Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 923203 times)

JimboXT, Skeltonsc and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline TeeJay

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #7940 on: September 03, 2019, 09:36:06 am »
What fruit is that hanging from your tree?
Eat life!

Offline Vuurmaker

« Reply #7941 on: September 03, 2019, 09:43:52 am »
Found on SA weather as a comparison

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #7942 on: September 03, 2019, 12:06:19 pm »
Wow - it's huge!

Come in Zog's - it must be 06h16 Tuesday morning there - what's happening?
Eat life!

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #7943 on: September 03, 2019, 12:22:40 pm »
We are all still ok.  I'll give another update after I get some coffee  :sip:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #7944 on: September 03, 2019, 12:24:13 pm »
That hurricane is weird, itís stationary, hurricanes never become stationary, aliens I tell you.  :sip:
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #7945 on: September 03, 2019, 12:32:20 pm »
 :sip: Trust all be ok

Online mox

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Formerly knows as HONDAKAWA11
« Reply #7946 on: September 03, 2019, 12:53:02 pm »
That hurricane is weird, itís stationary, hurricanes never become stationary, aliens I tell you.  :sip:
Pressure system from the north that is 'stalling' it I think. But yes the likes of an Avengers script are playing games in reality.  Time for aluminum hats  :sip:

Hope this subsides soon.
Klr 650 , Z800 - My blood is green.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7947 on: September 03, 2019, 12:54:23 pm »
What fruit is that hanging from your tree?

Oranges. Update soon after morning coffee  :thumleft:
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #7948 on: September 03, 2019, 01:00:14 pm »
You better update before the internet goes down. :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7949 on: September 03, 2019, 01:40:17 pm »
Ok, busy with my second cup of "wake up"  :lol8:

It was a very restless night, squalls coming through constantly with wind gusts rattling the shutters and rain. But still no hurricane-force winds.

The very latest satellite pics show that the eye of Dorian may just have started wobbling slightly east and north. It is still stalled over Grand Bahamas, and wind speeds are still over 120 MPH sustained. At least 5 confirmed deaths as a result of the storm from the Bahamas, I expect this to rise significantly once the storm moves away and the rescue crews can get in.

The Royal Navy and the US Coast Guard are standing by just outside of the fringes of the storm to get in and get help to these poor people. Imagine being inside a blender, for over 24 hours. Initial footage from the Bahamas is showing massive devastation.

The track of the storm northwards will likely be well offshore of the Florida coast, and the latest wind projections show that we (the location of the Zog house) should not get Hurricane-force winds. We will still get Tropical storm-Force winds (up to 74 MPH - 120 km/h) and squalls of rain, but it's certainly looking like we just may have dodged a very big bullet here.

The TV is showing footage of the beaches, the waves are getting really big, and with King Tides occurring this week as well there are some pretty awesome waves. Erosion of the beaches is already happening. Regarding the beaches, remember that the ocean here hardly makes any waves at all. The water is very shallow for a very long way out, and waves of 1-2 feet are what we normally get. Sea turtles swim ashore and bury their eggs all along the coast, and right now those nests are being washed open and destroyed.

They just showed the Bahamian Prime Minister on tv, his words - "the devastation is unprecented"   :'(

Because of the stalling of the storm, and when it eventually does get moving again it may move very slowly, we will still have these conditions for at least another 24 hours. Cabin fever is starting to set in. But it may be a good thing, I hurt my hand working on hurricane prep the last few days and the finger that they operated on 2 weeks ago is very swollen and very painful. The enforced rest may just be what it needs right now.

Even with the Hurricane-force winds not getting all the way to our neighbourhood, we can still lose power and /or internet at any time if a tree falls on the line. So if we fall off the grid for a while don't stress it too much. The local Power company has over 17 000 employees and service trucks standing by to get repairs done ASAP.

More news later, time for a shower  :biggrin:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Snuggles

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Race It Break It Fix It, Repeat....
« Reply #7950 on: September 03, 2019, 02:04:02 pm »
Hang in there Zogs, I feel for the poor folks in the Bahamas, I really hope that all will be fine, sterkte!
Look for good in everyone, if you struggle to see it, add some.

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7951 on: September 03, 2019, 02:18:02 pm »
Keeping cabin fever at bay.

I like that the clamshell shutters leave a little gap at the bottom. The chance of debris hitting there is low, and we get some extra daylight and dog entertainment. Also, if we need to go out that way, we can raise the glass pane and cut or kick out the mozzie screen to get out. I like having multiple exit routes...

Keeping the dogs from going crazy has been a challenge. Boredom is high. We let them out into the "pee corral" every time there is a break in the conditions (i.e., between the swirly bands that spin around - it comes in waves). Maggie also keeps busy "hunting" among the pot plants that are now in the garage. Sammy is happy when he can play fetch with his stuffed squirrel toy. We have a long hallway, perfect for fetch. We mix it up by throwing the toy so it lands in the laundry basket for some extra fun. Small pleasures, right?

I looked outside the back now, and that big red-shouldered hawk we've been seeing around was sitting right on the pee corral fence. A beautiful bird. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-shouldered_hawk
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay, Sardine

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #7952 on: September 03, 2019, 03:09:00 pm »
Great news for you guys then - not TOO bad  :thumleft:

Thanks for the updates.
Eat life!

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7953 on: September 03, 2019, 06:16:13 pm »
We're in this with you guys...!

I'm glad you've got the storm protection up.
It does make it rather claustrophobic - more so than steel security gates, palisade fences with electric fences on top as in ZA.
I hope too that the shed with all your tools makes it through okay.
You have scored so much over the years that it would be sad if you had to start all over again.

Then again it is only stuff !  :sip:

Thanks Fuddy  :biggrin:

You are right, if we do lose anything then so be it. It's only material stuff. Both of us have started over from scratch with nothing before, we can do it again.  :thumleft:

C'est la vie  :ricky:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7954 on: September 03, 2019, 06:25:53 pm »
It's just gone 12:30, so the midday update.

The system has weakened further, now down to a Cat 2 hurricane with wind speeds around 110 mph (180km/h). It has also widened, so now we have a higher chance of getting stronger winds again. Maybe even Hurricane force winds...

Eish, things change and keep changing with the weather....  :o

I called up my work colleagues, they are all doing fine. I also called some local mates and they are ok too. I did have some minor damage already from the wind. A gutter downpipe that I put back a long time ago as a temporary fix has come loose  :lol8:  I found it on the lawn during a lull, picked it up and put it in the garage. I'll fix it (properly this time :peepwall: ) after the storm when I can get back into my workshop.

Footage from the Bahamas is just heartbreaking. Reports that 24 feet of sustained surge has obliterated entire villages. The US Coast Guard has already started getting in with choppers to get the injured out. As soon as the waves get lower they will get the ships in. Then the Royal Navy will get in too. Utterly heartbreaking.

Maybe I'll go do a quick spot of fishing in the local pond during a lull...

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7955 on: September 03, 2019, 09:13:05 pm »
The wind is howling now, fairly strong sustained winds and stronger gusts, lots of crap coming off the trees, small and medium branches...

The people diagonally across the street moved out last week, the house is empty and for sale. They piled all of their shit on the street before they left: table, chairs, baby cot, carpeting, boxes, appliances. They did not have the common courtesy (or sense) to dispose of it properly, knowing a big storm is coming. So all of that crap is now tumbling along and will turn into projectiles.

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #7956 on: September 03, 2019, 09:21:58 pm »
Strongs Mr Zog! Glad its relatively ok where you guys are but devastating for the Bahamas, making local news here as well :(

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7957 on: September 03, 2019, 09:47:43 pm »
Power flickering on and off now.

Offline BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #7958 on: September 03, 2019, 10:03:04 pm »
The wind is howling now, fairly strong sustained winds and stronger gusts, lots of crap coming off the trees, small and medium branches...

The people diagonally across the street moved out last week, the house is empty and for sale. They piled all of their shit on the street before they left: table, chairs, baby cot, carpeting, boxes, appliances. They did not have the common courtesy (or sense) to dispose of it properly, knowing a big storm is coming. So all of that crap is now tumbling along and will turn into projectiles.

Eeeeeek!!!, Thats not good. Hope all is ok today. holding thumbs
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."ó Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7959 on: September 03, 2019, 11:30:13 pm »
https://www.facebook.com/wxchasing/videos/481700142664492/

Dunno if this will work... video of the devastation in the Bahamas

edit: it works, just click the link if you are on facebook. Coast Guard recons between 60 - 90% of buildings are destroyed  :eek7:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 11:32:35 pm by Mr Zog »