Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 924207 times)

BOZO, LouwRider, Brink, fatbob69 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #8160 on: October 13, 2019, 06:51:56 am »
I totally get you on wasting time on other peoples jobs.

And then breaking shit you can replace

Your storage looks great though.

Similar plan for my gutted caravan.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8161 on: October 13, 2019, 12:24:21 pm »
I know the feeling - and it usually happens when you are helping someone (for free) - it sucks big time. I'm almost at the stage now where I don't want to help people anymore.

It's just the type of person you are - probably keeps you awake at night - thinking about it huh?
Eat life!

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #8162 on: October 13, 2019, 12:28:26 pm »
I am a bit like that helping people with their bikes lately, I make nothing out of it, but what if I fark up and cause serious damage? :peepwall:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 12:28:50 pm by Welsh »
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #8163 on: October 14, 2019, 12:55:38 am »
I know the feeling - and it usually happens when you are helping someone (for free) - it sucks big time. I'm almost at the stage now where I don't want to help people anymore.

It's just the type of person you are - probably keeps you awake at night - thinking about it huh?

yup, doing it for free.

So today I spent around 5 hours of my time, and built a new wooden cover for the cistern. I used 2 pieces of left over MDF from building my workbench, I had to cut one out like an oblong donut so that the mechanism inside the toilet wouldn't catch. Then I used my plunge router to cut a slot into the bottom of the lower piece so that it would fit over the edge and not slide off.

I glued and screwed the two bits together, then used my router again to cut the top piece to exactly the same as the bottom piece. Finally I used the router to give the top section a nice rounded edge. I hit it with my palm sander to get it really nice and smooth. Then a couple of coats of left over paint to make it a similar white to the toilet.

I'm sorry, I didn't get pics. Just trust me that it looks really good.  :thumleft:

Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8164 on: October 14, 2019, 01:04:38 am »
This morning I woke up feeling like shit.

I have fallen victim to the terrible affliction known as the "man flu"  :eek7:

Coughing, sore throat, congested, body aches, lethargy.

The prognosis isn't good, but I'll do my best to pull through.

I was called out early, had to go take care of a guy's low water pressure and virtually non-existent flow. His pump is fine, but his water softener is fubar. I put the softener on bypass and voila!, water restored as it should be. Dude then proceeds to tell me that it can't be the softener as it's only about 3 years old. Well, dude, if you took care of the softener, put salt in the brine tank as you should have, then the filtration media would be able to expel the bad stuff and not clog up like a tank full of clay... I didn't have the energy to stand and argue the point...

Worked on the toilet cistern cover.

Mowed the grass and did the weed eating.

Cut my hair and shaved the 2 weeks worth of growth off my face.

Had a shower, and delivered the toilet cistern cover to the lady across the street.

Ate supper (lekker jumbalaya  :drif:) and now I'm having a brandy and coke. I'll put off any call outs that I get now until tomorrow. In a while I'll have some night-time flu medication and go to bed.

Hopefully get some sleep tonight, the coughing kept me awake last night.  :(
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8165 on: October 14, 2019, 01:34:05 am »
Some good news for a change...

About a month ago or so, I got a package from my mother in Germany. She had sent me a book (but that's not the point). She had stuffed the book full or Euro currency for Mr. Zog's birthday (the book was just a disguise).  ;D  It was a generous amount, with a note saying that the only way we are allowed to spend this money is on a weekend getaway for ourselves. I finally managed to get to the bank and exchange it and deposit it. We've been deliberating and wrangling with work schedules, but finally last night we booked a getaway.

We're going to spend a weekend in St. Augustine, about 3 hours north of here. It's the oldest city in the US, it was founded in 1565 when Ponce de Leon made landfall there. Hence, there is a lot of historic Spanish architecture and a couple of defensive forts: Fort Matanzas, dating to 1740, and Castillo de San Marcos, dating to 1672. Unfortunately Fort Matanzas is closed at the moment because it was damaged by Hurricane Dorian. There is also a beautiful historic district and of course beaches and islands.

It will be just a weekend, leaving Saturday morning and back Sunday night, with one night spent in a historic Bed & Breakfast. We're not going until December, though, but believe me, we are looking forward to it. My mother was very generous, so we will eat and drink well, too!

We will board the dogs for two nights so we don't have to rush home to pick them up before the pickup deadline on Sunday. 

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

P.S. Also, we finally received the last document we need for Mr. Zog's citizenship application. Our friend got back from South Africa and Mr. Zog went to fetch it. So we are going to put in the online application next weekend. Thank you again to everyone who donated so far, we really, really appreciate it! Now we're tackling the next financial hurdle: Little Zog's air ticket for June 2020.  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 01:40:17 am by Mrs. Zog »
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

The following users thanked this post: grizz, husky, big oil

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8166 on: October 15, 2019, 01:07:15 am »
It's official.

