Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1217283 times)

Offline steveindar

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Eish!
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #8260 on: October 28, 2019, 06:07:40 am »
Push it up beyond balance point which tips the table and have a spring flip out support leg.
Solutions, boet, not problems. :)

Sent from my TECNO CF8 using Tapatalk

COVID KILLS SADDLE TIME!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ??? VFR750 Potential off-road hooligan bike!

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #8261 on: October 28, 2019, 06:11:50 am »
Different balance points for lawnmowers and for bikes.
One or the other.
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Online woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #8262 on: October 28, 2019, 07:33:57 am »
I will not use threaded rod for that job. You will be standing there for an hour winding the thing to get to the working height. The pitch is to fine.  Even using a power drill it will take time to wind it up.

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline tok-tokkie

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #8263 on: October 28, 2019, 08:08:57 am »
How strong is the roof?  Otherwise a beam across the top of the walls.  Then a rope & pulley system to raise the mower & table top with the legs hinged at both ends (to floor & under table) so you pull it up at an angle till it goes past vertical & then lower it a bit when the legs lock.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8264 on: October 28, 2019, 11:33:08 am »
Yussus bru - why complicate things - just pick the thing up and put it on the table. It's your gym workout for the day. It's not like you're going to be doing this 10 times a day every day.

You're obviously very bored ne'

:imaposer:
Ja/Nee

The following users thanked this post: thabogrobler

Online woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #8265 on: October 28, 2019, 11:37:30 am »
Just remember.. them Mericans are lazy...they all have Ride-On Mowers... you pick them up I eat my hat. :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Online Skaiidawg

« Reply #8266 on: October 28, 2019, 02:58:58 pm »
I have already thought of a few challenges, like for instance how do I bend the edges of the steel sheet over the edge of the wooden frame without a bending machine?
Advise and comments welcome  :biggrin:

Gary, what is the thickness of those sheets? Any way here is how I bend plates if there is no bend press available. On the mark where you want to bend, cut every couple of cm's a slot, make the bend line a perforated line and bend. Weld the opening closed after bend. You have a welding machine, I hope?
Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8267 on: October 28, 2019, 03:24:14 pm »
Just remember.. them Mericans are lazy...they all have Ride-On Mowers... you pick them up I eat my hat. :laughing4:

You got me  :imaposer: but I doubt Mr Zog's shed is big enough for those - then maybe he plans on working on that outside huh. Oh geez I give up  :imaposer:
Ja/Nee

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8268 on: October 28, 2019, 06:13:50 pm »
Check it out, we have bananas. It's going to make a monster flower, too, just in time for Halloween!  ;D I just don't know if they're edible or ornamental, but I think ornamental. We'll see how they grow. They came out of nowhere and grew superfast, over the last couple of days.  :o

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8269 on: October 28, 2019, 06:51:56 pm »
That's AMA-ZING - stuff just grows there hey - must be all the rain and the humidity.
Ja/Nee

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #8270 on: October 28, 2019, 06:57:45 pm »
Check it out, we have bananas. It's going to make a monster flower, too, just in time for Halloween!  ;D I just don't know if they're edible or ornamental, but I think ornamental. We'll see how they grow. They came out of nowhere and grew superfast, over the last couple of days.  :o

Cool bananas. Let them grow a bit more and then cut off the flower as it drains the bunch of nutrients (unless you're into Asian cuisine).

Once you've harvested the nanas, cut the trunk off at the base as it won't produce again.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #8271 on: October 28, 2019, 09:15:51 pm »

Cool bananas. Let them grow a bit more and then cut off the flower as it drains the bunch of nutrients (unless you're into Asian cuisine).

Once you've harvested the nanas, cut the trunk off at the base as it won't produce again.

Or leave it, as it will dry out and fall off by itself before the tree produces a new stem for the next round of bananes

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8272 on: October 29, 2019, 12:29:22 am »
My guava tree has "guava moth" - I treated with a mixture of diluted neem oil and dish soap. Hopefully I can control it.  :( Any advice welcome.)

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8273 on: October 29, 2019, 12:31:12 am »
That's AMA-ZING - stuff just grows there hey - must be all the rain and the humidity.

Very true - it's like a greenhouse on steroids. Things that I used to have as indoor pot plants in colder climates grow to massive proportions here, outside, without fertilizer. Just plant and let it do its thing.  :biggrin:

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #8274 on: October 29, 2019, 02:28:59 am »

You got me  :imaposer: but I doubt Mr Zog's shed is big enough for those - then maybe he plans on working on that outside huh. Oh geez I give up  :imaposer:

Yup, I do want to be able to put a ride-on mower onto my workbench table lift jobbie  :deal:

My shed / workshop is big enough to handle a riding mower, it's around 20 feet long (6-7 meters) and around 11 feet (4 meters) wide. The lowest section of rafter in the roof is around 7 feet high. Should be able to handle a riding mower, or a motorbike, just fine.  :thumleft:

The smaller little petrol push-mowers I can pick up easy. It's the bigger ones, with driven wheels and stuff, that get a lot heavier.
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8275 on: October 29, 2019, 02:33:32 am »
Push it up beyond balance point which tips the table and have a spring flip out support leg.
Solutions, boet, not problems. :)

Sent from my TECNO CF8 using Tapatalk

At first I dismissed this idea.

But thinking about it....

I'd need a way to lift the whole caboodle up. If I am lifting up a ride-on mower then we are looking at around 200kg's.

Harbor Freight sells a 12V electric winch that can pull 2 500lbs (around 1000kg's) for just under $50! If I use a bit of a fulcrum in my design I should be able to lift a mower past the balance point really easily.

Hmmm.....  :sip:

This idea needs some more serious thought  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8276 on: October 29, 2019, 02:35:59 am »
I will not use threaded rod for that job. You will be standing there for an hour winding the thing to get to the working height. The pitch is to fine.  Even using a power drill it will take time to wind it up.

I've researched some on the international university of YouTube that wind up pretty fine with a cordless drill... it's not like I am in a rush to get it up either.

At my age getting it up can take a while... keeping it up takes the talent strong design  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8277 on: October 29, 2019, 02:38:20 am »
Grassnyers het nie handremme nie?  :patch:

What if the handbrake isn't working?

That "falling down" arrow was just to show that if the scissors opens upwards too much it could allow the mower to overbalance the whole caboodle and come crashing down on top of me / Maggie

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8278 on: October 29, 2019, 02:39:53 am »
Yussus bru - why complicate things - just pick the thing up and put it on the table. It's your gym workout for the day. It's not like you're going to be doing this 10 times a day every day.

You're obviously very bored ne'

:imaposer:

If I made  it too simple, that wouldn't be a challenge or any fun now would it?  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8279 on: October 29, 2019, 04:33:54 am »

I've researched some on the international university of YouTube that wind up pretty fine with a cordless drill... it's not like I am in a rush to get it up either.

At my age getting it up can take a while... keeping it up takes the talent strong design  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

:spitcoffee:  :imaposer: :imaposer: