Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1325595 times)

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #8340 on: November 03, 2019, 06:30:28 am »
 :lol8: You're not gettin a piece of this.....................keep dreamin'  >:D

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #8341 on: November 03, 2019, 12:28:36 pm »
If I supported the plywood top with a couple of 2x4's, and beefed up the hinge point...

And made the cross-braces of the side walls easily removeable... so I can take it apart and pack it away...  :sip:

I think it will actually work really well!

I will give this one a whole lot more thought  :thumleft:  :ricky:

And if I add a pulley at the front of the table then I could use a winch / comealong to pull a heavy mower up...  :sip:

Use the same piece of strengthened plywood. Add a piece of angle or something that can hook onto the workbench so that it looks like a ramp onto the workbench.
Pull the mower with the electric winch onto the ramp and secure.
Use the winch with a pulley block in the rafters to lift the back of the ramp to work height and put a support (those fold open wooden things?) under the rear.

Now you just have a flat piece of wood to store away.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #8342 on: November 04, 2019, 01:21:32 am »
So last night we turned the clocks back an hour.

It means that I should have had an extra hour's worth of sleep last night, but I forgot to set the dogs internal tummy clocks back an hour  :patch:

So they had me up at 6am this morning, demanding to know why breakfast was so late  :imaposer:

I guess this just means that I get an extra hour in the day today...  :sip:

So seeing as I was awake, I decided to tackle the wood stash in my workshop roof. The stash that was causing the roof to bend down and cause the double door to bind.  :deal:

So I started looking at what I had, and how I could store it some other way. My goals for the solution would entail the following;
1. The stash needed to be mobile, so I could wheel it around and get access to all areas of my workshop.
2. It would need to fit into the space at the side door so that I could put it there when the hurricane comes and I need to get my boat into the workshop.
3. It needs to have spaces for the different types and styles of wood (plywood sheets, plywood offcuts, 2x4's, 2x4 offcuts, and proper wood planks etc) in such a way that I would be able to see what I was looking for easily, and get what I wanted out without first having to unpack a whole load of stuff first.

I remembered that I had a set of casters in a bin under my workbench, so I hauled them out. Then I found a partial sheet of old plywood that would work as a base for my wood storage solution... ok, so lets just call it my "wood trolley" from now on  :thumleft:

I had another bit of offcut plywood in the garden shed, so I hauled that out and took some measurements, and figured out how I would use what was left to make my wood trolley. I pulled some ripped sections of 2x4 out of the roof storage to use as braces, and hauled out the mitre saw and used the air line to blow a whole mess of dust off of it.

Sammy found himself on the wrong side of the dog flap, he wasn't a happy camper when he realized he couldn't get in  :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #8343 on: November 04, 2019, 01:33:16 am »
I had salvaged some offcuts from some plywood at work some months ago, and they came in very handy to use as the uprights for the trolley. They were full 8 foot lengths ripped to 6 inches, and I just cut them in half.

I used the ripped sections of 2x4 to give me some "meat" to screw into when joining the bits of plywood, and I used the rest of the left over sheet that you saw lying on the lawn to create the sides of the bins. I cut them at an angle so they would give me a good view of the bits of wood I would store in them.

Then I put the dividers and sides together using wood glue and screws. The vast majority of the screws I used were screws that I had salvaged when I took the old workbenches apart several weeks ago. I liked that this project didn't require a single trip to the Home Depot for parts  :biggrin:

I used a couple of 2x4's that were up in the roof to make a solid base for the trolley, and attached the castors to that. Then I flipped the top section of the trolley onto the base and screwed it down.

I used a scrap piece of hardboard at the front bottom of the trolley to keep the wood bits inside the bins, and then another thin strip of plywood offcut at the top of that for added strength  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 01:34:07 am by Mr Zog »
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #8344 on: November 04, 2019, 02:00:55 am »
I put another piece of offcut along the top of the vertical bits to keep them together, then I added two bits of 2x4 at the back so that the sheets of plywood that I would store there would have something to stop them falling off.

They would also help to support any sheets while I moved them to get to other sheets I may need...

And then it was done. I loaded most of the scrap / spare wood from the roof storage into the new trolley, and tested it out.

It works great, except that the castors seem to be a bit lightweight. They don't roll very easily, so I am guessing that there is just too much weight on them. I'll look out for some bigger castors over the next few weeks. I do have a set of REALLY big steel castor wheels, but they will be too big I think. Who knows? Maybe when Tom is here we can jack the trolley up and see how the steel castors look...  :sip:

But for now I am happy. The criteria I wanted has been met, so I am calling this a win  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 02:02:04 am by Mr Zog »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #8345 on: November 04, 2019, 02:08:35 am »
When the trolley was done it was time for the lawn again  :sip:

So this time I have a "before" and an "after" pic of the lawn  :imaposer:

And after cutting the grass Maggie and Sammy were finally allowed outside again (we keep them indoors while cutting the grass because I have the side gate open and they have a history of escape  :eek7: ) and Maggie was straight back into the Lilly bush to kill stuff, while Sammy just looked around a bit then went back into the Aircon coolth inside  :imaposer:

Maggie sits in the porch and watches the squirrels, then when she thinks its the right time she DASHES outside through the doggy flap and races down the garden to try and catch one. So far she hasn't been successful... but she'll keep on trying  :lol8:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #8346 on: November 04, 2019, 02:12:08 am »
Right. So in conclusion, I think the wood trolley worked well. Just needs better castors.

And tomorrow-week Tom van Brits arrives!!! I can't wait for my old buddy, it's been too many years since I last saw him. Probably close on 4 years?

I'll make sure that we get lots of pics of all the kak we get up to in the 2 weeks he will be here  :thumleft:  :peepwall:  :ricky:

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Knucklhead

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles/philistine
« Reply #8347 on: November 04, 2019, 05:25:45 am »
Wondering if this was you  :lol8:

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #8348 on: November 04, 2019, 07:42:01 am »
I like that wood trolley idea.   :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Ri

« Reply #8349 on: November 04, 2019, 04:56:29 pm »
Looks great! :thumleft:

I have a feeling by the time Tom leaves, you will have doubled the size of your home. :sip:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8350 on: November 04, 2019, 07:13:56 pm »
Looks great! :thumleft:

I have a feeling by the time Tom leaves, you will have doubled the size of your home. :sip:

We are sadly on a budget Ri  :deal:

:imaposer:

Offline silvrav

« Reply #8351 on: November 04, 2019, 08:47:23 pm »
Here is the video....Mr Zog must go find them and see if he can get some rugby in

https://www.facebook.com/BrettMasonWright/videos/10156384595290836/

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #8352 on: November 05, 2019, 02:09:35 am »
Here is the video....Mr Zog must go find them and see if he can get some rugby in

https://www.facebook.com/BrettMasonWright/videos/10156384595290836/

I don't know them, and Florida is BIG. Distance from southernmost tip to Georgia border in the north is about the same a Pretoria to Cape Town  :eek7:

But it's narrow. You'll never be more than about 90 minutes from the ocean  :biggrin:

The following users thanked this post: silvrav

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #8353 on: November 05, 2019, 02:10:19 am »
Wondering if this was you  :lol8:

Nope  :peepwall:  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #8354 on: November 05, 2019, 02:11:14 am »
Today week Tom arrives  :ricky:

I'm just as excited as he is  :ricky:

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline AndreB

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #8355 on: November 05, 2019, 08:44:13 am »
Mr Zog (Gary)
Kyk hierna

Andre
If you want to run with the big dogs you must learn to pee high.

The following users thanked this post: Mr Zog

Offline tok-tokkie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #8356 on: November 05, 2019, 09:56:51 am »
That Polish home made lift - the screw is special.  It is not a piece of threaded bar.  It has square or Acme threads which are MUCH better for that application.  Zog, that is the sort of screw you need if you are going to make a scissors work table. 

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #8357 on: November 05, 2019, 10:05:31 am »
That Polish home made lift - the screw is special.  It is not a piece of threaded bar.  It has square or Acme threads which are MUCH better for that application.  Zog, that is the sort of screw you need if you are going to make a scissors work table.

100% agreed  8)
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #8358 on: November 05, 2019, 10:59:51 am »
Leadscrew as used in CNC machines :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8359 on: November 05, 2019, 06:31:14 pm »
Here is your cuteness for the day.

(When it's too early for lunch and you're trying your hardest to get it now.)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 06:33:31 pm by Mrs. Zog »

The following users thanked this post: Bikerboer1973