Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 984169 times)

Offline Mrs. Zog

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #8820 on: January 09, 2020, 05:22:50 pm »
This rotten paneling is actually what caused most of the bad smell. As soon as that was gone, everything improved 100%.
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #8821 on: January 10, 2020, 06:34:55 am »
This rotten paneling is actually what caused most of the bad smell. As soon as that was gone, everything improved 100%.
Was the humidity caused by a leak or a dog?
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8822 on: January 10, 2020, 06:38:37 am »
Was the humidity caused by a leaking dog?

Fixed  :imaposer:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 06:39:15 am by TeeJay »
Eat life!

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Groot Suzuki aanhanger maar eindig altyd op met 'n Honda!
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Darem al weer 'n Honda XL185 plaas fiets.
« Reply #8823 on: January 10, 2020, 08:54:21 am »
Looks vey nice Mrs Zog, did you guys determine were the leak comes from?
Tans.
Honda Xl185 plaas fiets
Vrou se NC700.

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #8824 on: January 10, 2020, 09:40:40 am »
Geeeeez if you could find time and money to buy old houses, fix them up beautifully like this, and sell them on, I wonder how much profit you could turn. That looks GREAT!! :thumleft: :thumleft:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #8825 on: January 10, 2020, 10:59:08 am »
Geeeeez if you could find time and money to buy old houses, fix them up beautifully like this, and sell them on, I wonder how much profit you could turn. That looks GREAT!! :thumleft: :thumleft:
And while your at it you make a tv program of it so we get to see it ;)

I see the name Zog's Build and Rebuild. :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #8826 on: January 10, 2020, 11:52:35 am »
Re-purposing... Just for Greta :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8827 on: January 10, 2020, 01:35:38 pm »
And while your at it you make a tv program of it so we get to see it ;)

I see the name Zog's Build and Rebuild. :thumleft:

There are a few different shows (in the USA) showing this......nice to watch...and they make a lot of money. Programs like Flip or Flop - I quite like watching it and often think of Mr Zog doing this.
Eat life!

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #8828 on: January 10, 2020, 05:19:16 pm »
Given the apparent practical capabilities of most millenials, this could be a winner.  :peepwall:
Behind every great man, is a woman rolling her eyes.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8829 on: January 10, 2020, 08:55:54 pm »

No, it wasn't a leaky dog! Although the previous owner had a couple of "handbag dogs" - chihuahuas I think, so I'm sure there was plenty of dog pee in the smelly old carpet. We steam cleaned it when we moved in, but it never really came squeaky clean.

The problem was a tiny hole in the outside wall. Our best guess is that every time it rained REALLY hard, the rain would be driven in by the wind and run down between the outside wall and the paneling and then pool at the bottom. Also, after we moved in, we noticed lots of tiny holes all around the porch, same issue. We also had a small roof leak. All of this was plugged after we moved in, but we didn't know about/didn't see the outside wall hole.

The whole porch was an afterthought, anyway, it was not part of the original house. As far as we can determine, they added on the porch in the late 1980s.

Mr. Zog can explain the leak issue better, I'm not sure if this makes a lot of sense.  ???
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

The following users thanked this post: Bikerboer1973

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #8830 on: January 10, 2020, 10:01:22 pm »

No, it wasn't a leaky dog! Although the previous owner had a couple of "handbag dogs" - chihuahuas I think, so I'm sure there was plenty of dog pee in the smelly old carpet. We steam cleaned it when we moved in, but it never really came squeaky clean.

The problem was a tiny hole in the outside wall. Our best guess is that every time it rained REALLY hard, the rain would be driven in by the wind and run down between the outside wall and the paneling and then pool at the bottom. Also, after we moved in, we noticed lots of tiny holes all around the porch, same issue. We also had a small roof leak. All of this was plugged after we moved in, but we didn't know about/didn't see the outside wall hole.

The whole porch was an afterthought, anyway, it was not part of the original house. As far as we can determine, they added on the porch in the late 1980s.

Mr. Zog can explain the leak issue better, I'm not sure if this makes a lot of sense.  ???

I have a small hole in my roof that only leaks when the wind blows in a certain direction. So it is understandable. Can\t fix a leak you can't find.

I'm glad it's all sorted now :thumleft:
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Python

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Groot Suzuki aanhanger maar eindig altyd op met 'n Honda!
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Darem al weer 'n Honda XL185 plaas fiets.
« Reply #8831 on: January 11, 2020, 09:57:53 am »

Your explanation was understandable thanks, had a hole and plugged it  :thumleft:  :imaposer:
Tans.
Honda Xl185 plaas fiets
Vrou se NC700.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #8832 on: January 12, 2020, 07:37:25 pm »
I have that type of problem with ants, any tiny hole in the walls they are in there...

Zog, I am lucky I get great Steak an Chops from a German Butcher (the actual Butcher is English) and they used to be "The Sandton Butchery" before being bought out, they won Best Butchers in Jo,burg a few times "old school".

Family are not great Boerie lovers, so I seldom cook it, wastes too much, yesterday I bought, not a roll (I am old school it should be a roll) but 4 straight pieces of wors, swambo packed it individually so I can have, I braaied tonight German Sausage Wors, Chicken, only one piece of wors, I ate 2/3 daughter grabbed the 1/3 it was delicious, really good Rump Boerie is a delicacy.  :biggrin:
Behind every great man, is a woman rolling her eyes.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #8833 on: January 13, 2020, 02:09:58 am »
I have that type of problem with ants, any tiny hole in the walls they are in there...

Zog, I am lucky I get great Steak an Chops from a German Butcher (the actual Butcher is English) and they used to be "The Sandton Butchery" before being bought out, they won Best Butchers in Jo,burg a few times "old school".

Family are not great Boerie lovers, so I seldom cook it, wastes too much, yesterday I bought, not a roll (I am old school it should be a roll) but 4 straight pieces of wors, swambo packed it individually so I can have, I braaied tonight German Sausage Wors, Chicken, only one piece of wors, I ate 2/3 daughter grabbed the 1/3 it was delicious, really good Rump Boerie is a delicacy.  :biggrin:

Good boerie is simply delicious  :drif: :drif: :drif:

I have such a yearning for some simple "pap & wors met sous"  :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif:  :lol8:

I have simple tastes  :peepwall:  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8834 on: January 13, 2020, 02:21:20 am »
The leaks in the Florida Room...

The first leak was discovered during the first rains after we moved in. The roof had a nasty leak, but I got up there and did a repair, then it leaked again, so I fixed it again, now the roof seems to be ok.

Then the walls. The walls are all windows, with aluminium framework holding it all together. The original installer may have thought that the Florida room was only going to be a porch, or maybe he was just lazy / useless, because there were 5mm x 10mm gaps at all the junctions between the frames. I fixed them by cutting small aluminium strips (around 30mm x 100mm) and using silicone and pop rivets to attach them. That sorted out the gaps.

The last leak was where there is a power conduit coming into the wall from the outside. This was added long after the room was built. It is a dedicated power line for the window-mounted AC unit. The conduit runs along the top of the outside wall, and then goes down the outside wall and into the aluminium sheet that is at the bottom. This is where it was never properly sealed. When it rained from a certain direction the water would catch against the conduit, run down the conduit, and stream into the inside of the paneling. This I fixed by sealing both the inside and the outside with a silicon based caulk. I also found several more little holes when I had the paneling and the insulation removed that I sealed up.

Today I finally finished installing all the new paneling, and I also found that there was a small gap (around 2mm) all around the top of the wall between the wall and the roof  :eek7:  So I filled that gap with more caulking, we should be good to go now  :biggrin:  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8835 on: January 13, 2020, 02:39:13 am »
This weekend was mainly spent getting the Florida room done.

I can happily report that all of the new paneling is now installed, and we are waiting for some extra cash so I can buy the rest of the trim to do the finishing off. But I did get a new transition for the door, that will help stop any water from coming in under the door.

I was on call this weekend, and this morning I got called out, on the way home I spotted a lawn mower on the street, so I pulled over and loaded it into the van.

This afternoon after finishing off the Florida room, I had a "quick look" at the mower. I pulled out the spark plug and it had no spark. So I pulled off the covers, and the fuel tank and the starting cord mechanism, and had a look at the cut-off switch. The cable that you have to pull with the handle-bar level was a little stretched, resulting in the cut-off switch constantly making contact. I bent the bracket back just a touch, and checked again, SPARK!

So I squirted some fuel into the carb, gave it a spin with the drill and a socket on the crank-nut, and it fired right up! I gave it a good cleaning with some de-greaser, and put it all back together again. I did take the carb off and blow out all the passages, just for good measure. Then I put some clean fuel in the tank, and it fired right up on the first pull. Awesome!

I let it idle for a while, and it was fine. The oil is pretty dirty, so I'll change that out, and put in a new air filter. Total cost will be around $10 in parts and fluids. SCORE!

As soon as spring is in full swing I'll advertise the mowers etc. for sale, when the demand is higher. I'm hoping to have better luck selling them then.

Maggie dug a massive hole in the backyard today, and as a result she was FILTHY! So this evening I gave her a good shaving, then she had a bath in the shower with me. Now she is sparkling clean, but sulking under the bed. She doesn't like having a bath  :imaposer:

Oh, and last night Mrs Zog made a delicious Bobitie for supper, from scratch. She used a recipe that she cut out of a You magazine years ago. It was very lekker  :drif: :drif: :drif:  I even opened up one of my Black Lables for the occasion  :ricky:

Ok, that's about it all for now, back to work again tomorrow...  :ricky:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 02:46:02 am by Mr Zog »

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #8836 on: January 13, 2020, 04:42:51 am »
Well Done Gary, yet another lawn mower saved!  :thumleft:
Bobotie looks delicious  :drif:

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #8837 on: January 13, 2020, 05:28:55 am »

...Family are not great Boerie lovers, so I seldom cook it, wastes too much, yesterday I bought, not a roll (I am old school it should be a roll) but 4 straight pieces of wors, swambo packed it individually so I can have, I braaied tonight German Sausage Wors, Chicken, only one piece of wors, I ate 2/3 daughter grabbed the 1/3 it was delicious, really good Rump Boerie is a delicacy.  :biggrin:

Good boerie is simply delicious  :drif: :drif: :drif:

I have such a yearning for some simple "pap & wors met sous"  :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif:  :lol8:

I have simple tastes  :peepwall:  :ricky:

I have the same problem...
My local butcher makes batches of 'spekwors' which is minced only once before feeding directly into the casings.
The coarse texture and chunks of fat inside are deemed unacceptable to the family, but I love it!
I reminds me of a time when I was a lad of about 8 or 9.
My grandmother and I made some boerewors together in that way.
So I too have my specific piece of wors when the family gets to braai...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 10:06:45 am by Fudmucker »
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #8838 on: January 13, 2020, 06:14:49 am »

Agreed, bobotie with chutney, bananas and desiccated coconut is food for a king (with simple tastes)

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #8839 on: January 13, 2020, 06:31:27 am »

Agreed, bobotie with chutney, bananas and desiccated coconut is food for a king (with simple tastes)
Sommer net lekker!
Dakar 650
SR 500