Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 901874 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #7460 on: July 01, 2019, 09:43:15 am »
Lekker Gary!
For photos, I have always liked FastStone Image Resizer
https://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm
Itís very user friendly.

Yes faststone is very easy and you can do a big amount of files all at once. Unfortunately it doesn't work on Mackbook.

Offline Dustman

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • We know less than what we don't know
« Reply #7461 on: July 01, 2019, 12:35:46 pm »
Rightclick on the .jpg file and select open with.....Select paint.
In paint under home is an icon that say "resize". Click this and resize to 25% ( Depending on how big the file is and how big must be.
Save as .... give it a new name.
"Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7462 on: July 01, 2019, 04:31:28 pm »
Here are some pictures. I finally figured out how to get them straight.  :biggrin:
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

The following users thanked this post: Bikerboer1973

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7463 on: July 01, 2019, 05:12:27 pm »
Thank goodness it didn't land on the gazebo or the little pool

Or the dogs!  :-\
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #7464 on: July 02, 2019, 01:56:36 am »
Right. So I discarded the "safe" version of Windows so that I could install the apps that I know and want.

Here are the pics of the job I did on the Jon boat.

The issue was that when I was moving along under power, the water would slop up along the sides and splash into the boat right at the back. So I made two raised sections at the back (the last 5 feet actually  ::)  ) that will hopefully reduce or even completely stop the water splashing in.

I do have a little bilge pump, so getting the water out isn't really an issue, but I'd prefer to try and keep the inside completely dry.  :thumleft:

Two fencing planks (used) that I cut to a wedge shape, then sanded down and gave two coats of outdoor varnish. The bolts are galvanised, so hopefully will last a while.

The rope along the top of the boat, and the steel frame are just there to keep the tarp up while it is parked in the yard  :deal:  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7465 on: July 02, 2019, 02:08:33 am »
When I got home from work this evening I loaded the bike onto the back of the bakkie again, tomorrow at 3 I have the inspection at the FHP for the VIN number.

Then I got busy cutting up the fallen branch in the back yard. I didn't use the electric chain saw, the chain keeps coming off, and I figured that the chain is stretched beyond the last adjustment of the saw, so a new chain is needed. They aren't too expensive, around $15 to $20, but I don't have that right now, so I just used the 9 inch wood blade on my Sawzall. Took a bit longer but I got it done. Then I used the new (to me) wheelbarrow I fixed up to cart the heavy logs out to the street so that the refuse removal trucks that collect yard waste can take them away.

Thursday is independence day, I'll be volunteering for standby duty. I get paid double time if I work on a Federal holiday  :biggrin:

Then this coming weekend I am on standby anyway, and the boss needs a new counter built at the new shop so I volunteered my services. I'll be doing that all day Saturday. Maybe even a bit on Sunday... overtime will be most welcome  :ricky:

Maybe you guys can convince Mrs Zog to post a pic of the simple set of shelves I built for her closet  :pot:  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

I also found a very refreshing drink the other day. I add some ice to a beer glass, then I add half lemon flavoured Gatorade, and half Coke. Sounds weird, but it's actually quite tart and refreshing  :drif:

Don't judge me too harshly... I am just saltwater african redneck hillbilly  :spitcoffee:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #7466 on: July 02, 2019, 06:28:55 am »
Mmmmmm becoming all 'Merican I tell ya........ :imaposer:

Now if you were a trooo Sefrican you would have kept those logs to dry out for your next braai - or sommer just to make a fire  :3some:

C'mon Mrs Zeeee....lets have a pic of those shelves huh!

Keep on Zoggin!
Eat life!

Offline OomD

« Reply #7467 on: July 02, 2019, 06:40:10 am »
Jislaaik that branch could've done some serious damage, quite lucky there.

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Groot Suzuki aanhanger maar eindig altyd op met 'n Honda!
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Darem al weer 'n Honda XL185 plaas fiets.
« Reply #7468 on: July 02, 2019, 10:22:16 am »
Nice going on the Jon Boat, and bike hope you get it registered with out to much fuss.

Are you still going to fix up the big boat you got from your buddy?
Tans.
Honda Xl185 plaas fiets
Vrou se NC700.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7469 on: July 02, 2019, 06:14:27 pm »
Here is a picture of the shelving.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7470 on: July 02, 2019, 06:16:45 pm »
Before the Zogged shelving, I only had the hanging rod across and the top shelf above it, which was useless because I need a stepladder to reach it. Very inefficient.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #7471 on: July 02, 2019, 06:45:29 pm »
Nice - and the clothes can "breathe" through the wire racks - good job  :thumleft:
Eat life!

