Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 900532 times)

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #7680 on: August 08, 2019, 07:17:13 am »
What does gator taste like?

tastes like chikin  :lol8:

I once visited Carnivores near Krugersdorp. They serve all and any type of venison, even 'gator. It does taste - and look - like chicken. My Japanese guest loved it, and even finished mine, which was too salty for my taste :eek7:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Online Mr. Python

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Carpe Canum
« Reply #7681 on: August 08, 2019, 08:32:11 am »
I cooked a piece of crocodile once  was like chicken port with layers of clear fat .
Was lekker, but I'll eat most things
Life ....  when I was younger I had all these cool brave quotes and tag lines .... then life happened  ... and I have no socialialy acceptable  words 😶

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #7682 on: August 09, 2019, 01:58:54 am »
I once ate crocodile at Sun City. It was quite nice.

Not as nice as the Miss SA contestants I was looking after  :drif:  :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Shukran

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • In Abu Dhabi missing Johannesburg
« Reply #7683 on: August 09, 2019, 04:28:07 am »
What does gator taste like?

Dunno about gator but crocodile literally tastes like rubber chicken.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 04:28:37 am by Shukran »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #7684 on: August 09, 2019, 05:02:47 am »
 :xxbah: Pok no!! That Florida man :spitcoffee:

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #7685 on: August 09, 2019, 12:38:39 pm »

I love me sum gata, if itís not too greeeeesy n rubberry.

The Louisianan's down in the bayou seem to know how the cook it best.
Love everyone, regardless of where their ancestry lies............we all bleed red...........we are all on this rock together.........be nice to people.......

Offline corne.l

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Say what?
« Reply #7686 on: August 10, 2019, 12:56:18 pm »
They even made a movie about THE man ...

in vino veritas, in cervesio felicitas

Yamaha XT1200Z (2010) - SOLD
Yamaha XT660Z (2009) - SOLD
BMW F650GS Dakar (2004) - SOLD

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7687 on: August 10, 2019, 07:43:16 pm »
I went out this morning to buy a new tool.

I'll get some pics later, but right now I'm giving myself some indoor time. The relative temp outside is around 110 deg F  :eek7:  :eek7: :eek7:

That is mid 40's in deg C  :eek7: :eek7: :eek7:  We are under a National Weather Service Heat Alert right now. It is virtually impossible to be outdoors for more than a few minutes at a time. Thank goodness I don't have to be at work today, it's brutal.

I have the AC cranked down to around 23 deg C, and am gonna watch some TV and maybe even have a short nap.   :peepwall:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #7688 on: August 10, 2019, 09:18:19 pm »
Yes Gary that heatwave got us here in Kansas as well!
We could not work due to the loader that is in for repairs so our boss gave us some ground work to do at his motel.
We had to dig out the soil and prep for cement.
5 hours of hard physical labour in the sun. We were drenched and although we getting paid by the hour we were happy when the job was done and we could come back to the ranch for a cold beer!!
Enjoy some time off!  :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7689 on: August 11, 2019, 02:43:11 am »
Yes Gary that heatwave got us here in Kansas as well!
We could not work due to the loader that is in for repairs so our boss gave us some ground work to do at his motel.
We had to dig out the soil and prep for cement.
5 hours of hard physical labour in the sun. We were drenched and although we getting paid by the hour we were happy when the job was done and we could come back to the ranch for a cold beer!!
Enjoy some time off!  :thumleft:

Yup, nothing like digging in the sun to build up a thirst. I did it yesterday for almost 6 hours. Started at 8am, finished the job at 2pm. I looked like I had fallen in a swimming pool with all my clothes on. Then I still had to go and do 4 other jobs. I got home last night at 6:30 and got undressed in the garage in front of the washing machine and went straight to the shower.  :imaposer:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7690 on: August 11, 2019, 02:56:43 am »
Right. It's dark now and the heat has subsided somewhat.

So, the tool I went to buy this morning...

I have wanted / needed a bandsaw for a long time. I missed out on one a few weeks ago on Craigslist because I didn't have the money then.