I have the dreaded MAN FLU  :eek7:

I had a bad night, got up and went to work. Did my first job at 07:30. Then my second job got cancelled.

I drove the van back to the shop, parked it up, and came home. I was home by 9 and asleep in bed by 9:10.  I slept, restlessly until 2pm, then got up and had two coffees. With some sort of fortitude inside me I went down to the Urgent Care (like a Medicross) and saw the quack. I got 3 different meds to take; an antibiotic, an anti-viral, and a steroid.

Just sat and took it easy the rest of the afternoon.  Eish. I have no powa.  :xxbah: :lol8:

Supper was sausage and mash with baked beans. Lekker. Now getting that "go to bed" feeling again.

Right now I dunno if I'll be at work tomorrow.

This man flu is crap, takes it out of me completely. I hope it's gone soon.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8167 on: October 15, 2019, 03:32:11 am »
Ag pok Gary, strongs and hope you better soon!!  :thumleft:

Mrs Zog the weekend getaway sounds great and I think you made an excellent choice!

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #8168 on: October 15, 2019, 07:18:56 am »
A body can only take that much abuse and then suddenly it all falls apart...ask the old toppies.

Sterkte.  :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Groot Suzuki aanhanger maar eindig altyd op met 'n Honda!
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Darem al weer 'n Honda XL185 plaas fiets.
« Reply #8169 on: October 15, 2019, 09:54:08 pm »
You guys must enjoy your weekend away, you deserve the rest!

Did that friend also bring your XL500 registration papers?

Raak gou gesond Mr Zog!
Tans.
Honda Xl185 plaas fiets
Vrou se NC700.

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8170 on: October 16, 2019, 12:31:20 am »
Mrs Zog the weekend getaway sounds great and I think you made an excellent choice!

Ah, thanks Tom! I did make an excellent choice when I booked the B&B. It has a bathtub! Not only that, but a bathtub with jacuzzi bubble jets! YES!

If you recall, our small house does not have a bathtub. We have a very small bathroom with a tiny tiled shower cubicle, sink, and toilet. And I mean tiny. If you suck in your stomach and hold your breath you can turn around. The second bathroom just has a toilet and sink. Eventually we want to have a tub. Somehow.

The house we rented when we first got here had a very small bathtub. I couldn't even submerge fully. Either my upper body was out or my legs were hanging over the edge.

I CANNOT WAIT to lounge in that jacuzzi tub. I will buy extremely decadent bath stuff to take with me and LOUNGE. For HOURS.

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:   
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8171 on: October 16, 2019, 03:04:54 am »
You guys must enjoy your weekend away, you deserve the rest!

Did that friend also bring your XL500 registration papers?

Raak gou gesond Mr Zog!

Nope. I'm still waiting to hear about the registration certificate  :sip:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8172 on: October 16, 2019, 03:19:48 am »
I had another bad night last night, coughing and spluttering and farting and sneezing....  :patch:

This morning I was in no state to go to work, so I took another day off. No work, no pay. Sucks, but that's the way it is here.

I took it easy, took my meds, chilled at home.

I did do a couple of small things though (nope, I can never sit still  :peepwall: )

I got the ladder out and got the 2x4's off the roof that were still there from hurricane Dorian prep. I stashed them as well as some spare 4x4's and 2x4's in the back area on my woodpile.

I also made a little holder for my work iPad so it can mount better in my work van. I'll try remember to take some pics of it tomorrow.

I cut up some scrap wood and made a backing / backstop for a target. I put it out in the backyard and let rip with some .22 shorts at a target. shooting from inside the Florida room. I let Mrs Zog take a shot while I stood outside to listen, and it was literally quieter than a BB gun. Now I can "play" a bit with that .22 rifle that I scored about 2 years ago  :ricky:  Set the scope in and plink at a safe target. When I get some more time...  :sip:

I put an old plastic bin in my truck so I don't forget it tomorrow, I promised the new guy I would bring it to work for him for his van. And I loaded the shop mannequin that I scored over 3 years ago as well, I figured my buddy TJ (also ex-South African) could use it in his lapaÖ he has an eclectic collection of kak in there  :imaposer:

I also pulled out a whole pile of scrap that I realistically won't need or use again from the garden shed and put it at the street so it can be collected Friday. Cleared out some space in the garden shed.

I am feeling a bit better this evening. So I really hope I can work tomorrow. I did a bit today, but it left me breathless and weak, I had to take frequent breaks and sit and rest. That's mainly why I just did stuff that didn't require much effort. Holding thumbs for tomorrow.  :thumleft:

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #8173 on: October 16, 2019, 03:56:45 am »
Suck it up Sally  :pot:

Warm approximately 2 liters of Jim Beam Devil's Cut in a cast iron kettle.

Swallow a muscle relaxer.

Drink contents of kettle.

Sit in a sauna singing I fell in a burning ring of fire while drinking copious amounts of H2O.

You feel better tomorrow afternoon.

Iím da Yooper, eh and I like to party...

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #8174 on: October 16, 2019, 07:08:01 am »

I CANNOT WAIT to lounge in that jacuzzi tub. I will buy extremely decadent bath stuff to take with me and LOUNGE. For HOURS.

Personally, I cannot think of anything WORSE than wallowing in warm water with one's exfoliation, grime and oils floating around one.
Consider a Japanese style bath...- shower, wash thoroughly and scrub fully first until your skin tingles and THEN get into an aromatic tub of warm water,
Add a little soapy fun with a couples shower, some rice wine or saki and now we are REALLY TALKING !
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #8175 on: October 16, 2019, 08:27:14 pm »

Ah, thanks Tom! I did make an excellent choice when I booked the B&B. It has a bathtub! Not only that, but a bathtub with jacuzzi bubble jets! YES!

If you recall, our small house does not have a bathtub. We have a very small bathroom with a tiny tiled shower cubicle, sink, and toilet. And I mean tiny. If you suck in your stomach and hold your breath you can turn around. The second bathroom just has a toilet and sink. Eventually we want to have a tub. Somehow.

The house we rented when we first got here had a very small bathtub. I couldn't even submerge fully. Either my upper body was out or my legs were hanging over the edge.

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Hope you're well, Mrs Z., iirc, you have issues with soap products irritating your skin?

If so, and with the fact you're going to be lounging in a jacuzzi tub, hopefully the B&B will have a steam or dry sauna.

I'm not a bather, I prefer a dry sauna to exfoliate then a long hot shower, though I cannot recommend Dr. Bronner's Castille Soap enough.  It can replace every other plastic bottle in your home.  It has replaced every plastic bottle in my home with the exception of the best laundry and dish detergent there is, Tide and Dawn, respectively.

Dr. Bronner's has so so many uses, including dishes, laundry, shampoo (nothing leaves my hair softer or smelling more clean and tangle free.....nothing).

A quart of Dr. Bronner's lasts quite awhile as a little goes a long way.

I have one bottle in my shower room, that's it.  I used to have body wash, shampoo, conditioner, body scrub, shaving cream, etc.

It has even replaced my shaving cream.  It is one of the few PURE soaps you can buy as even the organic yada yada yada soaps still can have animal or synthetic products added.

Dr. Bronner's Castille Hemp soap has been around, iirc, since the mid 1,800's. 

Lots of different natural scents, I prefer Peppermint!

https://shop.drbronner.com/pure-castile-liquid-soap

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8176 on: October 16, 2019, 09:00:12 pm »
Thanks big oil...

I don't really have issues with soap and skin; I had big problems a little while ago with my facial skin - everything I put on it irritated it badly. That's mostly been sorted, it turned out that it was a side effect of a medication I was taking. Otherwise I'm pretty robust  ;D

Also, big Dr. Bronner's fan I am, you're preaching to the choir! Castile soap in general. But thanks anyway for the recommendation - already a loyal user.  :thumleft:

@Fudmucker - you assume  :o that 1) either I am filthy to begin with, or 2) am unaware of the benefits of Japanese-style bathing...  :pot: :imaposer:

Seriously though - a bath for me is rarely a cleansing type situation but, rather, an "already clean but in desperate need of solitude and relaxation" situation.  :thumleft:

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #8177 on: October 16, 2019, 09:07:38 pm »
You're welcome, glad you're a fan too.  I am a recent convert after reading an article from a long distance biker who just packs Dr. Bronner's in his panniers as his shampoo, conditioner, laundry, dish, body wash, foot scrub, ear cleaner, bike cleaner, boot cleaner, chain cleaner, cog cleaner, wheel cleaner   :imaposer:

The best part, all natural with no animal testing or byproducts  :thumleft:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8178 on: October 16, 2019, 09:34:32 pm »
The best part, all natural with no animal testing or byproducts  :thumleft:

Indeed!  :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8179 on: October 17, 2019, 01:33:35 am »
Suck it up Sally  :pot:

Warm approximately 2 liters of Jim Beam Devil's Cut in a cast iron kettle.

Swallow a muscle relaxer.

Drink contents of kettle.

Sit in a sauna singing I fell in a burning ring of fire while drinking copious amounts of H2O.

You feel better tomorrow afternoon.

Bring the Jim Beam. I'm not Rockafella, I'm the other fella  :deal:

Then bring the sauna. No. wait, don't need a sauna. Just sit in the garage in the daytime. This IS Florida after all  :pot:  :imaposer:

Right now it is tomorrow afternoon and I do feel better. Not completely better, but I know that there are signs of life still in me.  :peepwall:

Did a full day at work today. Fuck me, just carrying a couple of 40lb bags of salt around had me squatting on my haunches getting my breath back.

Tomorrow will be better  :thumleft:

And I won't have a mother-of-all-hangovers from 2 liters of Jim Beam  :ricky:  :imaposer:

The following users thanked this post: big oil