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7472 on: July 02, 2019, 08:16:07 pm »
Early this morning NASA performed a successful test flight of the Orion crew capsule (unmanned) to test the emergency abort system. I just watched the recap and splashdown on TV. They launched it, aborted the mission at 31,000 feet (9,450 m), and made an emergency splashdown in the ocean. It was an impressive splash, too! The first crewed test flight is scheduled for 2022.

So it looks like everything is right on track for a manned moon mission in 2024.  :thumleft:

Yes, I get unashamedly excited about space.  8) 

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #7473 on: July 02, 2019, 08:42:27 pm »
Early this morning NASA performed a successful test flight of the Orion crew capsule (unmanned) to test the emergency abort system. I just watched the recap and splashdown on TV. They launched it, aborted the mission at 31,000 feet (9,450 m), and made an emergency splashdown in the ocean. It was an impressive splash, too! The first crewed test flight is scheduled for 2022.

So it looks like everything is right on track for a manned moon mission in 2024.  :thumleft:

Same here mrs Zog!

Offline Fransw

« Reply #7474 on: July 02, 2019, 08:44:26 pm »

Mrs Zog. I posted a pic of your avatar on the aviation forum.https://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=214344&start=165 Hope you and Mr Zog don't mind. Funny pic! :thumleft:

Interesting post about NASA..

Cheers

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7475 on: July 03, 2019, 01:38:24 am »
I took the bike to the FHP DMV office in Cocoa today for the VIN inspection.

I wasn't able to be assisted because I didn't have the original registration certificate from SA in my possession. The original seems to have been lost by the shipping company.

So I have a couple of options;
1. Email the shipping company in SA and try and see if they can find it and mail it to me.
2.Get someone in SA to get me a new one...ja right.
3. Have a judge here make a court ruling that the copy I have is acceptable.

Shit... going to be a mission.

But the lady at the FHP DMV office was very helpful. She took the copy I had and will follow up with a "contact" to run the details via the SA system to confirm that the bike isn't stolen etc. So I am fine with that, I know everything that side is ok.

Yuri will mail me the original documents from Customs and border protection to show that the bike has legally entered the country.

It's just the original registration certificate... if anyone has a back-door route to the SA licensing dept and can arrange one for me without me being there in person, please let me know  ::)   I'd be most grateful  :thumleft:

So after I got home I got up on the roof of my workshop and sealed up the areas that seem the most likely to be allowing the rain to get in. Hopefully I got it, the leaky roof is gonna destroy the roof beams and everything under them too.

Offline BFG

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Ride- crash-fix-repeat
« Reply #7476 on: July 03, 2019, 09:52:17 am »

Yuri will mail me the original documents from Customs and border protection to show that the bike has legally entered the country.

It's just the original registration certificate... if anyone has a back-door route to the SA licensing dept and can arrange one for me without me being there in person, please let me know  ::)   I'd be most grateful  :thumleft:

PM sent

Offline Tony the Boney

• Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Threw away the key and locked the door
« Reply #7477 on: July 03, 2019, 11:44:56 am »
Saw this yesterday and had to take the picture. No matter how I save the picture, she doesn't want to stand up straight
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 11:49:26 am by Tony the Boney »
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7478 on: July 04, 2019, 02:05:14 am »
Saw this yesterday and had to take the picture. No matter how I save the picture, she doesn't want to stand up straight

Wasn't me jor onner!  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7479 on: July 04, 2019, 02:13:51 am »
Jissie it was farkin HOT today...

The weather office issued severe heat warnings and advisories.

I had to replace two fountain pumps that sit inside floating frames in the middle of two ponds at a housing cluster. Working in the sun was a mission. I wore my hat, but I was soaked to the bone from the sweat. I went in the water, but only to just below the tops of my gum boots. The water was filthy and disgusting, stagnant little swamp ponds. No way I was gonna "fall over" to cool off.  :eek7:

The floating frames are held in the middle of the pond by two ropes, so just loosen one off, and walk it around to the opposite side, and pull the whole contraption out of the water.  :thumleft:

Driving in my van I noticed the temp was high. 102 deg F, or 39 deg C. Add to that the humidity, and it was well over 40 deg C.

I struggled today.  :o