Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 924200 times)

Pumbaa, fatbob69, LouwRider and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Xavier2

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #8200 on: October 20, 2019, 10:36:30 am »
Allan,  you get Clock widget apps that goes on your phones background screen with the country of your choices time(s).  It adjusts automatically to daylight savings, etc.

With one of those you will Always know what time it is over yonder..  Helped me (in business) immensely.

The following users thanked this post: Ri

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8201 on: October 20, 2019, 10:33:28 pm »
Note to Self:

In Florida, butter melts at room temperature.  :o
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Online Pumbaa

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • Africa Cycle Tours
« Reply #8202 on: October 20, 2019, 10:49:06 pm »
You are truly making this house your home, and itís really great to read about your endeavors, the wins and even the setbacks-that, as they say, is life!! We hold thumbs for you this side of the water!!

Thanks Robbie! Encouragement is really appreciated.

You know, I was sitting outside earlier just chilling and watching the sunset. I got to thinking. I realized that one of the things I moss most about moving to the US is just being able to pick up the phone and call a friend. Or just get in my car (or on my bike) and go visit a dear friend.

Those "ad-hoc" braais, the beers while watching a game, sharing stories and just talking kakÖ.   

I realized that life on a different continent can be quite lonely.  :-\
I know what you mean with it being lonely. We often experienced it, and we've been living away from family and friends for more than 20 years.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Africa Cycle Tours - Offering supported bicycle tours

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8203 on: October 21, 2019, 12:03:05 am »
You know, when I was living in South Africa for all those years, I would often say, "I miss my friends," or "I miss X food," "I miss this or that." To which Mr. Zog always replied, rather insensitive, "you're here now, so get over it, if you don't like it here, why are you here." It used to be a big argument trigger for us. He just didn't get it, he didn't understand.

Now he understands, and I'm glad. I mean, I'm not glad that he misses friends and family, of course not, I would not want him to be unhappy, but I'm glad that he now gets my point of view. I think it was a big lightbulb moment, understanding where I was mentally those years ago.

Ugh. Too deep for a Sunday night.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 12:04:10 am by Mrs. Zog »
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #8204 on: October 21, 2019, 12:18:15 am »
You know, when I was living in South Africa for all those years, I would often say, "I miss my friends," or "I miss X food," "I miss this or that." To which Mr. Zog always replied, rather insensitive, "you're here now, so get over it, if you don't like it here, why are you here." It used to be a big argument trigger for us. He just didn't get it, he didn't understand.

Now he understands, and I'm glad. I mean, I'm not glad that he misses friends and family, of course not, I would not want him to be unhappy, but I'm glad that he now gets my point of view. I think it was a big lightbulb moment, understanding where I was mentally those years ago.

Did she say something?  :peepwall:  :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8205 on: October 21, 2019, 12:27:05 am »
My phone automatically goes silent at 9pm every night.

Last night I was sitting in my recliner as usual, and I just happened to notice that I had an incoming call out of the corner of my eye.

It was my dear old buddy TVB calling from the farm. We chatted and he told me that he was finishing off his contract on the 11th of November, and that he was gonna come visit us!  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

We chatted for a while, and made some plans. Then I went online and looked for some air tickets for him. I emailed him a link with the cheapest I could find, to help him make it as easy as possible for him.

So, right now Tom will arrive on the 11th, and depart us on the 26th, so that he can get back to Kansas and make his flight back to SA on the 27th. We did think about him flying back to Kansas on the 27th and just connect to his flight to SA, but with the 28th being Thanksgiving and THE busiest time of the year for Americans to fly, I thought that giving him a day for "just in case" was the best bet. During the Thanksgiving week many, many millions of Americans fly across the country to be with their families. Thanksgiving is bigger than Christmas I think.

So, be prepared for lots of updates, and lots of awesome pics from the lens of TVB about the lives of the Zogs and Florida in general. I'll take a day or two off work too, when he is here, so I can take him to places like the Kennedy Space Center etc. Thankfully Tom is old enough to not have to visit Disneyland  :peepwall:  :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8206 on: October 21, 2019, 12:37:43 am »
Today was a nice quiet day.

This morning Mrs Zog and I went off and found a little diner along the A1A where we had a very delicious breakfast. We each had an omelet, and they were really good. And pretty affordable too.

Then we went up to Cocoa Beach to the Ron Jon surf shop to get a couple more Mr Zog stickers. One of the WD's asked for one this week and we were out! But no fear, we now have a few more. PM Mrs Zog if you want one  :biggrin:

On the way home I showed Mrs Zog where our new shop is, and we took a scenic drive along Merrit Island, looking at the houses where the millionaires live  :o

Back home it was time to call the family, then I got busy again with some chores. I tidied up the garage a bit and did some vacuuming. Put away some stuff and threw out some crap. Then I spent some time giving the vacuum cleaner a really good cleaning.

The grass got cut. But I declined the weed eating  :peepwall:

I cleaned the windows in the Florida Room. Now we can see out again  :lol8:  It's incredible how fast the windows get dirty when the wind blows the humidity around.  :eek7:

I even remembered to take some pics of my drill station for y'all... and the grass is looking good after all the rain. And the creeper we planted just a few months ago is really growing well too. So well that Mrs Zog has taken 5 cuttings and put them in water and they already have roots and can be planted soon. If you can't afford to buy lots of plants, just propogate your own  :thumleft:  :biggrin:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8207 on: October 21, 2019, 01:09:38 am »
It's incredible how fast the windows get dirty when the wind blows the humidity around there's dog snot smeared evenly all over.

