Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 941448 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #8600 on: November 25, 2019, 02:49:17 pm »
Niiiiice - there's still some meat on those bones Bru  :imaposer:

I didn't realise Tom was returning to SA. Is that permanent or just a holiday? Was the work in the USA just a temporary thing? Is he going back to work in the USA?

Sorry I can't help at OR Tambo - I'm in Cape Town. If I were there I would help no problem.

Unfortunately the H2a Visa expires 1st of December and I was only allowed to work for the farmer sponsoring the visa and even had to get his "ok' on my holiday at the end since he is basically responsible for his workers and need to know there whereabouts.
The agriculture contracts are seasonal. This is not my threat so I am not going into all the detail but I basically need to start looking for work right away once back home!  :)

My sister has just let me know that she'll be back from her business trip in time to pick me up at the airport on Thursday. Thanks so much for the offer @Takashi   :thumleft: but I'm sorted!!

Offline Takashi

« Reply #8601 on: November 25, 2019, 03:38:46 pm »
My sister has just let me know that she'll be back from her business trip in time to pick me up at the airport on Thursday. Thanks so much for the offer @Takashi   :thumleft: but I'm sorted!!

The offer stands regardless! I will PM you my cell number if your plans change for some reason.

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits, Oubones, big oil

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #8602 on: November 25, 2019, 03:48:36 pm »
My flight back home is from Wichita to Atlanta to Johannesburg SA. I have asked when I have booked the flight to Orlando if they could allow me to 'ignore' the Wichita to Atlanta leg and allow me to get up in Atlanta but they said 'sorry we cannot split the flight, it is seen as one'. If I happened to miss the first leg which I wanted to, then the rest of the flight would have been and treated as a 'no show'.

So I bought a ticket from Whichita to Atlanta to Orlando, and a return from Orlando to Atlanta to Whicita only to make my original flight home.
I would have spent a night in Wichita as well.

This morning I phoned Delta and asked if they could assist but the girl was having difficulty understanding what I want.....I think my Afrikaans accent was a bit heavy on the phone line and Gary intervened and told her what I need.
In a heartbeat she has changed my flight: Wednesday from Orlando to Atlanta, and a few hours later Atlanta to SA. On the first flight I had to pay 9dollar 50cent in, and on the second one I got a 100dollar refund! Now that made me smile, I was really really happy!!  :3some:

I had similar requirement to change a Delta booking around ten years ago.
I also wanted to drop the first leg of the return flight.
After struggling to get the lady at the call centre to understand, I overheard her asking a supervisor... speaking Afrikaans...!
I asked her where the call centre was located.
It was in Cape Town and I was in Charlotte NC.
The rest of the conversation was in Afrikaans, the booking was changed with no problems.
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline dieseldawie

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • I like to drink lots of beer
« Reply #8603 on: November 25, 2019, 05:32:37 pm »
A request for assistance please.

A big ask, I know. But if you don't ask then the answer is always no.  :sip:

Tom flies back to SA on Wednesday, he lands at ORT Johannesburg around 4:20pm on Thursday. He needs a ride back to Brits.

He can grab the Gautrain to Hatfield if necessary.

If anyone can help with a ride to Brits for him and his suitcase on Thursday I would really appreciate it. So would Tom, I'm sure.  :thumleft:

I am assuming that it will take Tom at least 45 mins to get through passport control customs etc?? I  Live 8 km  from the airport and should be home from around 5. 30 latest. If Tom is prepared to stick some juice in my 3L concrete eater I am sure I can get him to Brits. You have my phone number. Whatsapp me.
Where are my shorts??

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8604 on: November 25, 2019, 05:42:07 pm »
My flight back home is from Wichita to Atlanta to Johannesburg SA. I have asked when I have booked the flight to Orlando if they could allow me to 'ignore' the Wichita to Atlanta leg and allow me to get up in Atlanta but they said 'sorry we cannot split the flight, it is seen as one'. If I happened to miss the first leg which I wanted to, then the rest of the flight would have been and treated as a 'no show'.

So I bought a ticket from Whichita to Atlanta to Orlando, and a return from Orlando to Atlanta to Whicita only to make my original flight home.
I would have spent a night in Wichita as well.

This morning I phoned Delta and asked if they could assist but the girl was having difficulty understanding what I want.....I think my Afrikaans accent was a bit heavy on the phone line and Gary intervened and told her what I need.
In a heartbeat she has changed my flight: Wednesday from Orlando to Atlanta, and a few hours later Atlanta to SA. On the first flight I had to pay 9dollar 50cent in, and on the second one I got a 100dollar refund! Now that made me smile, I was really really happy!!  :3some:

I had similar requirement to change a Delta booking around ten years ago.
I also wanted to drop the first leg of the return flight.
After struggling to get the lady at the call centre to understand, I overheard her asking a supervisor... speaking Afrikaans...!
I asked her where the call centre was located.
It was in Cape Town and I was in Charlotte NC.
The rest of the conversation was in Afrikaans, the booking was changed with no problems.

:spitcoffee: Hilarious....We also met South Africans in Oklahoma and also started off in English till I interrupted the conversation halfway through the line where the other guy used the word 'lekker'  :imaposer:

The offer stands regardless! I will PM you my cell number if your plans change for some reason.

Appreciate, thanks! :thumleft:

I have just returned from a 10km run, the last one here and tonight I'll unpack and pack my luggage for the last time.
I'll do a little bit of gardening today (I love gardening)
Just had a bit of a slow start, Gary and Alex are already hard at work since early morn and I feel guilty for a slow start to the day.

I was spoiled rotten by the Zogs, regardless of their busy schedules. Gary will take me to Orlando airport Wednesday morning, and I will miss them and especially also Maggy and Sammy. They have crawled into my heart. Last time I saw Them in SA Sammy was still a puppy.

Anyway, a privilege and so all good things come to and end. Lasting memories though!!  :thumleft:
I am doing this post now because I know tomorrow I'll soon be in another mindset because of the travels and so on.

THANK YOU very much Alex and Gary for having me, I respect you guys!

Also thank you to Big Oil for the beutiful lamb and friendship/advice and to all who offered to help getting me home (it seems I'm really sorted but I'll keep that number just incase!) Also to all the dogs that are kind to the Zogs and me, it is really appreciated and respect to you all.

The people I'm bringing some parcels, give me a whatsapp around coming Friday morning with your name, address and I'll quickly go by postnet.
My SA number (hope it is still working, my daughter dit put money on it) is: Tom Mc Sherry zero 79 four 50 67 three 2.

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8605 on: November 25, 2019, 05:43:24 pm »
A request for assistance please.

A big ask, I know. But if you don't ask then the answer is always no.  :sip:

Tom flies back to SA on Wednesday, he lands at ORT Johannesburg around 4:20pm on Thursday. He needs a ride back to Brits.

He can grab the Gautrain to Hatfield if necessary.

If anyone can help with a ride to Brits for him and his suitcase on Thursday I would really appreciate it. So would Tom, I'm sure.  :thumleft:

I am assuming that it will take Tom at least 45 mins to get through passport control customs etc?? I  Live 8 km  from the airport and should be home from around 5. 30 latest. If Tom is prepared to stick some juice in my 3L concrete eater I am sure I can get him to Brits. You have my phone number. Whatsapp me.

Thanks mate, I am however sorted  :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #8606 on: November 26, 2019, 02:34:13 am »
We don't get "proper" sunsets very often here in Florida.

But driving home this evening I saw a magnificent sunset. Stuck in traffic I managed to get a couple of pics on my phone.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8607 on: November 26, 2019, 02:40:49 am »
I had a long hard day at work today.

It always seems it's been a hard one after you had three days off  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

But Tom spoilt us with take-out dinner this evening  :drif:

Tomorrow he'll drop me at work, then take my bakkie and give Bass Pro Shops a final "hail Mary" visit  :imaposer:

I told him to also pop in next door at the Space Coast Harley Davidson dealer.  :ricky:  I have a feeling that some time down the line he'll post a couple of pics of what he saw there. Lines and lines of Harleys, Harleys up the Ying-Yang  :pot:  :imaposer:

Then he'll have to come collect me from work again so that I have my bakkie at home so I can go drop him off at the airport in Orlando Wednesday morning. Wednseday is traditionally THE BUSIEST travel day in the USA, literally MILLIONS of Americans will be travelling to be with their families for Thanksgiving on Thursday. I hope that Tom doesn't have too many queues and delays.  :sip:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8608 on: November 26, 2019, 03:30:27 am »
Ok one last post relevant to my visit and then I'm out of here!

Mrs Zog has asked me to post a few pictures of Midway airboat ride regardless of the fact that I did not have a long lens, just to share the memory so here goes in no particular order: Spoonbill birds (beutiful) and aligators plus ceder trees. Note flood-lines visible on the trees - Hurricane flood lines.

Cheers  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8609 on: November 26, 2019, 03:31:11 am »
 :)

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8610 on: November 26, 2019, 03:31:51 am »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8611 on: November 26, 2019, 03:32:27 am »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8612 on: November 26, 2019, 03:33:11 am »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8613 on: November 26, 2019, 03:33:57 am »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8614 on: November 26, 2019, 03:35:57 am »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8615 on: November 26, 2019, 03:36:50 am »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8616 on: November 26, 2019, 03:37:36 am »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8617 on: November 26, 2019, 03:38:30 am »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8618 on: November 26, 2019, 03:43:13 am »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8619 on: November 26, 2019, 03:57:46 am »
The pink birds are Roseate Spoonbills, and the trees with the fat bottoms are Bald Cypress trees. They are able to survive living on flood plains because of their interesting root structures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxodium_distichum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roseate_spoonbill

The gators are the little sister family members of the African Nile Crocodile. Smaller, weaker, less aggressive, scared of humans, and generally the "softies" of the alligator world  :peepwall:  :pot:  :imaposer: