Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 941484 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #8580 on: November 24, 2019, 01:41:24 am »
What is the chance meeting another South African in Florida that has also been on Gough Island for a year expedition?
Gary has got the friend Pieter he was telling me about, and that we are going to do some deep sea fishing together.
It turned out he was on Gough Island 1986 and we had much to talk about!
He also happened to be a skydiver and I used to skydive and had to stop after my unfortunate accident back in 2003 but he knows all the people, even skydived at Wonderboom Pretoria where I got most of my jumps.
Once again like we always say; 'small world'  :)

We enjoyed a good day out on the ocean, the water was flat like I have never seen an ocean before in my life.
Maybe that was not good for some fish we have hoped to target but we dit catch a number of sharks, and obviously releasing them immediately. Gary got some reef fish and I also got a Spanish Mackerel.

Florida is a beutiful state, and a fisherman's paradise.  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #8581 on: November 24, 2019, 03:03:45 am »
Yup.

Today was a good day, albeit a long one. We were up at 4am, coffee, then off to be at Pieter's place by 5am. Into his vehicle towing his boat, stopped for ice at the 24hr ice machine (it dispenses 20lb bags of ice for $2 each), then off to the launch site at Sebastian.

Pieter wanted to be on the water before first light because after so many cold days, windy days, and crappy days he thought that the launch site would be very busy by sunrise. When the first rays of dawn started appearing over the eastern horizon we were already at one of the spoil islands in the Indian river lagoon where we (well, Pieter actually 8) ) threw his cast new and bagged around 30 mullet for bait. They went into the livewell, and we headed out of the Sebastian inlet into the vast deep yonder of the Atlantic ocean.  :ricky:

We did some trawling early for Kingfish, but they were very uncoperative. Eventually we stopped off at a weed mat and used some of the live bait to try for the fish under the surface of the weed mat, but all we got were some smallish sharks. Tom actually got his first Black Tipped Reef Shark  :thumleft:  The sharks were all pretty small, and all were safely released back into the water. No pics were taken today because salt water and electronic devices just don't mix well.  :(  We left the phones securely sealed inside waterproof containers.

Then we tried some more trawling, but still no takers. Eventually we stopped over a reef and tried for some reef fishes. Tom and Pieter both just got sharks, but I was able to also get a couple of undersized snappers that were immediately returned as well.

Finally we decided top start heading back from around 12 miles offshore, and trawled back, dragging lures and fish-bait behind the boat. Around 3 miles offshore we finally got a small (no size limit) Spanish Mackerel that Tom pulled in. Finally back at the launch site we put the boat back onto the trailer, and headed to Pieters house where the boat and all the tackle was washed, and the single fishy filleted. Finally got home just as it was getting completely dark.

The fishing wasn't great today, but a bad days fishing still beats a good day working  :peepwall:

An early night tonight. Tomorrow Tom and I have some small projects to get done, then Mrs Zog and I are taking him for an airboat ride in the afternoon  :biggrin:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #8582 on: November 24, 2019, 07:44:02 am »
And from now on I will not let Maggie swim in the river ever again.  :-\

To save the sharks...? ;D
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

Offline WheelieDog

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • DL650 VStrom
« Reply #8583 on: November 24, 2019, 11:00:41 am »
Three guys go fishing for the whole day and come back with one fish.

I stopped at Pick nPay and bought fish fingers. Sommer twelve in a box. :imaposer:
For the love of it.

Online frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #8584 on: November 24, 2019, 02:23:17 pm »
We went fishing on the Sebastian river today in the John boat.
Very lekker boat, it was a beutiful experience and I did get a catfish whilst Gary got a shark.
No change to take a picture of the shark because of waterproofing the cellphones and that oke got many tooth  :eek7:
We had many runs on the lifebait but either got half a baitfish back or a miss trike.
Anyway lots of fun! :thumleft:

Looks quite like our freshwater silver barbel (catfish) aka makriel.

We also get marine barbel, both fish-tailed and eel-tailed. Fish-tailed is not bad eating but those spikes are very unpleasant.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8585 on: November 24, 2019, 02:25:50 pm »
And from now on I will not let Maggie swim in the river ever again.  :-\

To save the sharks...? ;D

:imaposer:
Eat life!

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8586 on: November 24, 2019, 02:27:20 pm »
Tom - did you make those rolls? Man they look FANTASTIC!!! - would you mind sending me your recipe PLEASE  :thumleft:

When do you go back?
Eat life!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8587 on: November 24, 2019, 02:40:07 pm »
Tom - did you make those rolls? Man they look FANTASTIC!!! - would you mind sending me your recipe PLEASE  :thumleft:

When do you go back?

Yes I have made them, actually very easy and will sent the recipe - just remind me please!

On Thursday I should be back home.  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay, Sardine

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8588 on: November 24, 2019, 05:46:50 pm »

When do you go back?

Yes I have made them, actually very easy and will sent the recipe - just remind me please!

On Thursday I should be back home.  :thumleft:

Thank you kind Sir  :thumleft:

Enjoy the last few days.
Eat life!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8589 on: November 25, 2019, 01:50:14 am »
Today the Zog's decided to treat me on an airboat ride.

It is very focused on the environment, Alligators and birds like the 'spoonbill', cattle egret and the bald Eagle to name a few.

Unfortunately I do not have a long lens here and could not capture close up shots.

What an amazing experience, I have really loved this big time and at last we all got to do and enjoy something together! :laughing4: :thumleft:

I have also decided impulsively this morning to try and change my flights:

My flight back home is from Wichita to Atlanta to Johannesburg SA. I have asked when I have booked the flight to Orlando if they could allow me to 'ignore' the Wichita to Atlanta leg and allow me to get up in Atlanta but they said 'sorry we cannot split the flight, it is seen as one'. If I happened to miss the first leg which I wanted to, then the rest of the flight would have been and treated as a 'no show'.

So I bought a ticket from Whichita to Atlanta to Orlando, and a return from Orlando to Atlanta to Whicita only to make my original flight home.
I would have spent a night in Wichita as well.

This morning I phoned Delta and asked if they could assist but the girl was having difficulty understanding what I want.....I think my Afrikaans accent was a bit heavy on the phone line and Gary intervened and told her what I need.
In a heartbeat she has changed my flight: Wednesday from Orlando to Atlanta, and a few hours later Atlanta to SA. On the first flight I had to pay 9dollar 50cent in, and on the second one I got a 100dollar refund! Now that made me smile, I was really really happy!!  :3some:

The following users thanked this post: silvrav

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8590 on: November 25, 2019, 01:52:58 am »
A request for assistance please.

A big ask, I know. But if you don't ask then the answer is always no.  :sip:

Tom flies back to SA on Wednesday, he lands at ORT Johannesburg around 4:20pm on Thursday. He needs a ride back to Brits.

He can grab the Gautrain to Hatfield if necessary.

If anyone can help with a ride to Brits for him and his suitcase on Thursday I would really appreciate it. So would Tom, I'm sure.  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 02:53:16 am by Mr Zog »
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8591 on: November 25, 2019, 02:23:29 am »
This morning Tom and I hit the various stores for supplies; Walmart for some food items, Home Depot for gardening supplies, Tractor Supply for a tool Tom wanted to take back to SA, and Harbor Freight for some really cheap (on a 30% off coupon) Vise Grips that I wanted.

Then back home for brunch, then we headed off to the little town of Christmas (nope, I'm not kidding  :imaposer: ) about an hour North of us for the Airboat Ride.

Back home I prepped the first batch of Big Oil's lamb chops for the braai.

They were fully defrosted, and I had quite a choice of seasoning available, but decided to just go with the very mild Walker Bay braai seasoning, and the Marina Braai salt. I wanted to taste the lamb, not a whole bunch of spices.  :deal:

The lamb was seared for about 45 seconds per side over the searing grill, then placed onto the regular grill over the lowest heat setting. I turned the chops periodically, and I did salt them one more time, very lightly, with the Marina Braai salt as most of it burned off on the searing grill.

About 30 minutes over the low heat on the grill, then another 30 seconds per side with the grill on full heat to just sear up the fat. Then took the chops off and rested them in the braai pan for a couple of minutes while we got ready for supper.

Lamb chops, beer brats (with Mrs Balls chutney), coleslaw and fresh bread rolls.

I have to say, the lamb that Big Oil sent us is BY FAR the very best lamb that I have eaten thus far in the USA.  :drif: :drif: :drif:

Tender, juicy, and a true lamb flavor that is simply to die for  :drif:   It is most definitely on a par with the finest Karoo lamb. No jokes, simple truth.  :deal:  :thumleft:

Last pic - enough said

The following users thanked this post: big oil

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8592 on: November 25, 2019, 05:39:22 am »
Niiiiice - there's still some meat on those bones Bru  :imaposer:

I didn't realise Tom was returning to SA. Is that permanent or just a holiday? Was the work in the USA just a temporary thing? Is he going back to work in the USA?

Sorry I can't help at OR Tambo - I'm in Cape Town. If I were there I would help no problem.
Eat life!

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #8593 on: November 25, 2019, 06:22:29 am »
Those chops are tops! :drif:
Sure you guys enjoyed them. :thumleft:
James, you have given a memory that will not be forgotten!
You need to leave your nonsense en come to our country so we can get to meet you in person!   :thumleft:
@big oil
Sorry Tom, if you catch a flight to Durban, I can give you lift home but not your Brits home! :peepwall
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #8594 on: November 25, 2019, 07:49:57 am »
Fly to Riversdale and I will pick you up.  :laughing4:

Enjoy your last couple of days.

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Takashi

« Reply #8595 on: November 25, 2019, 09:21:29 am »
A request for assistance please.

A big ask, I know. But if you don't ask then the answer is always no.  :sip:

Tom flies back to SA on Wednesday, he lands at ORT Johannesburg around 4:20pm on Thursday. He needs a ride back to Brits.

He can grab the Gautrain to Hatfield if necessary.

If anyone can help with a ride to Brits for him and his suitcase on Thursday I would really appreciate it. So would Tom, I'm sure.  :thumleft:

I am dropping my girlfriend off at OR Thambo on Thursday evening, her flight leaves at 20h30 so if Tom is willing to wait a bit then I will give him a lift.

Online Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #8596 on: November 25, 2019, 10:38:57 am »

Tender, juicy, and a true lamb flavor that is simply to die for  :drif:   It is most definitely on a par with the finest Karoo lamb. No jokes, simple truth.  :deal:  :thumleft:

I can believe that - proper lamb is always soft and flavourful, and sounds like you certainly got the best, looks beautiful.

Karoo lamb just has a different taste because they have a different diet. To some people they taste quite wild and they don't like it at all (my mom, a true Free Stater). I absolutely love it, which colours my opinions a bit :redface:

I would be very interested to introduce big oil to it and see what he thinks. I hope we can give it as soft a send-off as he managed to arrange for that lovely lamb that made its way to you. :thumleft:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #8597 on: November 25, 2019, 10:45:42 am »

I can believe that - proper lamb is always soft and flavourful, and sounds like you certainly got the best, looks beautiful.

Karoo lamb just has a different taste because they have a different diet. To some people they taste quite wild and they don't like it at all (my mom, a true Free Stater). I absolutely love it, which colours my opinions a bit :redface:

I would be very interested to introduce big oil to it and see what he thinks. I hope we can give it as soft a send-off as he managed to arrange for that lovely lamb that made its way to you. :thumleft:

The Welsh have just (a year or so ago) got past the EU and are allowed to sell "Salt Marsh Lamb" the sheep graze on the Coastal Salt Marshes where the shrubs etc give the meat a different flavor to hill sheep, previously in was in contravention of EU Rules to do so (now it is sold at a premium price). :sip:
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Online Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #8598 on: November 25, 2019, 10:49:36 am »

The Welsh have just (a year or so ago) got past the EU and are allowed to sell "Salt Marsh Lamb" the sheep graze on the Coastal Salt Marshes where the shrubs etc give the meat a different flavor to hill sheep, previously in was in contravention of EU Rules to do so (now it is sold at a premium price). :sip:

Pre-flavoured too? We'll probably not see it in South Africa. But good lamb is good lamb... and good lamb is excellent  :drif:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8599 on: November 25, 2019, 12:24:16 pm »
BUT - it should be braaied on a wood fire - to get the full effect ne'.

Mr Zog - are you not allowed to make wood fires over there? - or is the gas just more convenient?

Eat life!