They say that everything happens for a reason...

I guess that that reason was shown to me today. I was scanning the tools for sale again this morning while drinking my morning coffee and spotted a bandsaw that fitted my limited budget. I discussed it with the minister of finances and she agreed to allow me to spend the cash. So I called the guy and got his address and made the arrangement to meet him in an hour. I jumped through the shower and headed out in my bakkie. Stopped at the ATM to draw cash, and drove up to Cocoa to the guy's house.

When I arrived I met the guy, a retired Military Policeman. What a nice guy, his workshop is more suited to metalwork, and he has a 1966 GTO on a "rotisserie" inside a plastic sheeting cage. He has just finished spraying the primer coat and is giving the primer 30 days to set properly before he gives it a final sanding and sprays the topcoat. Full resto on the old car. It's going to be a beaut!

We chatted about the bandsaw, he got it from his elderly neighbor who also has a nice woodshop next to his house, but who had a heart attack and a stroke at the same time and is now paralysed on his right side. So he had to get rid of all his tools. How sad is that? The bandsaw was made in 1988, but looks like it just came off the factory floor!

After chatting some more the dude decided that he would give it to me for what he paid for it at the old guy, HALF of what he had advertised it for on Craigslist. So instead of $60 I paid $30. And it came with a spare (brand new) blade, the original owners manual, and a steel floor stand. I will be mounting it directly onto my workbench, so I will probably use the stand as a base for other tools that I will need to take outside.

Flippen BARGAIN man! A comparable bandsaw at Harbor Freight is $375.  I am very happy  :biggrin:

The following users thanked this post: CDog

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7691 on: August 11, 2019, 03:07:08 am »
After getting home and having a sandwich for breakfast Mrs Zog and I went off to the Home Depot and bought two Hibiscus trees for the garden.

After the worst heat of the day had passed I dug the holes and planted them alongside the small fence I had build for the "doggie corral". They will grow bigger and offer some nice morning shade to the "corral". And they will block off the view from the street into the back yard where the little plastic pool is situated  ;)  :lol8:

I also got this pic from my buddy Pieter. His lawnmower is stuck in the mud at the side of his house. It will have to stay there until the ground dries as there is no way he can get a regular bakkie round there to pull it out without the bakkie chewing up his lawn and probably also getting stuck. Did I mention we have has TONS of rain?  :peepwall:

I told Piet it was Mother Nature's way of telling him to stop the garden work and drink beer. He agreed and invited me to help him drink some. I had to refuse as I still had lots of stuff to do.

The stuff to do included giving both the dogs a bath... they were almost as smelly as I am when I get home after a long hard day  :imaposer:

And I think I have posted this before?  :sip:

One of our weather guys is the spitting image of a very much younger Riaan Cruywagen  :imaposer:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7692 on: August 11, 2019, 03:24:25 am »
I am in the advanced planning stage for my new workbench.

I need to install the following tools on / in the workbench;
Mitre Saw
Band Saw
Table Saw
Router
Sander
Drill Press
Grinder

The table needs to have a clean clear surface. I need open space for long planks or whatever when cutting them on either the table saw or the mitre saw or using the router etc.  I can't have tools in the way of others... So most of the tools will need to either swivel down below the table surface, be completely removed and placed below the top, or sit flush with the table surface. So it's going to be a bit more complicated than the last workbench I built...  :sip:

I have been checking out several YouTube channels by woodworkers and I have some great ideas on how I would like it to happen. The only exception will be the drill press that will be freestanding on the floor right at the end of the new workbench. I may even change this and try and find a completely different spot for it in the workshop, but I think at the end of the workbench will be best.  :thumleft:

I also need to keep in mind that the mitre saw needs to be away from the wall so that the sliders have somewhere to go, and it will need to swivel down when not in use.  And the table saw needs to be able to slide backwards so that I can cut bigger bits of wood on it. I want to be able to turn the sander around so that I can use either the disc or the belt sander easily.

