Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 926859 times)

AndreB, fatbob69, Obelix, Vocifer and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #8180 on: October 17, 2019, 04:22:56 am »
@Fudmucker - you assume  :o that 1) either I am filthy to begin with, or 2) am unaware of the benefits of Japanese-style bathing...  :pot: :imaposer:

Seriously though - a bath for me is rarely a cleansing type situation but, rather, an "already clean but in desperate need of solitude and relaxation" situation.  :thumleft:

No offence taken or intended, Mrs Z.
I truly hope you guys thoroughly enjoy your "us time" break !

From my experience of post-jacuzzi bath rings, most people who use them are BOTH 1) filthy to begin with, AND 2) unaware of the benefits of Japanese-style bathing.  Add into the mix some popular brand bath salts, make-up, skin oil, suntan lotion and a little urine...

VOILA !
You have the average uneducated user's reminder of last weekend's alcohol-fueled "Lets get into the hot tub - no bathing suits necessary..." experience.   :sip:

(Some weeks later, some users may also start drinking lots of cranberry juice as a home remedy to their new urinary tract infection.)  :pot:
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #8181 on: October 17, 2019, 06:33:02 am »
@Fudmucker - you assume  :o that 1) either I am filthy to begin with, or 2) am unaware of the benefits of Japanese-style bathing...  :pot: :imaposer:

Seriously though - a bath for me is rarely a cleansing type situation but, rather, an "already clean but in desperate need of solitude and relaxation" situation.  :thumleft:

From my experience of post-jacuzzi bath rings, most people who use them are BOTH 1) filthy to begin with, AND 2) unaware of the benefits of Japanese-style bathing.  Add into the mix some popular brand bath salts, make-up, skin oil, suntan lotion and a little urine...

VOILA !
You have the average uneducated user's reminder of last weekend's alcohol-fueled "Lets get into the hot tub - no bathing suits necessary..." experience.   :sip:

(Some weeks later, some users may also start drinking lots of cranberry juice as a home remedy to their new urinary tract infection.)  :pot:

Life of the party  :thumleft:
Iím da Yooper, eh and I like to party...

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8182 on: October 17, 2019, 03:45:30 pm »

VOILA !

Likewise, no offense  ;D

But man, you really know how to make someone look forward to their vacation, hey?  :biggrin:
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #8183 on: October 17, 2019, 04:17:34 pm »
 :laughing4:

Getting a group of people together with loofahs and sponges and very little clothing
to thoroughly scrub one another down while spraying with water until everyone is sparking clean and starkers
and THEN getting into a deep aromatic pool of warm, soothing water with pine branches to scent the liquid
before serving rice wine in porcelain cups sounds infinitely more appealing, don't you think
- even if the group is only TWO people...?

:3some:

Have a GREAT break, Mr + Mrs Z !
Misbehave a much as you want.
We won't mind.

(Post pics)  >:D

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #8184 on: October 17, 2019, 04:50:59 pm »

Getting a group of people together with loofahs and sponges and very little clothing
to thoroughly scrub one another down while spraying with water until everyone is sparking clean and starkers
and THEN getting into a deep aromatic pool of warm, soothing water with pine branches to scent the liquid
before serving rice wine in porcelain cups sounds infinitely more appealing, don't you think

We won't mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Iím da Yooper, eh and I like to party...

Offline Wayne

« Reply #8185 on: October 17, 2019, 06:27:12 pm »

We won't mind.

Please no pics! There was just recently a debate about pics with bikes and girls!!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8186 on: October 17, 2019, 08:56:35 pm »
If you recall, after we finished the flooring a couple of weeks ago, I cried as I took out my credit card and ordered an area rug for the lounge. Well, it arrived today. It's not as dark as it looks in the pictures, I think it's the angles and the cloudy day.

The best thing about this rug is that it is made from recycled plastic bottles. Also, it is a two-part system: a top cover and a padded underlay. The top cover comes off and can be thrown into the washing machine. The whole thing is also water-resistant and stain-resistant. Bought specifically with the occasional doggie accident in mind.

It's not a fluffy, plush kind of carpet, but we didn't want that anyway.

I'm very happy with it.

Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #8187 on: October 17, 2019, 09:18:21 pm »
Very cool. Can you post a close up of the fabric? It amazes me what they can do with recycled products these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."ó Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #8188 on: October 17, 2019, 09:22:19 pm »
 :thumleft: Looking good!

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8189 on: October 17, 2019, 09:23:56 pm »
Very cool. Can you post a close up of the fabric? It amazes me what they can do with recycled products these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sure - here you go. The design is actually printed, not woven.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 09:25:20 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #8190 on: October 18, 2019, 08:45:01 am »
That looks amazing, Mrs. Zog  :thumleft:
Amazing how something relatively simple can transform a room.

Offline tok-tokkie

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #8191 on: October 18, 2019, 10:24:27 am »
You may have cried as you used the credit card but, to me, it was money really well spent.  It makes a dramatic difference to the room.  The flooring itself made a really dramatic difference to your house (when compared to the old Heinz 57 Varieties coloured carpet).

Things that serve you really well are viewed with pleasure and the cost gets overlooked & then forgotten.  But the satisfaction persists.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8192 on: October 18, 2019, 09:16:46 pm »
We have Tropical Storm Nestor in the Gulf of Mexico right now. The forecast model says it will make landfall north of us on the Gulf side of the state.

We won't feel much here, but we'll get some gusty winds and rain showers starting tonight and through the day tomorrow.

