Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 881116 times)

Offline Mrs. Zog

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #7740 on: August 17, 2019, 06:08:49 pm »
Your boss is a wise man, that is the way small business should be run. You take care of your crew and they will take care of the company.
Our health care system is a mess. Mostly due to government regulations and interference. The individual market is the worst by far. We are part of a group plan through the company  which is paying off well. I have racked up well over 200k in medical cost in the last six months, (cancer), and my out of pocket is less than $400 so far. So the system can work but they stick it to the individual that is just buying there own. "Obama care" just made it worse.
Best of luck to you, make the boss lots of money and maybe the company can put together a health care plan for employees.
Bob

What would happen if you had no medical plan and no 200k? Would you just have to die?

Well, more or less. If it's an emergency, they have to stabilize you, that's about it. A friend of of a friend was diagnosed with cancer a couple of ago, and he doesn't have health insurance. His bills ended up in debt collection, and basically they take everything they legally can from you until you're poor enough to qualify for public assistance and Medicaid. Sad but true. But a lot of medical places will not even treat you if you can't pay up front. So yeah, you're screwed.

We buy our own health insurance because I'm terrified of being without if we should need it. I pay more per month for health insurance than for our mortgage. Eventually, there will come a time when we can no longer afford it. I really don't know what we'll do then.
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7741 on: August 17, 2019, 09:59:10 pm »
UPDATE:

That cheesecake! Oh my God that cheesecake. It's labor-intensive, takes hours, and needs to cool overnight. But it looks like it's going to be amazing. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Through mismanagement on the client side, I unexpectedly have my whole weekend free. I plan to read lots, lounge around, and do as little as possible.

Happy weekend everyone!  8)

Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline immigrant

« Reply #7742 on: August 17, 2019, 11:56:17 pm »
I really don't know what we'll do then.

You move to Canada....
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7743 on: August 18, 2019, 02:13:54 am »
Well, we have Medicare. If you're a law-abiding person and pay your taxes like you should, you pay into Medicare. Medicare kicks in when you're 65, and it's a federal health insurance plan for your retirement. The idea is that you're paying into it via your taxes as long as you're working, and then you're taken care of in retirement. I have a friend who just started on it, and he's quite happy with it. The problem is making it another 20 years until I get to 65! And then hoping that the government will still have funds to pay out my Medicare, which is questionable.

P.S. And yes, there's the VA, where I can go to get medical care. But I've been there, and it's not an experience I want to repeat. I'd have to be dying with no other options to go back there. That said, there are many veterans who are happy with the VA. My personal experience was awful.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 02:20:53 am by Mrs. Zog »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #7744 on: August 18, 2019, 03:48:00 am »
On a happier note...  :peepwall:

I made a whole lot of sawdust today  :ricky:  :imaposer:

I am on call again this weekend, but so far, touch wood, I haven't been called out yet. So I spent the day working on my new workbench in my workshop.

I had to run off to Home Depot for some supplies (screws, drawer sliders, etc) and some CR2032 batteries for the chef's kitchen scale. But the rest of the day I was just happily making sawdust and shavings  :biggrin:

The biggest headache of this whole build is the table saw setup. I have spent hours thinking about how I was going to do it. The saw does need to move back from the wall so that I can cut wood wider than 2 inches with it before the wood hits up against the wall. My first plan was to put the saw in a drawer that would pull out. But I cancelled that plan for two reasons; 1. The drawer would very quickly fill up with sawdust, and then I'd have to either remove the saw to get it out, or have some other engineered plan to get it out, and 2. The plastic base of the saw is badly cracked and damaged. I bought it like that, hence why I only paid $20 for it some years ago. The saw works great, but a new plastic base off Ebay will cost me way more than I paid for the saw.

So I came up with a different idea. I decided to attach the sliders to the side of the table itself. That way the plastic base no longer has any stress on it, so shouldn't crack any further. And the sawdust I make will just drop down into the bottom of the cabinet where I can sweep it up or vacuum it out.

I made two planks that attached to the framework of the workbench from MDF. They bolt to the 2x4's. and they have slotted holes so that I can fine-tune the height adjustment to get the table saw table perfectly level with the workbench surface. Then I made two MDF planks that I doubled up for additional rigidity that I attached to the sides of the table saw table with bolts.

I attached the drawer sliders (2 sliders per side, the saw is heavy and I want zero play or sag) to the two sets of planks I had made. Then I had to cut away the front top cross beam from the workbench frame. Finally I removed the stand from the base of the table saw and slid the drawer sliders into each other.

The relief that I felt when everything actually fit was enormous! I am still pretty new at this working in inches and feet kak, but I got it spot-on! The table saw can now slide back up to 24 inches from it's original stowed position, and I am able to cut planks up to around 40 inches wide!

I am very pleased with the day's work!

Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7745 on: August 18, 2019, 03:51:24 am »
More pics...  :sip:

In between designing and building the slider system for the table saw I also made the stowing shelves for the band saw, the grinder, and the sander. But they were simple jobs, I'll get some pics of them tomorrow.

Now it's time for a brandy  :drif:  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #7746 on: August 18, 2019, 05:09:54 am »
United States of America - the Land of the Free...

...except for health care, which is neither free nor affordable.

(Edited to take out R+P stuff.)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 12:49:26 pm by Fudmucker »
HEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #7747 on: August 18, 2019, 07:07:33 am »
What a clever idea with the saw table.

Moooooi
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #7748 on: August 18, 2019, 07:16:40 am »
Circular saws scare me at the best of times, one on slides would give me nightmares.  :peepwall:
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive, they'd eventually find me attractive.

Offline Splash

« Reply #7749 on: August 18, 2019, 08:13:39 am »
Circular saws scare me at the best of times, one on slides would give me nightmares.  :peepwall:
Looks a little sketchy to me to.
Gone traveling.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #7750 on: August 18, 2019, 05:02:28 pm »
Neat work; becoming a dream workshop and then we read about that famous cheesecake  :drif:
Closest I got to that in the states was an ice cream tub with a cherry and cheesecake flafour....wow super stuff and a bargain at 5usd!

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7751 on: August 19, 2019, 02:41:33 am »
Looks a little sketchy to me to.

Oh ye of little faith  :deal:  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Today I completed the installation of the table saw. I used the piece of MDF that I cut out of the table surface to make an insert that fits in behind the table saw when it is extended. The table saw has a little pin that sticks out at the back, about 5-6mm in diameter. It's part of a shaft that holds the inner workings together. I drilled a hole in the back of the table surface so that the pin can locate inside the hole and help keep the table saw really secure. It also means that there is virtually no gap between the back of the saw table and the workbench surface.

With the insert piece I drilled two holes horizontally into the piece and using epoxy glue I glued in two bolt shanks. I then drilled two corresponding holes into the back of the workbench surface that the bolt shanks locate into. In the front of the insert plank I drilled another horizontal hole for the pin on the back of the table saw to locate into. The insert also rests on the backs of the two wooden sides that I made that bolt to the side of the table saw frame.

Sounds very complicated, but it isn't. Just took a whole lot of measuring and measuring again, then cutting and drilling etc.

I also removed the bolts holding the side pieces to the table saw and carefully drilled a larger hole into each hole to sink the head of the bolt into for a flush fit. I sed a Forstner bit to do this, and used smaller washers. Now the table saw is really a snug fit. I also doubled up on the number of screws holding the sliders, just to be extra safe.

I used the table saw several times today while making the fittings for the mitre saw, and it worked really well. No shaking, no unwanted sliding around,good and solid.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7752 on: August 19, 2019, 02:43:04 am »
Of course the dogs were helping me too  :biggrin:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7753 on: August 19, 2019, 02:55:08 am »
After completing the table saw I started to tackle the mitre saw.

The mitre saw needs to be as far forward on the workbench surface as possible, but still leaving enough room for the workbench surface to support long bits that I want to cut. The mitre saw is also mounted at the window for a reason, because the slides need as much space as possible, and the window is recessed by about 3 inches from the inside of the wall, the mitre saw can JUST reach full slide without touching the window. I could have made the whole workbench wider to accommodate the mitre saw, but I wanted the workbench the same width as the side wall where it meets the double door so that I would have enough room to push the Jon boat into the workshop when the hurricanes come.

The mitre saw is mounted to a MDF base that just slides out of a receiver in the workbench, and then I slide it into the shelf under the workbench. I made the shelf under the workbench wider than all the other stations so that when I turn the mitre saw to 45 degrees then it just fits in without any parts sticking out to snag my knee etc.

I made the receiver for the mitre saw adjustable as well, again using MDF sides with slotted holes so that when I am done with the workbench surface I can make to final adjustments to get the saw perfectly aligned with the table surface. I'll get more pics of the mitre saw install another day.  It was already starting to get dark when I called it a day in the workshop, I still needed to mow the grass before it got completely dark. Finally after mowing the lawn I gave myself a haircut and a shave, then had an awesome hot shower.

Now it's time to relax with a dop and keep y'all updated.  :ricky:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7754 on: August 19, 2019, 02:56:42 am »
Herewith the promised pic of Mrs Zog's amazing cheesecake...  :drif: :drif: :drif:

She made a berry couli to top it with, it was   :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #7755 on: August 19, 2019, 05:11:51 am »
Herewith the promised pic of Mrs Zog's amazing cheesecake...  :drif: :drif: :drif:

She made a berry couli to top it with, it was   :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif:

:drif:  :drif: That looks lekker!!

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #7756 on: August 19, 2019, 05:39:03 am »

Oh lawwwwwwwwwwd  :drif:

That looks similar to the decadent raspberry chocolate cheesecake with extra raspberry topping I used to order at Olive Garden until they removed it from their menu  :'(
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 07:42:26 am by big oil »

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #7757 on: August 19, 2019, 05:49:03 am »
Mr Zog,

I MAY be near Vero Beach this weekend, is VB near you by chance?

Iíve been invited by an old friend of mine to come down and Captain her vessel for her birthday!

What do I get in exchange, you ask?

Lodging in her home, she will wine and dine me, she will have my favorite bourbon.

She claims to have a lovely queen size mattress.

I asked her what happens if the tip of my submarine touches her boathouse.

She answered no problem.

What kind of mangy old scoundrel wild dog would decline such an invitation?

Kinda of a long drive.

I have a few days to make up my mind.

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #7758 on: August 19, 2019, 07:24:46 am »
Great idea on the table-saw, but unfortunately you will not be able to RIP long pieces of timber.
How about putting a hinge one one corner so that hen it slides out of its sleeping place, it turns 90 degrees and you can rip your wood. :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #7759 on: August 19, 2019, 09:17:55 am »
Mr Zog,

I MAY be near Vero Beach this weekend, is VB near you by chance?

Iíve been invited by an old friend of mine to come down and Captain her vessel for her birthday!

What do I get in exchange, you ask?

Lodging in her home, she will wine and dine me, she will have my favorite bourbon.

She claims to have a lovely queen size mattress.

I asked her what happens if the tip of my submarine touches her boathouse.

She answered no problem.

What kind of mangy old scoundrel wild dog would decline such an invitation?

Kinda of a long drive.

I have a few days to make up my mind.

Only a gay one... >:D :peepwall:
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)