There. Fixed.

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #8208 on: October 21, 2019, 02:07:46 am »

Did she say something?  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

:imaposer:  :pot:

Betta be careful Zog, Mrs Baltimore will whip yer azz  :nono:
Iím da Yooper, eh and I like to party...

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8209 on: October 21, 2019, 04:40:30 am »

Last night I was sitting in my recliner as usual, and I just happened to notice that I had an incoming call out of the corner of my eye.

It was my dear old buddy TVB calling from the farm. We chatted and he told me that he was finishing off his contract on the 11th of November, and that he was gonna come visit us!  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

We chatted for a while, and made some plans. Then I went online and looked for some air tickets for him. I emailed him a link with the cheapest I could find, to help him make it as easy as possible for him.

So, right now Tom will arrive on the 11th, and depart us on the 26th, so that he can get back to Kansas and make his flight back to SA on the 27th. We did think about him flying back to Kansas on the 27th and just connect to his flight to SA, but with the 28th being Thanksgiving and THE busiest time of the year for Americans to fly, I thought that giving him a day for "just in case" was the best bet. During the Thanksgiving week many, many millions of Americans fly across the country to be with their families. Thanksgiving is bigger than Christmas I think.

So, be prepared for lots of updates, and lots of awesome pics from the lens of TVB about the lives of the Zogs and Florida in general. I'll take a day or two off work too, when he is here, so I can take him to places like the Kennedy Space Center etc. Thankfully Tom is old enough to not have to visit Disneyland  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

I am soooo looking forward to this visit, its going to be awesome!!!  :laughing4:  :laughing4:

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #8210 on: October 21, 2019, 06:17:20 am »
It's incredible how fast the windows get dirty when the wind blows the humidity around there's dog snot smeared evenly all over.

There. Fixed.

When you keep Great Danes, you know all about that Dog drool ::)
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #8211 on: October 21, 2019, 06:22:52 am »

I am soooo looking forward to this visit, its going to be awesome!!!  :laughing4:  :laughing4:

As the afrikaans saying goes... HKGK  :deal:

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #8212 on: October 21, 2019, 08:08:27 am »
Nee wat Tom is nou amper so oud soos ek....hy drink nou vir sy plesier. :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8213 on: October 21, 2019, 04:23:50 pm »
Mr. Zog just forwarded me the flight information for @Tom van Brits!  We'll have such a great time! :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8214 on: October 21, 2019, 08:17:24 pm »
Mr. Zog just forwarded me the flight information for @Tom van Brits!  We'll have such a great time! :thumleft:

Looking forward so much Mrs Zog, I am over the moon!!  :laughing4: :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8215 on: October 23, 2019, 12:08:13 am »

Looking forward so much Mrs Zog, I am over the moon!!  :laughing4: :thumleft:

Hold your horses Tom, we haven't even been to the Kennedy Space center yet...  :ricky:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8216 on: October 23, 2019, 12:15:51 am »
This morning I had to drive to the town of St Cloud for a job.

It's an hour West of us, so inland. Driving there I came across large areas of pretty dense mist. So it seems that autumn is definitely here.  :sip:

Not that the temps are down much. After returning from St Cloud I had to go repair a leaking Artesian well in Indialantic (a suburb of Melbourne at the beachside). The temp was well into the mid 90's, with very high humidity and no wind at all.

Between digging in wet mud to expose the well head, and sweating like a pig, I was completely drenched. And dirty, don't forget VERY dirty. I got the well repaired, cleaned up and packed away my tools, did the invoice on my iPad, got the check for payment, and went back to the shop.

Re stocked my van, had a quick chat with my dispatcher about the day and tomorrow's jobs, then clocked out and went home early. By early I mean 4:30  :lol8:

Back home I got undressed at the washing machine in the garage and went straight to the shower.

Now I'm rehydrating myself with a brandy & coke  :peepwall:  :biggrin:

Because I earned it damnit!  :lol8:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8217 on: October 23, 2019, 12:47:06 am »
I am starting a list.

I am figuring out what TVB and I will be doing while he is here.

Of course we will go fishing, that goes without saying. But there is other stuff we can do too...

One of the items on the list is servicing the mower. It needs an oil change, with new oil filter, maybe air filter too. The blades need sharpening, and we need to check the tracking of the blades. Check all the spindle and tensioner bearings. And give it a good pressure washing.

Another item on the list is to get another couple of sections of the East side fence done. Not because it's falling down, just because it doesn't look nice with the different sections, old and new. Different styles... Lets see.  :sip:

The front garden bed needs work, dig it up, put down a weed barrier, then add mulch over the top. Tom should be good at that seeing as he had spent the last few months working in agriculture  :peepwall:  :pot:  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8218 on: October 23, 2019, 01:02:35 am »
All of my kitchen knives need sharpening. Just sayin'.  8)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8219 on: October 23, 2019, 01:32:33 am »
All of my kitchen knives need sharpening. Just sayin'.  8)

Did she say something?  :sip:  :peepwall: