Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 926775 times)

Mossie05 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Philemon

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My pack
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #8380 on: November 08, 2019, 07:29:57 am »
Hello Gary

Check this out - for the idea - on WD Forum today.
Bike or Quad workshop hydraulic lift
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=242338.0;topicseen

Cant be too difficult for you to make.

Have a great day
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.                 .  .  .  .  .  Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #8381 on: November 08, 2019, 07:45:43 am »
My son made one for me much like the one noted above, biggest change was we used a hydrolic cylinder and small hydrolic pump rather than the jack. It is heavy and hard to move around but you might be able to lighten and add wheels on one end.
He found the plans on line but I don't know where.
 :ricky:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #8382 on: November 09, 2019, 03:47:22 am »
Hello Gary

Check this out - for the idea - on WD Forum today.
Bike or Quad workshop hydraulic lift
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=242338.0;topicseen

Cant be too difficult for you to make.

Have a great day

Thanks for that P  :thumleft:

I'd love to try make one with steel like that, but steel around here is just waaaay too expensive  :(
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #8383 on: November 11, 2019, 02:13:32 am »
What is one of the things I miss the most about living in South Africa?

I'll get to that in just a bit.  :sip:  :lol8:

But first, the weekend.

I was on call this weekend, I got called by a colleague just before 5pm Friday evening (yes, evening, it gets dark around 6pm) to help him out. He had a submersible pump inside an aerator tank that wasn't getting up to pressure and he couldn't figure it out. So I headed on over to help him figure it out.

I was there less than 10 minutes when I showed him that the side of the pump was completely split open. He couldn't see it because the tank was full of water, but I stood on my modified milk crate and could see down into the water. So I headed over to the shop to go get a new one while he pulled the old one out and got stuff prepped for the install.

We finally had the new pump installed and sorted by 7:30pm, so I headed on home. Back home at 8pm, supper, a drink, and bed.

Saturday I spent the entire morning cleaning the house. There are different levels of cleaning; the first level is just running the vacuum over the floors and putting stuff back where it belongs. The next level means actually moving furniture when you vacuum, and wiping the dust off stuff, and putting stuff away where it belongs. The top level means buckets of water and soap and scrubbing brushes and rags and vacuums and stuff. Saturday was one of those "top level" kind of cleaning days.

I scrubbed the entire bathroom from top to bottom, scrubbed the toilet inside and out, scrubbed the floor tiles, scrubbed down the shower, did a proper cleaning of the washbasin and cabinets. The kind of deep clean that needs to be done every so often...

Tom van Brits arrives tomorrow (Monday) so I also cleaned up his room, the dogs had had a field day in there so there was lots of Sammy hair on the carpet, and everything else. I filled up the dust canister on the vacuum completely with Sammy hair just vacuuming out the Florida room  :eek7:  (he IS a very hairy man you know  :deal: )

I was eventually done by around 2pm, had a sammich for lunch, then went off to the supermarket to get some supplies. Apart from the necessities like milk and veg and stuff, we now have a dozen ice cold beers in the fridge for tomorrow evening when I get Tom home  :biggrin:  :drif:

So back to the original question; what is one of the things I miss the most about living in South Africa is Gertrude. Gertrude was our Zimbo maid, she came over once a week and cleaned the house, did the ironing, and washed the dishes. She did the kind of cleaning that I did Saturday. She was amazing. We paid her around double what the "going rate" was, and she was worth every penny. I miss Gertrude  :lol8:

Today was another "chores" day. Mostly. I washed my tekkies. I cleaned up the front porch, I did the weed eating and mowed the lawn, I gave Maggie a shave and a bath.

I also finally made a base for my bench grinder that incorporates the "debris catcher" and a lamp for better looking at what I am grinding. The base sits on top of the workbench when I need the grinder, and then it comes off and slides into its slot under the workbench when not in use. The lamp needed some modification, and figuring out a system that stops the whole contraption vibrating around when the grinder is running took a few minutes to figure out, and a bit longer to make. But I like it, it works, and it's simple. Maybe Tom can remind me to take some pics for y'all  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Now I'm sitting typing this to y'all, then I'll have some supper before bed. Tomorrow I have a 3/4 day at work then I go get Tom at the airport in Orlando.

Big pity for Tom. There is a SpaceX launch scheduled for tomorrow morning. Unless there is a problem and they postpone the launch he will miss it  :(

Holding thumbs for bad weather or a technical problem at the launch site  :peepwall:  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #8384 on: November 11, 2019, 02:25:02 am »
What is one of the things I miss the most about living in South Africa?

Couldn't agree more  :peepwall:

Offline BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #8385 on: November 11, 2019, 03:35:08 am »
Me too!!!! :biggrin:
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them." Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8386 on: November 11, 2019, 04:52:14 am »
Yes super excited, I was supposed to be off and the morning I went to Ottawa fishing lake in Minneapolis KS. No other South African has been there before working for us and it is actually very close to where we work on the farm, only a 15min drive.

So I was looking the water and pictures of fish that came out of there and dreamed away of my visit at the Zogs, I hope well get to catch some nice fish!! Also made a turn at Rock City and thought to come back to the RV and make sure everything is packed and ready for tomorrow.

Pok then I was called and told that the RV should be winterized and cleaned....pok  :eek7: So it seems both the Zogs and me had deep cleaning day!!

Well I'm ready for the trip now, and to see a rocket launch will be one huge bonus but I know we will have a good time regardless.

Now to get some sleep, then tomorrow morearly out to start the compressor on the service truck and to blow out all the water of the RV. At around 7H10 an inspection by the boss and then well get into the 2 x bakkies and head to Wichita. Flight to Atlanta is at 11H10am and I have little time between flights to connect to Orlando. I am a bit worried about that but I'm sure all will be fine, I did not book it alone but with the help of a trip advisor over the phone and they sure know their work. The luggage will probably be booked through to Orlando.

The cameras battery is fully charged, so watch this space!!  :laughing4:

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8387 on: November 11, 2019, 05:41:54 am »
Nice - enjoy the time with Mr Z  :thumleft:
Eat life!

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Mr. Python

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Carpe Canum
« Reply #8388 on: November 11, 2019, 02:34:23 pm »
Hey Gary,
I know you want to avoid steel but couldn't resist posting a pick of the one I made.
It lifts symmetrically rather than the simpler style where the balance point shift as you raise it.
It is on casters, but I would make them bigger on a rebuild and make brackets on the outside of the frame for better stability.
If the caster are facing in it can be precarious on full extension.
I started with the handle but my big drill raises and lowers it way quicker.
Life ....  when I was younger I had all these cool brave quotes and tag lines .... then life happened  ... and I have no socialialy acceptable  words 😶

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #8389 on: November 11, 2019, 04:40:48 pm »
Soooo

IS TOM THERE YET?!!!  :peepwall:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8390 on: November 11, 2019, 05:01:01 pm »
Tom should be getting to the airport around now. Unfortunately the rocket just went up, so he won't get to see it. I couldn't see it either, it was partly cloudy and I couldn't see a thing.  :-\
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8391 on: November 11, 2019, 05:04:36 pm »
So poor Tom has been living on microwave food and takeways. I'm on a mission to feed him well for the next two weeks.

On the menu for tonight we have beef stew with rice, fresh bread and butter, and apple pie and cream. Beer in the fridge. That should do the trick for the first night...

Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

The following users thanked this post: woody1, Tom van Brits, Oubones

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #8392 on: November 11, 2019, 05:35:48 pm »
So poor Tom has been living on microwave food and takeways. I'm on a mission to feed him well for the next two weeks.

On the menu for tonight we have beef stew with rice, fresh bread and butter, and apple pie and cream. Beer in the fridge. That should do the trick for the first night...

EDIT: "Poor" only because he wouldn't give up some sleep to cook a proper meal. You should include a spoonful of cement with the cream. :pot: :imaposer:

You are never going to get rid of him... but he can also cook so it would lighten your load, hehe.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 05:39:20 pm by Ri »
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8393 on: November 11, 2019, 05:46:57 pm »
Ri, you know, I always wanted to have two men at the same time: one cooking and one cleaning  :imaposer: :pot:

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #8394 on: November 11, 2019, 05:55:05 pm »
Ri, you know, I always wanted to have two men at the same time: one cooking and one cleaning  :imaposer: :pot:

You're going to need a third one then to pay the bills :spitcoffee:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8395 on: November 11, 2019, 06:22:14 pm »
Good idea! Maybe I'll just stop working and let them do it all.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8396 on: November 11, 2019, 06:26:22 pm »
 :imaposer:  :imaposer:

Funny people  :lol8:

I'm waiting at Wichita boarding gate now, and after landing in Arlanta I'll have to make it quick to the next boarding gate to Orlando!!

We were driving 2 hours in light snow, wind is gusting at over 50mph..looking fw to Florida weather.

Mrs Zog that meal sounds  :drif: :drif: !!
Cant wait!!

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8397 on: November 11, 2019, 06:29:30 pm »
Tom, I have your flight on FlightTracker on my laptop. You're set to depart on time and arrive on time in Atlanta  :thumleft: I will be tracking you  :P

We're going to have a severe cold snap this week, but no fear, it'll still be in the mid-20 degrees Celsius during the daytime. No need for the winter woolens...

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8398 on: November 11, 2019, 06:33:19 pm »
 :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: halfjob

Offline Sardine

• I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #8399 on: November 11, 2019, 07:52:42 pm »
That dinner sounds amazing!

Enjoy everyone  :ricky: