Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 941455 times)

FIXER and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Wayne

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #8620 on: November 26, 2019, 05:37:12 am »
Some pretty awesome pics Tom.

Sent from my SM-T825 using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #8621 on: November 26, 2019, 07:30:00 am »
Thanks for sharing.

some brave cows drinking water there.  :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #8622 on: November 26, 2019, 09:48:53 am »
Thanks for sharing.

Perhaps 'gators aren't into beef ?
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #8623 on: November 26, 2019, 09:58:36 am »
Thanks for sharing.

they prefer redneck meat!! ;) :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #8624 on: November 26, 2019, 11:33:28 am »
Tom, those photo's are magnificent, thank you so much. You have a really good eye, I love those tree photo's. Also, stuff the long lens, you could probably make magic with a mik-'n-drukkie ;D

Have a good flight home.

So sad the two threads have to diverge again, I really enjoyed seeing a bit of the Zogs' life from the outside, and so wonderful that this opportunity came by.

Gary and Alex, sounds like there was some proper mutual spoiling going on, with help from some big-hearted American ;) Thanks for treating Tom so well. I'm a little teary that it's over now. Yous okes are all wonderful people.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits, big oil

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8625 on: November 26, 2019, 03:13:51 pm »
Thanks for sharing.

they prefer redneck meat!! ;) :lol8:

The guide actually mentioned the percentage of cattle lost per year due to the gators but said that the farmer is very old fashioned and also don't ear tag his cattle.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8626 on: November 26, 2019, 05:35:20 pm »
Thanks for sharing.

The tour guide said that the farmers lose about 6-10 cows per year to gators, mostly old animals and calves. (These are beef cattle, by the way).

P.S. Just saw Tom's comment, duh!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 05:36:24 pm by Mrs. Zog »
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8627 on: November 27, 2019, 10:03:04 pm »
Mr and Mrs Z were great, they have gone out of their way to make my stay comfy and memorable.
Thanks so much!!

Gary dropped me off at Orlando and we thought it would be busy due to Thanksgiving and foul weather elsewhere in the states but in the contrary I was 1st in line at Delta check in, 3rd at security and even Atlanta is quieter than my previous experience.

I am stunned by the customs.....this is the first country ever that do not do passport control/customs on your way out!

My luggage was booked through from Orlando to SA and they assured mr I stay in transit and just scan my second boarding pass which I did get online upon exit and just show my passport at the boarding gate.

I just met 5 other Afrikaans speaking farmers at the boarding and they immediately cornered me and said: ' Oom what to do, we were not stamped out...." I said well this confirms I have got the correct information since they flew from a different port.

Nowhere else in the world I have traveled before did we skip customs on exit, they always checked if you were not in violation of your work visa etc. Well this only means one thing, the system do this electronically and you will probably be flagged once your visa is past the expiration and grace period (10 days) if you have not left through some international exit....either this or 5 + 1 South Africans are in trouble  :peepwall:  :thumleft:

I trust all ok.

I already miss them doggies, Maggie and Sammy.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8628 on: November 27, 2019, 10:36:11 pm »
We had such a great time with Tom, it was really sad to see him leave this morning. The doggies especially are moping around the house.  :(

I had a previous life (post-military) with Immigration and Customs Enforcement. So I can say with total confidence:

CBP does not stamp you out, that is correct. They keep track of your leaving electronically via the passenger manifest from the airline. If you overstay your visa, trust me, they know, and they will want to talk to you next time you arrive.  :deal:

« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 12:11:42 am by Mrs. Zog »
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8629 on: November 28, 2019, 12:57:00 am »
We had such a great time with Tom, it was really sad to see him leave this morning. The doggies especially are moping around the house.  :(

I had a previous life (post-military) with Immigration and Customs Enforcement. So I can say with total confidence:

CBP does not stamp you out, that is correct. They keep track of your leaving electronically via the passenger manifest from the airline. If you overstay your visa, trust me, they know, and they will want to talk to you next time you arrive.  :deal:

Sitting on the plane now, just had to show my passport and as I approached the boarding gate a facial recognition camera/screen spat out a small ticket with my name and seat number....the Mericans are clever  :deal:  :thumleft:

Who knows if I'll ever see this beutiful country again?
All in all a great experience.  :3some:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #8630 on: November 28, 2019, 02:12:58 am »
I was very sad dropping Tom off at the airport this morning  :'(

Right now I am guessing he is already in the air over the vast Atlantic ocean towards South Africa. Probably only another 14 hours and he will be back on Home Soil.

Tom was an awesome house-guest. He spoiled us rotten, we ate more than we usually do, including take-out food. Mrs Zog did make some special dishes for him too, including his favourite, Jambalaya, twice  :biggrin:

I had a longer day than usual, making up for the lost time this morning driving to the airport, but it was absolutely worth it. On the way home I stopped off at Home Depot and grabbed two bags of mulch to finish off a job that Tom did on Tuesday. He completely re-did the front garden bed, ripping out a whole lot of weeds, then putting down a weed-barrier, then putting down ten bags of mulch to keep it all moist, neat and tidy. He even cleaned up around out precious Baobab tree and gave it the same mulch and weed-barrier treatment. Thank you SO MUCH Tom, that was a job I needed to do for several weeks now and just never got around to  :thumleft:

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and I am off for the day. I have several little jobs to do around the house, and then I want to service some of my fishing reels. Hopefully a nice peaceful day :lol8:

Safe travels home Tom, you are welcome back anytime. Please come again!  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits, big oil

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #8631 on: November 28, 2019, 05:43:56 am »
Thanks for the sharing. Now its our turn....

Hmmmm I have a lot of jobs that needs finishing off. :imaposer:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #8632 on: November 28, 2019, 06:47:59 am »
I am stunned by the customs.....this is the first country ever that do not do passport control/customs on your way out!

My luggage was booked through from Orlando to SA and they assured mr I stay in transit and just scan my second boarding pass which I did get online upon exit and just show my passport at the boarding gate.

I just met 5 other Afrikaans speaking farmers at the boarding and they immediately cornered me and said: ' Oom what to do, we were not stamped out...." I said well this confirms I have got the correct information since they flew from a different port.

Nowhere else in the world I have traveled before did we skip customs on exit, they always checked if you were not in violation of your work visa etc. Well this only means one thing, the system do this electronically and you will probably be flagged once your visa is past the expiration and grace period (10 days) if you have not left through some international exit....either this or 5 + 1 South Africans are in trouble  :peepwall:  :thumleft:

From a decade or so ago (may have gone electronic by now!)
When you enter the USA, you are given a white card as part of your entry visa process.
When you exit, this card MUST be handed in - that is proof you exited the USA.
If you did NOT hand in that card, then the records reflect you are still there, overstaying your visa and you will NEVER get back in again...  :eek7:

(I know someone who DID hand it in but the officials misplaced it.  Despite having family in USA to vouch for her departure, she had untold trouble trying to get another US visa and only succeeded after she proved her return flight and re-entry into ZA to the consulate.)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 09:48:32 am by Fudmucker »
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #8633 on: November 28, 2019, 09:14:03 am »
Thanks for the sharing. Now its our turn....

Hmmmm I have a lot of jobs that needs finishing off. :imaposer:

I was thinking the same thing  >:D

And I know a Dog who does deep sea fishing charters :sip:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #8634 on: November 28, 2019, 09:24:25 am »
 precious Baobab tree

Gary did you grow it from a seed? How is it doing in that wet climate? Photo please. :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #8635 on: November 28, 2019, 03:37:46 pm »

Sitting on the plane now, just had to show my passport and as I approached the boarding gate a facial recognition camera/screen spat out a small ticket with my name and seat number....the Mericans are clever  :deal:  :thumleft:

Who knows if I'll ever see this beutiful country again?
All in all a great experience.  :3some:

I trust all went OK, I see huge travel disruption due to Storms in the US? :o
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8636 on: November 28, 2019, 06:22:34 pm »
Pleasant flight with Delta, highly recommended!!

Almost home now!! I see Harties and Brits had a lot of rain!!  :thumleft:

Cheers :)

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8637 on: November 28, 2019, 06:27:19 pm »
Pleasant flight with Delta, highly recommended!!

Almost home now!! I see Harties and Brits had a lot of rain!!  :thumleft:

Cheers :)

So glad you made it home safely!  :thumleft:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8638 on: November 28, 2019, 06:31:19 pm »
From a decade or so ago (may have gone electronic by now!)
When you enter the USA, you are given a white card as part of your entry visa process.
When you exit, this card MUST be handed in - that is proof you exited the USA.
If you did NOT hand in that card, then the records reflect you are still there, overstaying your visa and you will NEVER get back in again...

Yes, you're thinking of Form I94. Not everyone gets that- e.g., people from visa waiver countries don't, and there are a few other exceptions.  :thumleft:

If you overstay for less than 180 days, you will not be barred from re-entry. If you overstay more than 180 days but less than a year, you will be barred from re-entry for 3 years. More than a year of overstay, barred for 10 years.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8639 on: November 28, 2019, 06:34:50 pm »
precious Baobab tree

Gary did you grow it from a seed? How is it doing in that wet climate? Photo please. :thumleft:

Chris, I grew it from seed three years ago. It's doing great. Every winter it sheds its leaves. The first time it happened we thought it was dead, but it just hibernates. In the spring it gets fresh leaves and starts growing again. It's planted in the front garden, it's a little more than meter tall now.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 06:41:31 pm by Mrs. Zog »