Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 897762 times)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #7720 on: August 15, 2019, 04:31:59 am »
After getting home I headed out to the workshop for some head space.

Making sawdust is strangely therapeutic. And actually constructing stuff that you will use for many years to come lifts the spirits.

I am happy to announce that the rough framework for the new workbench is complete. It is also perfectly square and level :thumleft:  :ricky:

Next up I will start to construct the shelves where the various tools will live...  :deal:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #7721 on: August 15, 2019, 05:57:25 am »
Gary strongs with the hand, that's a lot of money and so sad that health care has become a goldmine.
SA is on the same route, nowadays a medical aid is not enough and you need gap cover as well.
As you know one do not want to end up in a provincial hospital in Gauteng or NW.

Yesterday the radio was interrupted by thunderstorm warning. It gave regular updates and the wind was up to 80 miles an hour. They told us to hide, not behind windows etc and said that RV's may be blown over and the power may go off and that trees may fall. I could not take photos but it was quite something! We did not get much rain albeit the wind at 50miles an hour.

Overly impressed with the States, and if they could get the medical services sorted to an affordable level it would have been even better.  :3some:

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #7722 on: August 15, 2019, 08:12:00 am »
Mr Zog, that work bench is going to be super impressive, but maybe you should consider first digging a moat and putting up a windmill  :eek7: :eek7:

... and getting the dogs floaties.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #7723 on: August 15, 2019, 10:08:49 pm »
Watching DSTV channel 155 now (I m cheap ok) where they have this program I almost got away with it and a name popped up I recognised - Cocoa Beach and Brevard county. I immediately recognized it!

S5E59 - Got to run to Costa Rica

You guys are famous!
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7724 on: August 15, 2019, 10:20:17 pm »
More rain. Not a gentle drizzle. The deluge. I'm building an ark. I already have a pair of dogs!  :imaposer:

Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #7725 on: August 16, 2019, 02:05:16 am »
I work for a good boss.

Today I went past the shop to pick up a pump that I needed for a job. Boss man was there, he calls me over. I figured I had done something wrong, was gonna get balled out.

Wrong. Boss tells me that he knows that next weeks surgery will probably cost me a whole lot of money for the co-pay. He tells me that I can swipe the company credit card that I carry for up to $1 000.00 for the co-pay.

I was speechless.

I thanked him profusely. He gave me a man-hug. I left and worked late again, in the rain, with a happy heart.
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Online big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #7726 on: August 16, 2019, 02:30:05 am »
Okay okay, boss man just grew on me a little  :sip: , Im still a little bah humbug though.  :xxbah:

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #7727 on: August 16, 2019, 03:14:49 am »
Your boss knows what he has in you!
Gary Player once said that it was funny that the harder he worked at his golf the luckier he got with his shots!
Same applies to you, you work hard and it is noted and rewarded when needed!
Good on you!
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline OomD

« Reply #7728 on: August 16, 2019, 05:58:56 am »
Wow now that is a boss that knows how to invest in his employees. You don't get that too often. Gary I must add that he's obviously doing it because of who you are, and how you work. If you were just a regular 9 to 5 guy I don't think that gesture would've been forthcoming. So in a way you brought this on yourself. Good on you, and good on your boss for being so human.

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #7729 on: August 16, 2019, 06:42:34 am »
More rain. Not a gentle drizzle. The deluge. I'm building having Mr Zog build me an ark. I already have a pair of dogs!  :imaposer:

Fixed that for ya :laughing4:

Wrong. Boss tells me that he knows that next weeks surgery will probably cost me a whole lot of money for the co-pay. He tells me that I can swipe the company credit card that I carry for up to $1 000.00 for the co-pay.

I was speechless.

I'm tearing up a little, and it's not even light here yet :'-)

Good on ya!
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #7730 on: August 16, 2019, 07:58:00 am »
Good on ya!

There's your reason - the no light yet...
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #7731 on: August 16, 2019, 10:38:56 am »
Well.

It comes around. (All your dedication)

Good luck.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #7732 on: August 16, 2019, 12:33:33 pm »
Very nice - must you pay it back?
Eat life!

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #7733 on: August 16, 2019, 12:55:06 pm »
I work for a good boss.

Today I went past the shop to pick up a pump that I needed for a job. Boss man was there, he calls me over. I figured I had done something wrong, was gonna get balled out.

I was speechless.

I thanked him profusely. He gave me a man-hug. I left and worked late again, in the rain, with a happy heart.

Why is there dust in my eye...    That is awesome Oom Zog  :thumleft:
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7734 on: August 16, 2019, 07:58:51 pm »
More rain. Not a gentle drizzle. The deluge. I'm building having Mr Zog build me an ark. I already have a pair of dogs!  :imaposer:

Fixed that for ya :laughing4:

I was speechless.

I'm tearing up a little, and it's not even light here yet :'-)

Good on ya!

Thanks for fixing that, Ri!
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7735 on: August 16, 2019, 10:54:51 pm »
I'm getting rather pissed off with dentists in this country.

Last year I went for a routine dental cleaning with a local dentist's "$59 new patient special", which included cleaning and X-rays. When I got there, I told them I don't want the X-rays, just the cleaning. She looked at me like I was from Mars. I proceeded to explain very patiently.

