Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 884036 times)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #7780 on: August 22, 2019, 02:08:59 am »
I spent some time in my workshop this afternoon.

Just tidying up a bit, vacuuming up all the sawdust I made the last few days, planning the next moves...

The pain has subsided somewhat, thanks in part I'm sure to brandy on top of the pain meds  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

I'm also feeling a bit better about the Ford (Found On Rubbish Dump) breaking down again too. Hopefully by the weekend it will revert to First On Race Day again...  :ricky:  :imaposer:

When it's back up and running again I will go back to the dealer I bought it from 3 years ago and see if there is any chance of getting it traded in for a later model with less mileage. I just cannot afford to deal with broken down vehicles, and at almost 200 000 miles I have a feeling that it's "Best By" date may be fast approaching. But I'll only do a deal if they can match my current payments.  :deal:

Tomorrow I'll be back at work, I have some band-aids to put over my wound, and I have a box of thick rubber gloves in case I need to do any wet work. The "appie" that will work with me tomorrow is a guy that is actually about 5 years older than me. He just retired from the US Air Force, and after his wife died last year from cancer he has decided to go back to work to be able to keep paying his mortgage. His military pension just isn't enough, and I have a feeling that he also wants the company and to keep busy, keep his mind off other stuff. He is a really good guy, we have worked together several times now. I'm looking forward to it.   :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #7781 on: August 22, 2019, 05:00:54 am »
Two ou bokkies with army experience to talk about the Old Days while working together and earning money...?
Seems like a good deal to me.    :thumleft:
He can do all the right-hand threaded piping and you can do the left-hand threaded piping.  ;)
He can also do the driving in the meanwhile.
Just don't be training your own replacement, boet!  :o
HEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #7782 on: August 22, 2019, 05:13:07 am »
...They actually called me today to get their payment already. How fucking forward is that? Make you pay up front, a day before the procedure, before they will even let you in the door.... Maybe they got burned before with other patients not paying? I just find it fucking rude to be frank...

Medics get their receptionists to do all that being rude about money stuff.
That way than can appear to be "professional" when they meet the patient.
If you do actually complain, they say: "I'm sorry, she wasn't supposed to do that. I'll speak to the receptionist so she doesn't do that again."
Of course the medic doesn't say a thing. 

Online grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #7783 on: August 22, 2019, 08:11:47 am »
Good to see you not sitting about Gary.

Use the “off time” well.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Ganjora

« Reply #7784 on: August 22, 2019, 09:26:03 am »
keep going mr zog.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7785 on: August 22, 2019, 02:49:25 pm »
I have crazy work deadlines today and will be out tomorrow morning, but I will reply to all PMs as soon as I can, I promise! Thank you everyone for being so incredibly generous!

In the meantime, here is a sunrise pic I took yesterday morning. It reminds me of the Japanese "rising sun" flag.

Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Online big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #7786 on: August 22, 2019, 02:52:19 pm »
Koool pic

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #7787 on: August 22, 2019, 03:48:32 pm »
Foute Orals, Reparasies Daagliks…

Good luck with quick recovery on the "Viking" hand, Mr Zog!

Online big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #7788 on: August 22, 2019, 04:57:32 pm »
200,000 miles on a 4.6 isn't by any means worn out, unless the previous owner abused the truck.

Cop cars and taxis cabs almost all had 4.6L, it's a robust design.  Many people in my area buy old Michigan State Police cars with the 4.6L because used parts are everywhere.  It's not uncommon to see the 4.6L car engines with 300k-500k miles on them, granted they haven't towed anything. 

Herewith a few comments from the F150 forum on 4.6L:

My old 98 had 450,000km on it my 2000 was at 420 when I traded in and I have a buddy who just rolled 620,000 on his 97 all with 4.6's

My dads has 250,000 and mine has 190,000.

Expect to do a timing chain on it at some point. With most motors, if you treat them well, keep up with maintenance and educate yourself on the strengths and weaknesses, then 300,000 miles is not an unrealistic life expectancy...
Engines can be a lot like pencils. If you sharpen them up, they will work like new. But at some point, you will run out of "useful" lead.. It may still write, but not very well.
If you make it to 300k then expect all the internals tight tolerances to at least be "loose" or "loosening" (piston rings, wrist pins, journals, bearings, seals, valves and cam lobes to name a few). A rebuild at an excessively high milage would be prudent to avoid catastrophic engine failure... At that point, its probably cheaper and of course easier for most to just buy a remanufactured or new motor... Either way, if I hit 300k, I would start to make preparations to rebuild or replace the motor. Buying a donor vehicle can be a great way to have an extra tranny and motor + other parts ready and waiting..
The tranny lasting past 300k would certainly be rare, even with light maintenance.. Expect to need a new one ever 300k or at least a modest rebuild...

I was told about a guy who bought a 1997 F-150 4.6L brand new, and drove it every day working for an oil company. He did lots of highway miles and serviced it regularly. When it started getting high mileage, he decided to keep it and see how long it would last. Well, the truck ended up with 728,000 kms or 452,000 miles and it finally was so wore that it would not start anymore - no compression left. Needless to say, the last few thousand miles it was tired and ready to die.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7789 on: August 22, 2019, 11:51:40 pm »
Just a quick FYI regarding the GoFundMe.

When I ask here for someone who has just donated to send me a PM, the reason is that when I get a notification from GoFundMe that someone has donated, all I see is "John has donated $50." That's it. Then I have to guess who that could be.

I get an option to send a Thank You message via GoFundMe, but I don't see the donor's full name or e-mail address. So I always ask for a PM if I'm not sure who it is, it's so much nicer to thank someone properly with a PM here. I know that most people who donate want to remain anonymous, and I'll always keep it that way.

:thumleft:
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7790 on: August 23, 2019, 12:05:35 am »
Some very sad local news...

On Friday morning two firefighters went fishing off Port Canaveral with their boat. They didn't return that evening as planned. A search was started, that rapidly got bigger and bigger. On Monday they found a tackle bag belonging to one of the firefighters about 50 Miles offshore and about 100 Miles North of Post Canaveral.

Since then they have not found anything else.

The Gulf Stream current flows Northward, averaging about 5 MPH, and this has turned the search area for the two missing firefighters into a massive area.

I have been monitoring the news as often as I could, I have fished that area before with my buddy Pieter on his boat.

They just announced that the search would be called off at sunset today, that is in about 2 hours time.

More here   https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/search-for-firefighters-missing-during-florida-fishing-trip-to-be-called-off/ar-AAGbEf5?ocid=spartanntp

I'm sure that their families are completely devastated, maybe those of you that pray could offer up a prayer to try and console the families?

Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Online big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #7791 on: August 23, 2019, 01:40:00 am »
That sucks, bummer to lose anyone that way, especially a couple of firefighters.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 04:43:29 am by big oil »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #7792 on: August 23, 2019, 05:32:47 am »
That sucks, bummer to lose anyone, especially a couple of firefighters.

EMS personnel are like family to us, so sad. I did here it on the news headlines today as well  :'(

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #7793 on: August 23, 2019, 06:46:54 am »
The Sea is a wonderful gift to us, but sometimes she is a cruel bitch !  :'(

Online tulips

• Bike: Peugeot (all models)
« Reply #7794 on: August 23, 2019, 08:49:50 am »
Very sad to lose guys like that
Do you have Safetrx app available there ? perfect simple safety and rescue system for your "inshore" type of recreational boating  Dry bag and a smartphone
Very funny Mr Geller can i please get my bike back

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7795 on: August 25, 2019, 03:35:00 am »
I'm happy to announce that the bakkie is fixed.  :biggrin:

This morning I went to the bank to deposit my salary cheque, then we took the dogs for their annual shots.

When I got home I put up the pop-up gazebo over the front of the bakkie so that I could work in the shade. Then I got to work... I put on a rubber glove and a work glove over that on my gammy hand to protect the wound, but despite that I did pull the wound open slightly while straining on the spanners. But I think it'll be ok. I'm trying to keep the wound clean and infection free.

After I finally finished tapping the new thread I rinsed it all with carb cleaner and blew it out with the air line. I'm really glad I set up the compressor lines in the workshop  :ricky:  Then I went off to the spares shop to get a new spark plug and some red Loctite for the insert. Back home I used the old plug to turn the insert in with the Locktite, used the special tool to flare over the end of the insert, and turned in the new spark plug. Then I re installed all the components that I had to remove to get to the plug hole. I also repaired the coil pack where the plug had blown the attachment ear off it with superglue and baking soda. When all the components had been installed I let the bakkie sit for several hours so that the Locktite could cure properly.

Then I got busy again inside the workshop with the workbench. I make up some internal sides to isolate the table saw so that sawdust from it would not get to all the other tool bays, I made some more shelves for the bays, and I started building the framework for the table router to attach to the underside of the workbench.

Finally I took the bakkie for a test drive, and it's running perfectly. Just a "check engine" warning light that stays on. Hopefully it will go out by itself, maybe I need to disconnect the battery to get it to reset? Any ideas?

Dinner and a shower, and then an early(ish)  :peepwall:  night, I'm pretty bushed.  But happy, the bakkie is running again  :ricky:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #7796 on: August 25, 2019, 03:43:46 am »
Good on you for getting the bakkie fixed Gary  :thumleft:

Think what it would have cost if you had to get it repaired in a shop!  :eek7:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7797 on: August 25, 2019, 04:01:34 am »
Good on you for getting the bakkie fixed Gary  :thumleft:

Think what it would have cost if you had to get it repaired in a shop!  :eek7:

Thanks Tom  :thumleft:

The last time this happened I was looking at around $1 500 to $2 000  :eek7:

Hence why I attended the International University of Google and YouTube :peepwall:  :imaposer:  :ricky:

Total cost today was $4 for the spark plug (Motorcraft genuine Platinum plug) and $7 for the Locktite. I already had the special tools and an extra insert. Last time the special tools and the inserts cost around $100 if I remember correctly.  :thumleft:

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #7798 on: August 25, 2019, 06:06:11 am »
Engine light sometimes resets only after 3 drives😎
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive, they'd eventually find me attractive.

Online Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #7799 on: August 25, 2019, 07:12:29 am »
Gary check your ecu connector.
Most vehicles use the OBD2 diagnostics.
You can buy a bluetooth dongle for a few $ ( R350 +-) and you download Torque light diagnostics on ab Android phone and you can check/ diagnoste and get into your ECU for most diy applications very cheap.
I found it very handy and have helped a few people woth mine when broken down.
Ford is one of the vehicles it is very compatible with.
Dakar 650
KLR650