...:thumleft:

BTW, I saw a brilliant way to beautify and organise files in the office of a lecturer at Uni.
He took an art poster and cut it into sections and pasted the sections to the visible side of the files on the shelf.
So, when the files were correctly ordered, they formed a picture to admire, instead of a boring row of files.
Perhaps a little dash of paint as a mural would assist in decorating your panels while putting them in the correct order too?

Offline immigrant

« Reply #7379 on: June 16, 2019, 05:46:09 am »
I suppose you put that on every window? Do the bolts stay in the frame and you then just slide the tin over them and tighten it?

Edit: ignore my questions. You explained it already. My reading and comprehension skills were not so good
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 05:49:27 am by immigrant »