Offline RobbieJZW

« Reply #8193 on: October 19, 2019, 07:25:16 pm »
You are truly making this house your home, and itís really great to read about your endeavors, the wins and even the setbacks-that, as they say, is life!! We hold thumbs for you this side of the water!!

The following users thanked this post: Mr Zog

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #8194 on: October 20, 2019, 01:00:52 am »
You are truly making this house your home, and itís really great to read about your endeavors, the wins and even the setbacks-that, as they say, is life!! We hold thumbs for you this side of the water!!

Thanks Robbie! Encouragement is really appreciated.

You know, I was sitting outside earlier just chilling and watching the sunset. I got to thinking. I realized that one of the things I moss most about moving to the US is just being able to pick up the phone and call a friend. Or just get in my car (or on my bike) and go visit a dear friend.

Those "ad-hoc" braais, the beers while watching a game, sharing stories and just talking kakÖ.   

I realized that life on a different continent can be quite lonely.  :-\
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8195 on: October 20, 2019, 01:12:11 am »
Today was a wet and rainy day.

Not big storms (for us at least), just some constant gentle rain with the odd squall moving through. Tropical Storm Nestor crossed to the East just a bit North of us last night and today. There was a pretty damaging tornado last too, about 70 miles West of us, near Lakeland. Around 50 homes were damaged, some quite severely. Luckily nobody was killed or badly hurt. We have 5/8ths of an inch or rain in our rain gauge right now. That's about 15mm.

I got busy this morning fixing the two bottom drawers of the fridge. When we bought the house the fridge was already here, and it was already pretty old. I'm guessing around 15 - 20 years old. And the two bottom drawers were broken and held together with insulation tape.

I pulled the drawers out and gave them a good look. All the sides are slightly curved, so finding something to glue over the cracks was going to be really difficult. So I went with plan B. I used some thin wire to put two "stitches" in the top end of each crack for serious support, then I sanded the edges of the cracks with some rough-ish sandpaper and gave them each a row of clear epoxy glue. I think that if the drawers are handled carefully then they should last for a good while to come. The epoxy I used was from Harbor Freight, and it's the "Fast Setting" type. It's pretty cheap stuff from China, but I think it'll do the job just fine.

Even Sammy was helping and giving advise and he says he thinks it'll be fine  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8196 on: October 20, 2019, 01:21:36 am »
This afternoon Mrs Zog finished her work a bit earlier than usual, so we went for a drive.

I have seen a shop called "Petty's Meat Market" near work and have been meaning to have a look. Yesterday I drove past and they had a sign out advertising pork ribs for 2
$2.69 / Lb. That sounded pretty good, so we went off and had a look-see. The ribs looked quite good, so we got 2 lbs, that equaled 6 pieces. So back home we divided them up into two zip-lock bags and froze them. They will make two good meals  :thumleft:

On the way home we stopped at an ice cream shop and each got an ice cream cup. Lovely fresh chocolate ice cream....  :drif:

At home again I put up a small shelf next to my drill press for all my drill bits and associated drilling stuff. I used two shelf brackets that I took down somewhere else and a piece of plywood left over from some other project. It makes me happy to re-use stuff that others would just throw away. And it makes me happy that I am slowly but surely getting my workshop sorted out little by little  :thumleft:

Tomorrow we'll take a drive down to the beach for a little while. The weather forecast looks good, Nestor has pretty much fucked off, and some sand and sea time will be good for the soul.

Oh, and I think I'm finally over the flu. Feeling much better today  :ricky:

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #8197 on: October 20, 2019, 06:11:36 am »

You know, I was sitting outside earlier just chilling and watching the sunset. I got to thinking. I realized that one of the things I moss most about moving to the US is just being able to pick up the phone and call a friend. Or just get in my car (or on my bike) and go visit a dear friend.
Those "ad-hoc" braais, the beers while watching a game, sharing stories and just talking kakÖ.   

Mr Z, most of us are only a Whatsapp phone call away, you know !  :thumleft:

Strongs!  ;)

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #8198 on: October 20, 2019, 08:11:52 am »

Those "ad-hoc" braais, the beers while watching a game, sharing stories and just talking kak….   

Mr Z, most of us are only a Whatsapp phone call away, you know !  :thumleft:

Strongs!  ;)

I think it's the time difference that is the main thing.

Mr & Mrs Zog, your house is looking really good. What does Sammy's think of that lovely new carpet? :thumleft: 

But mostly I love to see what you're doing in the workshop - true Zogging :drif:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 08:12:24 am by Ri »
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Online allan.cawood

« Reply #8199 on: October 20, 2019, 10:18:51 am »
I can understand the distance and time zone thing ... my folks live in Bristol, CT ...
My dad has been in the USA for 20yrs, my mom and boet 17yrs

WhatsApp calls are awesome!! Getting the timing right can be a challenge at times (I often forget if itís 6hrs or 7hrs difference - daylight savings doesnít help either)

This December will be the first time in 18yrs the entire family will be together for Christmas. 

Looking forward to spending 5 weeks in the USA

If I had the capacity, Iíd take the 18hr drive for that pop in braai with a fellow WD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Bumblebee)
1993 Honda CB1000 Super Four (Thunder)
XXXX Honda CB1300 Super Four Hybrid (nameless)

"You can take my heart, you can take my breath  When you pry it from my cold, dead chest"  Skillet - The Resistance (Unleashed 2016)