Lots of things to think about... and the table surface needs to high enough to allow the mitre saw to swivel down, but still be low enough for me to reach all over it easily when working. For that I have (roughly) calculated that the table surface needs to be around 38 - 39 inches high. I am also thinking I will use MDF (Superwood) for the table surface. It gives much neater edges than plywood, and is also smoother and takes a router edge much better too.

Lots to ruminate about tonight, because tomorrow I will start making drawings etc... and start cutting and placing the framework for the table...  :thumleft:

I'll try and document all the steps of this build for y'all  :ricky:

Offline tok-tokkie

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #7693 on: August 11, 2019, 08:31:02 am »
Re your score on the band saw.  You certainly did score big time.

I remember the story of a guy I knew who bought a second hand band saw from a RC priest.  The priest said he had to confess that it was not a good band saw at all but my buddy bought it anyway.  He had spotted that all that was wrong with it was the blade had been put in backwards!

Offline BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #7694 on: August 11, 2019, 08:41:30 am »

I'll try and document all the steps of this build for y'all  :ricky:

Please do. Will hopefully be able to steal some of your ideas for my own new garage...
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #7695 on: August 11, 2019, 01:57:33 pm »
Re your score on the band saw.  You certainly did score big time.

I remember the story of a guy I knew who bought a second hand band saw from a RC priest.  The priest said he had to confess that it was not a good band saw at all but my buddy bought it anyway.  He had spotted that all that was wrong with it was the blade had been put in backwards!

:imaposer:
Love everyone, regardless of where their ancestry lies............we all bleed red...........we are all on this rock together.........be nice to people.......

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7696 on: August 12, 2019, 02:56:17 am »
I never left the house today.

Well, I did leave the house and went into the garden and the workshop, but I never left the property  :peepwall:

I started off the day doing quiet jobs as it was still very early and I didn't want to disturb the neighbours. I washed off the front porch where the Crepe Myrtle trees and the Plumbago had deposited their blossoms and leaves and stuff and made a big mess. I used a broom to loosen them up and wash them away.

Then I cleaned the little inflatable pool. The cover has been on for over a week now, and with the damp and the heat it was getting pretty scuzzy under there. A good scrubbing and a chlorine tab in the floater and a top up with water and it was ready for a dip  :biggrin:

Then I started in the workshop...

First I took y'all a couple of pics of what the west wall looks like before I get started.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7697 on: August 12, 2019, 03:01:40 am »
As you can see, none of the workbenches are the same height, and they are just a mis-match and hodge-podge of stuff that was either already here, and stuff I had brought with me.

I pulled everything away from the wall and started placing the tools in the spots that I had thought would work. I wanted the drill press right at the end at the door, but after measuring everything up I decided that it had to move to the east wall at the window. Lots of natural light for my old eyes, and more importantly I now has just enough room on the west wall for all the tools to fit properly.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7698 on: August 12, 2019, 03:03:48 am »
As you can see I did have help.

Maggie decided that it was too hot and passed out under the one workbench.

And Sammy... well Sammy is always just in yer FACE  :eek7:  :imaposer:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7699 on: August 12, 2019, 03:13:32 am »
A big storm broke.

We had almost 3 inches of rain in around 45 minutes  :eek7:

But if you don't like the weather in Florida, just wait a few minutes...  :lol8:

The sun soon came out again and I was able to get the mitre saw outside on its stand and cut up the wood I needed to start the framework for the new workbench.

Slowly the assembly started, I started at the door end, because the floor slopes away towards the back doors a little. I wanted the new workbench to be level. I screwed the cross beams to the back beams, then using the spirit level I got it levelled and screwed to the wall.

Then I cut and added the first 4 vertical beams, and added the front cross beams, upper and lower. The cross beam section where the table saw will go will be removed later, but I left it in situ for now to help make sure I got the whole assembly level and square. When I was done with the first section it was level in both planes, and perfectly vertical as well. And the whole structure was perfectly square too. I am happy with the progress so far.

I placed the first two tools in their places (roughly) with some scrap plywood, just to get a visual confirmation.  :thumleft: