Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 940076 times)

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2016, 04:38:59 pm »
Mooi!
I wonder where that road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. Appologies to Mr Frost

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline oldmannorman

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • suzuki TS250 ER
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2016, 04:44:42 pm »
Thanks for the post. awesome experience.  :sip:

Offline Coxwain

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Real men ride a pig...
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2016, 05:44:32 pm »
Mr Zog ....If I may be so rude ....but may I ask ....how much did this move cost .....to the nearest R100k would be fine  :peepwall:
PIG LITE....Honda NX 650
Thel PIG... BMW R 1150 GS
The Black Bitch ...Yamaha XT 660 R Black Magic ....Yamaha XT 660 Z
Found my next ride .....BMW 1150 GS ...a mans bike

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2016, 05:48:02 pm »
Mr Zog ....If I may be so rude ....but may I ask ....how much did this move cost .....to the nearest R100k would be fine  :peepwall:

They don't want old counts like us... :biggrin: :biggrin:
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline Coxwain

• Real men ride a pig...
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2016, 06:02:44 pm »
Mr Zog ....If I may be so rude ....but may I ask ....how much did this move cost .....to the nearest R100k would be fine  :peepwall:

They don't want old counts like us... :biggrin: :biggrin:

HEY ...speak for yourself Count Welsh ....Hollywood is begging me to star in a few adult movies .... :imaposer:

I mean ...I've been offered a leading role in " JURASIC DORK" and supporting actor in Game of Thrones ...they want me to be the stunt double for the dwarf in the sex scenes.   
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 06:11:04 pm by Coxwain »
PIG LITE....Honda NX 650
Thel PIG... BMW R 1150 GS
The Black Bitch ...Yamaha XT 660 R Black Magic ....Yamaha XT 660 Z
Found my next ride .....BMW 1150 GS ...a mans bike

Online dirtyXT

Re:
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2016, 06:06:27 pm »
Fantastic reporting keep it up. Also flipped my mind in chicago with the jay walking story... So obedient. Hahaha

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - current

Offline DCR

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2016, 06:20:07 pm »
Great story so far, send us some more.

Offline Hinksding

• is beslaan met ligte hoefysters
  • Bike: Honda XR125L
  • Die aai van Loeriesbaai
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2016, 08:47:54 pm »
Howdy Partner! Lekker report.
Eet vleis! 'n 1 000 000 jakkalse kan nie verkeerd wees nie.

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2016, 09:13:18 pm »
 :imaposer:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline immigrant

« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2016, 09:38:49 pm »
Zog, I hope you read this before you go pump your own "gas". When you are done filling up your own car, and someone is behind you waiting for you to finish, don't be polite and move your car forward before you go and pay inside. They will percieve your polite gesture as you wanting to speed off without paying. The SWAT team will have you surrounded in no time. Don't ask me why I know
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2016, 10:11:49 pm »
Zog, I hope you read this before you go pump your own "gas". When you are done filling up your own car, and someone is behind you waiting for you to finish, don't be polite and move your car forward before you go and pay inside. They will percieve your polite gesture as you wanting to speed off without paying. The SWAT team will have you surrounded in no time. Don't ask me why I know

Eish. Too late....

I have already pumped my own gas. Twice.

The first time I sat there for about 6 minutes before the wife looked at me and asked if I was waiting for her to pump the gas. Then the penny dropped... eish  :imaposer:

I use the bank card. Swipe the card, enter my pin, and select the grade of gas. Then the pump starts up and I fill-er-up. When I'm done I can just close up and drive off... and no R5 tip for the pompjoggie. I also gotta squeegie my own windshield  :o
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Wayne

Re:
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2016, 10:13:28 pm »
So, do tell, how did the job interview go?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
Re:
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2016, 10:21:48 pm »
So, do tell, how did the job interview go?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Eish... I think it went really well. But they said that they had 3 other dudes to interview, and they would let me know next week. I'm pretty positive about it, but tomorrow I'l go apply at a few other places too. Cover my bases.

But the first one, MAN I'd like to get that one... either way, if I get it or I don't, I'll tell you-all where it is/was then. I just don't wanna jinx it yet...  :thumleft: :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2016, 10:24:35 pm »
Oh, and the job was only part-time. About 20 - 25 hours per week. From 5am to around 9-10 am. So lots of time left in the day to find a second job...  :patch:

or to go fishing / surfing / tanning / dog-walking / etc.  :pot:  :ricky:

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 10:42:35 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2016, 10:54:02 pm »
Driving a car in America...  :eek7:

Driving in the USA is very different to driving in SA.

Firstly, they have the steering wheel on the wrong side.  :xxbah:

Do you ou's have any idea how many times I have gotten in on the wrong side of the car?  :peepwall:   I get in, and then... it's like...  "Fok. Someone stole my steering wheel"

But then I remember that I'm in 'merica and its on the uvva saaid. Eish.

And then. These ou's here ride on the wrong side of the road.

Its a kak feeling when you turn up a road and suddenly there are 4 lanes of traffic all coming straight for you, head-on! FOK!!!! Hang a right!!! Bliksem!!!

But so far I only had one "lady"  start hooting and swearing and gooi-ing me finger language. I think she was just having a kak day anyway. Everyone else just stops and then I can reverse or whatever and get onto "my side"  of the street. Maybe they scheme I'm drunk or something? But I have yet to be pulled over by a cop. Touch wood.  Its worse when I'm really tired or thinking hard about other stuff. Then I'm sort of on "auto-pilot" and my autopilot is still calibrated to driving on the left side of the road. But I'm getting better....

The rules of the road are obeyed. Period.

Well... except for two rules...

1. Speeding. I know that I said that they guys here don't speed, but I was wrong. They do. On the biggest highway around here, Interstate 95, or I-95 as its known, the speed limit in most areas is 70 MPH. And they guys do up to around 77 MPH. Apparently the cops here only nail you if you do over 79 MPH on I-95.

2. Talking on cell-phones. Jissis... they ALL talk on their phones. Now this bugs me. Because these guys are all so fricken law-abiding that MAYBE, just MAYBE its not illegal in the State of Florida?

ok, decided to google it. It IS legal to talk on your phone while driving in Florida!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fok my.  :eek7: :eek7: :eek7:

But the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) asks that you do it responsibly.  :imaposer:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:  

Ok, so I just learned something  :deal:  :thumleft:

When you approach a pedestrian crossing that isn't guarded by a traffic light (they don't call them robots here) and there is a person wanting to cross, you stop so they can cross.

They also have something called "Right on Red". This means that if you are at the red traffic light, and you want to turn right, you can do so, as long as its safe to do so. This would be the same in SA as turning left on a red light.... makes sense to me. And it works really well. If you are in a double lane at the red light, you stick to the left lane if you are going straight or turning left. You leave the right lane clear for guys that may want to hang a "Right on Red".  Very courteous and thoughtful these 'mericans.

Driving here is a pleasure. No taxi's. No honking of horns. No taxi's. No cars weaving in and out and jaaging like maniacs. No taxi's. No skorro-skorro's all over. No taxi's.

Did I mention there are no taxi's?  Flippit!!! Everyone just hangs in the queue, waits their turn, and gets to go. Nobody pushes past to get to the front, nobody drives in the emergency lane. Its all just so... civilised.

I like it a lot  O0

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2016, 10:59:17 pm »
No biking?

Here, let me help you  :lamer:

http://www.outdoortrackandtrail.com/Statepages/FL/flpage.htm

http://www.atvflorida.com/where.php

http://forums.cycleworld.com/showthread.php?t=75344

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Old-School-Moto,22/Rockledge-FL-mx-track,355948

Eish. Thats a sore-point right now BB. No biking for me for the foreseeable future. Just no cash spare for a bike.

Oh, and Rockledge, in your last link... thats like the Brakpan of Brevard County  :deal:  :peepwall:  :pot:  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline silvrav

« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2016, 12:36:56 am »
Motorway.. Sounding like a real merican mr zog...  :patch:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2016, 03:23:00 am »
Motorway.. Sounding like a real merican mr zog...  :patch:

I learn fast  :peepwall:  :ricky:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2016, 04:53:06 am »
Eating in America...

We have all heard the stories / rumors / old-wives-tales about Americans being obese because of what they eat. Well... I can confirm it.

I decided that I had to put my body on the line for the sake of a very scientifically planned medical experiment.

Below are the results of some of the experiments that I have tested.

Waffle House.

Three words. O M G  :drif:  :drif:  :drif:

They make a few things besides waffles. Burgers, sandwiches, etc. And their hash-browns are to die for. You can order toppings with the hash-browns; onions (smothered) cheese (covered) button mushrooms (capped) and a few various others. I had the hash-browns "covered & smothered". O-my-fok... dis bliksems lekker! They don't do fries, so don't even ask. Coffee is ok-ish. Burgers are Lekker!!!

Cost for a burger and hash-brown, with a coffee is around $9 including tax.

http://www.wafflehouse.com/

Taco Bell

Again. Three words...  :drif:  :drif:  :drif:

A big selection of Taco's, Burrito's, Quesalupa's, Quesadilla's, and Nacho's.

Filled with tasty cheese and meat and beans and other stuff all guaranteed to keep you meerkatting as you ride out. If you order a drink you get given an empty cup. You take the empty cup to the soda fountain, add some ice, then fill with whatever drink you want from the Pepsi-Cola stable. I enjoy the Dr Pepper's, but my wife prefers the Mountain Dew. And its bottomless...

You can fill a large belly for under $10/head. And I mean FILL that belly. I could almost not walk I was so dik... flippit... moerofa lekker.

https://www.tacobell.com/

Krispy Kreme

Basically a donut shop. But so fresh and sweet and juicy... awe murrafuka!!!  :drif:  :drif:  :drif:  They have one with a caramel covering, and a lemon custard filling. Guaranteed to add 2 cm to your waistline for each one you eat. But like Eugene says in the Nedbank advert; "Its like little angels, moonwalking on my tongue".  Their coffee is average.

I now understand why all the cops are hanging out in the donut shops...  :peepwall:

https://www.krispykreme.com/

Starbucks.

I didn't eat there, but I did have coffee.

Overrated. Coffee is about $2 a cup, plus tax. Eh... if you need the caffeine, go for it, but I prefer...

http://www.starbucks.com/

Dunkin' Donuts

Now THEIR coffee is GREAT coffee. Mmmhhh!!!! Very lekker. Their sandwich selection is freshly made to order, and with fresh and tasty ingredients. I had a Turkey cheese sandwich on one of those round jobbies, like a flatt-ish donut. If I wasn't pressed for time (I had to get to a meeting with a Realtor agent) I would have ordered two! Average cost per head for a coffee and a sandwich is about $8.

They also have a good selection of fresh bagels and stuff...

http://www.dunkindonuts.com/dunkindonuts/en.html

Papa Johns Pizza

You can order online, pay online, track your delivery online. You don't have to call and speak to anyone. Pizza is delivered within minutes, fresh and hot. Choose your toppings, choose thick or this base, build your own. YUMMY!!!

https://www.papajohns.com/

I also ate a quick burger at Macdonalds. Tasted exactly the same as the cardboard burgers in SA. Chips were exactly the same. Only difference was that the service from behind the counter was fast, friendly, and precise. Burgers were ready within seconds of order being placed. And same as Taco Bell, get handed a big cup for your bottomless soda, any one from the Coca Cola stable.

Wendy's

Burger patties are square! Similar to Macdonalds, but the Wendy's taste and consistency is ten times better. Soda isn't bottomless, but cups are big, I guess around 600ml?  Average cost for burger & fries and soda around $6. As said, better than Macdonalds, but then so is Pamper cat food pellets.

https://www.wendys.com/

So, there you have it. Fast food is relatively cheap, and its always fast. But very fattening and pretty unhealthy. Some places do have a choice of salads, or other healthy options, but they are more expensive.

And if you visit the USA, bear in mind that the price you see does NOT include VAT. I think vat is 6%, but I'm not sure. And the average tip is between 15 and 20%. Tips here are more, because the majority of waiters and waitresses actually WORK for their tips. Great service, friendly and fast and efficient. At Waffle House my coffee cup never got below half and it was already refilled. Bottomless coffee means you don't get to see the bottom of your coffee cup  ;D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 04:55:50 am by Mr Zog »