I'm not opposed to X-rays in any way, shape or form. I used to be a medic, how could I be? However, I have an extremely small mouth, dentally speaking, because I have four molars that I'm missing that never came in when my baby teeth fell out, and I had to have braces to close the gaps. So there is very little room to maneuver in there. So when dentists try to shove those contrast plates in there, which are rather large, it's painful and tends to make me gag, cough, splutter, eyes watering, you get the picture. It's torture. So I tend not to get X-rays until I absolutely need to, and then it's an ordeal.

They eventually gave in and cleaned my teeth but with a shitty attitude and basically told me "never come back here again."

So I made an appointment at another local dentist for a cleaning today, and when I made the appointment, I said, "I just need a cleaning. Nothing else." So of course I get there today and it's the same story. They said that because of the law (what law, dental law?  ::)) they cannot establish me as a patient without X-rays, and they cannot clean my teeth without me being an established patient. I eventually reached a compromise. They will see me at their second location where they can do a Panorex (the X-ray thingie that goes around you while you bite down on a plate). Ok. Fine. I can do that.

But good grief. It's not rocket science. I just want my teeth cleaned. I don't think I'm being unreasonable. Luckily I have very healthy teeth.

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #7736 on: August 17, 2019, 03:28:15 am »
Your boss is a wise man, that is the way small business should be run. You take care of your crew and they will take care of the company.
Our health care system is a mess. Mostly due to government regulations and interference. The individual market is the worst by far. We are part of a group plan through the company  which is paying off well. I have racked up well over 200k in medical cost in the last six months, (cancer), and my out of pocket is less than $400 so far. So the system can work but they stick it to the individual that is just buying there own. "Obama care" just made it worse.
Best of luck to you, make the boss lots of money and maybe the company can put together a health care plan for employees.
Bob
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

The following users thanked this post: Catchy

Offline Shukran

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • In Abu Dhabi missing Johannesburg
« Reply #7737 on: August 17, 2019, 05:48:45 am »
Your boss is a wise man, that is the way small business should be run. You take care of your crew and they will take care of the company.
Our health care system is a mess. Mostly due to government regulations and interference. The individual market is the worst by far. We are part of a group plan through the company  which is paying off well. I have racked up well over 200k in medical cost in the last six months, (cancer), and my out of pocket is less than $400 so far. So the system can work but they stick it to the individual that is just buying there own. "Obama care" just made it worse.
Best of luck to you, make the boss lots of money and maybe the company can put together a health care plan for employees.
Bob

What would happen if you had no medical plan and no 200k? Would you just have to die?

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #7738 on: August 17, 2019, 06:19:08 am »
Mrs Z, I have the same problem - I also gag very easily.

Fortunately, I have a dentist that I have been with for 25+ years and we have established a protocol to work around it.
1. All my appointments are early morning- before breakfast so my stomach is empty.
2. For X-rays, we only use small plates, held in position by my own finger.
3. When a saliva extractor is needed, I operate the vacuum tube.
4. If I must have molds taken for crowns etc, the top and lower jaws are taken separately using plastic holders with me sitting up.

Put anything metal into my mouth and I am guaranteed to puke!
A previous dentist discovered this.  Using two consulting rooms with chairs, he would push through more patients per hour by going from patient to patient while a waiting time passed.  Against my request, he insisted on taking top and bottom molds simultaneously with metal full jaw mold frames and then leaving me alone to go to another patient in the next room.  I could not handle being forced to lie back with two metal mold frames filling up my mouth.  I was unable to breathe properly. I threw up all over his chair and floor and the process had to be abandoned. 
(The next time I asked for an early appointment I got one!)

I have a soft palate that tends to close up when my head is back on the lowered chair, so I tend to breathe through my mouth.
This is not good for drilling and bits coming off - I get anxious about stuff going down my throat.
Deep breathing through my mouth before any process is started and controlled shallow breathing through my nose during the process helps.
I have never had a Panorex x-ray so I can't tell.

(As an aside on cleaning of teeth, I have stopped using toothpaste entirely for around 3 years now.
I use Listerine mouthwash and a toothbrush.
I sip some mouthwash and swirl it around in my mouth, then do the toothbrush thing over the basin...
"up and down, not side to side and small circles against the gums."
Then I sip some more and gargle, followed by a good clean of the tongue with the brush as far back as I can stand it.
If I feel I am coming down with a cold or sore throat, I use Andolex mouthwash instead for improved germ control.
I have not suffered any new cavities and my only dental work since adopting this regime has been a recent repair to a bridge over 15 years old that fractured its rear locking peg.)
HEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7739 on: August 17, 2019, 06:01:50 pm »
Oh no, you are a lot worse off than I am. It's really just the bitewing X-rays I can't do, everything else is no problem. For the Panorex X-ray, you stand up and there is a little plate at chin level. You just bite down on it with your two front teeth - top and bottom (like a bunny nibbling a carrot), and the machine rotates around you.

As I was really pissed off last night, I did some research and the American Dental Association actually recommends against using X-rays on every patient. Their protocols recommend doing an exam and then only doing specific X-rays for specific problems. So this notion that it's "the law" is just bullshit. They either just want to cover their asses or they want to make more money. I think I may just see if I can find a holistic dentist or something.

That said, I'm going to contribute to collective household tooth decay and tackle a super fancy cheesecake recipe today. I'll make a berry coulis with it for over top, something like mixed berries simmered in sweet red wine until thickened... I'm just waiting for Mr. Zog to come back from Home Depot with fresh batteries for my precision kitchen scale. I told him: No batteries, no cheesecake. That got him out the door fast.  :biggrin: